Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

was thre a new font/way to change the font used to make it look nicer? I think it was in the last thread bu I can't seem to find the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

There you go.

Oooh, Thats a nice looking font for this game. It s abit easier on my eyes too. Thanks!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Kuntz posted:

Hang on. :psyduck: Am I just reading this wrong, or can you actually make mutagen from ammonia, bleach and zombie bits?

Yeah. You need a certain level of Cooking, though I can't remember exactly what level. You can make Purifier as well so you can make stuff to hulk out and stuff to undo any hulkification you don't want.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I still think thirst mechanics should be toned down, if only slightly. Having to religiously store bottles of water and purify it until you can get a couple jerrycans (one for clean, the other for gathered water is annoying as poo poo.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

nftyw posted:

I hate juggling plastic bottles so the moment I find a gallon jug of bleach, that poo poo gets poured out and I fill it with clean water.

I think a good way to alleviate some of the problems would be to scan the inventory for partially-filled containers when you try to make a drink, or purify water and ask if you want to use that first. I just noticed when making Screwdrivers that each craft makes a portion, but I don't know how many portions a single bottle can hold so now I'm going through my homebrews pouring them into as few containers as possible. It hadn't occured to me that making a portion of Screwdriver (or any other drink, water included) only fills a portion, not a bottle. This probably explains why I apparently needed 50 bottles of water to quench my thirst (an exaggeration but not too far from the mark in some circumstances)

e: on further thought, a simpler method might be to use colour-coding when making liquids and selecting a container. Empty containers one colour, partially-filled conatiners that hold whatever your trying to fill another etc. I might take a peek at the code and see how difficult this is.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 9, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also, just to say: gently caress bears. gently caress bears forever.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We should be able to butcher corpses for fat and make tallow candles with them.

Dwarf Fortress player spotted :cheeky:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The DDA build has a .cpb file that you can open with Code::Blocks which shouldn't need to have any of visual studios bullshit. Just install codeblocks, run the file, hit compile and away you go. You'll need to download the source though and if your using the Goon edition Jon will need to put the source up or build it himself.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm currently working on a build from the most recent nightly build to add in some stuff, chief among them being the ability to repair non-wool/cloth etc stuff. I'm going to add plastic bits you can salvage from plastic objects, such as plastic bottles, which you can use to reinforce and repair kevlar, military rucksacks, gasmasks and the like. I'll post it up in an hour or so and you can give it a go.

If Jon wants, he can post up his Goon build source and I'll throw it in there, from the looks of things, the changes are trivial.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, I got it so you can (a)ctivate a knife, select "cut plastic" and select a plastic bottle to get chunks of plastic which you can then use in conjunction with sewing kits to reinforce any clothing that has a plastic or kevlar material tag.

It took me longer than I expected to faff with the item creation stuff so this is disgustingly hacky. I'll upload it it tomorrow night once I've had a chance to properly sort it out.

Is there anything else regarding clothing repair/reinforcement people want in the meantime? Kevlar vests have the kevlar material tag and since there's literally nothing else in the game that has this tag, using plastic chunks to repair it is a temporary measure until I can think of another way to obtain kevlar. Once I get a chance, I'll make it so you can cannibalize other kevlar vests for chunks of kevlar and use that instead but beyond that I've no idea where you would get kevlar outside of cutting up a kevlar vest.

As it stands, though, you can repair those nifty clothing items that you previously couldn't, such as gasmasks and military rucksacks. Tomorrow I'll add the ability to repair metallic items like army helmets.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Yeah it took me a while to figure out why I wasn't exiting the car I accidentally entered in the middle of a zombie horde :/

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Hey Jon, I've put in kevlar/plastic item repairing as well as salvaging plastic and kevlar materials, do you want the source? I'm working on further amrour/clothing modification and reinforcement at the moment too.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

If you find a jerrycan, drop whatever you need to in order to collect it short of getting yourself killed. I now hoard them and transfer stuff like drinks from cans that I have too many of, so I can dump the cans and compress my item lists.

Speaking of, unless someone else has done so or the DDA build is planning it, I might look into making more stuff stackable. Its pretty dumb that strings and rags are treated the same way as rocket launchers and jerrycans of fuel for container space purposes.

e: also, rubber hoses can be found by (s)mashing fridges.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 13, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jon93 posted:

I'm already working off a Github fork so just request pull / push access and I'll approve it. https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Also PM me for my skype info so we can coordinate.

