Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Looking for a gaming laptop in the ~1k range (+/- 200, let's say). Anything better out there than this Acer? https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Jinnigan posted:

Looking for a gaming laptop in the ~1k range (+/- 200, let's say). Anything better out there than this Acer? https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C ?

literally no

i bought one last week and a few other people in this thread have one as well. buy it and feel zero remorse

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Awesome, thank you!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jinnigan posted:

New Dell 7000 Gaming series is also a good buy, depending on your level of tolerance for your laptop screaming "GAMER! WE GOT A GAMER HERE!" to everyone that sees it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New Dell 7000 Gaming series is also a good buy, depending on your level of tolerance for your laptop screaming "GAMER! WE GOT A GAMER HERE!" to everyone that sees it.

The huge PREDATOR text and Decepticon-like logo on the Acer are far more muted.

I think Clevo is the only manufacturer that puts in discrete graphics without a corresponding garish color scheme or weird paneling of some sort.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's also these Vostros - looks like they're only really available in Asia though?

Looks a lot like the 7577 only not gamery... but you can have a 1060 in it

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If that had a 13 or 14 inch screen, I would have regrets.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Ynglaur posted:

The huge PREDATOR text and Decepticon-like logo on the Acer are far more muted.

I think Clevo is the only manufacturer that puts in discrete graphics without a corresponding garish color scheme or weird paneling of some sort.

Well, Razers are pretty tasteful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

They're the easiest to cover up, certainly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

Nope, that's the best ~$1k gaming laptop, period. The only alternative would be stepping down to a i5 + 1050 Ti model at perhaps $800 or less (refurbished, found commonly on eBay;) the price difference between the Predator and anything lesser has to be significant in order for it to be worth it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you use the ethernet port a lot, especially with cables having anti-snag bits, those flappy ports are the devil.

It's the thing I hate the most about my Asus, I will never buy another laptop with that junk.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

If you use the ethernet port a lot, especially with cables having anti-snag bits, those flappy ports are the devil.

It's the thing I hate the most about my Asus, I will never buy another laptop with that junk.

Then just get one of these and use it as a mini-docking station.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Has Dell fixed the coil whine issues in the XPS 13 yet? Or has anything about the XPS 13 series changed at all recently? It looks to be the same as it was a year ago, and I'm shopping for a laptop again (after my last XPS 13 had issues and I had to return it).

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 7, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Elysiume posted:

Has Dell fixed the coil whine issues in the XPS 13 yet? Or has anything about the XPS 13 series changed at all recently? It looks to be the same as it was a year ago, and I'm shopping for a laptop again (after my last XPS 13 had issues and I had to return it).

If the current XPS line is anything like the business latitudes then no, still have a bit of whine. I have to sit in a completely quite room but it's still there, as opposed to my mac books air 2014 which doesn't have anything.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Jinnigan posted:

So seeing as this model doesn't appear to be available in the uk (there's a 1050ti version that's more or less the same price but in £'s...) what would be the next best option? The difference in performace between the 1050ti and 1060 appears to be significant but my games of choice will most likely be strategy, top down rpgs (pillars of eternity, divinity original sin) and maybe some dragons dogma. I'm happy to go down from Ultra and mess with settings until I get a smooth and decent looking experience.

Looking around my options appear to be asus rog, gigabyte sabre and msi builds. Anything to avoid? I'll look up some performance numbers for gfx cards wrt to the games I mentioned but any input on that would be appreciated as well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

in my experience the general rule of thumb pretty much will be, specifically wrt graphics cards: GTX 1060 (6gb) will max/ultra p much anything you throw at it at 1080p res. GTX 1050ti will play any AAA game out there today @ 1080p res with some compromises on graphics. above GTX 1060 and you're either going to be gaming at a higher res, farming crypto, or want hair effects and realistic scrotum dangling in Whatever IV: The Whateverning

any of the pascal/1000 series cards can run any game at varying degrees of detail and resolution.

I can speak well to the GTX 1060 6GB as i have two computers wiht that card currently

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Atomizer posted:

Then just get one of these and use it as a mini-docking station.

Defeating the purpose of having a built in ethernet port in the first place, plus most of the USB ethernet chips are poo poo.

If I could get an Intel chip in a Thunderbolt dongle I'd be a lot more willing to look down that path.

I just don't see how putting a slight curve on the bottom edge is worth sacrificing a quality ethernet port. Especially when it's done on thicker machines that aren't at all scrambling for space. The older Macbook Pros showed how to do it right, before they went too thin to fit the port at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't like the hinged port on my Asus but the ones on the HPs we use at work have been just fine - no issues whatsoever and some of them are pushing four years old.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I’m also planning on snagging that Acer Predator but I heard it had gone down to $800 this past Prime Day. Pretty good odds of that happening again on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

I can be patient but I’m just antsy to get my hands on it and take it on the road with me for work these next couple weeks until Thanksgiving.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

This is not a spectacular deal by any means on the price to performance curve, but Asus' 14" Zenbook with the 8550u and MX150 and thin bezels (<-- something that must be included as a "spec" from here on out) is on sale for 999: https://www.costco.com/ASUS-ZenBook-UX430UN-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics--1080p-.product.100375043.html

Does anybody know / can they speculate on notebooks in this form factor coming out with the Intel/AMD iGPU solution that performs just under a 1060?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does anybody know / can they speculate on notebooks in this form factor coming out with the Intel/AMD iGPU solution that performs just under a 1060?

