Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

How exactly does addiction work? I'm pretty sure either the formula listed on the wiki page for addiction is wrong or the listed amount of addiction the chain smoker starts with is wrong, since the nicotine cravings have lasted into the night of the first day when a level 20 addiction should clear up and stop giving symptoms after only 5 hours and 20 minutes (listed addiction you start with as a chain smoker is only 10 by comparison and I'm still in nicotine withdrawal after 12 hours and 30 minutes [no, I'm sure I didn't smoke any cigarettes in that time]). It also doesn't say how the game deals with odd levels of addiction like 25 - once 2500 turns pass, does the game round 12.5 up to 13 before subtracting 1 for a result of 12 or round down to 12 before subtracting 1 for a result of 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I have discovered something hilarious. Apparently if you are 6 tiles or more away from a child zombie when you deal the killing blow, you convince yourself it's just a midget and you don't feel guilty for killing it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

nftyw posted:

In 0.5 vehicles are littered all over city blocks. Most of these are broken somehow, you can either salvage tires from a busted car and replace the ones on cars that have flats, or just replace the engine if your mechanics skill is high enough. Read a mechanics book if you can to get up to level 3, then look for hardware stores for wrenches, hacksaws and welders to pull cards apart with. Or, just hope you can find a car in a parking lot / garage / underground parking lot beneath an office tower. Sometimes fuel-less cars are out on the highways, far from town, or some wrecks are near gas stations in remote areas.

Also don't forget to fill something with gas, early on you can use a bottle but later filling a whole jerrycan and using that to refuel as needed is more efficient (e to interact with car, move over to the gas tank, then refill)

You also need a jack and rubber hose for changing tires and filling containers with gas from vehicles respectively. Jacks will be in garages with the other mentioned mechanical items but rubber hoses are probably limited to gas stations. Also the easiest way to check for whether a vehicle is useful or not is to (e)xamine it - a box will pop up with diagnostics, and if the vehicle doesn't say "wheels: lack" or "safe speed: 0 mph" you'll know you can drive it once you put more fuel in.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

You can get rubber hoses by smashing any refrigerator.

I had no idea, thanks! Now I can actually use working cars without hoofing it to a gas station.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well that's just lovely:

Was dissembling a steel frame to add some hardened plating to my pimped out semi truck and apparently my dude just worked himself to death. It's not like I didn't have water on me and two jerrycans full of water in the truck.

You might want to timg that, just saying.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Strumpie posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for inspecting items. When trying to inspect things with 'V' or 'e' you can't get the full description, you'd have to pick them up first.
The wiki suggests 'I' for compare can be used on non inventory items but I can't figure it out.

Use 'V' and then press 'e' when you've selected the item you're interested in with the arrow keys. Also, you can use '/' and press 'e' on an item you're next to after selecting the square it's in. You're right that 'e'xamining an item from the basic menu won't let you see the whole description though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Unbound posted:

First, Police Stations. I've found a couple in my travels now, and they seem to be pretty universal in size and room layout. But there are two metal doors that I can't get to open. I figured 's'lamming them won't work, and every time I try to use the computer, manhacks fall from the ceiling. My most recent character actually managed to kill all four of them that dropped in, but then the computer just stopped working. Do I have to get my Computer Skill up pretty high, or is it possible to 's'lam those doors down?

Second, I found a subway a few characters back, and I didn't explore it. I only had an Uzi and maybe a magazine worth of ammo for it. I ended up resetting the world that it was in because I kept getting rocked by zombies in the town. Should I have/start exploring subways that early in the game, or were my suspicions about certain death in there correct?

Third, I can't figure this whole driving thing out. It seems most cars/trucks that I find have all the needed parts and fuel to run, but they don't. Then other times, they do. I 'e'xamine the vehicles first to make sure they have everything, but it still seems like a 90% chance that it just won't run. Am I completely missing something, or are those just the odds of a working vehicle?

Locked doors in the police stations can't be smashed, but you can smash through the nearby walls with a car or truck assuming you have a spare or have the plating required to smash walls without breaking your vehicle. Failing that, shoot a grenade at the nearby wall and make a new door that way.

I haven't explored subways myself, but I'd assume they're not great to explore due to the area being so completely enclosed and probably not having much in the way of items worth grabbing versus a lab or ordinary gun store. It's likely better to just learn how to melee and dodge really well so that you can survive most zombie scraps with melee and arrows/rocks before trying too hard to look through one, if at all.

