Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Galm posted:

Still need 3 more turrets to cover all corners.

Why are there 4 fuel gauges, do you have 4 engines in that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Marenghi posted:

I could never get solar power to work. Left my car charging in sun for days but wouldn't charge 1%.

I think you need to be actively controlling the car for the battery to charge. In a regular car it should up to full an hour or two (I think). Hopefully this is one of the bugs they are working on, but since the game doesn't process anything much past your visual range it might stay the way.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I really like the new archery stuff in the nightly release. Starting out archery is much harder to use, but it actually stays useful against armored enemies at higher skill levels.

Also I love having tons of arrow types, I feel like the Green Arrow with exploding arrows.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So, what's the best thing to play right now? Goon, or the nightly build with all the crazy arrows? Being a green arrow in the apocalypse sounds kinda fun.

Actually right now wait a day or two for the nightly, some of the new arrows seem bugged. It seems like they are just typos, fire arrows aren't craftable because they are called arrow_flammable, but the recipe is for arrow_fire. And even then I can't find a way to light them.

Speaking of bugs has anyone else found small areas that are empty? I mean totally black and called "nothing" when I examine them.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

My biggest problem with ASCII is that it adds an extra layer between seeing the current situation and understanding the current situation.

For example, while it easy to remember basic symbols for road, zombie, wall, etc, I can't possibly remember all the item symbols. So every time I walk into a room that has items in it, I have to bring up the 'x' menu and look at each item.

Hit Shift-v it lists all the items in view and you can scroll down the list to see where they are.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Giggle Goose posted:

Is there any secret way to make fires that actually burn for awhile? I put logs in the fire but they don't burn for more than a few minutes and even burn all the way. Also, that kickstarter is moving pretty quickly which is pretty awesome.

I really think that fires using logs don't burn right. I looks like if you light a two by four it burns down to a burnt two by four which burns to nothing, but logs just become burnt logs that go out. Heavy sticks and the like are good too.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

e: Do characters have randomized taste preferences? I just noticed that my character disliked canned corn, which seems kind of weird. This might just be me, since I grew up in an American county with a prominent annual corn festival, but I don't think I've even met anyone that disliked corn. I can understand why my character hates spam, but corn?

Check out the enjoyability of the food, not sure what corn has but it might be negative for some reason. The only thing I noticed is with a higher cooking skill cooked meat gives a higher morale boost, too bad the boost is so short.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

randombattle posted:

Huh so apparently the new version changes a bunch of archery stuff so there's multiple bows and arrow types. You no longer just get arrows from wood sticks. Wood arrows do shiiiiit damage.

Yeah now shooting arrows made the old way, out of a heavy stick or the like, are basically just wooden dowels now. If you do manage to get some fletchings and arrow heads on them you can wreck armored targets now. Wolf spiders are no longer are god drat nightmare.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Amen to that, but the game also seems a whole hell of a lot harder in general. Not that I'm complaining. Just got to be a bit more careful when wandering around. Also the map doesn't seem to save/carry over from character to character. 0.5, I would bring up the world map and it would show where all my previous characters had been.

Unless that was a bug. Or it's a bug that the map doesn't save. Which is it? :confused:

It definitely uses the same world for different characters, I died and my new guy appeared in the same safehouse.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CharlesDexterWard posted:

I haven't played Cataclysm for a bit now, but reading it has made me want to get the latest version and play again.

I really recommend it, the DDA team has added a lot and the game has improved tons even since .5

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Can't you reload bone needles with sinew instead of thread?

Yes, once you get survival to about 3 you'll never run out of thread.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Yeah, but those chips and beef jerky get you empty bags for fletching. Fletching leads to metal arrows, which rip the absolute poo poo out of everything (by that time you should have a long bow or, optimally, a reflex recurve). After I hit like archery level 16 on the stable build I had to make a coilgun to make clearing cities rewarding again, otherwise it was 'F, F, B' for everything that wandered into range.

Others have said this, but the skill gain from crafting is probably the main culprit here. By level 16 in a weapon skill you should be able to tear monsters apart. The problem starts when you can use arrows to get feathers and craft hundreds of fletchings to pump your skill up.

