Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Ravenicus posted:

Smol freehand I did with sumi ink.

stop making me buy more art supplies I dont need. Sooo, did you use a block or a bottle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I liked the way the arbitrary floating window came out in the last thing I drew, so I spent all morning working on this. Not done yet but I need a break and like it enough to show it off
e: Incremental progression since I posted this:

Dry inktense on illustration board -> water brushed -> outlined in posca -> colored over inktense with marker in some spots -> posca + acrylic details/highlights
I went too heavy with the stars and kind of regret it but :shrug:

dupersaurus posted:

Started working on my biggest print to date, I only have checks notes a week to carve and print it before the next market

I don't know what it is exactly but I love mountains drawn in this style, these are great. It's very soothing to look at

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This still needs a bit of work but I've spent a few days half-heartedly continuing the window theme and I'm running out of steam so I'm gonna set it down for a bit. Maybe do a full-scale landscape at twice the size or something for a change

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

deep dish peat moss posted:

This still needs a bit of work but I've spent a few days half-heartedly continuing the window theme and I'm running out of steam so I'm gonna set it down for a bit. Maybe do a full-scale landscape at twice the size or something for a change

I really like this concept

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Managed to get three decent prints out of five pulls. For what I’ll charge that’s probably good enough

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks pretty good!

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

Keetron posted:

stop making me buy more art supplies I dont need. Sooo, did you use a block or a bottle?

Hey sorry, been busy. I used a bottle of sumi ink and painted with brushes. I don't have my traditional ink brushes around rn, so I just used some cheap brushes.
This is what I used. It's great, but it does have a heavy sheen. Almost all my paintings I end up either scanning or putting under glass, though, which removes the sheen. I honestly kinda like the sheen though, it makes it look glossy and fresh.

Here's a ballpoint pen freehand I did after seeing The Northman (which was GOATed). I know it's not really related to the movie in anyway, sometimes I just get sparks of ideas while watchin stuff, that I complete after.

Ravenicus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 27, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ravenicus posted:

Hey sorry, been busy. I used a bottle of sumi ink and painted with brushes. I don't have my traditional ink brushes around rn, so I just used some cheap brushes.
This is what I used. It's great, but it does have a heavy sheen. Almost all my paintings I end up either scanning or putting under glass, though, which removes the sheen. I honestly kinda like the sheen though, it makes it look glossy and fresh.

Here's a ballpoint pen freehand I did after seeing The Northman (which was GOATed). I know it's not really related to the movie in anyway, sometimes I just get sparks of ideas while watchin stuff, that I complete after.

Thank you for linking, I cant really find that ink anywhere near me however, not even through amazon so I can only get it with insane shipping so I'll use india ink, have two smaller bottles to empty first anyway.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

Keetron posted:

Thank you for linking, I cant really find that ink anywhere near me however, not even through amazon so I can only get it with insane shipping so I'll use india ink, have two smaller bottles to empty first anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Yasutomo-KY6-Sumi-Ink-Black/dp/B0026I4UK0

This one has prime shipping so maybe works?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ah yeah, I am in Europe but I found a vendor with reasonable shipping costs. For some weird reason I cannot find that ink locally and after looking into it some more, it is really very different from india ink.

In other news, the kuratake sable brush pen can be found in abundance as `sumi brush pen` instead of as `kuratake 30 brush pen` which is the name. Grab one of those if you like brush pens, it has sable hairs.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I had been thinking about it for a long time but finally signed up for a "real" art class. It's an introduction to either Oil or Acrylics, but focuses on general composition work and not specific medium based techniques. Stuff like sketching, planning out colors, color value and color theory, etc.

And all I can say is:

Class 1 results:

Class 2 results:

If you want to improve find a good art class or teacher (and do the work).

I'm way happier with what I ended up with after class 2 than with class 1 and can't even exactly tell you want "changed" mentally when it came to the actual painting part.

Also did another tiny painting (not quite finished but the last bit is just covering the black part with more gold leaf).

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

Ravenicus posted:

I really love this, the detail and depth are excellent. Very cool design.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

smashmyradio posted:

I really love this, the detail and depth are excellent. Very cool design.

Thank you!

Here's an inkbrush piece I did for a friend on some big watercolor paper, that was glued to a foam board.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ravenicus posted:

Thank you!

Here's an inkbrush piece I did for a friend on some big watercolor paper, that was glued to a foam board.

Very nice, lots of skill and a distinct style. How long would you say you work on a piece like that?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ravenicus posted:

I love the ballpoint so much... makes me want to get back into it.

Here are my projections on a stage I helped design and build with a CNC and laser. Photo was taken by a friend of mine.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

I love the ballpoint so much... makes me want to get back into it.

Here are my projections on a stage I helped design and build with a CNC and laser. Photo was taken by a friend of mine.

That looks amazing!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

I really like this concept

Thanks! I didn't go a whole lot further with it but here's where it ended up:

A window showing a landscape, in the middle of a completely different landscape, was a pretty fun concept to draw and I will probably go back to it in some form

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This is hopefully the thread to ask.

