Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mu Zeta posted:

I would wait for the Haswell Thinkpads if only to see how much they cost. The IPS screen alone is worth the wait because the display on the T430 is hot garbage.

Hopefully the haswell thinkpad doesn't do too many of the design alterations made in the T431

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
What kind of effects on battery life does the quad core option on the t440p have? Also when did they remove the option of intel wireless?

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 26, 2013

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gwaihir posted:

That's funny, I wonder if they ran out of stock on the Intel cards or something. They should have the Intel 7xxx series wireless-AC cards available.

Also a quad core isn't really going to hit battery life for most things. Modern intel quads will idle at the same wattage as a dual core will, and it will only really use more power if you're doing something that can tax it. Even then, in many cases the quad might be faster to complete whatever task is going on, so will use less power in total.

Thanks for the answer. I could see them running out of Intel cards from holiday sales so I think I'll wait a bit until they get the Intel AC card back in stock.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's looking like the left third of the display on my T440p is starting to crap itself. I could probably try and replace that, but the system is also starting to show its age when running some of my work software. I don't use it as a primary gaming platform, but it should at least be capable since sometimes I do use it for that purpose when I'm not at home to use my desktop. At the moment I'm looking at somewhere in the range of 1000-1400 USD. At the moment the Zephyrus G and similar are what I am considering since I wasn't able to configure a T series how I wanted within budget. Any other options I should be looking at? I suspect the answer will ultimately be wait to see if there are any sales next month, but I'd like to have a list of models to keep an eye on.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DrDork posted:

A big part of the question is going to be "how much GPU do you want?" since the T440p was pretty anemic on that front, and also how much battery/weight are you looking for? The answer to "high end gaming on a system that moves once a week" vs "I'm ok with everything on medium and it needs to last a business day every day" are pretty different, of course.

With respect to battery, I would prefer if it lasts at least 4-5 hours on general light activity like web browsing/office suite. Weightwise, I have the 9 cell battery on my current machine putting it around 5 lb, and I'd be ok with going up to around 5.5 lb since I do carry it around campus every day. I'm ok with playing things on medium on the go, though I won't say no to more power as long as my other criteria are satisfied.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo has announced new gaming notebooks based on Ryzen 4000.

Also maxes out at RTX2060. They don't specify, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the 65w variant.

It is indeed specified as the 65 W variant in the spec sheet.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hmm That is interesting. I've had my eye on the G14 since the original announcement since it's about the time to cycle to new hardware.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
How is the fan noise on the G14 when running silent mode and just doing office work? If it's office/classroom usable in those use cases I'll probably be picking one up.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bull3964 posted:

So, at this point I think I'm waiting until the XPS17 is out and reviewed/benchmarked and then I'm going to make a decision between that and the G14.

I guess it sounds weird cross shopping them since the XPS17 is so much bigger and likely to be a grand more expensive in the RTX2060 config. It will also only have a 60hz screen.

But the thing is, this machine isn't going to be made to be a primary gaming device (I have a GTX1080 3700x system with 144hz 1440p to that). It's going to be a system to do Questlink with my Oculus Quest, occasionally game from the couch, and use it to play controller based games on the TV (as well as being just a drat powerful machine for general use.)

The G14 is likely the smarter play, but I cannot get over dat screen on the XPS17.

I don't actually need it at all, I'm just using my flimsy excuse for Questlink to buy a machine with a dGPU

To be fair, these are also my main considerations at this point too. If they had a Ryzen variant of the XPS I'd snap buy that, but we'll see. The vapor chamber and associated thermal/noise performance might end up tipping the scales for me.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bull3964 posted:

AMD confirmed that there won't be any new laptops using smartshift this year, the G5 SE is the only one till 2021.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-no-more-smartshift-laptops-until-2021

Well isn't that just dandy :negative:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sounds like I'll have to wait until they put that on sale since it's a bit above my price range for the configuration I want. Do manufacturers usually use the normal 2280 size M.2? I might be able to save a bit by just replacing the SSD myself and throwing the spare into my desktop.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hadlock posted:

I haven't watched the video but WHAT is that plug. Looks like an LPT-1 parallel printer port

I don't see it as being too different from all the old proprietary docking ports. At this point I'm probably just waiting to see how the new Legion 5/7 and zephyrus G1x turn out since they all appear to be acceptable in specs and not looking super gamery.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lockback posted:

I think it's either compromise on a 15.6" screen or go ROG and just get a $20 webcam that you keep in your bag.

Or if you somehow manage to see an in-stock Flow X13 that isn't force bundled with the external 3080.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 9, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ilkhan posted:

Tiger Lake-H and 3050/3050Ti announced this morning. The expected sleu of new laptop models as well.

I might end up going with something like tiger lake/3060 provided it's not vaporware like most of the Ryzen based laptops that I've considered.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The XPS 15 could be another viable option, though it's in the awkward position of having a Tiger Lake upgrade announced, but not yet in place. It's also all USB-C if that ends up being a problem.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looks like Tiger Lake-H does shore up a bit of the performance difference, but I remain a bit skeptical due to the power draw.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lockback posted:

Best Value would be a ROG G15/14. ~1500 for a 3060. HP Omen isn't bad for ~1100-1400 but you get higher quality from the ROG.

You could step up to something with a 3070, like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...-grey/6448848.p

Basically trading battery life for some extra perf. I wouldn't bother with the 3080, honestly.

Shout out to the Legion Laptop too, those are supposedly pretty equivalent quality to the ROG for about the same price. If you enjoyed your y510p the Legion might be a nice switchover.

