Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

I was taking both types. (I was taking 'antibiotics', then I also found a weaker type and figured it couldn't hurt).

Antibiotics are a crapshoot now. Once the infection sets in they only have a slowing effect with a small chance to cure every 24 hours. Recovery can take a week or more, and sometimes not even work. It's really not worth messing with anymore, especially since you can get cattail jelly so trivially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yes. Bandages and gauze are the same, bandages just have a higher percent chance to stop bleeding. With some skill makeshift bandages become pretty easy and useful, and can be boiled costing no disinfectant to make.

I'd keep boiled bandages and a condom of cattail jelly by your bed and apply both to any damaged parts before bed and in the morning.

Health score helps too, so avoid mutant meat, junk food, and cracklings. Take a multi vitamin daily. If needed your autodoc can prescribe a leukocyte breeder.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What kind of world have we made where backtab is unknown? Modern GUI's were a mistake.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Robots work because they peer into other universes, but turrets can only be as advanced as modern day ones.

It's sad because there's some really good wild stuff in the design document, and some of the stuff is probably more coherent now (Like when it used to be 2050 and you had to find a CD to use the car stereos.) and they don't really go anywhere with it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Rip Tainted Tornado and Sewer Brew, I never used them, but I always thought of Goon Days Ahead when I saw them.

Thank god there are mods still picking up the slack from what is rapidly becoming a very very bland main trunk of a game, theme wise.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Vehicle coolers own. I had an encounter at one of the farms with a boarded up barn and didn't make it inside in time to save the farmer or the cows, so I quickly field dressed the cows and threw them in the back of my policecar/boxtruck abomination. Cows have a lot of meat, and I quickly filled my freezer and fridge. So I set up a vehicle cooler up and turned my entire basement into an ice box, saving the corpses and freezing the meat. I now have sausage and humble pie material for days. Even mined out a 3x3 room and put a door over it so it doesn't freeze everything. Lots of storage, just need to put some shelves in. I might even set up a kitchen unit in there. Not every recipe accepts frozen materials but I could warm the parts up I need to craft.

Almost makes up for the lovely luck I've had with NPC's. My only friend is a skill less mutant fish man I found by a lab, I've had to get him to read books just to know enough to cut up cars for me. I found a pocket lab with 4 broken cyborgs, and I had no chance of being nice to them. Apparently being half dragon means I can only really intimidate people. Oh well, got all their alloy plating from their corpses, so it wasn't a total loss, but I could use some more friends to chop cars and make charcoal for my sausage smoking.

Arcana mod rules. You'll have to pull it from Chaosvolt's github, but it's a lot of fun and works well with magiclysm. Aftershock, Magiclysm, and Arcana basically makes the game the shadow run game it should be.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Nah I haven't. I'm kinda taking a break in game right now to skill/gear up for looting in the city. I haven't had great luck with books so I hope to find a library or something similar

Man I wish I had enough knowledge to also do these cool things but I'm sure looking forward to it!

Right, I'm currently in maintenance mode after spending three days on the steel mill and being disappointed by the meager finds. I'm currently organizing my crap, disassembling stuff and training skills. I could use some info about batteries. Or rather how I go about recharging them properly? I have a car and enough gas to easily recharge the car batteries I have collected but I'm not sure how I can fill the various forms of smaller batteries I have. I mean I found a hand-crank charger but I assume that will also take a long time. I guess I'm looking for a crash-course about electricity and the related topics if anyone is feeling like teaching me :v:

Do you download the game manually, or do you use the launcher? With the launcher it's fairly trivial, there's a tab for mods that has a lot of the 3rd party unbundled mods, you just install from there. Occasionally the game will update and break something and you'll have to uninstall and reinstall the mod, but the launcher will take care of everything else like upgrading between versions.

Also don't fret too much about the obsoleted mods, goons, I know the vehicle mod will return in the repo soon enough, someone picked it up.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The launcher is worth it, the game is best played on experimental and the launcher makes updating regularly, and rolling back if they gently caress something major up, a snap.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Theres a few things you can do. you can fish with rod and hook, use spears, directly attack the visible fish, or make fish traps and bait them.

Fishing takes fish out of a simulated population of fish, and that population can move, so its not a guarantee.

Also you can set a fishing zone up and make a npc fish. I believe survival skill levels help yield?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Turret pro tip: they don’t have night vision. If you have a source of light that you can throw, step back around a corner to activate it, then throw it so the turret is lit but you aren’t. If you can’t do that, shift-X around the corner, memorize where it is, and run a couple tiles back before you send an aimed burst at the tile it’s on. All tips assume you are in a very dark tile.
Turrets have 4 tiles of night vision, and will return fire at shots aimed at it in the darkness.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLHSUVtvR4

Also for outdoors turrets, the 308 guns, like the modded to hell and back sniper that some of the tougher military zombies drop is good for ranging the 5.56 turrets like the CROWS.

