Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Strange. It’s gotta be a Logitech thing then, cause I don’t see the option whatsoever. Oh well.

It's hundred percent a Logitech thing. Hopefully it gets fixed some day

sleepwalkers posted:

I’m dealing with a strange Apple Music bug that’s persisted across OS updates, deleting and reinstalling the app, reboots, etc. and I can’t figure out why.
It’s ultimately a very, very small thing because it’s not actually impacting my ability to use the app, but this banner ad for Apple Music remains present only on my iPad, not my iPhone:

Tapping it opens a pop-up box that says I’m already a subscriber, and it doesn’t go away.

Reset all settings should get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Well only people using older Mac OS since iTunes is gone and replaced by Finder for syncing and more importantly updating and restoring any iPhone or iPad

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Finally got my new iPad Pro, set it up with my old Apple ID, suddenly it wants my iPhone Unlock Code. I haven't had an iPhone in years. Dafuq, Apple?!

Could be the iCloud keychain poo poo which if you don't remember you can just opt to wipe. Or could be the two factor prompt and if you don't have access to that iPhone and or phone number you will have to go into recovery

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Anyone that hasn’t bought a 2018 or 2020 iPad Pro yet needs to buy one.

Just got my 11” and holy poo poo this thing is awesome. Coming from a 9.7” Pro for reference.

Ha I just did the same thing and it's pretty impressive. I have it naked for now but ordered a dbrand wrap. Just going to rest it in a stand between uses. I grabbed AppleCare but I guess one day I will need a sleeve if this hell world ends and I can travel again. I almost grabbed the Magic keybooard but my Kechron k4 worked really well with it so no need

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

It feels kinda dumb but anyone have a charging station for their pro and a phone and watch?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HNGZ2ZM/A/scosche-baselynx-modular-charging-system-pro-kit

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Call Apple. I don't know if they do it for iPads, but for phones, they'll send you a loaner and put a hold on your credit card to make sure they get it back.

I'm sorry what? No you can't get a loaner for phones or iPads. You can do an express replacement for a limited warranty or AppleCare issue but they don't have loaner devices like that. Some stores did but it's pretty rare now with a pandemic happening

Edit: I'm not sure if iPad battery service can be arranged with customer drop off at a UPS store which cuts the repair time pretty significantly since you aren't waiting for a box but turn around time is about 3-5 business days right now for mail in service

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 18, 2020

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ijyt posted:

Wait so you, in an Apple Store, a store owned by Apple, were offered a brand new iPad as a replacement to your current one and your instinct was that it was some sort of trick?

I don't think getting an Android tablet would have solved any of the issues you have buddy.

I had a big ole effort post and just deleted it. That part of the story just bugged me too much. So odd

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That advice is great if the kid isn't 4.5 years old. At least till second grade it needs to be an iPad so they can operate the device. I don't believe an elementary age kid should ever have a device but here we are in a Pandemic and it's the nature of the world. If you taught middle school you may have just forgot how difficult mouse control is till 3rd grade or higher.

I like how easily I can monitor my kids usage with Family sharing but Safari not being an always allowed app option is mind boggling. I get pinged with screen time requests so my kindergarten login since the school login goes through the browser. I'm still weirded out to see my 5 year old on a Teams call, he will start his day with a Speech teacher who will call him on Teams

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

With the new update the app store is asking me to log in, however it said I had the wrong password, and then it didn't recognise my pass code.

Now it keeps telling me to enter my phone number, receive a code, enter the code and then do it all over again.

Once I've entered my number and the code twice is then tells me that Apple ID Verification Failed.

Any ideas?

PriorMarcus posted:

With the new update the app store is asking me to log in, however it said I had the wrong password, and then it didn't recognise my pass code.

Now it keeps telling me to enter my phone number, receive a code, enter the code and then do it all over again.

Once I've entered my number and the code twice is then tells me that Apple ID Verification Failed.

Any ideas?

I would do a password change on your phone and sign out all devices. Login again on the iPad. Assuming you have an iPhone. The app store account isn't different is it? Sometimes people have a different apple id signed into iCloud that's not the app store id

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Lol it's dumb but pros don't have split keyboard option

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wait, is that only the new Pro? Mine is the 10.5” 2017 Pro (the 2nd gen one).

My normal keyboard looks nothing like that screenshot though, there’s no tab or caps lock keys.

Sorry yes it's the 11 and 12.9 pros. Sadly I do this for a living. I didn't link the article but in the tiniest print in the world the official apple article says not available on 11 and 12.9 pros. I think I tried to get the article updated but they don't like calling attention to lack of options

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

What’s a good app to use to test your iPad battery ?

Also, I have an iPad Pro 10.5 (2016). I’m debating upgrading to either the 2018 or 2020 pro. Given I literally just use it as a web browser, chat, mayyyybe light gaming , I think the 2018 will be fine, but I weirdly haven’t seen any promos or discounts on used 2018 iPads.

Call Applecare and get them to run a diagnostics to pull the battery health. Hell call right now no wait times. It’s been dead all week. Just need your apple id logged in on device and they will ping it with a test. You go to settings privacy data and analytics and if they did it right it will show start diagnostics with apple support. You can start test and ask battery health once it finishes

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

me your dad posted:

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for sales. It's good to know the cheapest models will run it. I wouldn't want to have a frustrating experience due to a lack of power.

