Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Armor as designed is supposed to protect components in its same tile, but I've read conflicting reports on its efficacy and it certainly doesn't stop my headlights from getting bashed out past three other tiles of plating and rams; the specifics may vary on your game version, from what I read, but essentially armor when it was first introduced was mostly cosmetic, and may or may not work right in the stable version (and obviously isn't a perfect answer there either way). It seems like moving too fast or taking turns in crowded areas causes parts well behind the front of the vehicle to take hits more often; based on the advice I've seen going around and my own experiments, your best bet is probably to make sure everything delicate on the vehicle is behind two or three tiles of armor-plated rollers and rams and such and to drive at modest speeds in straight cardinal lines as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

I believe there's also an enhanced electric engine that you can find in electric sports cars.

I'm not sure the stable build has these, but that does sound pretty boss.

Not that it matters much. My in-progress mobile oppression palace is several tons of steel and composite armor, and the three large electric engines in it are probably way too much as it is; it has beastly acceleration, a 'safe' speed of 197 mph (which I'm pretty sure would instantly paste me if I hit anything at that speed, although the 'Solarbeast' as it has been dubbed would probably just continue merrily trucking through buildings and trees until it fell in a river or something), and a 'max' speed of 559 mph, although I suspect the engines would probably collectively blow like a mininuke before reaching that point. Those numbers will go down once I finish loading it up with more rollers and rams and armor, of course...at least until I slap a couple more engines in it.

The ease of grinding the Mechanics skill leads to some silliness. I've actually been thinking about putting together a remote-control demolishing rig for semi-safely busting down secure areas, but most things are handled pretty readily by fire and guns, so I haven't really felt the urge to yet.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, if you have night vision on, that's probably the problem. Consoles only put out light one or two tiles away; the turrets themselves put out light out to something like five or six tiles away. They're usually very easy to work around; you can usually see where they've lit up the walls from outside the room, estimate where they are, open the door from a safe angle (if there is one), step back to see how far out they light up the hallway, and either stand in the dark to shoot them or safely close the door again without incident if they're too close and lighting up your approach.

As long as you don't confuse the turrets' light range with your own sight radius and you don't have any lights on, turrets are usually trivial to avoid or cheese in the dark.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The game has a wonderfully goofy difficulty curve; surviving your first couple of nights can be really dicey, but if you find a source of water and a source of fire and you have some knowledge of the game mechanics, you can usually easily coast until you can start putting together the stuff to trivialize the midgame (ie, killing/surviving zombies). Once that's dealt with the world is usually your oyster, and you basically only are put at risk by things you choose to put yourself at risk to.

As for stationary 'vehicle' structures, there's no reason not to just rig them with solar power unless you can't find a few solar panels. One or two panels and a single storage battery (all of which you're reasonably likely to find on a single solar car) should be more than enough to power your total day-to-day needs for cooking, welding, and smithing, plus a little extra for dome/aisle lights some nights, at least in the stable build. Rig up half a dozen panels and you can probably afford to leave the lights on with a smallish structure 24/7. Mechanics is easy to build up if you can get over the initial hump to level 2 plus tools so you can take vehicles apart.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, there is an unreasonable amount of dumb poo poo in the game, but it's not overwhelming; usually it's just goofy and entertaining (okay, so, this bedroom has a fedora, a trenchcoat, and a katana, and that last one had a wolf-suit, sixteen pairs of women's underwear, and a pair of cat ears...right), but I wouldn't mind some mods to increase the diversity of endgame melee gear. Let me make a Diamond Macuahuitl with an integrated flamethrower! Or hell, have melee mods a la Gearhead so we can trick out our sweet zombie-bashing gear like we can our zombie-shooting gear. Gyroscopes and hiltspikes for everyone. Maybe if I ever get some free time away from work I'll look into what it takes to mod this game.

In the meantime, yeah, fire is pretty much the catch-all generic answer to problems you don't know the specific solution to in Cataclysm.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Ok, someone spoiler me where i need to take Military Black Boxes? I tried labs and military outposts/bunkers but didn't find anything relevant.