Be aware though that one of the recent PR's has added the military spotlights to roadblocks, so the night isn't as safe as it used to be.

edit: Almost forgot what I was going to say originally.

Pocket labs are a great way to recruit NPC's. There can be locked rooms with 4 or so broken cyborgs in them. A control laptop can make them friendly, and then you can walk into them and turn them off. Put the deactivated cyborg on the auto doc (There is usually one in that particular room.) and remove the control chip. If you are successful then you'll get an NPC that you can try and recruit right there via intimidation or friendliness, depending on if your a big growly monster or not.

Then you can use the auto doc to remove their acid damage bionic, that's the only one that will cause them to die over time. The rest can be removed at leisure. I'm slowly looting a lab and pulling the bionics out of cyborg friends so I can have them run my chop shop. It takes some time, but I've gotten so many good spare parts from all the tech stuff like piles of power converters and what not loaded up in my police car turned boxtruck. If you fail on the cyborgs and they die, then it's not a loss either, they have a lot of functioning bionics you can cut out of their corpses, like all the alloy platings.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 29, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
FYI vitamin defficencies don't do anything currently, that code has been bugged for a long time.

The alerts still happen though and Ive never had issues outside calcium. multivotamons work fine as long as you don't eat them by the handfull.

Anyone make oxyacetyline? For some reason my oxygen cylinders don't work for crafting it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Im currently going for Arcana dragon, along with some alpha, will probably take the magiclysm trees if I can find the books on it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Charcoal is good even with a wooden stove because you can use the smoking rack, which works while you do other stuff and I believe also counts for other cooking recipes, meaning you don't need to keep feeding the fire or lighting your stove up to cook.

It remains useful, because smoked sausage is the bee's knees.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish other prolonged crafts that don't need supervision could work like this. Yeah, boiling an entire drum's worth of water is going to take a very, very long time. No, I don't need to stand next to it staring into it unblinking the entire time.

Yeah. I don't know if it is still in, but the multicooker did this and it owned but was super rare to find. I also wish I could let my npc buddies cook. Like tell them to keep X number of Y things on hand, and they'll automatically spend time using the resources I bring in to make them and throw it all in the fridge.

The problem has gotten worse because as the game has gotten more involved the simulation takes longer and longer, so a long craft can be just you looking at the second monitor for like 2 minutes while your character spends a day doing something. If the NPC's could do it then I could be off playing the game more. Kinda running into this with my cyborg friends. I have to stay by the auto doc for it to remove implants from them, so after freeing 2 npc's it's gotten to the point where I'm out of things in the area to disassemble and drag back to my car for future projects.

Still worth it, they all have kinda crap stats, but I love my rag tag bunch of cyber men and a women, Including one who somehow forgot she was a cyborg and has a hilarious origin story she tells about dreaming about the cataclysm and talking to their psychic.

On the upside, other NPC tasks work great in the simulation. In fact it's easier to chop a car up if I set them on task and leave for a day then if I stick around, they'll just stop after a few hours and I have to go find the part they are stuck on and remove it. More stuff in the midgame should be like that loop. Set your buddies on a task, go loot and explore, come back to check in on them and tow a fresh vehicle into the chop shop.

Dandywalken posted:

Got a blade arm now, and I've become a cyber warrior. I need to find a pain suppressing CBM though, and if it exists, something for stamina.

Both of those exist. The blood oxygenator lets you regen stamina faster for power, and it kicks in automatically when you drown, letting you breathe underwater. The pain suppressing CBM is called a sensory dulling or something, and it's great because it will remove the need for anesthetic, as well. Your survivor will just sit there, motionless, counting the ceiling tiles as the auto dock carves their eyes open. It's metal.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 2, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Afaik it does nothing and is just a novelty item you can hoard

Do NPCs need the skills to complete such tasks? I have a couple of heavy vehicles in my base that need to be scrapped down and I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. As you say I'd much rather be out and about

Yes, but if you have the books for the skills, and the npc can read, then you can give it to them and tell them to read from it, and they'll read till they get a level. I just put my NPC's on a few days of reading mechanics and electronics, which covers most tasks with chopping cars. Do set them on the task before you leave the area, NPC's tend to stop for various reasons and can be finicky if you're in the area, but leave and come back and they'll have worked as if it was a constant effort. Good for cutting forests too, plenty of charcoal tinder to be gotten, or lumber as you can have them make planks too.