The lack of power thing is going to be like a kindle tablet. Make sure you get the correct Apple Pencil version for the tablet you decide on

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Anyone have experience trying to get a repair / replacement through Best Buy as an authorized apple service center? My almost one year old iPad Pro has constant phantom touches. I’d rather go through an actual Apple store, but it’s basically been booked constantly since COVID.

Best buy will probably mail it in so just do a mail service yourself. Call or start the service using the Apple Support app

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thwomp posted:

For what it’s worth, I had my Apple Watch repaired through a Best Buy (swelling battery).

It probably took a few days longer than if I did it through an Apple Store but it still came back all repaired.

They sent it off to a repair center. Watch repair isn’t even done at an Apple store either. So yeah just do mail service

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Sadly no, I don’t think so. Would love to be wrong on this. Frankly, don’t really understand why Apple got rid of this

If I had to guess it's because people mostly called support to help them get back the original keyboard layout and they probably caught wind of it and decided to lock it behind the pros

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Don't think that's it. Because the 11" iPad Pro can't split keyboard either. Can only do Floating.

Yeah I had a brain fart. Reversed what I meant. If you notice my older history I mentioned the pros can’t use that feature. Legitimately I tend to see older customers with the Pros. Most of them will use a physical keyboard too so I guess they noticed customers weren’t using the feature and it was a big call driver so they removed it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Apple one is discounted as well because of the free Apple TV extension

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I sent my Pro back to Apple in a box to get the battery replaced and they just told me they are sending it back to me unfixed because they "could not replicate the issue."

You got to give more info. Did you call back? Who did you speak with? Was the battery health below 80%? If not did you insist on a battery replacement anyway? AppleCare or out of warranty battery replacement? In store initiated repair or phone?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I'm going to call back once I actually get it back; right now all I know is that I asked them to replace the battery, and they said they would and charged me $150 up front, and I did so and sent them the iPad in the box they sent me, and then they sent it back to me a week later and they said they couldn't see an issue.

Why wait? Call now and they can read internal notes. My guess is the advisor didn't classify it correctly or maybe just a weird repair note. But call now and they can investigate what was done at the arc

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

gently caress

edit: Oh this is interesting; playing around with the options I noticed that there is now a different applecare- instead of the 2 years, you can now do a $7.99/month until cancelled. Does this mean you can technically get longer than 2 years of applecare for a device now?

I’m not sure what devices but yes some can stay on AppleCare as long as you keep the monthly active

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Call into Apple support and have them run a diagnostic on the ipad. It will pull the battery health

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The General posted:

I'm rewatching Good Place on Netflix and when there's around 100 seconds left the screen goes black but I still get audio. Closing and restarting gives me a second of visuals before it goes blank.

I've tried the reset button in settings, removing Netflix and restarting my iPad pro. Any ideas?

Interesting. Just had that bug on another show a couple of days ago. Closing the app and restarting it did fix it though

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

People usually lose one airpod, that’s why it’s priced that way, or they lose the case somewhere. Applecare loss coverage is only going to be available on phones since they can be located on a cell network and have their IMEI blacklisted

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I tested this out yesterday and it works but not like you’d want it to.

What find my AirPods does is note the last place you opened your airpod case. Which is somewhat useful if it’s still in the same place where you opened if, but if you open it and then move it, it’s pretty useless

I tested it by using them at my office, then when I went home (AirPods in my pocket) and used Find My, it said they were at my office when in reality they were two feet from my phone in my pocket

That AirTag AirPods case should deliver today and I think that’s what I’m going to rely on to find them should I lose them again.

That's the old Find my functionality. Pros and Maxes are getting a new feature that alerts you if you leave them behind or a lost mode that works like an airtag

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Assuming yall are talking about the Logitech Combo touch? If so tap to click definitely works. I thought it didn’t but I had it toggled off. I have a 9th gen ipad for work. The actual case provides decent protection and being able to quickly take the keyboard off is great. However, I still get confused on which way it opens

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah text is a “phone feature” because cell carriers are nothing if not backwards and stuck in their ways.

Regardless of the fact that having a cellular data plan assigns you a cell number behind the scenes anyway, you’re not allowed to use it for “reasons”

Get a google voice account and throw 20 bucks on it and text that way.

I feel like it was possible to use the cellphone number for texting and calling on the ipad 2 but maybe I’m misremembering. I was sad I couldn’t text with my Work iPad and instead have to use god awful Ring central

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hmm ok, I'll have to try it again. Just bounces back as unable to deliver, and I don't get her messages neither even if the phone connected icon is showing up.

You need to have it setup correctly on your iphone as well. For the continuity poo poo

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I signed up for Applecare and the email I got implied I would need the original sales receipt to get service. Is that actually the case? I bought my iPad from a friend but I would imagine people get them as gifts and wouldn't have access to the sales receipt.

If you can track down the sales receipt I would do it anyway. I have had to use it when the iPad I was getting fixed wasn't showing as having Apple care despite a monthly charge that never lapsed. The receipt helped get it covered

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I’m not the original poster but on my Combo touch it definitely has the inertia option just like your photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

7 hours is Probably what I get with my 12.9 iPad Pro, seems to go through battery faster than what I expected but I figured that screen is a pretty big drain on the battery