There's a specific room that can spawn in the Science Labs that have a console, a blue tile, and some radio emitter towers in a glass enclosure. You can set the box down on the tile, hack the console, and get the equipment to decrypt the black box and give you a printed report. The only issue seems to be that this may or may not actually do anything in the stable version; from what I read, actually getting some kind of information out of it requires either an NPC quest or an experimental game version (or, maybe, only some black boxes have anything worthwhile?). I know the two boxes I scanned just gave me the generic readable 'report' items that stacked together and didn't appear to be useful for anything.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Alternatively, if you're desperate for rocks and only and specifically rocks for whatever reason, I think you can bust down rock walls in basements and such for them. Having not tried this myself, I don't guarantee your safety nor success. Metal is certainly in no short supply if you can disassemble wrecked cars, and even if you can't zombies tend to do the work for you every now and then.

Energy weapons are probably better long-term if you can get your hands on them, though I've been using some .223-spec marksman rifle since forever and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yes, but that's so much time and effort. Shouldn't the unwashed undead masses be doing these trivial tasks for us?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You could open up your 'm'ap and leave a 'N'ote to tell you where it is; my maps are covered in notes to help me keep track of scavenging sites, things of interest, poo poo I've already done, and yes, where I've parked. It's a God-send when you have no sense of direction.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, concurrent to that, the simplest welder-stand you can make is probably wooden frame, solar panel, battery, and vehicle welder. Throw a pair of welding goggles into the welder's storage along with any necessary supplies while you work and you're set. It's not pretty, but it works.

In other news, the Solarbeast is feature-complete and ready to steamroll across the landscape...I hope. With a 'safe' maximum speed of a blistering 31 miles per hour before the engines start to strain, it probably won't be going anywhere fast, and the first priority in its march of conquest is probably going to be to find new engines to improve its acceleration. Absolute maximum speed is listed as over 800 miles per hour, which is pretty impressive for an RV with tens of tons of armor and bulldozer rollers welded on, powered by every large electric engine in the county, but I'm pretty sure the engine compartment would melt a hole through to the core of the Earth before it could reach that speed.

I fully expect the controls to get sniped by a flaming eye, assuming I don't somehow go full :killdozer: and end up irretrievably lodged in the ruins of a house.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
There's two reasonably valid approaches to labs, I think. Once you have good gear, you can armor up, have something ready to one-shot turrets and most mobs, and a plan for dealing with the robot enforcers that isn't 'run away' or 'stay out of sight', and with all that taken care of you can clear the lab a floor at a time and loot at your leisure. That said, it seems like it's usually not too hard to skulk around in the dark avoiding sounds and lit areas (night vision of some kind REALLY, REALLY helps here, though), and basically avoid all the major threats. Lab room placement is random, but very rigidly structured; most rooms that have dangerous spawns aside turrets have lots of them or have them locked in little boxes, so you'll usually be able to hear things before you see them, and most of the rooms that are really good for looting are going to be fairly quiet, with only a couple of exceptions. Storage rooms have goodies for chemistry including rare books (there's also a couple of fabrication/electronics-aimed endgame crafting manuals here too), while most characters will be happy to find barracks, which is the room you're probably going to need some kind of entry tool for. If a torch is your entry plan and too cumbersome for your initial scouting loadout, it can of course safely be left upstairs until you've actually found the barracks and then retrieved. If you're in party 'skulk around like a drat rat', I suggest not having your lights on much to avoid undue attention and to help you spot lit-up walls so you can safely avoid turrets.

E: Just as everywhere else, if you can find the electricity resistance CBM it can be extremely helpful in labs, protecting you from Skitterbots and failed hacking attempts

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 20, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Slime pits are...unique among the 'dungeon' type areas. Without spoiling TOO much, no, there's nothing worthwhile in a slime-pit, typically. There is a small stash of unusual, questionable loot on the bottom floor, from what I understand, but the pits themselves are just giant open caverns with tons of blobs. Tons and tons and tons of blobs. Don't even bother going down them unless you're very competent in melee, because you'll be spending much of your time wading through and completely surrounded by blobs.

Oddly, if what I read is accurate, you can't even clear a slime pit like most 'dungeons'. There will just always be more blobs. They're a reliable source of mutagen fodder, at least, but pretty worthless otherwise unless one of the experimental builds has changed something.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I have a mini-flamethrower CBM on; it's pretty weak and small, but hey, if you absolutely need something adjacent to you lit on fire and you're not currently wielding a source of fire, it's there in a pinch.