Vehicles that spawn in towns have a pretty low chance of being driveable right away. That said, vehicles only missing one or two critical components are fairly common, and even the wrecks that are too broken to be proper cars have small amounts of gas in them, so with a welder, welding goggles, and enough mechanics skill + a rubber hose and spare bottles, you can turn a third to half of the vehicles in town driveable by cannibalizing the others for spare engines, wheels, or controls.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bilal posted:

Anytime I smash a refrigerator and examine it, I get a "If only you had a shovel..." message. Even if I do use a shovel to clear it the rubble, it never contains a rubber hose.

Have you tried 'e'xamining the tile? There ought to be a rubber hose at the very bottom of the pile of steel in the tile.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

IVAN's stupidly difficult but it got how to take advantage of tiles. Liquids go everywhere and you just can't do that without something being visually obscured in ASCII (as mentioned), so while I don't hate ASCII I really love it when roguelikes go tiled. Helps too that good tiles are just more visually pleasing and can convey extra information about the enemies you're facing faster than simple letters (like how in Crawl you can actually see what other dudes are wearing so you know right away how serious a threat they pose in melee).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The King of Swag posted:

This is the first time I've realized that Kickstarter has comments, so I've been reading through the ones left on the Cataclysm kickstarter, and it looks like the entire thing is crashing and burning in a spectacular way. There's something (including an update from Kevin Granade) about the head developer (that this kickstarter was to fund) leaving; there's another guy named Driver Man in the comments whom is super pissed off, claiming that he and some guy named utunnels put in a pull request for functioning Z-levels and tiles a month ago. He claims that they simply haven't been merged into the main trunk yet, so he's declaring fraud--or at the very least picking goals in the kickstarter that have already been met, so that they can't fail.

Whether the guy is lying or not, it appears that he's stirring up a hornets nest among investors, and the possibility of the head developer dropping out (and needing one of the other guys to step up but for a shorter amount of time) is spraying that nest with kerosene.

I totally agree that the apparent loss of one of the coders looks pretty bad and even worse with this Driver Man character fanning the flames, but I suspect Driver Man might be someone who has a grudge against Cataclysm for reasons besides the ones being stated. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened, though there's no proof of this and it wouldn't excuse the way poo poo is kinda falling apart at the moment.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Some addenda:

* I believe drugs do have volume going by a few other items in the category, it's just tiny (100 vitamins takes up 1 point of volume for instance). Assuming you get high a lot, though, this distinction will be academic outside raiding a hospital.

* Cauterizing wounds is painful! First aid and disinfectant are much better ways to deal with deep bites - only cauterize if you can't get anything better and aren't in immediate danger. Just apply either of those and you should see an option to use them on the bite wound at the bottom of the choice list.

* To expand on why cauterizing wounds should be a last resort, pain is extremely bad as it makes you slower and lowers your stats - painkillers will help, but they'll also slow you down if you're high enough on them, and you can get addicted to them with all the nasty lingering withdrawal symptoms you might expect if you take too many.

* Also be sure to check whether the clothes fit or not before turning them into rags - makes for less work in my opinion and a fitting pair of cargo pants is pretty handy early in.

* Of note is that you can use your pocket knife to cut apart items made of plastic and kevlar so that you can repair and reinforce things like rain coats or kevlar vests. May only be possible in the latest nightly.

* I don't know if butchering chance is affected by cutting weapons knowledge at all, but I don't think I've failed at proper butchering since getting survival 4. I do, however, know that butchering zombie corpses is an easy and very helpful way to raise survival and prevent the undead from rising, as well as that you can butcher shocker zombies for a chance at harvesting CBMs (which you won't be able to use as a novice but which can potentially be great once you have more skill under your belt). Also of note is that certain items increase the chance of successful butchering, such as notably the katana (not sure about the butcher knife, but it can't be worse than the pocket knife).

* If you can't find a sewing kit anywhere, you can make a bone needle once you have survival 3 out of bones from butchered animals. It takes thread the same as a sewing kit, though odds are good you'll find plenty of sewing kits in houses anyway. e: One extremely good reason to make a bone needle is that they are weightless and volumeless even while fully loaded with thread - sewing kits take up 2 units of volume each by comparison. Dunno how many fully loaded bone needles you can carry without any weight/volume impaction, but they are more efficient than even unloaded thread which costs one point of volume and weight per 100 units vs. 200 for nothing on one bone needle.

