Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have been recruited into helping my girlfriend find a 'nice' laptop for her sister. So I set out looking at something with an IPS screen and good physical build quality.

I first started my search with the good old Thinkpad T-series, but we decided to look for something more slim. After physically looking at what there is to offer, I think we a pretty set on a 13" 2 in 1.

Right now I think I have narrowed to the following in the $800-1000 range.
-lenovo yoga 720 13" - seems okay but cost of upgrading to 512gb drive seems silly
-hp Spectre 360 - a bit more expensive base price, but the incremental upgrades are reasonably priced.
-refurbished surface book - very slick package but the idea of being stuck with a 128 or 256gb drive in a glued shut case scares me.

I doubt she needs a ton of storage now, but she probably would use whatever we get for ~5+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

I've heard that the TN panel on those particular Dells are bad even for TN.
I got my girlfriend a Thinkpad T420 with TN a few years back. Every time I try to watch a video with her on it I regret not getting IPS. It is okay straight on, but it is terrible if our heads are at different heights.

e:TBH I can't remember if it was an option on the T-series then.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 4, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Not sure if it matters, but turns out it is actually a T430.
This is what this website looks like straight on:

and from lower... it gives a solarization type effect in dark scenes:

It bugs me a hell of a lot more than her so in the end it is okay. It has been a solid reliable laptop since I threw an SSD in there. For some reason windows defender paired with a mechanical drive made it unresponsive when coming back form sleep.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

peak debt posted:

And there is rarely 0% financing that doesn't come with a pitfall.
This is the standard pitfall:

quote:

Interest will be charged to your account from the transaction posting date if the purchase balance is not paid in full by your Payment due date in January, 2019
...purchases will be subject to the Standard APR rates, which range from 19.99% - 29.99% variable APR...

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 6, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

So... uhh... just a heads up: HP cannot will not cancel orders even when the ship date is 10 days after order date. Now I get to deal with these two identical laptops that are in transit to me.

Statutory Ape posted:

My personal rule is that if I can't scrape together a grand to buy something, I probably can't afford it and shouldnt be financing it
:same:
I wouldn't want to be just a small unforeseen hiccup in my life cascade into 30%APR.... but this isn't BFC so... :shrug:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The best thing about programmable RGB lights is turning them off.

Statutory Ape posted:

i can guarantee you that the gooniness of the actual individuals that might own a gaming laptop far outweighs the aesthetic of the laptop
I'd rather be viewed as plain weird instead of gamer weird. Mostly to avoid one sided conversations about twitch or whatever shooterman game is hot.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think you are underestimating how much a SSD helps performance.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Update on my duplicate orders from HP: They were considerate enough to send an email saying that they were unable to cancel my order two days after it shipped... 12 days after placing the order.

wolrah posted:

IMO they haven't made a good mouse since they used ADB.

I thought you surely must be exaggerating, but I went and looked at the apple mouse wiki page and brought back repressed memories of hockey pucks and a mouse where the entire thing is the button.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you think you'd be okay without a screen that completely detaches there are a lot of other 2 in 1 laptops out there with good screens and okay digitizers. I noticed Lisa from mobile tech review seemed to do some good comparison you might want to check out. You can probably spend a grand less on something that is almost as good minus a bit of polish but isn't glued shut.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If drawing is how you make money you should definitely check out them out in person. Check out best buy to see if they have some on display. I know the one I went to in San Jose had the 2in1s from Lenovo, Dell, hp, and Microsoft all set up to check out.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The amount charged to upgrade from 250GB to 500GB on that thing just seems bonkers to me. $300.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Base line model only was on discount?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

apropos man posted:

I thought "Yeah, the screen can't be that bad since it's a Thinkpad. It wouldn't have passed quality if it was atrocious".
Hahahaha:

CopperHound posted:

Not sure if it matters, but turns out it is actually a T430.
This is what this website looks like straight on:

and from lower... it gives a solarization type effect in dark scenes:

It bugs me a hell of a lot more than her so in the end it is okay. It has been a solid reliable laptop since I threw an SSD in there. For some reason windows defender paired with a mechanical drive made it unresponsive when coming back form sleep.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just picked up a 13" Spectre x360 for somebody else... So no long term review here:

Good:
-solid build quality
-actually comes with the pen and a laptop sleeve
-looks good (if that sort of thing is important to you)
-pen and touch input seems great from a non artist perspective

Less good from my point of view:
-Screen is a super glossy fingerprint magnet
-touchpad has the buttons built into it which is a little awkward for me... But I pretty much hate all touchpads in general.
-16:9 aspect ratio doesn't quite feel right in tablet mode.