In other news my dreams of a roaming fortress vehicle are pretty much dead at this point. The 'realism' is just too much, I guess. Running into a single wreckage at 20mph annihilated beyond repair two of my ram-plates, and a short jaunt across town took %50 of the Solarbeast's battery power despite the fact that it carries something like two dozen large storage batteries. Also, it was unable to reliably destroy a picket fence with its 66" drum rollers and had to be partially disassembled so that I could smash a single tile of fence in one blow because a roller was caught up on it.

I could just throw in a bunch of V8s or something instead to solve the fuel economy issue, but then I'd have to worry about gassing it up and I guess nothing is going to solve the problem that running into ANYTHING is more destructive to your vehicle than the stationary object, such that even armored drum rollers can't defeat wrecks with no health remaining on their parts or picket goddamned fences. I guess I'll move the useful poo poo over to my hauling car and use it for small excursions; it's extremely disappointing that a deathmobile just doesn't seem to work. I don't know how any of you have had any luck with them, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that's making mine fail every conceivable metric from durability to speed to viability of refueling.

It's not just the electric engines, although they're apparently a spectacularly poor choice of powerplant for larger vehicles in this game. The problem of not being able to defeat wooden fences or having armored parts pop off in a low-speed collision with a stationary wreck are also issues.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure that crossing the post-human threshold is really only particularly profitable with Alpha and Medical mutations, with the former providing good stat-boosts and benefits with little or no downside and the latter basically making you a regenerating machine that's immune to pain. Everything else looks to be a thoroughly mixed bag, and mostly only worth taking for flavor. I think most of the trees have a large mix of lower mutations, so you're probably not going to be able to get exactly what you're looking for very easily, unless I've overlooked something. Just having a large amount of mutagen (and different kinds of mutagen, if you don't want the game forcing most of your mutations to come from one tree) and purifier on hand is probably the way to go, although I think mutating large amounts comes with an addiction penalty as well. I'm still morosely mixing up buckets of mutagen and prepping ice lab gear after the sad failure of my attempts at vehicular mayhem, so I haven't explored the mechanics well enough to say for sure yet. :v:

And, yeah, I think each lab can only have one kind of 'finale' room in it, so if you found a massive vault of rare CBMs and tons of guard-bots you're not going to find a pile of laser weapons or a CVD machine, I believe.

E: And just to clarify, yeah, the diamond weapons book is just another rare loot item in labs, finding it makes no guarantees about the lab's finale.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I thought that too, but then about 9/10 safes I HAVE cracked are empty, so I'm not all that worried about it now, actually.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Labs can have multiple small CBM rooms; it's probably not even worth setting off the alarm to open one if you look through the glass and see no CBMs in those particular chambers. I'm not sure how accurate the manifests are, but I assume they list the shared or possible contents of all CBM rooms in a given lab.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Ah, cool. I savescummed to check, and nothing was there. The glass didn't even open up when I passed the check - I had to sledgehammer it down.

I've had to hack a couple of them two or three times to get the glass to open, for some reason; not sure why.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

You didn't mention what armor you're using but Military composite is the best vehicle armor. Superalloy is something of a misnomer with all of the crazy future stuff around in that it's apparently supposed to be the stuff planes and jets are made out of. Really good substance for the weight but nowhere near as sturdy as military-grade armor. (Superalloy MBR's are great though.)

Yeah, I had figured the power-plant issue (though it's still a little silly that the game will let you slap in more engines when it looks like it's probably not worthwhile after the fourth or fifth- realism!), but as for the armor and durability issues, that part still vexes me a little bit, because it's the only part I can't figure out. The vehicle uses three kinds of armor; the vast majority of it IS military composite, and in fact the first ram plate to be annihilated was military composite; in that short jaunt, despite the low speeds, several parts were nearly destroyed in military composite armor tiles, including one of the rollers, which seems insane given how much health they appear to have. There were spiked plates on the front as well, though obviously they didn't fare very well either, and there's a little bit of heavy plating on the very rear, which didn't take too many hits, at any rate.

My thoughts on the matter so far are that there must either be an element of luck when it comes to damage (how the hell would I literally run OVER a picket fence with rollers and not destroy it in order to get hung up in the first place? Because that is what happened and why I had to disassemble the vehicle to get it unstuck), that damage is modeled in a really weird way and the vehicle actually takes less damage in higher-speed collisions, up to a point, and/or that wrecked vehicle parts must have an INSANE amount of hp, possibly equal to or even greater than their 'healthy' HP, since ONE COLLISION with a wreck I knew to have all-black/no-durability parts was enough to tear up the front of the deathmobile completely, destroying two of the ram plates and severely damaging several of the rollers, armor plates, and naturally, somehow destroying a couple of my headlights four tiles away from the collision.

