Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It sounds like the Lenovo line may take a while to get Haswell chips? Does anyone have information as to when? Any thoughts about price spikes/good deals as a result? I probably don't need a haswell, but it would be nice if its not a whole lot longer to wait and the price isn't much higher. I would also be willing to wait and see if the newer haswell chips push down the price of the current gen models unless there is reason to believe that isn't going to happen.

I mostly need a laptop I can haul around for fairly light (web browsing, occasional video or teleconference) usage with the exception of development work. Most of the stuff isn't too bad computationally speaking (embedded development for microcontrollers) but a few things like HDL synthesizers are dogs when it comes time to 'compile' but I don't think having a haswell or not having a haswell will change that. I just need a halfway decent keyboard and monitor and 2-3 usb ports. I also need an SSD because I tend to shake my laptops like a british nanny. :pedo: I was thinking a T430 or T530 would be a good fit for my price range, but am not against getting something over the top with a touchscreen. I had a TC1100 back in the day and I am excited to think that the software world is up to speed on a touch sensitive laptop finally. I was also looking at the X230s as I think I could do that IPS screen swap in my sleep, to be honest, and that would be one way to get a decent screen on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

Beyond the i5/i7 having turbo, it's basically just down to how fast they run. I don't believe any of the i7s available for the T430 are quad core, so I'd just get the cheapest i5. For the few hundred MHz the faster ones run, it's not worth spending the extra money.

The cache differs a bit between models, and I imagine additional cache will gain you more than a hundred MHz here or there.

Are the FHD screens any good? They are an option on some of the higher end model and some additional pixels and a better picture would be worth it to me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mutation posted:

Fine, I'll buy a lousy Haswell Thinkpad. :(

Why not buy a nice Haswell Thinkpad? :getin:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Christ-Almighty Lenovo, why doesn't the X230t come with Windows 8? I mean, I hate Windows 8, but if you're going to have a fake laptop/tablet thing, you might as well have Metro too.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The XPS12 laptops look like a decent deal, and they seem to be 20% for the 4th, but not in time for the Haswell refresh :smith:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I hate coming in here over and over again bugging you guys with stupid questions, but I'm going to drop some serious cash on a device I'm going to be stuck with for years, most likely.

I'm pretty much torn between a nice Thinkpad (530, X230/X1 probably), a Dell XPS 12, and the Sony Vaio Pro 13. I wasn't really even looking at the XPS12 until today, but I can get a pretty well setup one for ~1k and that seems fairly competitive. I just hate buying something right before the new tech drops, but that is probably why I can snag a ~$1600 msrp laptop for that little. Is there any reason the 12 is recommended over the 13 or other models? I like the portability but if I'm doing coding and stuff additional screen real estate is invaluable.

FYI, I'm pretty deadset against the Vaio because I hate all the stupid poo poo Sony has pulled over the years (a good portion being the crap they preload on the laptops) and don't really want to give them my business as a result. I'm happy to see they have an option when buying the laptop to get that poo poo removed now, but it shouldn't be an optional feature for gently caress's sake!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

movax posted:

Yeah, wait for Haswell. My new job's offering either a rMBP or a T430s and I think the T430s is the better choice for engineering work though the rMBP certainly is sexy. I'd say the X240 or T440 would be the way to go when they finally launch.

T430s is just a slimmer / 3 less battery cell flavour of the T430 right? Still a lovely TN screen?

Yeah, the only reason not to wait is I can get this for ~1k

quote:

Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i7-3687U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
Windows 8 Pro
Dell Outlet XPS 12 Convertible Ultrabook
256 GB Solid State drive
8GB Dual Channel DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Not a bad kit for the price even if it's not the newest and shiniest.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I personally like the rainbow theme and don't understand how it won't get you laid :gay:

EDIT:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/dell-refreshes-xps-12-xps-27-xps-8700/

Should we be expecting a XPS12 refresh tomorrow?

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 8, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I spent a little time reading about the XPS12 and I'm laughing pretty hard about the hundreds of sites that put out a 'review' of the upcoming XPS 12 refresh June 4th and 5th. Yessir, these are certainly reputable review sites and not lovely pr-reposting blogs that all happened to get the same set of details at the same time. Yessir, I'm sure that 20% increase in battery life is not at all made up by Dell's marketing department and completely unverified by the people repeating it.

If the XPS 12 does drop the next few days, I will probably buy one over a thinkpad just for convenience. Should I expect the XPS 12 to have user replaceable RAM and HDs? I'm a big fan of saving money up front and DIYing those parts later.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

It isn't a stretch to believe them on the battery life. It's all due to the Haswell chip, not anything that Dell is doing. And it looks like the official stat is going to be 8 3/4 hours, which is still a really nice improvement.