Also headshots from an entire screen away might be excessive.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Caufman posted:

I swear if I don't find a hotplate in the next 24 hours, I'm going to set this two horse town on fire.

The only place I've found hotplates is in an electronics store. Maybe on a zombie as well, but that's totally unreliable.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

0.7 is out already, with a bunch of new bionics.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2330.0

Probability Travel Bionic (walk through walls!)
Railgun Bionic (throw metal items at the speed of electricity!)
Flashbang bionic.
Shockwave Generator bionic.
Chain Lightning bionic.
Artificial Night bionic.

Also a ton of bug fixes, but I think most of those were in the nightly builds.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Is it frowned upon to make general requests of things we'd like to see in game? Because I was just reading about smashing cars into zombies and it occurred to me how much fun it would be to have a nanosuit a la Crysis as a high-end armor. Maybe something where you'd have to install bionics to activate its functions and it would run off of your internal battery. Really I just want to go Maximum Strength and punt a tree into a jabberwock.

There is already power armor that, when you install an interface bionic, runs off your internal power.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Is there anyway to disable the Metabolic Interchange bionic? I installed this thing for the first time and its driving me crazy, it seems like I am constantly hungry even just using really basic bionics.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, that one is a bit weird. I don't know why drugs use the cooking skill anyways. I certainly never learned how to make meth in GWS.

It seems like a compromise to me. I always find enough useful drugs in houses that its never worth making my own, but allowing you to create mutation and purifier vials at a high skill level makes it very good. So instead of scrounging for rare materials to grind a chemistry skill up to a useful level they jut make it cooking.

That being said I really think basic cooking needs a boost. There's almost no point in cooking anything besides meat. If i take the time to make a pizza it should give a really good happiness bonus.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Jesus Torres, post-apocalyptic Renaissance man, finally bit the dust. Packed with cybernetic upgrades and mutations and heavily armed, he made it through two in-game years before finally biting it thanks to two regular Z's and one grabber. Only because he swerved his flatbed to hit them, nicked a parked car and ignited his gas tank. Note to self: if in future games you decide to disarm and pick up seventeen land mines, do not place them in the trunk directly behind the driver's seat.

Wait can explosives in your trunk actually explode? I've had cars explode and kill me before with nothing much in the trunks.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The 360 cameras would be nice, but I just really want side mirrors on my car. They could be really weak, but easy to find replacements. The only problem I see with this is you would probably have to modify all the pre-existing cars to have them too.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

edit2: How do I tell if my power armor MK II interface is working or not? Does the encumberance change if a powered armor is properly powered? Does the MK II not work on the basic armor?

If your power armor is giving you 5 encumberment on all body parts its not powered, if its giving you 1 it is powered.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Also fire works well on them, but that's true of everything.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Nastyman posted:

Is there any way to fix the broken generators down there? I don't even care if they end up activating a fuckload of security bots or something, it was kind of disappointing to just leave them there since, you know, science lab full of electronics and strange machinery.

No, but you should be able to find a flashlight fairly easily or at least enough batteries to power one into the next century.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Giant ants, man. They roll deeper than a motherfucker.

Scent is a killer sometimes. If you want to attack another ant hill its a good idea to break the scent trail back to where you live. Drop some skewers on a pile of bodies and light it to get some smoke going. Smoke bombs and tear gas work even better, just toss them behind you on the way back and it should break line of smell.

Destroying the queen will deplete the ant spawns, but I have no idea how long it takes.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Drake_263 posted:

Can somebody do a datamine and see what the stats for smoke inhalation are? I got killed by a goddamned smoker's cloud - I killed the smoker but not before it managed to tear apart my filter mask. I went from full torso health to dead over the next three hours from coughing my lungs out - the wiki says it -should- last for only 15 turns from smoke inhalation, there might be something funky going on with the code for the drat thing.