I should add this is all in the stable build. I should also mention that I'm not sure how you would avoid collisions with wrecks, and other vehicles, as the streets are often completely choked with them; most of the time, my only other option would be to go through a house or a forest tile or something; there's stretches of nothing between the towns, but the towns themselves are usually packed incredibly tight. I had to clear four 'wreckage' vehicles which completely blocked the road from one end to the other just to be able to get my solar car scootabout the twelve or so tiles from my homebase to the nearest bridge, where it was just barely able to squeeze past the congestion, after a few gentle nudges. Am I just having really peculiar luck with the density of my roads?

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 22, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That's entirely possible, yes. The first impact against the fence was dead-on (and still frustratingly weak), but I was maneuvering during the second impact, and it would make sense as to why the vehicle suddenly shifted into a diagonal state after I smashed the fence, so I must not have been dead-on.

Okay, so that's the power plant and the poor destructive force figured, then. That only leaves the issue of the parts, including the military composite armor itself, having virtually no durability against wrecks and constructions. If that's just general Cataclysm wonkiness and not solvable, it still means I'm not really personally going to be able to use the 'deathmobile' concept, because part of the reason for trying was the hope of having an efficient answer to the dozens of overturned trucks and ambulance-on-ambulance wrecks choking every single road in towns.

E: Just had a thought on the durability issue. When I hit the wreck, the entire outer shell of it atomized, not just the part impacted. If the game is doing equal damage to the part hitting a wreck as the sum of about twenty tiles of parts, wrecked or not, that would explain why even a military composite armored drum roller went into red health during the fracas. Which would mean deathmobiles probably aren't a viable answer to this particular world-gen. Ah well. I guess I'll just have to settle with being a mutant death-cyborg. :v:

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 22, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Eventually, any amount of looting is going to attract zombie attention if there's any in the area; all it takes is one hearing you tip-toeing around and it bumbling into a wall trying to figure the noise out and suddenly everything in the area starts converging on the increasing amount of sound (it's a wonder that zombies aren't constantly clustered into little balls tearing down houses, but part of that is the reality bubble effect). It can be helpful just to have good escape routes in mind, preferably ones that weave past other houses, vehicles, or through forested tiles to break up line of sight/get them caught up on obstacles to slow them down. If you're especially unsure of your combat abilities, then you might have to limit yourself to one or two houses per trip, because yeah, that's usually all it takes before the neighborhood starts to wake up.

Fortunately, zombies are pretty weak in the grand scheme of things. As long as you don't see any shockers or brutes and keep your speed up by being a comfortable temperature/unbit/well-rested, you can probably clear up most of an early-game neighborhood just by leading zombies past window sills and bushes and wacking them opportunistically with thrown items or a melee weapon (the cudgel is probably the best early-game melee weapon and can carry you a VERY long way). Critters take a movement penalty both when moving onto and stepping off of rough terrain, so you can wait next to a bush, have a zombie climb up on it, whack them, step back, wait for them to tumble out of the bush, and safely whack them again with zero risk.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, those are the most common finds (plus lots of other niche clothing in the lockers), but you can occasionally find a stash of water and sports drinks or combat style books in the manager's office, they're just rare loot, is all.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's a weapons martial arts skill, pretty much the only one you can pick up in play instead of starting with, I think. While some martial arts styles do confer benefits to weapons, Niten Ichi-Ryu is based around weapons, but as the name might suggest and the general hilarious nerdiness of the game probably implies, it only works with a small subset of the Japanese weapons, most notably katanas and katana variants (and also the quarterstaff, but not quarterstaff variants, at least in stable). It prevents dodging, but improves blocking, and blocking and criticals feed into each other, or something to that effect. It can help one achieve insanely high critical damage values with the katana in particular, because of course it can. Cataclysm.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Perhaps someday if I get a free day from work I'll be able to mod the game up and help it achieve its proper goofy campiness. The game just lends itself to silly ideas amazingly. Like a 'One-Liner' perk that lets you spend a move to 'C'hat to yourself to improve your next attack. Or maybe a book to teach you western medieval swordsmanship styles so you can use things like broadswords and Zweihanders to perform Murder-blows on stunned enemies or get free kick attacks if you're wearing armor/boots. Or maybe a way to stack up vehicle armor so that deathmobiles can actually live up to their full bulldozing potential.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I have found at least one source of sand, for people who were wanting to mix their own cement instead of relying on home improvement stores, but it's sort of pathetic and probably even less reliable: occasionally, parks will spawn with a playground instead of a ball-court, and will have a sandbox. The sandbox contains a finite amount of sand (albeit it looks like several thousand units) which can be mixed with quicklime and canvas sacks to make bags of cement. It's fairly awkward and unwieldy, but I guess it's out there if you need it. I mention this mostly just because, unless I've overlooked it, lots of people have clued into the quicklime, but I couldn't find any other information on where else you could find sand in any quantity.

