Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Qubee posted:

Is it something I should avoid if I'm on my 3rd day and I'm a beginner? Or can I carry on kiting zombies like I have been and taking them out one by one.

Provided you can deal with the occupants, FEMA camps are probably best explored early on as their loot typically becomes not worth it to much more established survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I always have more than enough disinfectant from first aid kits. In fact I usually find at least 2 in the starting shelter and each one has a bottle with 10 disinfectant.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

why would a washboard and rag be large and heavy?

Realism. Also "Balance". We don't want the experience of carrying washing kits and soap to a water source to be too easy, now do we?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Summary:
Fix water volume in natural water bodies

Purpose of change:
Fixes issue where players could reliably get/use water

Describe the solution:
Eliminated infinite water, limited naturally occurring water to 5 units per tile

Kevingarande commented on Jul 10:
This is not an ideal fix as it may provide a player with an in-game way to cross small bodies of water which was never intended. Due to engine limitations this is an acceptable short term solution to players' ability to use water. Consider making water poisonous until it is treated with lab reward chemicals.

For Christ sake stop giving them templates you fuckkk

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Every turn you have a 10% chance of developing a random (incurable) cancer due to both the background radiation and also if you eat anything except a perfectly balanced Mediterranenan diet.

Purpose of change:
Because I despise the player base and want them to suffer like I do

Kevingranade commented:
Sounds great, but needs to be minimum of 50% (balance reasons)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Simplify the eating and drinking system. It currently is a stupid “realism” kludge where if I eat a whole kg of spaghetti bolognaise, I actually have to wait like half an hour before my hunger goes from famished to full. It only vaguely makes sense form a realism perspective (don’t know about anyone else but if I pig out on a big meal, I’m usually stuffed before I’m done, not after I’ve eaten the second kg worth of food) but in game it’s dumb and stupid and makes it very difficult to gauge how much food you require when paradoxically, its be easier in real life to know when I’m stuffed and can’t eat anymore.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I just finished my Computer Science 2 class, which was like pointers and stuff in C++ I think I have enough programming knowledge to take on a project, SO, could people make a big list of changes they'd like to see to Cataclysm? And I'll see if I can implement them in a fork or mod or something. I think programmers need like a portfolio to get a real computer toucher job, and to be honest I need to be practicing my programming.

I mean this with all sincerity as someone who has gone down this path before: either commit to a long term uphill sisyphus struggle, or decide on a specific, concrete, achievable goal that you can work on using the latest stable and do that. Trying to upkeep a branch chasing the master is a fools errand and a guaranteed path to wanting to die.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

I made some haggis.

I ate a single serving and immediately became overweight.

Welcome to Scotland :scotland:

But seriously haggis is great meal to make in CDDA until the realism obsessed devs implement heart disease as a mechanic.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm not really bothered by having a win condition too much, I usually play with win conditions turned off in sandbox games anyway as I just like chilling and enjoying the game experience without a definitive goal, but I think I'd like more possible goals and ways to test the player that don't amount to annoying busywork. The ability to travel through a portal and face outrageous monstrosities to "cleanse" an area and make it easier to loot, NPC bandits that spread or spawn raids and the like.

Basically stuff that lets the player continue to test themselves against increasingly overwhelming threats or just do fun, role playing poo poo.

Unfortunately, nerfed as they often are, the sort of stuff you can end up walking away with from labs or military bases usually make you a God and it's hard to keep putting in place more and more threats without either condemning the player to never being able to beat it or having to constantly up the player power, Dragonball Z style until you're Goku or Fist of the North Star.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Given how absolutely easy it is to whip up death lasers or mow everything down with .50. I like to imagine Cataclysm takes place right before the military rolls in and cleans up everything.

Only after you die horribly of course.

New feature: after the "Do you want watch your death?", it spawns like a platoon of armed to the teeth Marines who easily slaughter whatever it was you were killed by. Then the post-death message is, instead of "you were among the lost billions" is instead "You were literally the very last person to die before the military swept in and restored order. Lol."

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've liked playing the most recent experimental versions. There's a lot of things that make the gameplay more complicated, but there's also new things like functioning helicopters, a cool new hospital layout, and also significant expansions of both Aftershock and Magiclysm mods, both of which I like. For instance, there's now specialized augmentation clinics in Aftershock and a new shop type in Magiclysm that offers oodles of magic goodies.

Wait, what? You can build/find and fly helicopters now?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Insert “they fly now!?” meme

I’m now super curious how that looks given that being even 1 z level makes everything below you into a vague mishmash of colours. It’d probably be quite disorienting, unless they changed the Z level rendering.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jarf posted:

What's the best power source for a vehicle? Plutonium mini-reactor?

I have a big ol' death wagon with four automated laser turrets. It has a large electric motor and a huge diesel engine with a generator attached to it but when under attack this thing can guzzle diesel like nobodies business.

You can also plaster every spare roof space with solar panels, been a while since I last played but they can refill a battery fairly quickly in daytime even in poor weather. They won’t power the turrets by themselves but they can ensure you don’t need to idle the engine to recharge quite as much.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What's good mid to late game armor to shoot for? All survivor gear?

Definitely, although if you are planning on going up against something bad, a suit of armour never hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

I'm trying to get some mirrors set up so I can see to the sides and hopefully behind this APC I'm currently upgrading into a deathmobile. The highlighted square is where the driver's seat is, and the blue lowercase Os are wing mirrors. The three tiles above the driver's seat are windshields, and the four tiles on the very front of the APC are quarterpanels; everything else is a board.

The mirror to the left works, and while driving I can see to the left and behind the vehicle. The mirror on the top right side, however, does not work, even though I can see it while sitting in the driver's seat. Does anyone know why?

I was hoping that maybe I'd be able to view a mirror from another mirror and maybe get vision from behind the APC as well with the bottom right mirror, but I can't see the top one in the first place.

Edit: While I'm at it, what should I put on the front to best enhance the damage from collisions and protect the vehicle from damage? I've heard that rollers from, well, steamrollers do a ton of damage. I've found several steamrollers, but I don't have a tool with a high enough jacking quality to remove them, so those are a bit out of reach.

I’m not sure why the right mirror isn’t working but security cameras are a good way to see to the vehicles rear, although they can be faffy to locate and install without the correct electrical skill.

For the front, rollers are excellent if you can find them, but otherwise, spikes do just fine. They protect the front of the vehicle from collision damage, iirc unless you are absolutely booking it and collide with a wall or something.

Edit:I’m also not sure if mirror to mirror relays work, I’ve never tried it.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 10, 2020