Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

so my original zenbook has started acting up (i dropped it awhile back and the charger had been finicky for the last year, now its intermittent freezing up) so i'm in the market for a new ultrabook.

I was initially looking at the yoga 2 pro however watching the mobiletechreview comparison (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAa7b19CjE) with the Samsung Ativ book 9, actually swayed me towards getting the samsung. Yes, i know the Yoga 2 is a better value however i'm a slightly vain motherfucker and really like the look of the ativbook and the slightly better bactery life is a plus. I don't know much about samsung. is there a consensus on whether this is a good buy or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Samsung ativ book 9 plus base model is $300 off at the Microsoft store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Samsung-ATIV-Book-9-Plus-NP940X3G-K03US-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/productID.283976900

Its probably the best possible windows ultrabook with the only complaint being expensive.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

I posted a little on this thread before, but it's probably better just to ask for recommendations.

I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my ~3 year old Acer. Specifically I want something that is good to use when traveling. Here's what I am looking for:
* ~13 inch screen, though I could go down to 11 inches
* very good battery life (think "enough to last through a cross-country flight")
* can play basic games (indie titles, Crusader Kings 2, Civ 5 with settings turned down, stuff like that. No Battlefield/FPS games. Yes I realize that games will reduce battery life, I'm fine with that.)
* decent keyboard
* good touchpad, since I don't use the eraser thing that Lenovos have. I have a good travel mouse but there isn't exactly room for it on a plane. Physical buttons are a must.
* SSD of course. I have a 128GB Samsung 830 that I can bring over from my Acer if needed.
* light and thin
* nice to have: touch, combo tablet/laptop form factor (like the Surface or Lenovo Yoga) to give me extra room on the plane's tray table, being able to switch out the battery

Price - this won't be used all that often (I travel a few times a year), so I don't really want to spend $1500. Maybe around $1000 give or take.

So far the contenders are the Surface 2 Pro and Yoga 2.

Not a direct comparison but mobile tech review is a good detailed walkthrough of the two:

Surface pro vs thinkpad yoga here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/MS-Surface-Pro-2-vs-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Yoga.htm

and yoga 2 pro here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-Yoga-2-Pro.htm

if you're between the yoga 2 pro or the Surface, both are fine devices. Most people with surface 2 pros like them a lot and the yoga is solid. The biggest distinction is size. The surface is smaller which is both a pro or a con depending of what you're looking for. Battery life is around 6.5 to 7 hours, maybe slightly more on the yoga 2.

Personally, I compared both these devices before getting a Samsung ativ book. I'd lean towards the Yoga myself. One caveat to remember is that you'll need to set aside extra for a type cover for the surface.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Sneaky Fast posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the MacBook Air and the Lenovo Yoga 2. I basically know what I'm going to get with the macbook, but does anyone have thoughts or experience with the yoga?

Or does anybody suggest another ultra book? Price range around $1500.

At that price range you should also check out the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus. I have one and it is glorious. I picked up a consumer reports June 2014 electronics guide and they have it rated as their best 13inch laptop beating the MacBook pro and air as well as giving it the highest overall score for any laptop.

Its basically what happens when a PC manufacturer decides to sacrifice nothing to cost and go balls to the wall. Its pricey (more expensive in some ways than macs) but very very well done. You get a the high resolution screen of the Yoga with better battery life (although not quite MacBook air level) and better build quality.

Check out this comparison as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAa7b19CjE

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Quick question. For the myriad windows 8 touchscreen labtops (ie Lenovo Carbon and Samsung ativbook 9) is it possible to buy a stylus to use with onenote?

I presume these labtops don't have digitizer's with their capacitive screens but would something like an ipad stylus work? And does onenote 2013 support this?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

KillHour posted:

I have a new job that has me flying. A lot. I want a laptop that I can use on plane rides to watch movies / play games / keep myself entertained.

Requirements:

Well built
Good screen (1080p minimum, IPS)
Powerful enough to run the kinds of games you can reasonably play on an airplane (think Civ).
Decent SSD. No 120GB crap.
Small enough to actually use on an airplane
Not a Mac

Strong preferences:

Ability to use as a tablet (like a Yoga or a Surface Book)
Keyboard that makes me not want to kill myself
Doesn't burn the gently caress out of my lap

Nice to have:

Lots of storage space for games and movies
You can never have enough RAM
Premium materials (i.e. made of metal)
Numpad for roguelikes.

Budget: <$2000. Prefer under 1500.

I'm leaning towards the surface book i5 with discrete GPU, but wasn't sure, since it's on the high end of my budget. I really do prefer a 2 in 1, just because I see myself using it in tablet mode a lot.

I have a surfacebook i5 with gpu. On the whole, its a really great machine. Its the first laptop where I hand it to people to look at something and they comment on how nice a laptop it is unprompted.

It's not flawless though as others have mentioned. It took Microsoft a shamefully long time to fix the power management issues but now battery life when both sides are attached is sublime. Battery life for the tablet alone is 3ish hours at best. And the tablet is too big to be used by itself for extended periods of time although its great for reading an article in bed or on the couch or taking notes like a clipboard with the pen.

The screen is wobbly in normal laptop mode when you use it as a touch screen (unavoidable since its quite top heavy as all the actual computer bits are in the screen part). If you set it up as tent mode, the wobbliness won't be a problem. Although you need to detach the screen, flip it over and reattach. Slightly less convenient than the yoga for that.

On the whole, its not perfect by any means. But its really really solid for what it does. I agree most people would be better served by an XPS 13 though but in your case, I think you'll like the surfacebook. Also, windows hello is AWESOME on the surfacebook (unlike on windowsphone, but that's a separate and much sadder tale)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

dissss posted:

My Surface Pro 3 has been the least stable, most disappointing electronics product I've ever used.

anecdotally my surfacebook has been great. The first computer i've had where people unprompted say wow, this is a nice computer, even lifelong mac users.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

haven't been in the laptop game in a bit but my Surfacebook 2 is starting to have issues so looking for a replacement. The Surface Laptop Studio doesn't catch me in the same way unfortunatly.

Things i'm looking for
Premium design and build quality. I actually really love with surfacebook's feel.
Light gaming- Crusader kings or Civ 6, nothing too graphically intensive.
No real budget limitations. can get it reimbursed by job if i order in the next two weeks.

Looking at the XPS 13 plus but it seems to be brand new and very little reviews out.
Surface Laptop 4 seems to be a bit down in performance comparatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Man...I've been waiting for 14" Razers to adopt a 16:10 aspect ratio. This is looking really good, but my current laptop is less than 2 years old. And I'm not exactly sure I need this much horsepower. >_>

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/razer-...p?skuId=6549075

I just bought a Razer 14 (dumbly 8 days before black friday so i missed out on the deal. i could return and reorder on amazon but eh).
Its a wonderful device really. Was looking for something that felt as quality as my old Surfacebook and could hadn't games when travelling. Price is the only knock against it so far. Its a really quality feeling device. can't recommend enough!

(caveat, haven't needed to call support and scuttlebutt is razor support isn't the best).