* Tiredness has no effects until you are Dead Tired (at which point you get a chance of falling asleep at any moment). If you can't sleep your first night, don't stress - read a book by the light of the working console in the evac shelter instead, or by the light of an active lightstrip if you've found spare flashlights (just disassemble one and you should have the materials needed to craft a lightstrip). If you're playing static or have cleared a dynamic town, you can also spend nights breaking down useless cars out of harm's way as well with a wrench and hacksaw (but don't forget to siphon out their gas with a rubber hose from a smashed refridgerator and an empty bottle first as it goes to waste otherwise).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 1, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

PiCroft posted:

A quick question: assuming I was able to get, say, an electrical system working, so you could generate, transmit and utilize electricity, what kind of applications would you like to see?

I can think of a few, such as light sources, charging powered items/UPS, powering certain things like fridges and so on but is there anything anyone would like to see from such a system?

Security cameras! Being able to see outside your base before you head out could prove handy and maybe if you get a town's electrical system working you could scout areas you hadn't been to yet by cycling through traffic cameras or even just store security stuff or something.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

If you don't want to do either of those, there's also slings and slingshots! ...which are also overpowered and can be done from scratch unlike archery.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You might be able to drill your way to a shelter basement or subway/sewer system. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

e: above largely has the point for goonCata as I understand it - the ranged rebalance hasn't been pulled in for that aside from the new archery recipes so all you have to do to make archery super awesome there is craft a lot of wood shafts - there's plenty of wood to craft with in the shelter to even just get archery 3 for a longbow, which works out swell with small game arrows until you can craft metal arrows and the reflex bow.

If you're playing regular Cata and not goonCata then yeah, it's basically part of a rebalance that was not paired with the part that would keep archery something that actually made sense to build for. Dispersion did nothing and now it's incredibly meaningful, which along with some hasty stat rebalancing that made base stats give ranged penalties nerfed archery into the ground. No idea how long until that dropped ball is picked up.

In the meantime, you should build in four points of dodge skill at the very least along with high strength and dexterity, then either craft a knife spear or a crowbar and lead zombies over bushes so you don't get the poo poo beat out of you right away. Try to pick up a decent number of rocks so you can train throwing on the zombies while you wait for them to walk over bushes and then maybe you'll have a way to soften up targets before you kill them with your real weapon. Don't even try to fight wolf spiders until after you can beat down a zombie in one hit while wearing two backpacks, though - between their damage and poison, two in quick succession will easily kill you if you can't dodge or hit them hard enough to bypass their armor. Zombie dogs are also really nasty - engage around tough terrain to slow them if possible, take advantage of their tendency to run away for a short bit after biting you once or twice to get near tough terrain to slow them down or pelt them with rocks if you're already in a good spot, then either prep to kill the rest of the crowd or hopefully apply some form of healing and painkillers. Don't be surprised if you can't advance much before your melee skill is better - torso penalties are a killer before you get better at whacking things. There are things you can do though; putting stuff you find in a house or store at the doorway and making notes on the map as to any notable loot that's not immediately handy helps with making sure you don't forget to go back for copper wire or whatever once you clear a section of town and keeps you light so you can drop your packs and fight as needed rather than have to drop twenty items so you aren't stuck with huge volume penalties.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 21, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'd love to see trains and train tracks be a thing. Maybe you can't make one yourself or lay down a whole new line's worth of track, but you could repair one and splatter zombies at 200 mph or mount cannons on it and blow the hell out of the countryside wherever it does go. Then again, this might be better if the world zooms out more from just part of one state (which I would be cool with too - cross country journey seems appropriate for endgame survivors as a goal).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I would guess the game cares because it handles all the items you could eat theoretically with either of those things for the menu you would otherwise pick your batteries or boxes from and flips its lid when it encounters an item that doesn't have a material in materials.json. Might even be that it has to do that for all items carried whether they actually could be eaten with your bionics or not and checks against what you're carrying afterwards if it's particularly badly done. Only diving in the relevant code would unravel that mystery. :shrug:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Nastyman posted:

Huh. Even better, I suppose. By the way, is it possible to play this in full screen mode at all? The tiny, tiny game window is really hard on the eyes after a while.

