Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Super loving excited to replace my iPad 7 with the 8. I picked up the 32GB version this past June and, while it's nice...I'd love more storage so I'm going for the 128GB 8th gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Looking to buy my first apple thing since an iPhone 2. I've been android, but the state of android tablets is uninspiring to me. Work gave me a pixel slate but I am swapping it back for a normal laptop and for personal use I did not like Android as a tablet OS enough.

Few questions:

1) How annoying is it going to be to have a split ecosystem between my Android phone and an iPad? I am basically all in on Google apps currently. Is there anything about iOS that is really going to be annoying?

2) Do any of you put temepered glass screen protectors on yours? What about durable cases?

3) Really looks like the new Air is going to be the best middle ground between higher end and not overkill. This is mainly going to be a comic reading, entertain the kid, browse the internet on the couch sort of device. Is the new Air just overkill and I should just go for the new standard iPad? The idea of the magic keyboard support on the air is nice but I don't see myself paying that much for one any time soon.

4) Space. Is 32 GB really too small? I guess media fills it up somewhat quick.

EDIT: 5) Applecare worth it?

I know I'm super late to this but...

I have a Pixel 4 XL and an iPad 7th Generation 32GB.

1. It's not annoying to me, honestly. I don't really use the iPad for Google stuff but I do have Keep, Chrome, and Gmail that I use the most.

2. I don't have a screen protector on mine, I prefer a case that covers the screen. I use my iPad for art and I don't know if I'd like a screen protector.

2.5. As for a case, I have the Smart Cover from Apple and it's nice..but has zero protection. Apparently the Smart Case is low on protection too. I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WS6L2FZ/ before I got my Smart Cover and I like this better. It has much nicer protection AND can hold the Pencil.

3. I'm getting the 8th Gen iPad so I dunno if I can answer this question? I mean...I'd say go to a store, maybe Best Buy, and try out the iPads there. At least the BBY here in Nebraska lets me do that. The size difference between the standard and the Air wasn't that big last year. Despite the smaller bezels, I don't know if it'll be THAT big...it's mostly the internals that changed + Pencil 2 + Touch ID / Power Button.

4. Do not get 32GB. DO NOT GET 32GB. Seriously. I have a 32GB iPad and I've run out of storage many times now...and I've had it since June. Procreate, uses a lot, apparently. At least with how much I draw. 128GB is better so I'm switching to the 8th Gen iPad with 128GB storage.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 16, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Does the 8th gen iPad reuse any older bodies, the way the Air 3 was the former Pro 10.5?

I have keyboards for the Air 2 and a Pro 10.5, any chance they’d be usable on a new 8th gen basic iPad?

From my understanding, the 8th Gen iPad basically is the exact same as the 7th Gen but with the internals of the iPad Air 2019 (minus the screen).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah that got removed for everyone. I think it's a Google thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've got the iPad 8th Gen and I'm thinking of upgrading to the iPad Air 4 for the better screen and slightly bigger size for taking notes and reading books.

I'd be using it for art via Procreate, class notes via GoodNotes, class books via VitalSource, and general YouTube/Plex/D+/Netflix/etc. vids.

Should I grab that or wait for the new Pros and go from there? Apple is, apparently, not accepting trade-ins on the 2020 iPads though so who knows. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the responses, I'll go with the iPad Air over the Pro..but now I'm wondering if I should just keep the 8th gen instead. It does have the non-laminated display and display size isn't as large as the almost 11 inch Air.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Magic Keyboard is $100 everywhere... is it REALLY needed? I got an iPad Air coming next week and I'm wondering if I should pick up the case now or just go for https://www.amazon.com/ESR-Trifold-iPad-Air-2020/dp/B08L6N3M4L/ or maybe a bumper + smart folio combo like on my iPad 8th Gen?

Anyone used ESR's trifold cases?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

do you not plan to type a lot on your iPad, or do you already own a bluetooth keyboard? if the answer to either of those is yes, probably not!

I have ESR's case for the base iPad, it's fine

Oh sweet. Do you use the magnetic one?

I do have a Bluetooth keyboard but my mother may want to use it but I can get it again at cheaper than the Magic Keyboard.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sacred Cow posted:

I have the magnetic one and it holds my iPad up without any signs of slipping. It doesn’t add much bulk but don’t expect it to protect it from a big drop if you’re worried about that. For $13-16 vs $200-300, you can’t go wrong.