edit: 5 str is enough for a few bows, self bow, compound bows (low) (the kind you can loot), shortbow takes 4, making it usable even if they get pained. There's a few str 5 bows too:

https://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Bows

Also the slingshot works as an archery weapon. It's not super effective, but to be honest I don't trust NPC's with high damage weapons. As much as I'm sure they don't trust me with my rifle, considering how many times I've winged them in battle.

edit 2: Oh NPC's can train skills as well. It's not as powerful as it once was where you'd get an entire level, but given time they can boost your own skills up at higher levels where practice is harder to come by, like I have an NPC with high dodge that I've gleaned a level off from asking them a few times a day to train me.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the info! I'll try to get my NPC to read some stuff while I'm currently busy with base building and maintenance. And then I'll try to get them on a task when I head out again. Though I assume I also need to give them them a toolbox and welding equipment+tool to make it work?

Also, is there any negative effect to having a fridge/freezer outside of a house? I'm currently making a couple large storage batts and while thinking about how I'll expand my solar station I wondered if I could just add a fridge/freezer to it instead of using a cable to get power into my house and set it up there

I used a tool box, later I made survivor toolbelts for each npc. I haven't had much luck getting them to weld, I might try again if I can scrounge a power source and a toolset cbm for one of them.

Outside temp does make some difference. When I came across 5 fresh dead cows I rapidly deployed a vehicle cooler in my basement I lived in and it froze everything down there, including stuff in my fridge before I got it's own room dug out with a door on it.

I think that at some point that works out better than even the large aftershock full sized freezers for long term storage. You can fill the freezer with warehouse shelves and it'll hold like 3k plus liters per tile? And you could keep a very large number of those frozen with just one vehicle cooler.

As for transfering power, on the same z level you can just run a vehicle frame through a window or doorway. Not a good idea for the cooler as you kinda want to contain it's cold air, but works fine for most other things. A jumper cable will work for just a z level or transfer, and industrial cables work great.

They are also easy to find, look for recycling centers, they have a ton of jumper cables and usually a few industrial cables. Butcher the ones that aren't full lenght and rebuild them afterwards. You'll have a ton easily enough.

Motherfucker posted:

love me the kung fu montage of grizzled american survivalists attempting to wheedle other grizzed american survivalists into teaching them their dodging techniques and being denied every day because its forbidden knowledge.

It's even funnier because it was a NPC who's half fish and likes mutagen teaching a dragon who escaped a prison island as a political prisoner. I don't think I've managed to find a classic NPC yet. There was a farmer, but he died fighting zombies in the barn I found the dead cows in. Everyone else is a bunch of beep boops I tool the broken parts out of.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PiCroft posted:

Couple of questions, where are you getting dragon mutagen and how do you create vehicle coolers? I have aftershock and arcana + vampirism but I can’t see any dragon mutagen.

I believe you need the sanguine codex to make it, but let me pull up my game. It's not obviously labeled as mutagen, which is probably the problem.

Here's the vehicle cooler though:
https://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/mountable_cooler/craft

Three books have the recipe to make it. It's quite powerful, but you'll want a sealed room. I mined out next to my basement.

Here we go, the dragon mutagen is called Blood Effigy, it's arcana 5 cooking 3. To go post threshold you'll need... congealed blood, which takes a putrid heart, and will make you a full dragon. I've not killed the dragon yet so I'm just pre threshold, but it's mostly useful. A few encumbrance penalties, but some nice extra attacks, some armor, and a beefed up metabolism that makes you heal really quickly if need lots of food and water. Carnivore was the worst, but I purified it easily enough. Keeping cannibal, it lets me dissect human cyborgs without getting sad.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ugh, I was hopping they'd fix the annoying bug pop ups before breaking experimentals again, it was getting so close.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A good early weapon is any rifle like gun/(maybe crossbow as well) and a combat knife. You can activate it and put it as a barrel attachment, and it has reach 1.

This means you have a melee weapon you can shoot at range and also has reach, and better durability that most early spears.

You can get it off of your first mil zombie, if your lucky, which are hard to kill but if you find a handgun then you're good to take at least one down.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There are auto settings for corpses. They aren't bound to anything, but the game is a lot easier if you set them up. You can cycle between pulp, butcher, and if you do it just on the tile you stand or all adjacent ones.

Another key exists for foraging, and I really recomend using that too.