Pmed you. How do I request push/pull access in github?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I like travelling in a vehicle, not only because its convenient but because its a lot more secure than ordinary boarded doors/windows. I don't think i've ever had anyone break through my boards or vehicle doors (although they did break through my windshield once).

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm trying to see how many movie monsters I can be. So far I've been the Wolfman, The Blob and Mini-Godzilla, as well as being (very nearly) Robocop mixed with Megaman.

Think I might try and be Treebeard next.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Maybe I'll add a slide-in shades bionic and I can be Adam Jensen.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Unbound posted:

Just got through the tutorial and my first death in this game. All I can say is "Wow, this game is great fun." My first character stumbled upon a bunch of dead scientists in front of a church. So I take their gas mask, USBs, an ID card, and a screwdriver. With my new, handy-dandy, screwdriver, I voyage into the church, only to find some stairs. So I go down.

More rats than the screen has room for. I frantically flail my screwdriver around as rats start to eat my chest, so I run back upstairs. The little bastards follow me. So there I was, in front of a church, surrounded by rats and dead scientists. I continue to swing my screwdriver in terror as I die. My kill count: 1 - Sewer Rat.

I can't help but wonder, If I would have used the Bleach and Ammonia the scientists had, could I have gassed all those rats?

I don't believe so, there isn't any way to mix the chemicals. Even if you poured both out onto the ground, they wouldn't produce gas. Its a nice idea though!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Unbound posted:

Well that's a shame, but I can't expect everything. Besides, it might be in a future build, right?

On another thought, how practical is a solid melee build? I've always been more of a berserker in rougelike games. The bows and guns are fun, but there's just something about being surrounded by zombies while wielding a lead pipe.

Its possible, but difficult. You'd need to train the poo poo out of your melee/dodge to stand a hope in hell against large numbers or very powerful mobs.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Since the game already includes weird mystical poo poo, I'm wondering if adding in psychic capabilites would be worthwhile. You can grow a scorpion tail and turn into The Scorpion King, why not develop the ability to attack things with your mind?

I was also looking at implementing some kind of electrical system as well. It would be cool if you could power a building and turn on all the lights, and get powered fridges you can preserve food in. I think this is probably quite ambitious though.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Of course it's ambitious, but the game is in dire need of things to do once you've got basic survival down pat.

I've seen inactive consoles in elevators in various buildings which leads me to believe electricity will be an inevitable part of a future update but I haven't seen much progress in that regard from the DDA team so I might look into it. I still need to implement clothing upgrades though so I'll finish that first.

Also, something I'd like is the ability to construct custom guns by making sub-components and assembling a complete weapon that uses ammo and reloading mechanics depending on what parts you used. You can make a stock, attach a repeating mechanism, a clip and a chamber of whatever caliber and you have a homemade assault rifle. Stick a handle on a 12 gauge chambered tube and you have a single-round, reload-after-every-shot "hand shotgun".

Additionally, either make cartridges and stuff more generic so they can be interchanged more easily or add the ability to create your own. One of the reasons I turned to archery despite how overpowered it is (not in the goon build anymore I know but still) is because it was a pain trying to find sufficient quantities of ammo to justify carrying any particular weapon.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

esquilax posted:

They're already somewhat interchangeable, you just need to use the bullet puller and hand press to covert one type into another. The only thing that isnt interchangable between all cartridges is primer and there are only 5 types.

Which version are you using? latest build I have still has specific casing for every caliber (.44, .45, .38, etc) which means when you break apart any of that ammo, unless you luck out and find a bunch of casings that you want somewhere else, you can only reassemble as many bullets as you have the casings for.

So if I had a small amount of 9mm and .38, I could salvage the lead, gunpower and small pistol primers, but since the casings aren't compatible, I can only assemble the bullets back together again into their original forms (or modified forms, but still the same caliber). Breaking apart 20 9mm and 20 .38 can only give me what I need to reassemble 20 9mm and 20 .38.

This is what I mean by making them interchangeable. I need the ability to make casings for whatever calibre I find and since my only sources at the moment is lucking out and finding spare casings I need.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Facepalm moment: I'd forgotten salvageable ammo casings :doh:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

"You hit the skeleton in the right 3rd finger 2nd knuckle!"

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also, my "fix plastic & kevlar poo poo" has been merged with the DDA source so if you want to grab the source and build it with my changes you can. I'm not sure when the nightlies will be updated but I imagine it'll be there next time.