E: Larry, did you have auto-saves on? You might be able to just reload if that's the case. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's not exactly the world's most refined or well-designed game, unfortunately.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 22, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Grimman007 posted:

How should I prepare for a cold lab? What should I bring?

A little late here, but to elaborate, ice labs can be tricky. Warm clothing and a blanket is probably enough to get you through the first floor, but if it's a multi-floor lab, it will get progressively colder the deeper you go. A lab I went through recently (and foolishly did so in early spring!), was significantly below freezing on the first floor. By the time I finally found the bottom, I had my internal temperature regulator CBM going, my UPS-modified fur-lined electrothermal suit on, my entire set of fur-lined winter survivor gear, and two more layers of warm winter clothing on besides, and I still had body-parts dipping into the negative 100 range and lower. I could only stay just long enough to loot the finale (literally dozens of mininukes! ...which I mostly can't carry and wasn't really looking for. Oh well), and on the way back out I had to light a couple of raging infernos with my mini-flamethrower CBM just to warm up and stave off the onset of frostbite.

Artificer posted:

And in the very next Mansion I look in I find the book of Five Rings. Awesome. Maybe I can find ninjutsu too. :)

Zombies smashing their way through bookshelves dont destroy the books right? Unless they explode into acid or spit acid on the shelves or something?

I think from what I've seen that there's a small chance of items in a vehicle or piece of furniture getting damaged or destroyed when it is, but that's anecdotal and I'm pretty sure it's rare besides. I haven't run tests on it, but I think you're probably fine if there's no boomers, spitters, zombie scientists, or eyes involved.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 23, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, ice labs are really unmistakable if you're paying attention to your temperature at all. In summer, you can go from Warm to Comfortable or even Chilly just stepping into the entryway of the ice lab. Below that, the first floor is probably going to be below freezing even in warmer months (mine was a mild -33F, according to a thermometer in a storage room), and they just keep getting colder the deeper you go. It's a wonder the robots and horrible abominations are able to even function at the bottom levels in deep ice labs.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Ha-HA! gently caress you, Shoggoth! Even horrible abominations from beyond the veil aren't any match for high-powered plasma weapons. :smugwizard:

...unfortunately, neither was the lab, apparently. I died to hubris as my high-powered assault started a massive fire and the building collapsed from being blown up with enough force to facemelt a Shoggoth, repeatedly burying me under rubble with a huge conflagration raging out of all control. :suicide101:

Had I recognized what was happening a turn sooner, I might JUST have been able to escape the destruction and explosions and fire action-movie style, but it was not to be. RIP probably the only good character I'll have.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I expect the area around that lab to be a giant hole in the ground that I can just jump down into at this point. I was crushed to death by multiple chain-collapses plinking away my health.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, bandages are weird. One rag and one charge of thread are enough to reinforce absurdly large stacks of them; I'm not actually sure off-hand what the upper limit might be, if there is one. I'm also not sure reinforcing them does anything other than make the stack slightly more resistant to item destruction (yeah, just scoop that '/. Bandage' out of the spitter acid and slap that poo poo on a wound, should be fine).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yep, the flaming eyes will typically see the manhacks/scientist zombies/security bots on that finale and just gently caress up the entire floor. This is more or less how my last character died. The flaming eyes and shoggoths weren't a threat, but the explosions from my fusion rifle were the last straw for that floor and raging fires and constant chain-collapses crushed them to death.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It at least matches with the general bizarre mis-matched hodgepodge of Cataclysm: DDA, but yeah, Flaming Eyes in particular are problematic. I've been sniped for significant damage in the dark because a Flaming Eye was in an ineffectual slapfight with a zombie scientist a screen away and was just leveling the surroundings. Giving a monster a massive, penetrating attack with huge range and a bad temper works alright if it's confined to one area and you have some forewarning. Having an entire map tile flattened to rubble because a random monster spawned and started flailing at a mosquito is a bit much.