Hm...would you say it's at least as protective as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08276JTHM/ and Apple's Smart Cover?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok. New question. I got a surprise gift card which knocks the Magic Keyboard down to $130 (or knocks the Apple Pencil 2 to $50). Wondering if I should get the Magic Keyboard while it's still on sale and pick up a trifold or magnetic ESR case too for when I don't want to type.

That might be a better idea and then can give the keyboard to my mother with the 8th gen iPad?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the help! Picked up the Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil 2, and ESR Rebound and they'll be here tomorrow!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I still don't understand screen protectors on a tablet.. I use my iPad Air 4 for Procreate and I'm 100% sure it'd eat through those $20 nibs from Apple like sandpaper...

I know a lot of other artists LOVE Paperlike but...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've always used a Paperlike and I've changed nibs twice, and one of those was because I dropped my pencil and it landed on the nib tip and damaged it. Same reason I always used the felt tip on my Wacom Cintiq's pen- plastic against smooth glass feels like rear end when drawing.

I think I've come to love drawing on glass from my time with the Pixelbook's Pen and screen. I did draw a bit on paper last week cause my iPad needed charging, and I did have more control. But I find I don't mind the glass on smooth pen tip though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the new iPad Pro 11-inch's accessories will fit the 2020 iPad Air. This could be fun!

Target had one of the accessories out and someone on Reddit tried to buy it (and took a pic). They couldn't sell it until April, but at least it confirms any of the new accessories will work.

It mentioned the Apple Pencil 2...I wonder if the new Pencil will only work on the bigger Pro...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I know there are more of a few of you here who use your iPad for drawing and I just got this thing last week and it is really amazing. It makes the surface much nicer to draw on giving space to wrest your arms, it has foldable legs, and a carrying handle. HIGHLY worth it.

https://shop.sketchboardpro.com/

You reminded me this existed and, for some reason, I saw the video ErgoJosh did on YouTube and thought he hated it...but no he loves it. I've got some extra PayPal cash and I need to stop my neck from hurting anyway so...

I'm kinda mad I missed a 10% off discount code tho... it ended 10 days ago. haha

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My only little complaint about it (which is nitpicking honestly) is that the space for the power cord to fit in will fit Apple's cable but not many third party ones. I have a monoprice USB-C cord that I got for the combo of price and length (6') and the plastic bit around the plug of the cable is too long to fit properly in the board's slot.

Yah, I can see that being annoying.

I got that same cable hah! Is it a really thick C-to-C cable? Was like $1 a cable or something on sale?

I checked to see if I got the UPS shipping vs USPS (I didn't) and, experimentally, put one in my cart. I come back to an e-mail from SketchbookPro saying I forgot something in my cart and here's 10% off if I ordered it through the e-mail. :v:

Ah well. Maybe next time.

The one I already ordered is shipping and will probably be here sometime next week! I'm excited.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I was going to pick up an 8th gen iPad almost purely for comic reading, but now I'm leaning toward the Air.

Its hardware design is super appealing. The screen is bigger, with an aspect ratio that's a little more comic-friendly. I've been thinking about picking up a drawing tablet for the first time in 15+ years and everyone seems to love that aspect. It would handle the light stuff I do with my 2017 Macbook Air, so I could sell that to justify the price jump. Plus I found a retailer that doesn't charge sales tax in my state.

Those rounded screen corners are the only thing I'm not in love with. The seemingly common backlight bleeding issue is a little worrying too, but I drop my screen brightness and won't be watching movies so it would only bother me if it was severe.

Get the Air! I love mine and use it a lot for class and art.

I had the 8th Gen iPad and while it's nice, the Air is a whole lot better.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder if the iPad Air 4 will work with the Apple Pencil 3...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

See I wanted a MBP to compliment my iPad Air 4 but now I kind of want to replace the Air 4 so I can have an iPad Pro 11" 2021...