Overall, if you are looking for a convertible with a high quality finish for less than micro$oft money I highly recommend it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That $70 tablet PC linked on the previous page doesn't have pen support does it?

If it did I'd say just buy ten of those instead.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My partner has $1000 dollars to spend on a computer that will fade into the ether next week. We bought her sister a Spectre 360 in December, it's nice but the wide screen feels really weird in tablet mode.

Is there something else in that price range we should consider? I know surface has 3:2 screens, but :homebrew:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

A week and a half ago I made the mistake of placing an order with Lenovo when I don't have a huge amount of time to sit around and wait for it. At checkout the estimated ship date was listed as today. Now the order still shows processing with and estimated delivery date of July 10. I am leaving the country for 2 months on the 9th :suicide:

Last laptop I ordered was from HP and they shipped in about 3-4 days.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

took multiple days and a phone call to get my XPS 15 ordered, and nearly a week later it still hasn't shipped.

I'm a little anxious to get modeling on a capable machine instead of this Razer Blade Stealth I'm borrowing. I feel your pain!
I canceled my order for a ThinkPad X1 Tablet. It seemed like it would be some decent hardware, but Lenovo doesn't seem to give any shits about customer retention. Long story short: they either cannot or will not modify an order in any way. The won't even let you change the shipping option.

I sure hope they can get some management in there that can change the sales process to "Underpromise Overdeliver" as opposed to the exact opposite.

So... any recommendations in the 1000-1300 range that I can actually get for sure before July 7th that:
-Portable (12-14" screen)
-not a super short 16:9 screen with huge bezels (So.. I guess 3:2?)
-not glued shut (I'd like to have the option of changing the ssd)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe less sexy, but have any of you gotten your hands on an HP Pro x2?

e:or elite x2
oh, they actually have an option to not pay $150 for windows.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 22, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I guess I'm sold more on the screen ratio rather than the form factor. 16:9 is terrible on a 13" screen.

I'll hold off for now then. Maybe there will be some more options this winter, or at the very least the early adopters of the Huawei Matebook X Pro will let me know if there are any issues with the laptop or support.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is there any conclusive info on the number of pci-e lanes available to the tb3 port? What about for the i5 version without the descreet graphics?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

I'm pretty sure she doesn't need an SSD or anything,
Yes she does. This is the single best performance per dollar option there is.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

The XPS 13, at least the old body style only had a 2 lane TB3 connection. It was not great in my personal experience.
Were you trying with an external or internal display? The new (9370) xps13 supposedly has four lanes.

I wonder if the CPU thermal throttling would be a bottle neck.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Milkman posted:

Does anyone use one of these 2-in-1s?
I played around with the Spectre 360. It is fine for some uses and having a pen helps for real use. My main complaint is that 16:9 is an akward size for tablet use.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Milkman posted:

That's the one I'm most interested in, at least from reading reviews. The 13". I was looking at the Dell XPS too.
As long as tablet isn't your primary use case, I say go for it if you don't pay much of a premium for the convertible. I don't think the 360 costed much more than an equivalent clamshell when I bought it for a relative last black Friday/cyber Monday weekend.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Amara posted:

I have to run Epic on it.
You don't access epic through Citrix?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just put in an order for an xps 13-9370 from Dell Outlet less than 24 hours ago and already got the shipping notice. Yay. So much faster and cheaper than built to order.
Now I just hope the device wasn't returned for a defect.

E: if you don't see the exact build you want, just keep checking back. I didn't see a 16gb build with a 1080p screen at first, but four showed up an hour later. It looks like available inventory gets updated in small batches.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 19, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Just got my partner's Dell Outlet xps13 in the mail today. Close enough to brand new as far as I can tell but I was amazed by how little was in the box. Just the laptop, power supply, and one sheet of paper with battery safety junk written on it along with a bare minimum of packing materials to keep things secure.

I have a question about undervolting: do any of the options work without messing up when the computer sleeps? I don't want to leave her with a computer that needs janitoring.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I now have throttle stop running at -150mv CPU/cache and -100mv gpu. I think it is stable and it comes back from sleep, but I haven't tried a multi hour burn in or hibernate yet.

I have it set to run on the login of the primary user, but is there a graceful way to handle it with different user accounts without double applying offsets? If not, no big deal for our use case.

E: also windows hello is equally creepy and awesome. Just sit in front of the computer and it logs into the correct account.

