Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

jjttjj posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the Surface Pro 2 that was announced today?

I have a laptop plugged into an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, external HD, etc 80% of the time, then just painstakingly unplug everything whenever i want to wander around the house for an hour tops to make up the other 20%. The dock for the Pro 2 seems like in theory i would only have to detach the thing from the dock, which would be great. I've never really been a fan of tablets but honestly whenever I actually use the laptop as a laptop instead of a desktop, I'm basically just loving around surfing the internet anyway and think the tablet form would be fine and if not i could just get one of those keyboard things. I'm kind of somewhat of a power user, doing programming and stuff, but I think the specs seem fine to support that.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. For several years, I've had a personal laptop that I bring to work where I plug it into a dock that hooks into a keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc. Then I bring it home and use it for general internetting and other consumer-y stuff.

However, I recently had the opportunity to use a Pro 1 with 8.1 for a few weeks as a replacement. I really enjoyed it, overall. The only point where it truly let me down was the docking situation, since there wasn't an elegant way to plug all my stuff in at work. I had the 256gb version, so space wasn't a huge issue, but 4gb of RAM was also a bit on the low end for my work purposes.

At home, though, it was great, because I just kept it in metro mode and did my internet on the couch or in bed or wherever. 8.1 is a big step up from 8 when you stay in tablet mode, in my opinion. When I needed to write emails or do something more productive, the Type Cover worked great. People complain about it being heavy or awkward for tablet use, but for some reason I didn't find that to be as bad as they make it out to be. It was a bit goofy to use on my lap, but I actually don't really do that very often anyway so it didn't come up much.

I think the Pro 2, with all its improvements (battery life and performance, 8gb RAM, 256/512gb SSD options, new hinge, etc.) and especially the dock, will allow it to be a true laptop replacement for me. As far as I can tell, the biggest detractor will be the price for the ones with the larger SSDs, combined with the keyboard and dock. Those won't be cheap, I'm sure.

Edit: Pricing details via MS press release:

:staredog:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news...4202112_surface

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Well I really lucked out. I went to the store to pickup my i5 version and figured I'd check to see if they had the i7 version by any chance. Even though the website says not available anywhere within a 50mile radius they did have one in the inventory.

I'm on my way home with it now and I'll post my impressions later on this evening when I've played with it for a bit.

Feel free to post initial thoughts and comments throughout the day, too! I've got a Surface Pro on preorder but I'm kind of torn. The Yoga 2 Pro seems like it has most of the Surface's benefits, and fewer of the drawbacks. I'd especially love to hear what you think of the screen and build quality, and how well it works as a tablet.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

What do you mean by changing the DPI?

Also I had it mixed up -

At QHD+ Chrome looks fine in desktop mode. However, it doesn't respond to touch well at all. Like I can choose bookmarks from the bookmark bar fine but when I try to click a link it doesn't register right. When I relaunch Chrome in Win8 mode touch input works fine, but then everything is tiny as hell at QHD+. I could zoom in but the bookmarks bar and address par are still tiny.

Edit: cold boots in 7 seconds jesus.

I wonder if most Best Buys have them in stock? I'm sort of surprised that they're available at brick and mortar Best Buys already but there's nary a review on the web. Don't the Verge, Engadget, etc. get review units ahead of time usually?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

What do you think about the track pad? Does it do two finger scrolling well?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Naffer posted:

The i5-4200U and i7-4500U differ in the following ways:
Level 3 Cache: 3 vs 4 MB
Base clock: 1.6 vs 1.8 GHz
Single core turbo: 2.6 vs 3.0 GHz
Dual core turbo: 2.3 vs 2.7 GHz.

They are both dual core processors with hyperthreading, the i7 is just clocked higher. You can expect the i7 to be ~10-15% faster but they don't really differ in a meaningful way for routine non-gaming non-video editing PC use.

But the i7 does do meaningfully better at video editing?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

Doesn't Apple have patents on a lot of "basic" touchpad stuff, including the feel of the surface, which explains why nobody else seems to be able to really replicate them? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Through some magical interaction of drivers and settings in W8, I've gotten my 5-year-old Lenovo W500's trackpad to function exactly as well as a Mac's, most notably in the two-finger scrolling. The only thing is it's smaller, but otherwise, the surface is smooth and it's perfect and basically indistinguishable from a Mac's.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Naffer posted:

I ordered a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro from Lenovo (i7, 8GB, 256GB, grey) two days ago and my estimated shipping date is the 25th. I can't wait, but I'm pretty worried about complaints about how the monitor reproduces yellow colors: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-13-Yellow-Color-Issues/td-p/1270101/page/1

This helps me feel a little less conflicted about not cancelling my Surface Pro preorder. Looking forward to that 46% more color accurate screen now!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

dorkanoid posted:

I preordered one now, no stores except microsoftstore.no has a single indication as to when they will arrive (they say December 15th) - I'm hoping the store I ordered from gets them a little bit earlier than that...

