Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Junkfist posted:

This might be a really weird question but does temperature affect the rate at which perishables become rotten?

Like if I store a bunch of meat a few Z levels deep in a Science Lab would they keep?

No, but we should probably request that, because it's an example of the good kind of realism - namely, realism that doesn't add bullshit difficulty to the game for no reason. It makes sense for food items to take longer to rot the colder it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is making ridiculous awesome apocalypse-tanks still as easy as it used to be? I remember that being one of the main draws of this game back when I played it. Seem to recall someone making a heavily-armored monstrosity that was covered in spikes and had a top speed of like 280 MPH.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

i think its really really entertaining how they sometimes talk about this game and realism in the same sentence over on the cdda forums

It's basically a Mallninja Fantasy Simulator, of course you're going to have people talking about how 'realistic' is. Believing that there is a scenario in which it might actually be plausible and realistic for the pasty-faced nerd who goes outside once every couple of weeks to turn into THE ULTIMATE BADASS with MIRROR SHADES AND A BLACK TRENCHCOAT and ~GENUINE HANZO STEEL~ after civilization collapses is a pretty major part of the escapist fantasy; it loses a lot of its luster if you come out and admit how completely loving goofy it is.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

Oh okay, no special trick apart from just emptying your inventory with "," then just moving several stacks? Too bad there is no way to just empty it into a chosen square.

And the mp3 player is now boring and doesn't give you little text updates. ("you rock out to a guitar solo" etc...)

The MP3 text updates were awesome, though. :( Silly, yeah, but the entire game is silly, and it was totally badass to lop off a zombie's head with a machete while listening to a face-melting guitar solo. :black101:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dotcom656 posted:

Setting fires inside buildings in order to kill masses of zombies will always be amazing.

Houses that have been turned into giant wasp hives burn real good, always fun. I really like the way this game handles fire and destructible terrain in general. Luring a crowd of zombies into a building, torching the place as you run through, and jumping out a window as the place goes up in flames behind you is crazy awesome. There's also the tried-and-true 'gas station bomb', which is more often a gas station suicide bomb.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone ever attempted to set up asynchronous multiplayer servers for this game since it became DDA? I know it's possible, and there were a couple of Cataclysm multiplayer servers up back when Whales was still the dev.

Basically the way it worked was that you could never encounter other players while they were alive, but whenever they died, their corpse and any changes they had made to the game world were saved and synced to the server, so anyone else starting a new game after that would run into them. I honestly don't remember how it was set up (it's been a couple years), but I do remember it not being very hard; I did it myself on an old Linux machine I had lying around so me and a bunch of my friends could all play in the same world over LAN. I used to go on those servers and craft shitloads of grenades and just leave them around for people to find, I was the grenade fairy.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

silentsnack posted:

In general, the project could be forked just to develop a fun accessible game and let the spergs keep their monument to failure masterpiece of ~vision~ with tetanus and granades and corpse-mutilation.

Trading a savefile back and forth is easy, just a matter of setting up a system. Trying to merge the DB would be tricky at best, but with heavy modification it could almost be run in realtime as a MUD with one server that does all the simulation and players just connect by terminal. At that point it's probably much easier/better to start from scratch.

The old multiplayer setup actually did run the game on a single server and all the players connected through TTY, so it's actually possible for multiple people to connect and play one copy of the game simultaneously already (or at least it was when it was still under Whales). It's just that you could never actually encounter other living players because the game wasn't realtime (if you died or save-exited, the map would update again whenever you started a new game or reloaded, and any changes other players had made in the intervening time would then be applied).

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Holy poo poo, this game is still getting worked on? Back when I first played it, it was still a one-man show and it didn't run natively under Windows (the Windows install package was actually a virtual machine running TinyCore Linux). Haven't touched it in a long time, ought to get back into it.

The early versions used to have this cool asynchronous-multiplayer thing where multiple people could telnet in to play on the same copy of the game simultaneously, and every time a character died the changes they made to the world were applied to all future games played on that copy, does that still work?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A wandering NPC shot me in the chest a few times, caused me to collapse from pain, then went through my pockets and stole all my empty soda cans before running off.