Fullscreen not so much but you can enlarge the window in the options menu. I find 70-80 width and 30 height to be pretty good for my 1920x1080 monitor.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Health is a real (invisible) thing and is impacted by bad eating/drinking/drug habits - it affects how likely you are to catch a cold or the flu, and both are nasty multi-day affairs that will hurt your stats a fair bit. However, a gas mask or a couple filter masks will about completely neuter bad health effects since ambient diseases still have to be breathed in. You can also eat vitamins to raise your health, but trying to manage it isn't worth the hassle when you can just cheese it. I think candy and potato chips probably only give -1 health at worst anyway, and health does swing to 0 over time.

e: It should be mentioned that the gas/filter masks are purely preventative, they'll do no good if you're already sick. Same for the vitamins, sadly (no immune system simulation here).

As mentioned, ordinary water won't cut it for safe and penalty-less drinking, only clean water works. Containers will not let you mix the two (or any other differing-in-kind liquid for that matter), so do take some care when crafting liquids that you always have a spare or matching container in mind beforehand, else you could find yourself forced to waste some of it.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 15, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

New feature I love to pieces: Being able to see the statistics of craftable items. No more wondering about whether a knife spear or a 2-by-sword is a more effective weapon!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I've never seen that before. How the hell did I miss it? :psyduck:

e: content - metal arrow shafts now take 3 fabrication and 1 archery. Granted, you can no longer craftspam your way to high skill in combat skills, but you might still be able to craftspam your way to better craftable items. :haw:

e2: Having played longer, I think ultimately starting out with Krav Maga is a better choice than trying to hack it out with archery - I'm pretty sure you need to invest at least three points into archery for it to be anywhere near a viable start and even then you'll be hurting while you train up, but Krav Maga is useful with a single point in melee and maybe a point of dodge for safety straight off the bat. Archery definitely gets more powerful later, but for early survival Krav Maga is looking like the trick to play for.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 16, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Archery is also pretty good and recoilless as long as you put enough effort into it - heavy wood arrows require 5 fabrication and archery, but they have a dispersion of 4 and only weigh about half a pound more than ordinary wooden arrows. They're only a couple points lower than metal arrows in damage/range/etc. so bang-to-buck ratio is very nice. Plus you can craft them without having to find any special tools.

e: the curious should know that I have come around on this due to finding hardcore and archery go together quite nicely - high risk, but the reward is being able to raid towns with nigh impunity as long as you always remember you are less than 30 points of damage away from death at all times.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 22, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

You can go where 'things' are found, but you have no control over which 'thing' in particular you find. There's no way to aim for, say, the "expanded digestive system" bionic in particular. You can only track down and kill shockers/delve into labs/open up bunkers, and hope and pray that the RNG gives you what you're looking for.

I think the development is slowly getting around to fixing this, just look at the metalworking/smithy recipes. You may not still not be able to avoid going to the outskirts of a city for stuff but you do NOT have to actually locate a welder anymore if you want to fool with cars - you can instead make a makeshift welder to enable the crafting of a forge/anvil/etc. and make your own welder or screwdriver or whatever else is missing from your collection of things. I personally prefer that style of clawing your way up when Lady Luck just isn't doing anything for you.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 23, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

Having even a single broken limb in the game is a huge handicap and basically a death sentence if your not a bad enough dude to fight your way through a hospital.

Not quite! A Big Book of First Aid, enough resources to let you read up however much you need to for level 2, and sleep while wearing your newly made splint is all you need now. Also a level in survival but that's not too hard to do if you're able to score the book.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It also has a 25% chance of instantly killing insects (because haha Kevin kills bugs). So, yeah, not designed to be used the same way in the slightest.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not to be stupid, but you are wearing them, right? If so that's strange, I have to wonder why/how they got broken since I recall being able to regenerate my legs with them in an earlier version.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The only other thing that comes to mind is that I did have to sleep with them on, but you probably did that too. Weird, I distinctly remember not having a problem with that. I'm not sure the version they worked at was past .8 though, might have been late experimental .7.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Junkfist posted:

I end up with gigantic piles of things like batteries or paper that forces me to "wield" then as to not go in my inventory, and I can't drop partial stacks of things I'm holding.