There's a Best Buy a few minutes away from me that has (or had as of yesterday) a few 256/8s in stock. Use their store stock checker on their website. Might not help in Norway, though.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

If we're sharing Best Buy field trip reports, I was pretty impressed with the Yoga 2 Pro. The keyboard was fine, and I thought the trackpad was pretty Mac-like, nice and big and very smooth. Gestures worked well. The screen was great, but I was a little put off by the way it wobbled when I did any touching with it in laptop mode. That wouldn't be an issue in tent or tablet mode, of course, and I guess it's to be expected with something so thin and light. Otherwise, apart from the yellow screen issue that I've heard about but didn't think to check in person, it seems like the most solid MBA (or even 13" MBP) competitor out there. (Haven't done anything with an XPS.)

Also, I've been to Best Buy a few times in the past couple weeks and I've always seen a decent amount of people checking out the Surfaces pretty intensely, especially compared to the meager crowds at the HP/Acer/etc. displays. Don't know if that's translating to sales or anything, but it seems like at least where I am, there is interest in them. And fwiw, I think the new Type Cover 2 is great for typing and I can fly on it with hardly any warm-up or practice.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Yeah, for all the doom-saying about gorilla arm, it's really not that bad having the option. I don't use the touch screen all the time for all interactions, and it's not usually like my arm is hovering above the keyboard for extended amounts of time. But it is pretty easy to shoot your hand up and tap what you want to click, rather than moving from the keyboard to the touchpad and then moving the cursor and clicking. When I go back to regular laptops, I have to fight the urge to tap stuff. (That's something I hear from a lot of other people, also.)

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 31, 2013

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Good for you, I guess?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Ha yes, Pro 2. Yeah we're waiting on a few more. We actually got a dock in. My boss is using the Pro 2 + dock now instead of his Elitebook. He says he has noticed zero difference, even with dual monitors.

I've got a Pro 2 with Type Cover 2 that I plug into a dock at work. I stay in the desktop all day, using the kb/mouse/big monitor as a workstation, and then detach it and bring it home and use it in metro mode at night for music, movies, general internetting, etc. If I need to do work stuff from home, I just switch back into the desktop. Desktop performance is great, even with a ton of Chrome tabs open, every Adobe program, video editing, etc. (I do have the 8gb version.)

My biggest gripe is probably the trackpad on the Type Cover 2. The buttons are terrible, impossible to find without looking and not very responsive. Plus, it's just not very big. The keyboard is great (typing this post on it), but the trackpad is a major whiff by MS.

Overall, I like it a lot. I'm really looking forward to the Surface Pro 3, which will hopefully be thinner, lighter, higher DPI screen, etc.

I also had a regular Pro for a while and the new kickstand angle makes a huge difference when being used in "laptop mode."

Needs status: Met.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 8, 2013

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

What's the current top-of-the-line Windows workstation laptop, with a 15.4"-ish screen? Anything with a 16:10 screen anymore? Price isn't super important. I've been using a Lenovo W500 for several years and I've liked it a lot, but I've heard the W540 has gotten decidedly mixed reviews.

Edit: I should note that it's for work, so I'm not interested really in a boutique gaming laptop or something - reliability is key.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 4, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

shrughes posted:

Thinkpad W540, ZBook 15, Precision M3800, Precision M4800, Tecra W (meh?). Everything is 16:9.

Depending on precisely what your performance needs a T440p or T540p or some other cheaper laptop could fit the bill, if all you want is quad core and up to 16GB of RAM. The 15" workstations' main difference is that they give you the 4 ram slots.

The M4800 is looking like a good option. (The 3800 looks a bit too much like a chintzy Best Buy $400 special to my eye...)

Are there any tricks to ordering a business class Dell that save money? I've ordered a few Lenovos in the past with the B&N login, so it would be cool if there was something like that or a really good coupon code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Captain Pike posted:

After extensive research, I have determined that there are currently only two laptops in the world with the following characteristics:

- i7 MQ CPU.
- Two real touchpad buttons.
- Screen with very good viewing angles and color reproduction.
- Screen with no higher than 1080p resolution.

1. Dell Business Precision M4800 15"
2. Alienware 14

I prefer a 14" screen, but I currently own an Alienware m14x. Walking into a business meeting as a 40-year-old holding a garish toy laptop with fake jet engines on it is an embarrassment I no longer wish to endure.

I just got an M4800 recently and I like it. The aesthetics are very much "40-year-old at a business meeting," which as a certified weirdo I personally adore. I wrote a long-ish summary of my impressions in the I HATE DELL thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649249&pagenumber=4#post433802051