And, yeah, Lessons were Learned about using explosives indoors. I didn't realize the collapses would be cumulative and unceasing, which was the character's downfall, as I didn't start running soon enough to avoid the wave of destruction.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The drugs and underwear one is probably the funniest because for some reason, it often has few or no bodies around. Just be aware that while those random scatterings of special corpses can be a huge windfall, they also in some cases spawn some uncommon monsters nearby. Scientist corpse parties in particular can be dangerous, spawning random non-zombie monsters, and/or zombie scientists, but if you can handle something like a Mi-Go, it's (rarely) going to be a big deal.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
For all the stupid poo poo the devs seem to pull from time to time, I must give this game some credit for the incredibly-obvious-in-hindsight gotchas, like when you start a fire indoors to cook with (and immediately regret it), or keel over dead from a heroin overdose (again, seems sort of obvious in hindsight), or as in my case, drop an entire multi-story lab on your own dumb head because you thought firing massive plasma explosions indoors is a good idea. :v:

Sadly been too busy with work to really get back into the game much, but c'est la vie.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Electric is probably fine as a backup engine, but my experiments with them seem to suggest you're better off with gasoline or diesel as your usual powerplant.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Well, alright, I guess I should qualify that statement. For a runabout that you're going to leave parked for reasonable periods of time and which you don't go TOO overboard with, electric is fine for full-time use. For monstrous multi-ton deathmachines (and I've tried two or three configurations), batteries can end up draining really fast even on short trips with lightly-armored cars that are coated in solar panels. Better quality panels and a bevy of batteries can make a difference, but I don't see any reason not to throw in a V12 or something on larger vehicles if you can find one, just because electric vehicles drain charge surprisingly fast on long trips, potentially leading to frustrating campouts while you wait for the batteries to juice up a little.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, on my last high-strength character I just bolted a couple of shopping carts together and replaced the baskets with cargo carriers. 2000 volume is plenty of storage space for raiding with, and the two-tile 'vehicle' is only mildly cumbersome to maneuver with and can often be dragged through patches of forest just fine.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, unfortunately you can't reliably focus on vehicles as a character goal, so much as a protracted side project. It shouldn't be too hard to find a beater cube van or solar vehicle or something that runs and can be fueled up, but from there fully tricking it out is a long-term task, requiring you to disassemble lots of other vehicles, find or make several rare-ish parts (which may in turn mean finding several books), and you've got to survive roaming around the entire time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm gonna judge you, but mostly for not replacing those trunks with cargo carriers.

This game is an excellent way to roleplay being a post-apocalyptic hoarder. What's that you say? Almost everything I own runs off UPS now? Well, whatever, I'm sure those 30 000 units of battery are good for something, better keep'em around.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You'd probably save more weight just carrying around an extra charged car battery, honestly. :v:

In other news, due to a COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE accident involving broken plutonium cells and aspirin withdrawal on a teetotaller character, I barely survived returning to my home base, where radiation and drug addiction broke all my limbs...somehow. I do have a cleared-out Hospital nearby, so it should be easy enough to use The Treatment to get things patched up, but it's pretty funny that I had to spend a couple of days continually crafting and applying drugs, bandages, and first aid to keep myself alive while I overcame my crippling Aspirin addiction and broke all my bones while purging radiation....SOMEHOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, I did look it up, and, supposedly, all low-level painkillers should be non-addictive. It's possible I accidentally took a dose of something else, but it would be a bit surprising, as I wasn't carrying any other painkillers. That said, my character's symptoms began before finding the broken plutonium canisters, and the similarity in symptoms complicated diagnosis until I mutated rough skin and realized the stupid, stupid, stupid thing I'd done.

In hindsight, since it didn't show up as a symptom on my character page, I guess I must have been irradiated from other source before I made things much, much worse by driving around with some exposed plutonium in the car. I don't know WHAT irradiated me first, as the nearest craters were several map tiles away, but I was attacked by hazmat zombies during my convalescence, so there may have been something nearby.