Its 15 turns per cloud and with a smoker you can potentially be caught in dozens of clouds. I also heard smoke was tuned way down in the latest builds, but I haven't played them to confirm.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jeesis posted:

Going back to my cabin after a corpse run two bears decided to say hello, I greeted them with a nail bat to the skull. Does food placed into a refrigerator last longer?

Also, does the corpse get moved at all when you die, and does anything you put into containers stay in them?

Fridges don't have power so they don't keep food fresh. I'm pretty sure your corpse stays exactly where you left it and the world keeps everything the same.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jeesis posted:

Do the turrets have a finite amount of ammo? Is it also possible for it to shoot downward? I wanted to slap one I found around a populated area and cheese the game for delicious loots or build a small house with it on the roof for defense.

Also, is it possible to build underground? If it is I am assuming I need large amounts of explosives.

Turrets have never run out of ammo that I've seen. Nothing can attack across z levels and in fact that kind of complexity was one of the kickstarter goals. In fact you can't go onto a roof or above the ground floor in buildings yet. You can technically build underground if you did a hole and just jackhammer out a space, but since there is no way to build stairs yet good luck getting out.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

deptstoremook posted:

I stopped playing Cataclysm back around when Whales stopped working on the project, it was a bit too buggy, but I thought then that it had the most potential of any of the new roguelikes. It looks like DDA has added a ton of new content and gameplay. The last page or so has focused on the questionable content, but is DDA fun to play? Any really critical new ideas since I stopped?

The game is much different than the Whales version. I didn't play that version much at all, but DDA changes some very fundamental parts of the game and the nightly builds are changing things even more.

The XP system is gone and has been replaced with focus. With 100 focus you gain skills at a rate of 1x and with a focus of 50 you gain at .5x. Morale raises focus and having very high morale can make focus go over 100. Archery is quite different now you can't just build a longbow and clear an entire town on the first day, but it also scales better at high levels so robots and armored targets are no longer impossible to kill.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

PiCroft posted:

What mod is this? I didn't know there were "mods" per se in Cataclysm.

fake edit: actually I vaguely remember something about LazyCat and drama surrounding him. Anybody got the lowdown?

He has another Cataclysm version. Dark Days Ahead isn't the original, Whales was the original dev and he released the source code and stopped working on it. LazyCat implemented tiles and Z levels before DDA and kept spamming their forums advertising his build. I think they tried working with him at first but that failed. He is also a crazy person who will not let up on some personal crusade to show how his is the best Cataclysm ever and how DDA is inferior in every way. You can imagine the kickstarter did not help.

I also feel like this is going to become Beetlejuice and that we should stop mentioning him or risk summoning him.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm kinda glad I retracted my kickstarter pledge at this point, it's been 5 months and they still haven't gotten all the promised stuff in.

I did pledge so I can see the Dev diary and GalenEvil got pretty sick back in October and that seemed to slow down progress.

Also if posting part of the private journal in uncool I will gladly delete this but he also posted:

quote:

I have already told GlyphGryph this but since the concern has been voiced in here: I will be working on this until I finish, whether or not I get it completed in the predicted timeframe. So, if I complete on time, awesome for me. If not I'll be working without additional pay, slowly bring down my average wage/hour, until I finish.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Doug Lombardi posted:

I wish there were more things you could do with scent, like mask your own scent with deer urine or smash a bottle of ethanol while running away from zombies to cover up your scent trail.

No masking your scent preemptively without a bionic, but you can just light a fire as you run away and the smoke will destroy your scent trail. This is a VERY good idea if you are fighting something like ants.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I dunno even in Unreal World you can survive on smoked meat basically forever. It has many of the same problems with regards to cooking. You can create complex stews and soups, but it way easier to just cook and smoke an entire stag.

Or just fill a bag with 12 lbs of cow milk, but thats kinda cheating.

Cataclysm could probably overcome this by giving complex foods much longer lasting morale boosts.

If you are going to take the time to learn how to make a meat pizza and then actually collect all the ingredients there should be some kind of reward for doing so.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Make him use libtcod or something. Curses is literally hitler.