But I'd just use it for...drawing...so..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

""M1 will allow Procreate 5.2 to be up to four times faster. It will also include advanced accessibility features such as simplified touch controls, audio feedback and adjustable font sizes."
https://www.creativebloq.com/news/procreate-3d-paint-2021

I feel like Procreate has made my decision for me. Though I can't see those being exclusive to M1 iPad.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

apparently Prosser says iPad versions of FCP, Logic, and Xcode are coming in June, to make use of those new M1 chips

I really dislike him, but he was right about iMac colors, which nobody else really seemed to have

He recently claimed Google was canceling the Pixel 5a until Google themselves came out and basically said he was wrong.

He was also wrong on the Pixel 5's look.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

USB-C iPad -> USB-C to Lightning cable -> That weird adapter that came with the Pencil 1 -> Pencil

I have had my Pencil 2 unpair from my Air many times...it's kind of weird. Each time I have to delete the Pencil from Bluetooth THEN I can pair it again.

Apparently this is just a thing that happens.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RAM is a factor too for art.

Procreate will not let you have as many layers on large canvases if you don't have enough RAM.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I cannot recommend this app enough.

Download Soulver.

Best $3 I ever spent on an app. Works for both iPhone and iPad. I use my calculator everyday for work, and it’s By far the best calculator app.

I really want to like this but it doesn't seem to help in my precalculus class. :(

Am I missing something?

It'd be cool to type in parts of the problem like that and get the answer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

You know, I did just try and it didn't recognize the serial number. It then asked me to pick the model and I could only trade in up to an Air 3, so I guess their website doesn't support Air 4 trade-ins yet. At least not for iPads.

Impulse spending averted for now. (Or I'll just get an M1 MacBook instead :v:)

I'm using an M1 MacBook Air (8-core GPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) alongside my iPad Air 4 and it's great. I set up a little desktop situation with the MBA and I suppose it works with the iPad too but iPad just mirrors itself on external displays. I'm hoping that changes on iPad OS 15 but who knows. :v:

I don't think the 2020 iPads or iPhones are refurbish-able or trade-able yet...nor the 2020 Pixels since I wanted to trade my Pixel 5 for a refurb iPhone 11 Pro Max but they aren't accepting them at the moment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

jabro posted:

Have you tried Sidecar?

Edit: I guess that is what you meant with saying desktop situation so ignore me.

Oh I'm using an external monitor (Philips 279P) and I do Sidecar into the iPad if I need three displays. So far, my vision is crap enough that the 13" on the MBA is almost too small if it's too far away so I opted to just get a 27" monitor instead so I can sit a bit closer up on it and have more display.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I can’t even begin to imagine what a revolutionary calculator app made by Apple would include.

Probably merge in Wolfram Alpha / Mathway stuff to make it more than just a normal calculator. Or buy out Acqualia, stick Soulver on iPads and iPhones and merge it into the Wolfram / Mathway thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Man, it’s hella disappointing that the iPad Pro 10.5” doesn’t get the Live Text and Visual Lookup stuff in iPadOS 15.

I wonder if that’s all meta data that’s saved in the cloud and would work on the iPad if I use a compatible iPhone to AI-tag the photos.

Do we know if the Air 4 has it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

willroc7 posted:

I apologize if this has been asked a million times in the thread, but is the a recommended replacement screen source for an A1893 iPad or should I just roll the dice with whatever looks good on Amazon? TIA

iPad (2020), iPad Air 4, or wait to see if the iPad 2021 is good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I don't think Apple even messes with them aside from part recycling, even an iPad battery replacement is just a swap if I recall correctly.

Yeah, when I went to pick up the M1 iPad Pro 12.9 from the Apple store, I was told to just get AppleCare+ because Apple doesn't do anything with screen replacements on any iPad, they'll just swap and that's it. AC+ makes that process cheaper (or free in some cases).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Taima posted:

So I recently got the 12.9 M1 Ipad Pro. It was upgraded from the 2018 12.9 pro and frankly I was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it.

Well, it is. Holy poo poo this is so good. I use it constantly, and the Magic Keyboard absolutely loving owns. To the point that it really has revolutionized my use of the ipad from the 2018 model. Also Apple gave me $510 trade in and I bought the drat thing new for $600 (well “new” I got it off the Apple refurb site but those are indistinguishable from new). Then BB had the magic keyboard for $175 which sealed the deal.

