Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Computing 301 or whatever?

Yeah reading it made my guy borderline suicidal I think lmao

301 is where they introduce proofs of how big-O a bunch of algorithms are so...IRL accurate.

E: Good news, your character knows the difference between NFAs and DFAs and can tell you exactly what a red black tree is. Bad news, your character now has alcohol addiction [100].

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Things have been going pretty good so far. Don't have a ton of gear, but I found a working electric semi and a decent ruined cabin to camp in. The city is far away and on the other side of a river, I think I'm going to take a bit to salvage what I can nearby and practice some skills.

Got a what I think is some kind of spider pit nearby - no spiders on the surface yet, but I there's a hole down a z level full of webs. I might try to clear it out before I leave. Maybe with fire.

:ghanian pallbearer gif:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Being serious for a moment:

SIG552 sounds like a good idea except you can’t cram it into an XL holster and an M4A1+silencer will fit in a survivor harness.

(Real) Arc welders exist in city garages and rarely in the rural 3-tile gas station+garage. The radio shack type electronics stores (the ones that don’t have bars on the windows) have a shitload of medium batteries inside food processors and dehydrators.

E: Makeshift arc welder will work if you find/attach a recharge station to a vehicle and have at least 2 medium batteries and a way to recharge the vehicle. If you have the materials/skills, a vehicle welding rig will cut down on real world RSI from reloading your arc welder.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bingo, the M4A1 and M17 aren’t the best guns in the game but they’re good enough and you don’t have to worry where you’re getting your next 5.56/9x19 from so you will actually use them.

Counterpoint is the miltech caseless rounds: sure I’m going to keep these around for a big bad. *sees a skeletal juggernaut* *fixes problem with a shitload of 5.56*

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The correct answer at all times is to run back to your armored and armed DeathMobile and touch the “holy poo poo kill everything” button.

That button is hilarious but gated behind electronics 5, computer 5, and mechanics 3:
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/turret_controls/craft

E: I did a gimmick/not really? build with 1x M2 surrounded by 4x M249s. Not optimal but loving lol when I had to run back to the car being followed by a shitload of brutes, a couple shockers, and a skeletal juggernaut.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Turret pro tip: they don’t have night vision. If you have a source of light that you can throw, step back around a corner to activate it, then throw it so the turret is lit but you aren’t. If you can’t do that, shift-X around the corner, memorize where it is, and run a couple tiles back before you send an aimed burst at the tile it’s on. All tips assume you are in a very dark tile.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

/\ truth

Hardware stores exist for farming stuff. They won’t have anything more useful than a nail gun*.

Look for garages, they will have multiple welding goggles, a shitload of acetylene plus torches, and probably a real arc welder.

*Nail gun is a great way to train up handgun skill. Shoot the ammo at a target all day, there’s more where that came from.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If you find a ranch, just murder everyone there and burn it down. They will pretend to be friends at first but then ask you for dumb things.

Imperator goatsestretchgoals, we need 500 nails.

*burns nearest building down*

Now we need 20 blankets.

Fucker could you have told me that before I burnt down the apartment tower?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

And I just realized there's a roadblock with at least a riot turret in the way. I don't know if I can drive a semi through a roadblock or not, I might have to take it across the fields and hope for the best.

If it’s an actual riot turret, it has 6x 40mm beanbag rounds. They will bounce harmlessly off your windshield or you could just facetank them on foot. If it’s a pair of M249 CROWS, don’t try it without reinforced windshields but each one of them has 1500+ rounds of sweet sweet 5.56 so you _want_ to ram/shoot them.

E: Turrets outside of buildings are opportunities, not problems.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Outside, a fully enclosed vehicle with a turret. Inside (or without a deathmobile outside), use the fact they can’t see in the dark. An M4A1 will drop any CROWS turret in a single burst...if you hit it, and if it doesn’t hit you first.

If you let an M249 turret hit you, you are at best spending 2-3 days licking your wounds, and at worst looking at a new character. An M240 or M2 turret will straight kill you unless you get very lucky.

E: And even if you get to shoot at one that can’t see you (light amp goggles, lab lighting, etc), be 100% sure that you will hit it on your first burst. They are smart enough to shoot back at you even if they can’t see you.

A CROWS turret can make your run (hundreds of rounds of ammo and links, a chance to get the MG that fires that ammo) but it’s one of the few things in the game that can also end your run in a single turn.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 29, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah that’s what I meant by if you’re lucky. If you take all 4 5.56 rounds to the head, run is over. All 4 in the torso with an ESAPI? Run...maybe over? 2 in the same limb? Enjoy your splint, run may as well be over.