Years. I will be pleasantly surprised if that thing can compete with an MX150. It's currently not thermally possible to do what you're talking about.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

If the current XPS line is anything like the business latitudes then no, still have a bit of whine. I have to sit in a completely quite room but it's still there, as opposed to my mac books air 2014 which doesn't have anything.

XPS and Latitude lines are completely different

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

cliffdiver posted:

I’m also planning on snagging that Acer Predator but I heard it had gone down to $800 this past Prime Day. Pretty good odds of that happening again on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

I can be patient but I’m just antsy to get my hands on it and take it on the road with me for work these next couple weeks until Thanksgiving.

According to Camel³ it was $900, which is still a hell of a deal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it got another discount soon, so I'd hold off; Amazon doesn't do price matching/protection anymore.

This is not a spectacular deal by any means on the price to performance curve, but Asus' 14" Zenbook with the 8550u and MX150 and thin bezels (<-- something that must be included as a "spec" from here on out) is on sale for 999: https://www.costco.com/ASUS-ZenBook-UX430UN-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics--1080p-.product.100375043.html

I'll add that Acer has their own version of that, the Swift 3 although the Asus is better due to it having double the RAM & storage for the same price, however the i5 version may be worth it at closer to $800. If you were going for performance I don't think the Zenbook is quite worth it with the Helios 300 being around for just $50 more (or less, if it goes on sale again as discussed above!)

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004
So.. is the entire Surface line-up bad?

Because their marketing is having a powerful effect on my otherwise rational mind.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Albert posted:

Because their marketing is having a powerful effect on my otherwise rational mind.

The Surface(s) are...nice, but expensive, and basically disposable (i.e. not repairable.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hmm. I was considering a T470 or T470s on Black Friday but this is tempting. Anyone have any thoughts on how the two compare, aside from the Asus having the benefit of a newer Intel chip and discrete GPU?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hmm. I was considering a T470 or T470s on Black Friday but this is tempting. Anyone have any thoughts on how the two compare, aside from the Asus having the benefit of a newer Intel chip and discrete GPU?

Have you looked at the T470P?

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU and a dedicated Nvidia GeForce 940MX graphics GPU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hadn't been originally, but comparing it to that UX430UN, the Thinkpad has a bit faster processor, a bit slower GPU, a worse screen, probably a better keyboard, and it's quite a bit larger / heavier. I love me some Thinkpads but I'm not sure I want to deal with that much extra weight.

I wonder if Costco has that one in stores at all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This is a bit of an absurd price for the older 7567. $700 for i5, 1050ti, 256GB SSD. Only 8 GB of RAM, though.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...p?skuId=5872507

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fat Albert posted:

My Surface Pro 3 has been the least stable, most disappointing electronics product I've ever used.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My coworker is looking for a few Chromebooks for her 9 year old triplets. Have any good BF deals been posted for them?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

KingKapalone posted:

My coworker is looking for a few Chromebooks for her 9 year old triplets. Have any good BF deals been posted for them?

Chromebook Megathread

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KingKapalone posted:

Samsung Chromebook 3 11.6" Google Chrome OS Laptop (XE500C13-S03US) on sale for $99.99. Shipping is free or select free store pickup. Thanks za13

Specs:

11.6" 1366x768 LED Display
Intel Celeron N3060 Dual-Core Processor
2GB LPDDR3 RAM
16GB eMMC Flash Storage

That's live now at Best Buy but in the BF ad. Supposedly there's a 4GB/32GB model in the ad as well for $119

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Oh a new megathread. Thanks.

Bob Morales posted:

Samsung Chromebook 3 11.6" Google Chrome OS Laptop (XE500C13-S03US) on sale for $99.99. Shipping is free or select free store pickup. Thanks za13

Specs:

11.6" 1366x768 LED Display
Intel Celeron N3060 Dual-Core Processor
2GB LPDDR3 RAM
16GB eMMC Flash Storage

That's live now at Best Buy but in the BF ad. Supposedly there's a 4GB/32GB model in the ad as well for $119

Yep, we saw these and it caused me to see if there's a better deal/model available. Are these decent?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Have any of the leaked black friday ads had anything good on a good gaming labtop?
I'm not necessarily looking to play all the high endgames at uber settings but yeah. Looking to spend in the 800 or so range.

Is it worth it to just hold off to grab the acer linked earlier on Amazon come cyber Monday and not have to worry about any game specs for a while?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Literally SIX POSTS ABOVE YOU.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is a bit of an absurd price for the older 7567. $700 for i5, 1050ti, 256GB SSD. Only 8 GB of RAM, though.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...p?skuId=5872507

I paid full price for that laptop just far enough back I can't get them to give me back the difference, and I can confirm it is a great gaming laptop as long as you aren't wanting to run the newest games at the highest settings. I can hold a solid 60 fps in pretty much every game I've thrown at it on high settings.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

dissss posted:

My Surface Pro 3 has been the least stable, most disappointing electronics product I've ever used.

anecdotally my surfacebook has been great. The first computer i've had where people unprompted say wow, this is a nice computer, even lifelong mac users.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Pre ordered a SB2 15 inch/1tb. God my wallet hurts, but it's everything I wanted out of the first version. It's going to be a long 8 day wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Those 15 inch surfacebooks are available to play around with at MS stores if you have one near you.

E: let us know how it goes for your three thousand united states dollars