If only this year's Legion models weren't basically vaporware in the US. One thing to note for the 2020 models is that the Legion 7's hinge design is terrible since it's basically two rivets through a tiny piece of metal on each side.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm more interested in where the 6600 will wind up since that's usually the market segment I look at for laptops. Now whether we actually see any relevant products this year is a different story.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Now that the Legion 5 is theoretically available in the US I'm thinking it's price point makes it not particularly compelling with how much competition there is now.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Taerkar posted:

I'm thinking about adding a 1TB m.2 to the G15 Strix I just got. I've got previous experience with the WD Black m.2 and the Samsung EVO 860 series of 2.5" SSDs. This will be the secondary drive on the system to go with the 500GB m.2 that came with the system and as such will be used for gaming only. Is the WD Blue a solid one for this or are one of the others better for this sort of use?

Off the top of my head the WD Blue (SN550) is one of the SSD thread's top picks for value if you don't need absolute peak performance. I'm actually considering picking one up for my desktop at some point so I can either cut my lower capacity HDD. Just make sure you don't accidentally order the SATA one since they do make an M.2 SATA Blue. If you just want cheap bulk storage and don't care to much about write performance and read/write endurance, then QLC stuff might be an option.

One other thing is you might want to check what kind of drive it came with. If it's a QLC SSD the Blue might actually be higher performance since it's TLC.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 15, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Taerkar posted:

It appears to be this drive

From what I can tell that is at least TLC so it will probably be similar enough.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sigma 6 posted:

That sounds pretty great. If it was under 2k it would be even better...

So I still haven't gotten that SSD upgrade because I saw this and had second thoughts.
https://johnmakphotography.com/best-ssd-for-lightroom-and-phototoshop/

In the meantime the one discussed in this thread has gone up in price by 50 bucks and actually sold out.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627133-REG/wd_wdba3v0020bnc_wrsn_blue_2tb_sn550_nvme.html/overview

Wondering if it is worth 100 bucks more to go with the WD black vs. blue. (2600 vs. 3400 MBs) It is rated as best for video editing which is close enough to VJ work (video mixing) for me.

The Sabrent looks like the better deal TBH
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1597326-REG/sabrent_sb_rktq4_2tb_2tb_rocket_q4_nvme.html

... wait... is this the same thing 100 cheaper?
https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-rocket-q-2tb/p/0D9-001Y-00025

Other thoughts about the Asus G15.

1. The track pad left click vs. right click thing is super annoying. The right click seems to extend a lot farther over vs. left click. Half the time I am obviously clicking on the left half of the trackpad but it still thinks it is right click. Maybe it's the size of the trackpad. Maybe it's me ... but it feels apparent.

2. Power / activity light is noticeably bright and impossible to turn off AFAIK. Not that big of a deal but if you are sleeping anywhere near the thing it is pretty drat bright.

3. Still haven't successfully been able to get it to default to Nvidia when I unplug it. The thing always insists on going to the onboard GPU when I unplug it. I have tried changing the settings in the armory crate but it still seems to turn off the Nvidia gpu randomly. Very annoying because I wouldn't use the onboard GPU AT ALL if there was a choice to disable it. Guessing there might be in the BIOS.

4. Screen is very thin and has noticeable flex. This maybe isn't a bad thing but coming from the surface book 2 the build feels cheap. I mean it has a LOT less glare then the surface book 2 and that part is great but it's the only part of the machine that gets me worried. The fans blow directly onto the screen and the flex is definitely there - so don't push too much on any given corner.

5. Audio also is noticeably quieter compared to when I bought it. I don't know if this is again becuase of battery vs. being plugged or some other random power setting but it just isn't loud anymore. I remember it being astonishingly loud when I first bought it so I feel like there must be a setting I am missing somehwere. Logically the audio and video would change when unplugged but I really don't want it to change my power settings just because I unplug it.

All of these are relatively minor things compared to the overall portability and power. The trickle charge from the USB C charging is very slow but that is to be expected from using an alternative method of charging.

Does the G15 take only the 3rd gen M.2 or will it also support the 4th gen M.2?

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like if it works with the G14 then probably will be fine for the G15
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/hazb31/sabrent_rocket_q_2tb_fits_perfectly_into_the_g14/

Honestly you should probably just check in on the SSD thread for specific advice on SSDs. Off the top of my head the main difference between the WD Black and Blue is the presence/absence of an on board DRAM cache.

Regarding those two Sabrent drives, the more expensive one is paying a premium for PCIe 4.0 which the G15 doesn't have anyways.

RE: PCIe question. As a general rule different generations of PCIe will be compatible with each other, though you're obviously only going to get the speeds of the older generation.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 23, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I think the only time that it isn't a scam is when it's an AHVA or PLS panel which people don't always recognize as more or less being iterations on IPS (mostly the latter since it has VA in the acronym). Those almost always specify the panel technology though.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AfricanBootyShine posted:

14" Pro is... not a good deal. It does come with a 512 GB SSD/16 GB RAM standard, but it starts at $2k.

I think I'm either going to try to find a used Air or wait for the USB4 Ryzen laptops to come out.

Honestly I'm sort of okay with that since 14" is the size that I'm accustomed to and upspecing the 13" puts it to something like $1800 at which point I'll just take the size I'm used to with the extra ports and brighter display.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dennis McClaren posted:

Is there a recommended amount of Gig's you should Leave on your C: system drive when you're partitioning? I don't think it needs more than like 100 if you're just using it for system files and installing all your games and media on your D: partition, right?

This sort of depends on what you're running since I've had programs (usually terrible scientific software) flip out if I didn't install them into C:\Program Files. Some programs also really like to dump a lot into user\AppData.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If I more or less just want a small USB-C hub for travel, is the Anker Power expand 5 or 7 in one a decent choice? My main requirements are at least 2 USB-A for legacy devices and ideally an extra type C port for my phone. Passthrough charging is not necessary, but could be useful.