Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

New Zenbook "Infinity", looks pretty nice:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/asus-zenbook-infinity-gorilla-glass-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

fookolt posted:

Shame there's no specs and the display ports are all mini versions. I'd totally be okay with a few additional millimeters of thickness if it means not having to worry about dongles.

Well the Asus press event is in progress now so more details will be coming shortly.

Edit: Maybe not, seems they were more interested in showing some dumb dual OS Android/Windows 8 tablet/hybrid.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 3, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

Where should I look for a more affordable solution? Should I try ebay? Even with more than $100 postage, getting a laptop at US prices would be far cheaper, although then I'd have to worry about what to do if I had any problems with it.

I've used http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ twice now in Australia, shipping costs around $70-80 for the cheapest option and both times it only took 4~ days to arrive. Keep in mind if you go over $1000 before shipping you will have to pay GST when it's delivered. Some manufactures they sell have international warranty (Asus) which is nice but it's not a huge deal as I sent my first laptop back after the screen died and they reimbursed me the postage cost and once repaired it only took 3 days to arrive.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly if you're not going to be playing any games and can live with 4-6 hours battery life getting an Ivy Bridge Ultrabook isn't that bad of an idea especially when they start getting discounted.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

SoggyGravy posted:

Apparently the Haswell Lenovo items are expected to golive on June 13th. This information came to me from a Lenovo rep. Not sure if that's well known or not but figured it couldn't hurt to state.

Dell also said their Haswell refreshes will be available around the same time.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Screen resolution seems to be the new thing for manufactures to push to differentiate themselves from the rest with Haswell, so there is going to be plenty to choose from if you can wait.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Really close to buying the new Sony Vaio Pro 13" with the i5 Haswell after spending a decent amount of time using one today, I was really surprised at how thin and light it is (thinner/lighter than the new MBA) and it's really well built.

The only real downside is they went with the i5 with the higher base clock speed (1.6ghz) and HD4400 instead of the lower base clock speed (1.3ghz) and HD5000 that's in the MBA. However they are both selling at pretty much the same price here in Australia but the Vaio resolution is 1080p and the full size HDMI port is nice.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

That new Samsung with the dumb name seems pretty good but I bet they are going to gently caress up the price.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Well, what price should it be? It's the thing everyone has wanted, a Macbook Air with a super high res screen. It'll be at least whatever a 13" rMBP costs, yeah? Probably a bit more.

Yeah that's a good point I didn't really consider it as a rMBP competitor, although those will probably get refreshed with a HD5000. However if it's priced in that area would it really be worth paying $400+ extra over the MBA/Sony Vaio Pro 13" when it's only real advantage is it's resolution (which isn't a huge selling point running Windows)

Cretin90 posted:

What do you think of this laptop?
The Clevo machines are almost impossible to beat for performace/price but it comes at the expense of weight/size and battery life, if you're only going to be using it as a replacement desktop that gets moved occasionally then these things are not that much of a concern.

quote:

750GB HDD @ 7200 RPM (note: do not require or even overly desire SSD)
Assuming this is customisable like most Clevo resellers are you should be able to keep this drive and add a msata SSD, which you should definitely be considering.

quote:

More RAM? Main uses are just gaming, "multimedia," multitasking. No compiling or video editing. 12GB runs $35, and 16GB $49. Would like to stream music while playing games, and things like that.
No 8GB is fine, you can always upgrade it later easily enough.

quote:

Do 15.6" laptops with this kind of hardware experience heat dispersion problems? Should I be looking into a 17.3" laptop instead?
These things are as thick as they are because of the extra cooling required, a friend has an Ivy Bridge version of a similar Clevo and hasn't had an issue.

quote:

Is this a good screen (in terms of panel type)
It's not an IPS, the one I used seemed decent though at least I couldn't really notice anything wrong with it.

It is overkill for those games though, if they have one based off the Clevo W650SR with Haswell that might be worth a look as it's much lighter/thinner and would still play those games easily.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser posted:

Hi guys, I'd love some advice.

My 7 year old Sony Vaio beast has about given up the ghost and I'm looking to get a netbook/ultrabook because I want something light to use on the couch and at coffeeshops to write on.

The new Macbook Air is great, but I absolutely love the look of the Asus Zenbook Infinity gorilla glass thing. The only problem is I want something soon and I don't know when that will come out, how much it'll cost and if it will even be any good or have some fatal flaw like embedding glass in your crotch.

So, should I go the safe bet or hold out?