E: oh and OneDrive now can do sync on demand/remove local copies only so that makes having a smaller SSD bearable. I think I'm going to stop paying for Google drive and move all my stuff over.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 29, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It allows direct 1 to 4 pixel mapping instead of blurring edges. Try looking at text in a non native resolution if you need a good example.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

isndl posted:

I can configure it for primarily AC use and instead of topping off to 100% all the time it'll stop charging at e.g. 80% to reduce battery wear. Pretty neat.
Thanks for the tip. Just made the change on our 9370, but I should look into the battery manager software so I can easily change it back before I plan to go mobile.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

isndl posted:

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes laptops with clit mice besides Lenovo. Your options are pretty limited there.
Some Dell laptops have them, but it is just the boring businesses models.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I bought the fanciest XPS 13 a few weeks ago since Best Buy had it marked down to 1699 and it's probably the nicest laptop I've ever owned. I am running linux on the machine because I am back in school for software development and am trying to broaden my knowledge base a bit. I have a desktop pc which a 1440p monitor that I run windows on and play video games and stuff with. I am considering buying a 4k monitor and some sort of dock for the XPS 13 so I can use either computer at my desk. However, I am concerned about keeping two sets of mice and keyboards in a limited space. I've seen there are things that allow you to switch your keyboard and mouse between two systems and am curious if something like that might work if used in conjunction with a USB C dock for my laptop? Would there be any drawbacks with a setup like that?
I *think* some monitors can act as a kvm themselves now.

E: also this might get you some of the functionality you are looking for without the hardware:
http://www.aka.ms/mm

E2: oh right, I don't know about Linux support.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That seems okay, and going through Costco saves you from having to deal with the worst part of Lenovo laptops (which is dealing with Lenovo).

If you want to go a little cheaper you can probably get a refurbished XPS 13 from Dell outlet. If I didn't know, I couldn't tell the one I had received wasn't new.

They update their listings in small batches, so if you don't see the configuration you like, try checking back in a few hours.

They have this listed for $1003 right now:

https://m.dell.com/h5/m/r/outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdY6SzYhtqyPcwRy%2fE9FGKuEksYJi%2fBsLECnCJXporCvyaL6BElHioI6qSwBXjJa1U9Ujnv79zTWqAEkZ9W8Di3AngqGNoMOQRx0FSO5PEaDzaTimv23z21bH0Lalk8Jsm%2faDRfGQFKS0T6TDIRdxpzfo2FDOSIbViUSEnMs6acvs08trCXbNB2wnxE30lenqRQ%3d%3d posted:

XPS 13 - 9370
Intel Core 8th Generation i5-8350U Processor (Quad Core,1.70GHz,6MB Cache,15W)
Windows 10 Pro
256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
13.3inch FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Display, Silver Machined Aluminum
Only 256GB. The only 16gb/512gb I saw also had 4k displays.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 24, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you're lucky, it is as simple as settings>update & security>change product key. Most laptops have a sticker with a product key on them somewhere. Maybe under the battery if it is removable.

You might end up with a big mess of drivers if you aren't doing a clean install between swaps.

e:If it still doesn't like the hardware change after changing the key, you might have to link it up with your respective microsoft accounts.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 30, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

retrieving a key from a non boot drive is a little more complicated, but this should work for you if you select an external registry: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

I need to replace my laptop yesterday. Has anybody had any issues in regards to Dell or Lenovo Outlet laptops arriving at their doorstep way late? I remember reading that it can take a while for Lenovo stuff to ship, but I think that was for custom laptops.
My Dell outlet laptop arrived in a few days. I imagine they aren't listed on the page until they are boxed up ready to ship.

If you need a new laptop by a certain time, do not trust the time estimates on the Lenovo (and probably Dell also) order pages.
TBH, while they make some great laptops, I would recommend limiting your interaction with Lenovo as much as possible. You will be more successful trying to ask a wall to move out of your way.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For "future proofing" your money is probably better spent on ram than the latest generation processor when you account for the fact that you can't upgrade that ram after the fact in an xps13.

E: the SSD can be upgraded, so don't feel like to need to pay the crazy price Dell charges to upgrade to a 1tb drive.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 2, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, I have a question about Lenovo batteries. If the serial number listed in the vantage app doesn't match what is printed on the battery, is it a pretty sure sign that it is counterfeit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Lol, nice catch. I'm going to go get my thirty bucks back and see if I can get Paypal to screw them for trying to pass off fakes as genuine.