For my photography backdrops I want one that uses that super-black paint that reflects no light. Like the subject is just in a void without tinkering in Photoshop.

The thing is it's highly recommended for rigid objects.

So what's an alternative black as heck paint that's flexible? Like I can paint a poster sheet and roll it up. Preferably not budget busting.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 1, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You could use adhesive flocking paper.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
my version of a biblically-accurate angel

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zoben posted:

:nice:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zoben posted:

Yesssss love a good ophanim

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013

Zoben posted:

That looks great! I like that it looks almost like a hole through reality than a floating creature.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Made a new little gold leaf painting.

Finally got the gold leaf to finish it off.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

deep dish peat moss posted:

I liked the way the arbitrary floating window came out in the last thing I drew, so I spent all morning working on this. Not done yet but I need a break and like it enough to show it off
e: Incremental progression since I posted this:

Dry inktense on illustration board -> water brushed -> outlined in posca -> colored over inktense with marker in some spots -> posca + acrylic details/highlights
I went too heavy with the stars and kind of regret it but :shrug:

Very cool stuff!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Crain posted:

Made a new little gold leaf painting.

Finally got the gold leaf to finish it off.

This is very cool.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

This is very cool.

Thanks!

I have one more left over balsawood plank from whatever craft kit they came in, after that I'm going to upgrade to full sized canvas.

I also really really want to find some tiny frames for the paintings I've done so far, but gently caress me if it's not exactly a common thing. might try to just 3d model some up and get them printed since I'd only need 4-5.

Like fancy ones, with the filigree and all.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Fragments of Various Broken Things.

first pass:

final:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

Fragments of Various Broken Things.

first pass:

final:

Poor Shrek.

I like it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Finally out of my "startups are horrible and work was horrible" funk and made some gouache paintings to kind of "get going" again

Its pretty wild how long it can take for burn out from work to wear off and feel creative again. Felt real good tho.

Super vibing with that gold leaf cabin painting.

Broken pottery pieces are giving me massive "we had to destroy the artifacts" feelin

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

silicone thrills posted:

Its pretty wild how long it can take for burn out from work to wear off and feel creative again. Felt real good tho.

That do be how it be. I work in a career where people can die if I gently caress up and it absolutely kills my creativity when it's stressful. Bad few days at work turns me into an exhausted uncreative wreck well into the next week, when the next big stresser hits.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I pretty much only catch the creative wave when I'm feeling down or stressed out, I guess because when I started drawing originally it was just a way to step away from stress and that's how I've always used it. It sucks sometimes because when I'm in a good mood and relatively stress-free I have no creative inspiration, and that's when I feel like I have the most time and attention to dedicate to something like art.

Here's a thing I did last week. It's more than twice the size I'm used to (12"x16" instead of 8"x10") and is both overworked and underworked in places because I didn't plan well for the size :effort: After looking at it for a few days I don't think I like it all that much personally but :shrug: It still looks impressive in my portfolio because of the size and there are a few parts of it I like enough to repeat the technique in the future

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Stage with my projections from this last weekend.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

dude that's fuckin sweet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sigma 6 posted:

thats so fuckin rad.

I uh have been going whole hog polishing my skills back up. Did this today. felt ~ good ~ same reference from a gouache i posted up above but oils today.

One thing that I havent figured out with oils is how the gently caress to get the lighting right to take a straight on photo. Glossy fuckin paint just blow everything out in photos. At least with a single light. I do realize I could set up like 2-3 different lights but setting up a full photo studio set up for mid work snaps is a pain

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

thats so fuckin rad.

I uh have been going whole hog polishing my skills back up. Did this today. felt ~ good ~ same reference from a gouache i posted up above but oils today.

One thing that I havent figured out with oils is how the gently caress to get the lighting right to take a straight on photo. Glossy fuckin paint just blow everything out in photos. At least with a single light. I do realize I could set up like 2-3 different lights but setting up a full photo studio set up for mid work snaps is a pain

Shoot on overcast days or magic hour.

Zoben posted:

dude that's fuckin sweet

Thanks guys! Making visuals is great but I am trying not to get too hung up on it. Easy to treat it like a job and get anxiety over it. Especially when you have a live audience and are getting paid to do it. However, that last part doesn't always work out well. VJs have sliding scales. Some get paid late or very little etc. I still haven't been paid from the gig these pics are from. Then there are the VJs that work events like Coachella. I am not that guy.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 13, 2022

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Study I did of Kawanabe Kyosai's wood block prints. Gouache on watercolor paper.

Ref:

Glad to actually have something to post but I keep forgetting about the SA threads heh.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Xposted from the Daily Drawing thread.

Sugar Man.

Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right.

Made with graphite and photoshop. I still can't paint in photoshop but I can sometimes "fix" stuff ... lol

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Xposted from the Daily Drawing thread.

Sugar Man.

Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right.

Made with graphite and photoshop. I still can't paint in photoshop but I can sometimes "fix" stuff ... lol

Cool, I like the contrast/chiaroscuro on the clown. Did you do a texture in Photoshop in the background?

This one's done in terms of black and white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The clown is amazing.

Zoben, that piece is great; well done. I love your style