The Zenbook Infinity doesn't look like it will be out till towards the end of the year, the new Sony Vaio Pro 13" which is available now is also another alternative to the new MBA.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've seen reports of people getting the Vaio Pro 13" for $1250-1300 at JB Hi-Fi/Harvey Norman.

Edit: The Good Guys selling 128gb/256gb Haswell MBA for $1118/$1318, so that seems crazy to pass up.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 24, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I don't think I'm going to ever be able to prevent myself from laughing every time I see that stupid name, it's something you would expect to see in a topic title here.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Sony have had Ultrabooks with i5 Haswells out for a couple of months now also :shrug:.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

That's the Duo (Tablet/Hybrid), the Vaio Pro's both the 11" and 13" with the i5-4200U have been available (at least here in Australia) for over a month now in retail stores.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Astr00 posted:

The Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus This Joke Might Be Getting Old Soon Edition is apparently available for pre-order through
Amazon.co.uk with a release set for July 12.

I hope that's just a place holder price :stare:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DrDork posted:

Either way, the point being that the Ativ has a very compelling piece of hardware (crazy high-res screen) that happily justifies its price without having to resort to a "it's the only one of its type" justifications.

It doesn't justify it's price at all, who are these Windows users that are holding out for resolutions of that size and willing to pay that much for it at the expense of far more important specs ?

You can get a 13" Haswell MBA with an i7, 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD and still come out ahead of the ATIV Plus (assuming that price is correct) by a decent margin, even the top of the line Vaio Pro is below that price and the top configuration Dell XPS 13 when it gets it's Haswell refresh would be as well.

fookolt posted:

The crazy part about the Razer Blade 14 is how expensive it is for how awful the screen is:

They used the screen for it's far lower latency which for a gaming laptop makes a lot of sense.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 8, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

dissss posted:

Not sure why you'd compare it to an Air instead of the retina Pro

The rMBP isn't Haswell and the Samsung has the same specs as the base model MBA. When the rMBP does get a refresh it won't be using one of those 15w TPD i5's that the MBA and ATIV Plus are using, it will more than likely use the same 28w i5 with GT3 that the Zenbook Infinity is using.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Brut posted:

EDIT: Does the XPS12 have an IPS screen? I thought it didn't but I can't find "IPS" anywhere dell's page for it.

The previous version did so I'd have to assume that the refresh does.

I just can't stand that combined bezel and frame on it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Revol posted:

I don't understand? You mean the LCD? Because the frame that the LCD spins on is separate from any bezel, I thought? It's literally just the frame by itself.

Yeah I mean't I just don't like how it looks when it's locked in laptop mode because it looks like the whole thing is just one massive bezel.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Cooling has never really been an issue with Clevo machines I don't see it being any different with the W230ST, they have all been thick enough that airflow has been pretty good. They can be extremely loud when it gets working though, however that's to be expected with the hardware they are running.

As above though it's far cheaper to buy RAM/SSD upgrades elsewhere and install them yourself, these things are very easy to upgrade and almost all aspects of them can be upgrades (even the CPU/GPU on larger models). They operate on pretty thin margins with the base system and make their money on upgrades and other services.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Did you consider running Windows 7 on the MBA ?

Although this is based on the previous generation CPU's it's still relevavnt:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/2787484/macbook-air-with-windows-7-review-the-ultrabook-to-rule-them-all

The Vaio Pro is a great machine though however if you're a heavy typist you might find the flex due to the carbon fibre too much to handle, when I tried one it was completely unnoticeable to me in use. As far as I know their issue with driver support are a thing of the past and they are much better now.

The Dell XPS 12 is also available now (shipping in a week or two) with Haswell so that could be another option.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 12, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

InstantInfidel posted:

Double posting to make sure this gets noticed: If the build quality doesn't suck dog poo poo, this is a pretty nifty piece of hardware. $1500 gets you a Haswell quad core and a 765M, all in a 13.3" package with a 1080p screen.

edit: a matte screen, no less.

You do realise this is just the Clevo W230ST which you were bagging out a few pages ago right?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Here in Australia ThinkPad support is all done by Lenovo and it is loving atrocious.

Edit: Not to say that is the case elsewhere, just how it is here.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 19, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

InstantInfidel posted:

That's... not true? Everything below the 650M is eclipsed by Haswell, and everything below the 650M is the majority of the market.