I'm going to change it to use soldering irons though because repairing a plastic hardhat with a chunk of plastic with a sewing needle and thread is pretty dumb and I regret making a pull request before fixing that properly.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jon93 posted:

It's also been merged with GDA so it'll be in the next build of that.

Awesome, thanks!

I hadn't realised you can't fix fur stuff but I should be able to replace the plastic/kevlar stuff in the sewing code to use fur instead and move the plastic/kevlar to soldering.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Just a heads up, it appears my stuff was bugged.

When I tested it, I didn't need to include an underscore in the materials check, as it was using the literal name of the repair item. This has been changed to require the item id instead, which broke my stuff.

Typical it would have to happen just as I committed my stuff but w/e I've fixed it now. I've also:

moved the repair for plastic, kevlar and metal to the soldering iron. Metal items can be repaired with scrap metal.

added the ability to repair fur items.

I've changed sewing/soldering to take into account both primary and secondary materials so you should be able to, for example, repair fur items with either leather or fur (this applies to any clothing item composed of more than one material).

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I know this is already getting pretty long, but I also have a few quick questions.

1) Do headlights use fuel or battery? Will leaving them on all-night so I can read or keep an eye on an area, slowly drain my fuel? If they don't use fuel, do I have to worry about them draining the battery so that I can't start the car in the morning, even if it has plenty of fuel?

2) Is there any way to determine how much damage is done to a vehicle when you run into a zombie? I've found that even my bicycle is capable of downing a regular zombie if I hit him going balls out (20mph), and I won't even crash if I'm going perfectly straight. But bicycle tires aren't exactly the most plentiful things, so I'm worried about just wrecking the tires if I do that more than four or five times.

3) Is there any reliable place to find firearms and ammo beyond a gun-store? I'd really like to get my hands on a .22lr rifle and some ammo. I know everyone says it does incredibly little damage, but nail-guns only do '2 damage' and in my last game, I was regularly doing 8-10 damage a shot in single-fire mode.

4) Is there anyway to build a bed that allows you to sleep as well as a regular bed? I know you can make a makeshift bed, but I don't think it's at the same level as a regular bed.

* I learned very quickly that surviving the early game without just getting torn to shreds, means making a lot of pointy sticks or spears, and getting very good at throwing them. Also, knowing how to get the stupid zombies tangled on the various garbage littering the area and knowing how to make good use of that additional time it buys you to get some distance.

1)no, lights are unlimited on vehicles. Also, there isn't an engine battery to speak of so you only have to worry about battery power if your vehicle has an electric engine.

2)There isn't really any way to determine how much damage impacting a single creature does to your vehicle except to constantly monitor your vehicle's status. You can smash away to your hearts content though since I've mowed down legions and only gotten damage when I hit something solid like another vehicle or a building. If there is damage from hitting zombies, its miniscule.

3)LMOA Shelters, Military bunkers and (sometimes) Labs have stores of ammo. Also anywhere you can find automated turrets.

4)From the code, it looks like there is no difference in trying to sleep in a makeshift bed versus a "pre-built" one. This also seems to apply to rollmats.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I just looked through a few of the headers and source files; I'm not planning on adding or changing anything, I was just curious. The source is a loving mess though; it's written competently enough, but everything is hardcoded and it honestly looks like everything was done in the hardest way possible. Take the options source for example; if you wanted to add a new option, there's a dozen places you need to add it to. I actually just wrote an options class for my own project yesterday, and adding a new option is two lines:

code:
Preferences.myNewOption = aValue;
Preferences.descriptions.myNewOption "A description goes here.";
The preferences themselves are just a lua file that gets read; their values are then stored in an unordered_map so they can be quickly retrieved by name. Of course, the full class has a lot more to it than that, as you need to do a lot of error checking, ability to save preferences, the need to abstract the unordered_map so options are only accessed through the class interface, etc., but that's all code that only needs to be written once and then can stay the same no matter how many options you add or remove. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the Cataclysm source could be drastically made better if it made judicious use of scripting for everything from options to items.

I just spotted this post and I can relate. I've been trying to make modifications of my own and its a nightmare. I'm assuming the bulk of what I'm looking at is Wales' work and it seems to me like he knew C, but wanted to try writing C++ but had no idea how. There's almost no object orientation.