I don't see why the RAM and HDD wouldn't be user replaceable. I can double check at work tomorrow.

I wouldn't think that Ultrabooks are inherently less durable. That is more reliant on build quality than anything else. Anyways, at that price you're looking at Intel 4000 graphics. Here's how Civilization 5 handles it.

RAM appears to be soldered in current-gen XPS 12s. If they were TQFP I would be tempted to solder additional chips onto the mainboard, but if I'm looking at the right chips in crappy photos I found, they're BGA packaged. Fuckers.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Welp, pulled the trigger on a current gen XPS12 from Dell Outlet. For 1K I should receive a top of the line model with 8GB ram/256 SSD/i7-3687 which isn't available on the website (?). I figure worse case I can use it until something nicer comes along. I can't really wait for September if Lenovo is going to wait that long to upgrade the thinkpad line :smith:

Thanks for the info goons, even if I ended up going with a hasbeen~

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

Just got off Dell chat. Supposedly the Haswell XPS 12 is slated to be released by August. Which doesn't make sense, since Dell Australia, Japan and UK are all selling this now. The rep said it is up to Intel on what countries are getting Haswell right now.

huhhhhh

Maybe I'll suck it up and get a 3rd gen for a lower price. Or maybe just get a Latitude 10 or something.

:lol: Assuming that's right, good call me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

I just got my Haswell XPS 12 ordered, $1040 total after tax and free 2nd day shipping. Not supposed to ship until near the end of the month, though.

What specs?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
My Dell outlet order was delayed 3 days. :psyduck: I presume it is a prebuild machine in a box ready to go (returned, canceled order, whatever), how many days could it take to drop it in the mail?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

I would think it would be built already, but I suppose you never know. Maybe they were double-checking the refurbish and found something wrong. Maybe they are incorrect about what they had in the inventory, and they are working to build something instead.

It has a i7-3687, which is an odd feature for a XPS 12. It looked like a custom build already :iiam:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I got my 3rd gen xps 12 in and holy poo poo is the trackpad the most hilariously terrible thing I've ever had the displeasure of using. It flat out can't track a finger doing circles and I'm not the only one to have this issue. Uninstalling the stock drivers and letting Windows fixed the tracking but seemed to make some of the gesture stuff to break. Christ. I could barely make it through the setup menus, how can this stuff pass QC?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

If its passworded on resume then presumably they'd try to reboot. Or just refrain from leaving it lying around imo

If it's on, there is key material in memory:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/cryogenically-frozen-ram-bypasses-all-disk-encryption-methods/900

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Thanks for the review. The battery life and NFC would have been nice, but otherwise I think I got a solid build with the 3rd gen.

Does yours automatically support flipping windows over after rotating the screen backwards while still in laptop mode? I was hoping I could use it like that for planes and the like. The idea is the touchscreen is held up by the keyboard instead of being held, and its farther away from the seat in front of me. I was also experimenting with this in the kitchen by putting the laptop on the higher counter/bar area, and flipping the screen towards me so it's closer and the laptop is firmly situated on the upper bar.

Unfortunately, windows won't rotate the screen properly. I can do it manually in the drivers, but then I have to undo it later. I'm figuring that is because the tilt sensor is in the base and not in the screen, but I wouldn't be surprised if that may be a SW issue as well.

I'm going to put Linux on mine as soon as I finish being lazy, and I guess 'the way' to do rotations there is just map the auto on/off button as a rotation hotkey.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Reviews look cool and ya'll seem hot to trot so I ordered a XPS13 2-in-1 from Dell outlet with a coupon code for 16% off, seems on par with the costco pricing considering I'm rolling the dice regarding the refurb nature. $1.5k for 32gb ram, 512gb NVMe, and the 4k display. It's been a while since I've had a laptop, this will be an upgrade from the laptops I used to have at least.

So many USB C ports, I'm going to have to start upgrading everything else now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've been through a few Razors at work and the build quality feels high but I've had a bunch of weird problems. The first laptop started bluescreening every time I plugged in an HDMI cable which is pretty annoying when I need to project stuff constantly. I got a replacement which was good for a few months until it stopped charging one day mysteriously. IT wanted to swap that one out but I wasn't willing to reinstall a bunch of software (again) so I opened it up and it turned out the wiring harness between the DC jack and the mobo had pulled loose. It's inside the case so I assume it was a manufacturing oops (connector not fully seated) but who knows :iiam:

Either way, they feel nice but I'm not terribly impressed.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 6, 2019