I know for a fact the last generation GT555M is better than both the 4600 and 5000 (not by very much but still), I'm sure benchmarks will confirm it also.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 21, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Brut posted:

Is there such a thing as a Clevo with an HD4600, no dGPU, and an IPS matte screen?

Nope, the closest is the W740SU which has the HD5200.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Michymech posted:

Wether or not this is over kill for my needs. At aus $2,389 is the money is pay for this good value?

ThinkPad/Lenovo are horrendously overpriced in Australia and their support is also the worst of all manufactures, I don't really know what alternative to recommend however. I guess it really comes down to how much of a difference is there between an older/slower NVS based card or a gaming GPU like the 650m for CAD work.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Michymech posted:

Seems to be that way :(. I'm looking on msy.com and they have a "gaming laptop" with

If a Geforce GPU will be sufficient then maybe look at an XPS 15 with the 640m? (can upgrade to an SSD yourself later).

You really don't want a 17" behemoth for school purposes.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

:ssh: It would be illegal to sell laptops this way, as you'd be avoiding the Australian VAT by doing this; the VAT is a big chunk of the price difference.

GST is 10% in Australia, the price increase on the laptop quoted is 58% and it's not even the worst offender.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Even if you want to stick with native Windows system for battery life, replaceable batteries, etc, it's also really silly to drop $1,200 on a system when the new ThinkPads are coming out soon-ish and the T440 will probably offer a Quadro version of the 740M (or at least the probably-Quadro-730M in the T440s) and a 1920x1080 IPS screen.

Not that I'm defending his choice but it's been well established that being in Australia ThinkPads/Lenovo are hilariously overpriced, the i7 t430 with 1600x900 non ips screen and no SSD costs over $2300 (although on special now for the bargain of $1900).

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

dissss posted:

I don't think dual core i7s are worth it in general, even at the $180 premium on the MBA

It's a bit different for the Haswell MBA as the difference in clock speeds between the i5 and i7 is the largest it's ever been, benchmarks have it at 25-30% increase in single threaded performance at very little cost to battery life/thermals.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I understand there's a special type of SSDs that fit in laptops? Is there a recommended one?

You're probably referring to MSATA drives, they are really only used in ultrabooks. If your laptop only takes MSATA drives then the regular SSDs like above will not work/fit.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 14, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have a regular 2.5 inch 240gb SSD on my current desktop that I could easily take out, so if I can use that, it'd be fantastic.

The y410 takes standard 2.5 inch drives so any standard SSD will work with it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Gophermaster posted:

Because I spend fully half my time travelling for work and I don't want to compromise on gaming ability and give zero shits about portability beyond it's ability to be carried in a bag.

Well apparently you're not a redeemable person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Any clue when it will actually be available? Everything I can find says it's announced but gives no estimate when I can actually buy one ... or what a fully specc'd model might cost.

Amazon has the base i5 model shown as September 10th.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Zero. None.

I wouldn't agree with that, it's probably the only laptop I'd consider getting the i7 because you're going from 1.3GHz to 1.7GHz and it has hardly any impact on the battery life.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm almost sold on either the Thinkpad Yoga or the Yoga Pro 2, going to wait and see how the wifi turns out because that was a massive issue with the first one.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm so tempted to pick up that Chromebook, having never used one before how usable are they running Ubuntu ?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've preordered the HP Chromebook but now I'm having trouble deciding between it and the new Acer one, I guess I'll wait for some more hands on reviews to come up.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

MikeJF posted:

She wants a roughly 13", decently specced, ultra-light notebook. Weight's pretty important. The Air's about as expensive as she'll go.

The Sony Vaio Pro 13 is the closest you're going to find, it's lighter than the Air and has a better screen but it's got a lower battery life (although still really good). Some people don't like the flex in the keyboard which is due to it being made out of carbon fibre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

Also, for anyone who has a 2013 Chromebook, what are your general impressions? I hear the C720 is ugly and feels cheap, but it is rocking Haswell architecture where most others are still on ARM. Is there a Chromebook thread that I missed looking through the forum?

The C720 is fantastic, compared to something like the Chromebook 11 sure it may not be the best looking thing but it's by far the most functional Chromebook, it runs Ubuntu extremely well to the point people have it running Steam Linux games fairly well.

Unfortunatly the SSD is the M.2/NGFF form factor which are not overly common at this point, people have been successfully replacing them with these fine however: http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-Solid-State/dp/B00EZ2E8KC

That said though if you're going to go through getting it running Ubuntu and upgrading the SSD you're going to be spending a similar amount of time as you would be replacing the HDD in your current laptop.