Also, he used spaces instead of tabs to indent functions, if/else/for statements and such like which immediately lands him on my shitlist :colbert:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Mega-ambitious code project: implement helicopters.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also fungaloids multiply so fast they may as well be dynamic spawn. I can clear out a group of them and have them return to full strength in minutes so I never bother and just stay away from anywhere that has a Fungal Tower nearby

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, so, things I'm going to be looking into are end-game type things but I'm not entirely sure what those should be. Pretty much all the big suggestions I can think of are things that would take some time to do. I've been having a look through the suggestions document but I don't have permission to edit it so I'll make a new one. Also, if anyone wants to contribute code of their own, feel free to fork the git and make some pull requests and I'll merge them in.

Suggestion form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xY9Ukti15LFvdN65mODCq_g0c75CxSg41_elYaddB_I/viewform

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jon93 posted:

Everyone complaining about the lack of tile support would be pleased to know that it's half-way into the game already.

Even if this shady Kickstarter falls on it's face I'd expect it to be in the game within a few months.

I'm going to quick compile a version of GDA that uses the shipped 0.6 code in the hopes that it fixes game breaking bugs for you brave souls running it.

After that PiCroft is going to be sole runner of GDA for a while, god speed.

God save us more like :woop:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

One of the things the DDA team started one early on was an item factory and loading stuff from files, which makes adding new tools, ammo etc a cinch. I think addin repairable Kevlar and plastic would have taken longer without it.

I think the problem with going through the code and un-loving it would require a pretty massive undertaking, even if it were just to convert variables to meaningful names and properly documenting the code. I'm not sure how much the DDA team are concentrating on this aspect though.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Use the extended '/' menu for inventory management. It does exactly that (and is just generally better.)

Which leads to say the next logical step for the inventory/item storing system is to implement stacking by default. I'm sick of having 2 pages of rags in my inventory when there is now no good reason not to stack them anymore.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

It also folds everything you can pick up, regardless of what it is, under the single parent class "item" and determines its behavior with a function pointer to whatever the hell it needs to do. Now, given the sheer variety of functionality items have, function pointers isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you want to make everything inherit the same stuff to the point where you can check if a heavy stick contains a volume of liquid and other weirdness like that, there is no excuse to dynamic_cast poo poo all over the place to make stuff fit together which I strongly suspect is the culprit behind heap corruptions people have occasionally reported.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 24, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Thats for the DDA build, the GDA build is here: https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Also, no offense to Jon but I'm thinking of putting the Furry Body mutations back in. It was a useful mutation and I disagree with its removal because furries (if that were the case we'd have to remove all mutations). Is this okay with people (Jon included)?

In addition, if you have suggestions and bug reports, please use Jon's form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19yPWYabJaKwv-FIGv5YSE4tcYZVRKMkjbI8dzA7yu68/viewform

And you can see the responses here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncNp4c6stYIdExxRzRpODVzSlF1c05xWUxIdmZnMkE#gid=0

Please ignore mine, its better if we keep the suggestions in one place.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Go for it. It was pretty kneejerk stuff, and a bit of extra warmth could be handy in the winter.

+8 dodge on tails was pretty goddamn ridiculous though, and should stay nerfed.

Edit: PiCroft's post mirrored on the new page. I can't find the new version on that page, though. Also, the list needs a bit of updating with respect to the new main DDA version. Are there any parts you need help on for future releases?

I need to integrate the latest progress from DDA into GDA. I'm still new to github so I don't know how easy it is to pull in things without overwriting GDA stuff but that's where I'm going to concentrate.

If you want to tackle a bugfix or suggestion on the list, feel free. I can modify the list so if someone fixes or implements something on the list I can mark it down as in progress or done or whatever. I can merge pull requests so if anyone uses github I can merge in stuff easily from there.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

fuckdamn but git is such a faff. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to merge it correctly. I think I nearly have it but now drat this could have been solved so much easier if the mergetools weren't so goddamn finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I just sent a pull request to GDA! Hope I did everything right...

I found the structure for adding books to the game so easy that I just went crazy. There's a magazine for every skill, manuals for most, and a few extra textbooks.

Merged!

I think I managed to successfully merge the DDA master with the GDA fork, so if you want to work with the GDA source, you *should* be able to checkout now and you'll get the fully merged version.

Its now 1am here so I don't have the time or energy to fully verify it so if anyone wants to check it to make sure things are a-ok I'd be grateful. I just did a build and it seems to be okay but git is very freaky when it comes to syncing branches and poo poo.