I managed to make my way to a farm, but the debilitating pain from the gunshot wounds left me so useless that I got mauled to death by the swarm of two dozen feral cats trapped inside the farmhouse.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I started as a Black Belt with decent strength and karate, then almost immediately found a zweihander. Would it be better for me to keep using unarmed (with the 8 melee/8 unarmed skill I started with), or use this ridiculously-damaging sword (with 8 melee but zero weapon-specific skill)?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I went with becoming a karate master, spent about four ingame days tearing rear end through a city's worth of zombies without ever being seriously wounded, cleared out almost the entire western half of the city, and set to systematically looting the whole place so I could turn a mansion on the outskirts into a doom fortress. Ran across an NPC who kept shouting that they really wanted to talk to me while following me around, and after a long time of ignoring them I finally decided to go over and see what they wanted. They immediately attempted to rob me, I told them to go gently caress themselves, they opened up on me with a UMP-45 on full auto and killed me before I even got within punching range. RIP Ultimate Karateman, the 400+ zombies you killed will stand as testament to your badassery.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Karate master is a really interesting play style, incidentally. You want to keep your encumbrance as close to zero as possible, so that means minimal storage space and minimal armor, and you're never going to need a weapon except an emergency ranged option of some kind. Start with the Black Belt profession and decent Strength and Dex, go with a style that gives you plenty of blocks and/or good mobility, and you're basically immune to zombies unless they're just completely swarming you (the most I was able to take on simultaneously and walk away from unscathed was 8). That gives you effectively unlimited freedom of movement in cities, even with static spawn on, and since you won't be looting much, it encourages a much more nomadic style of play. I didn't even have a home base, I just wandered around the city karate-chopping zombies and eating all the perishable foods, marking large stocks of unperishables for later and crashing in the nearest house when I started to get tired.

e: I started a new game, spent the first day getting my shelter pretty well stocked with poo poo looted from a nearby town, and the next night while I slept a loving wandering NPC smashed one of the windows and stole a bunch of my poo poo. Heavy Sleeper is bad, and also murder all NPCs.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 27, 2016

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A zombie child spawned inside a gun store, and it isn't strong enough to bash through the window bars, so it just keeps hitting them over and over, setting off the alarm every single time it does.

It's actually pretty handy, it's drawn every single zombie in town to a building I wouldn't be able to loot anyway.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Found a fully-loaded M60 and an extra ammo belt for it in a dead scientist group.

Guns in this game are kind of terrible, and I have zero firearms skill on this character, but the M60 is loving great if you just use it like a melee weapon. Close to point-blank range and press the barrel into their forehead, fire a single shot, it'll kill drat near anything short of a hulk. Anything that doesn't die to one shot will definitely die to a spray of autofire.

Technically you could do this with any gun, but each M60 belt is 100 rounds, which is enough to clear out every zombie in a mid-sized town without ever having to pause to reload. I know this because that's exactly what I did.

This was supposed to be a karate master run, I went with the black belt profession, but when I saw the machine gun and ammo I just had to. Now there's a guy in a karate gi and a black belt, running around the post-apocalyptic ruins with an M60 and an ammo belt slung across his chest, like some sort of kung fu Rambo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Cataclysm pisses me off because I feel like it got so drat close to greatness and then people have spent years gradually walking it back.

This was the game about doing a line of coke and then decapitating fifty zombies with a machete while listening to face-melting guitar solos, or kung-fu-fighting your way through a horde of triffids in a plant-matter-soaked karate gi, or driving through houses in a war rig you built by welding the detritus from a dozen cars together into a giant steel Frankenstein's-monster - and all of that stuff is still there, but it's slowly, surely being smothered by a tedious, poorly implemented 'hardcore survival simulation' that seems to add little to the game in terms of enjoyment (indeed, it seems to be designed with the express goal of making the game less fun).

I don't even dislike groggy survival sims, I play the gently caress out of some Unreal World, but they have to be good. This isn't, and to add insult to injury, it's getting into the way of the already-pretty-drat-fun game they're building it on top of.