When you're in the drop menu you can type a number before the letter of the item you want to drop for partial stack drop. But / is pretty convenient too.

e: realized you said things you were wielding, not things in general. Guess I should test that...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Well...

Strange, I have my viewport set to 70/30 and it's definitely bigger than the 12/12 setting.
I think the default sets have updates in the works, but I'll defer to others who've played with them more cause I just rolled with the missing tiles.
Yes, you can wear two backpacks and carry twice the volume. After that you're just carrying backpack insurance.

e: ah, forgot about having to restart first for the screen size changes to take effect. Bigger backpacks are better in general, but if you haven't got any and don't need to melee, a second will do.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 26, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

If you don't have the memory of a goldfish, you can flick a flashlight on and then off to keep from spending any of the batteries. It's a bit cheaty but can be a little handy sometimes.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Oh ok, thanks. Also I thought archery was supposed to be good but at 3 archery with a longbow and field point arrows it takes like 3-4 shots to kill a standard zombie, it's awful. It also trains at less than 1% skill per shot which seems to be unaffected by if I'm shooting at anything. When does it get good?

At archery 5 you can make heavy wooden arrows which will do way more damage and hopefully will tide you over until 7 when you can craft a reflex recurve.

Alternatively you could make use of an exploit to turn wooden crossbow bolts into steel bolts and just make a crossbow if you have traps 3. It still uses archery to fire so you can upgrade your damage without as much of a wait - what you do is make crossbow traps with wooden bolts, and when you disarm them you get steel bolts.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

^^^ - argh, too many ways to interact with items for my poor dumb brain

nftyw posted:

It gets good when you throw those crappy bows away and tinker together a repeating crossbow :getin:

Repeating crossbow and steel bolts really seems like the way to go, yeah.

Shame the Ganz-Rustung isn't as cool, you'd think a drat ballista would have something more going for it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

That suggestion for chairs conferring some benefit over standing up makes me think of two things for possible improvement, since King of Swag asked for ideas:

1. Small morale boosts for using chairs and beds, at the expense of not moving obviously. Make it possible to relax in a chair which lasts and rests you maybe at most a quarter as long and well as a bed unless it is extraordinarily comfy, and obviously read while seated in a chair. A well-rested character learns better than a poorly-rested one and a sitter can concentrate longer on a tough read or get more fun faster out of a good one.

2. More chairs! More beds! You can sit on that all wood chair but it won't be much better than standing up, try looking in the furniture store instead for that Lay-Z Boy which will be much comfier.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 4, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Give us the ability to make rugs out of (zom)bears.

Trophy rooms and the ability to make and preserve trophies from killed monsters. Loads of morale while admiring your collection of heads.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Maybe we should resurrect GDA for this.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I would totally dig being able to make an upgradeable robot buddy ala Xenocide.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Other than adding King of Swag's changes? Maybe work on getting electricity mechanics in, or those changes to how character setup works that Toplowtech mentioned as a neat alternative to the current setup situation.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Sure, I'll throw money at you! I threw my money away on the DDA kickstarter so why not a better coded and more expansive take on the idea?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

So cars are like basically useless now? Used to be you could find maybe 1 in 5 cars that was useable right off the bat if you just put gas in it (which is easy to do). Now I've played for hours and I can't find a single car that has all the necessary parts except for one time I found one, put gas in it, and the engine refused to start! What the gently caress? Why not just remove cars altogether? They weren't even that overpowered they attracted tons of attention.

Cars now sometimes are running when you're in their time-bubble, this runs down the battery and eventually will kill it if the vehicle doesn't run out of gas first. Why yes this IS a classic example of throwing away fun in exchange for realism, doesn't everyone get boners being forced to make cars completely from scratch if they get too preoccupied with the walking dead to go turn off any cars they want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Richey posted:

I just picked this up again, and on my first run I found a NPC who had a Diamond Machete and some other rare poo poo. I then went and found a "Grenade" only instead of exploding it yells "Merged" then thousands of bees spewed out of it. I had to abandon the character because his pain was in the 2000s.

That sounds like a "Granade" which is actually a reference to Kevin Granade (who is the main developer anymore and who merges changes from contributors). Not that this will make things any better in your case.