Anyways I couldn’t be more happy that I upgraded but the one thing that near-constantly irks me is the local dimming on this display.

Honestly it is beyond horrible. I have literally never seen dimming this bad. My question is: did I gently caress up a setting or something? Could it really actually be this bad? It doesn’t ruin my experience or anything but I’m just constantly aware it in scenarios where it’s a problem.

Usually that’s 4K HDR content but anything with blocks of true black can be an issue. Thoughts? Is this just the way the display is? I thought the whole point of mini LED was that the dimming zones would be smaller and less obtrusive.

It also occurs to me that the issue may be that the display is so bright that the dimmed zones become super noticeable.

Thoughts? I can live with it, but it’s pretty bad at times.

BBY had the 5th gen Magic Keyboard for $175??! I am 100% jealous.

Also, do you mean True Tone? Because it's not that great.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The 4th gen (or is it 3rd gen) magic keyboard will 100% work for the M1 iPad and it’s constantly going on sale.

This is very good to know, I wish I grabbed one at $199 then because it's back up to $350.

EDIT: Got some BBY giftcards and snagged the 5th gen for $200.

Pingiivi posted:

The point about calibration is that it doesn't change around based on your lighting. The screens are pretty accurate out of the box and we have instructed clients to check our color grading jobs on ipads if they can't come over to the studio. BUT, the first thing we say that they should turn off true tone and night shift and whatever "image enhancements" there are.

This is why I'm not a big fan of True Tone. As an artist, it really can mess things up.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 14, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How long are replacement gift cards supposed to take to be e-mailed?

I traded in an 8th gen iPad to the Apple Store, ordered a new Mini, cancelled it because I noticed it was the wrong storage, now I'm waiting on that card and I've been told 1-2 days, called Apple on day 2, got told 3-5, called on day 5 and then told "wait until day 6". Kinda driving me insane and not great CS... Should I just go back to the store or something or does it take 5-7 days?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a coloring app for use with the pencil that isn't in-app-purchase hell, or "tap to fill in the whole section" easy?

There was an app for the Microsoft surface that I loved that was literally just traditional coloring, pick your colors, fill in the shapes. Super relaxing and a good way to unwind.

Everything on the app store I can find doesn't seem to fit the bill, either being IAP central, or weirdly simple. I'm willing to pay for an app, but I can't seem to find one.

As an artist, Procreate is 100000% worth it.

Yes, 100,000%.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kirios posted:

For the folks with high end iPads does is basically become your main computer? How does it behave plugged into monitors?

Mine can't be my main computer as it only mirrors. I use my desktop PC and iMac for main things and my iPad mini for leisurely stuff. My 12.9 iPad Pro is strictly for drawing via Procreate. The M1 is nice and snappy with the size being the best thing about it for art.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

prom candy posted:

So what do you all actually use your iPads for? I bought an iPad Air for sheet music and chord charts but obviously it's massive overkill for just that so I want to make sure I get the most I can out of it. I've been playing chess on it a bit and that's pretty fun, and I was using it for reading a bit but I already have a Kindle that I prefer. I tried using it for SA/Twitter but I love posting and typing on it is a bit tricky for me. What cool poo poo should I be doing with this thing to justify the cost to myself?

I use my M1 12.9 for art and the 6th gen Mini for basically everything else. I got it with a cellular radio so I could take it anywhere and not have to worry about a wifi connection.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You're all wrong.

AirPods Max are the best Apple headphones.

I use mine all the time for my Mac and iPad. They're probably the most comfortable headphones I own. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm an artist and have the M1 iPad Pro 12.9. It's pretty large and the canvas size is good but the weight is pretty hefty if you have to take it somewhere by hand. Also it seems that most 3rd party tools are for the smaller iPads so there's that.

I was able to draw easily on the M1 iPad Air that the Apple Store had as it as easier to hold in one hand while drawing with the other. But the screen isn't as nice and colors not as vibrant. The colors being vibrant vs not could really hinder an artist too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

As an artist, I highly recommend a tablet that supports Pencil 2. Especially if you're going to be drawing. The laminated screens on the iPad Air 4 and 5 and the Pros are wonderful.

Also charging it is much less of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apple needs to make a tiny keyboard for iPad mini.

And put Stage Manager on it.