Npc's also are great for pulping hundreds of corpses.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The grain silos are even better than the wheat farms, easily more wheat and in a much more compact area.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tin Tim posted:

There is a certain type of silo that actually spawns with a door but it seems very rare. Have only seen it once so far and all the other silos I've seen have thick metal walls all around so I'm not sure if these contain grain

I've only ever used the doorless ones, they contain a lot of grain. Easy to get into, really. A pickaxe or Jackhammer will get you in, and jackhammers are plentiful in subways. Also vehicle crashes, and you can just bash the wall down with a strong enough blunt weapon.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Underground is more temp stable, yeah. Vehicle tanks on vehiclea with working engines will also defrost, so you could make a potable water and generator combo with a tank, a 1 cylinder engine, alternator and storage battery.

Or install the tank on your car or whatever.

Edit: Fireplaces in an enclosed area also bring temp up so that works too.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

weird that disinfectant works on extradimensional goo

It doesn't. The blob doesn't kill anyone.

Deep zombie bites kill you because you come down with sepsis.

It's still dumb that you clean wounds with disinfectant, rather than soap and water or saline irrigation, though. It doesn't really make sense, if a bite is deep enough to give you sepsis then just putting a little hydrogen peroxide on it shouldn't really help, at all.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RangerKarl posted:

Is it possible to have a cybered up guy also do magic stuff, or are they mutually exclusive to some degree? Noticed my mana was being scaled down in tune with how much bioenergy I had.

Yes, Technomancy has spells that use beep boop juice and not you shall not pass juice. The mana/cyber power relationship is based on your current cyber power, so just don't put a lot of batteries in you. Then you can easily use both and just lose a few hundred mana at max charge.

Also drink mana mutagen and all that jazz, those traits also help.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Press period to manually pass the time to aim. You can kind of gauge how much time you have between hits and get off the best shot you can given the circumstances then.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The laser rifle shines as a personal weapon, though. I don't know if you can currently, but last time I got anywhere with it I was running it off my cyborg power, which is a lot easier to carry and generate than ammo, meaning less trips back to the car to reload my magazines. I'd have to check and see if that's the case now. It's also smaller, and less noisy than the m249 is.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AFashionableHat posted:

Kevin really has a very normal one all the time on the subreddit, doesn't he? Yikes.

I mean last time I checked in on him on reddit he was in the middle of an argument about how much of a slur 'karen' is. What's he on about now?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

I just saw some stuff about patchwork clothing parts etc. Is Tailoring being nerfed?

That's been in the works for a long time, yes.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Leal posted:

Is he against or for the use of the word?

He thinks it's a slur, soo....

I imagine that he wants to speak with everyone's manager a lot.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I was a big fan of the acsii but retrodays has been my go to since it first showed up. It has the easy to parse feel acsii has but conveys a lot more information.

UndeadPeople is still the go to for those that aren't addicted on seeing as much of the screen as possible at all times tho.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you do it quickly you can do a cauterization, then if that fails do a disinfectant cleaning and not worry, if you really gotta stretch your stocks. It is time sensitive though, so be careful, you don't want to wait a few hours then try, or the wound will go to infection right away if it fails.

God wound care is so dumb in this.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, gooing yourself up at night is pretty good until you get some other form of regeneration.

Or multiple.

Cyborg muties 4 lyfe.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I had a post upthread explaining how to get a vehicle inside and outside of a building. TLDR: Construct an empty door frame and build the vehicle through it.

FYI you can make the vehicle, then drag it through any open door/window you've broken the glass out of. Then build as normal, which is a little quicker than making an empty door frame.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I hope not, I've been enjoying being liberated from this game, but I know as soon as guns stop getting more voluminous the more bullets I put into them that I'll go right back to chasing that dragon.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're going to get different ideas on what to change from different people. It's best to start with the things you'd want change, and maybe look and see if any mods do something similar that you can work with or off of.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I want to get back into this, but it's been so long I don't know what mods are good anymore. IS the latest experimental still a good bet, or is there an actual fork people prefer?

I seem to recall a few mods that were good but not on the launcher, too. Like that one magic mod, is it still around or is it basically just magiclysm these days?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Arcana was what I was thinking of. I don't think it's dead though because it looks like they have a version for Bright Nights, and that's relatively new, isn't it?

https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod

Anyways, there's no launcher for bright nights so I'll do CDDA first. I wonder if Aftershock is a thing too, I see the description of it is updated, and I kinda like where that mod was going last time I played.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Looks like I can do what I want, anyways, which is to jam the magic mods in with aftershock and play a prison escapee that becomes a cyborg wizard.

How are flying vehicles? are they still locked behind having the pilot background or are there mods to make their building and use more gamey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is there a mod that let's you make flying vehicles? I tire of a luxury rv that is a boat, and I require more.

Honestly when the scifi mod gets more fleshed out I hope it has fun shuttles to fly and modify.