Please tell him this on twitter or something.

https://twitter.com/whalesdev/status/412040969849032704

I know literally nothing about coding, but it would be great if some of the knowledgeable people here gave some advice on the ground floor.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a way to see what is new in the experimental builds? I don't need exact details or anything, but even a small explanation would be helpful.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

PiCroft posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding encumbrance (or its been changed recently) but I've always found "wearing" stuff that isn't clothing useless and counter-productive to a character that wants to even stand a hope of melee. Typically, if I have a character who does melee, they'll usually have some kind of coat (which goes in the "worn over your other clothes" slot) and a kevlar or MBR vest. If I then add a wearable flask, it adds an immediate +10 encumbrance simply because it goes in the "Worn over your other clothes" slot and brings the number of items worn there to 3. This is on top of any backpacks I'm wearing. I find I'd rather just have the tiny volume hit than harm my melee abilities.

I also wish there was an inventory-of-an-object system so that if I drop a bag, everything it holds is also dropped - it would massively simplify prepping for melee.

The encumbrance system makes no sense to me anymore. It didn't make any logical sense before when wearing underarmor, a fitted dress, and long johns gave you negative encumbrance but at least I could puzzle out the system. Now if I want to wear any type of armor and a pack it instantly tanks my melee/dodging down to nothing.

Why the hell does a windbreaker have the same encumbrance as chainmail?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I've killed so many hulks with a bow and arrow its weird to hear they can eat tank rounds. They are dangerous but unless something changed I don't remember them being that bullshit.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

palamedes posted:

Unrelated question: I just found a pristine and fueled security van parked outside a jewelry store, was that random or is it in the jewelry store spawn code? The trunk was full of gold and such so it looks related.

Not sure but I found the exact same thing in the same spot so its possibly non-random.

I got it as a brand new character, and was probably the best find I could possibly make at that point.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

I managed to to get a copy of "Under the Hood", which gave me the skill to use all the car stuff I had around, so rather than try to figure out how to put a new wheel on the box truck I managed to scrape off the left front wheel of on a gas pump, I fixed up an ambulance that was basically sitting in my front yard instead. It had a blown engine, but the police car next to it had an even bigger engine in it, so now I have an ambulance in perfect shape (save the security system and wheels). Can I leave stuff on the floor of the box safely, or will that not work for whatever reason?

As long as the part of the vehicle you are dropping the object on has a volume capacity its fine. You can even store a small amount of stuff on a seat or bed.

Besides that you have mastered one of the more important parts of this game, always add a bigger engine.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Viral Warfare posted:

So should you just not go with guns or what? They seem kind of crap compared to melee anyways.

Guns are incredibly powerful. But I haven't seen anything they can do you can't do at least as well with a bow. Even a longbow will serve you well in the early game for clearing out less dangerous zombies. But an accurized reflex recurve bow with every attachment and metal arrows can take out hulks in a few shots from across the game screen. Plus it has reusable ammunition that you can craft with junk you can find anywhere and is silent. And when you do find cool explosives you can usually turn them into some kind of arrow.

Melee is fun and powerful. A rapier using fencing seems totally overpowered actually. But it still exposes you to risk and gets messed up by torso encumbrance.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I see they changed how stat points work. To be honest, I'm for this change. It was way to easy to just take no skills, 12 points of disadvantages, and then pick up stable genome and like genius level stats.

Going to be interesting to get a handle on things again.

How did they change them? I only update the build once in a while and didn't notice anything in the change log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mystery Prize posted:

Incredibly stupid question I'm sure, but how in the gently caress do I actually create a world on the latest experimental release? From the main menu, I'm choosing World > Create World, which brings me to a screen asking me what mods I want to use, and as far as I can tell there is no key on my keyboard that lets me get over from the "Mods to use" tab over to "World Gen Options" or "Confirmation"

Tab (and a few other keys) just move me around through the Mod list, and spacebar takes me back to the main menu, but I sure can't find a way to progress here.

Surprisingly not stupid, that got screwed up somewhere recently.

In the world gen screen hit "?" to get to the keybindings screen. Rebind "Move to next category tab" and you should be good to go.