Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
After dying to bears and spiders like a dozen times, I finally managed to survive longer than a couple of days and fix up a vehicle to drive around in.

gently caress zombies. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

Do I have to get a bigger car to be able to drive over bushes now? I was driving around in a standard 4-door sedan and I couldn't drive over any bushes. That really cramped my style, had to actually stick to roads like some kind of a commoner.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

Towns are a death trap early on in the game. You have no protection against zombies and you'll just get swarmed and killed. Try wandering around on the country roads and looking for anything useful. If you happen upon some dead scientists, grab an ID card and find a science lab. They have tons of good stuff and not much enemies to fight. You can even convert the above-ground portion of a lab into a nice little base for yourself.

As for weapons, I crafted a slingshot and used that to get a few skill levels shooting squirrels in the forest and then swapped over to bows. Managed to find some decent weapons later on but I'm still sticking with my trusty composite bow.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Unrelated: Can bone meal actually be used? I can't figure out how. I tried to apply it, but I ate it instead. :|

I was trying to figure this out too. Apparently you have to make bone meal and chitin powder, then craft some plant food with those two powders and some ammonia. Then when you [e]xamine a plant with plant food in your inventory you get the option to fertilize it.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

It's funny how you can still dodge/block melee hits while you're sleeping. A sewer rat sneaked into my bedroom and started attacking me, but I was wielding a katana when I went to bed (as a goon should :v:) and kept blocking every single hit. I ended up gaining something like six levels of dodge from two of these encounters.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a good list of what actions various skills are used for and what are good ways to raise them? The wiki skills page isn't that helpful, it really need a page on each skill.

Very stupid question: How do I loot a cupboard or pick stuff up off a table? I've been resorting to smashing them.

[e]xamine the square the cupboard/table/whatever is on and you get a list of items in it.

For skills, you can find skill books around the gameworld that will give some starting skill levels. Look for a library or a mansion, they usually have tons of books.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

Indeed it has, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.A Kaufman has been released!

Update notes:
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5544.0

Highlights:
Module manager.
Fullscreen mode.
Many mutations, more refined mutation progression.
Improved view options for driving.
Improved item handling, including category views, partial stack handling.
Mouse move and mouselook.
Fishing.
Working Refrigerators.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

I can't run the newest release, it just crashes on startup. I seem to be having the same problem as this guy on the forums:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5548.0

Already tried deleting the lang folder and running the executable as administrator. Anyone have any ideas how to get this game working?

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

So, uh, has anyone else ran into zombie bio-operators in the latest experimentals? They're pretty scary. :stare:

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

Artificer posted:

Neat! Do you get to the point where you can melee turrets/robots to death? Or should you stick to skilling up Archery for that?

If you're sufficiently well armored, 9mm turrets won't pose much of a threat. Rifle turrets and AM turrets will ruin your day though if you try to get up close, so you're going to want some kind of high-caliber rifle for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

The latest experimental release has a mod that adds in tanks. They're kind of... big. :stare:

This one had 270 rounds of .50 BMG, 200 rounds of 7.62mm, several HEAT tank rounds and three plastic jerrycans of diesel in it too. It's in decent shape too, I could get in it and drive around.