E: /\ I did not know about the 4 tile night vision thing, thanks!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: Always ram migos, yell “welcome to earth” as you do it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Armor plating is just extra HP.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Welcome to mid game AKA what loot do I drop?

People upthread were asking about which tools you install in your deathmobile and the correct answer is an autoclave and as many freezers as you need. Welders, forges, etc take up a tile that could be used for 250L of storage.

People playing this game who don’t optimize ANGER ME.

:downs:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That used to be mainline. Quantum storage?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If your mid game isn’t harvesting storage batteries then

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Looking forward to it, bags being bags and not abstract volume holders is one of the best things about Project Zomboid.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FR: Cop bots appear every time you remove your pants.

Hotfix: Define inside/outside re cop bots.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

A full set of survivor fire gear is 100% coverage and has great environmental protection but it will it keep radiation out?

Nope. Anti radiation gear has one of two specific tags (RAD_PROOF and RAD_RESIST) that will show up in the description text under the item stats.

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/flags/RAD_PROOF

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/flags/RAD_RESIST

E: Power armor is radiation proof too but I think it’s hard coded because I don’t see a tag for it.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 6, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

I'm doing base building - if I want to use things like a vehicle mini-fridge and RV Kitchen unit, does it make sense to use the vehicle system to build an enclosed wheel-less "vehicle" to use a house and slap some solar panels on top?
Are there any drawbacks to that? Does it interact weirdly with NPCs?

The drawbacks I had when I was setting up a static base is that you can’t drag carts inside a vehicle and cargo carriers hold a tiny amount of loot compared to a display rack. I used to set up combo vehicle/houses by exploiting the fact you can build vehicle tiles through empty door frames.

Have some crappy ASCII art because I’m not by my computer. W is a wall, V is a vehicle tile, R is a display rack, and D is a door. The vehicle tile on the 2nd row is built over an empty door frame. It needs to be a vehicle board to enclose the house or you can get fancy and make it a windshield with a remote operated curtain. The vehicle tiles on the 3rd row are fridges, welders, whatever you don’t need to be next to to use. 4th row is a cargo carrier with a battery charger. 5th row is a seat with controls, a water faucet, etc. Everything within the walls is roofed, the vehicle tiles on the outside can have solar panels.

code:
VVVVVVVVV
VWWWVWWWV
VWVVVVVWV
VWR V RWV
VWR V RWV
VWR   RWV
VWRR RRWV
VWWWDWWWV
VVVV VVVV

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The broken record skips again: leather body armor or skip straight to a light survivor suit.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Again, there is no way that building a gun out of repurposed bits belongs in the same kind of game where you can beat up human-sized cockroaches and sew their chitin into a hella gross coat of plates.

*gross chitinous lightbulb squirts weirdly bright fluid*

E: Above post about chitin armor is probably right. poo poo is light as hell and used to be unobtainable in early game.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 7, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Keeper.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was wondering how they were going to handle containers in containers.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

The M249 uses the same ammo as the M4A1, can even use the same magazines, and seems to do slightly more damage and be faster to aim - is there any reason to take the M4A1 instead of the M249?

M4 will fit in a Survivor Harness.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You hear “Now I have a machine gun. Ho, ho, ho.”

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Anyone know their way around github well enough to find a link for 10614? It isnt an option in the launcher and it isnt listed on the releases page that I could find. Another goon was curious about trying the game but I cant imagine trying to figure it out with what sounds like a busted as hell inventory system. I guess worse case scenario I could rar my directory.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/cdda-jenkins-b10614 should be it. You can find other releases by build number at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases .

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

So why exactly are eyebots are thing?

Eyebots bring copbots. If you can trick a zombie into breaking into a house in front of an eyebot, poo poo is hilarious. If the eyebot saw you breaking into a house, it’s also hilarious but in a bad way.

E: gently caress, you’re reading this after you pissed off the eyebot. Don’t swing at the eyebot, that just pisses it off more. Your best bet is to make the zombies do crime. Lead your mini horde through some windows in front of the eye/cop bots and slip the gently caress away.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 14, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I swear by light survivor everything (except heavy survivor helmet because head encumbrance doesn’t matter). ESAPI vest on the torso. MBR (Kevlar) is another option for slightly less encumbrance but much less protection. The MBR does give you 4 rifle magazine slots and a bit of storage.

Survivor harness with an M4A1 or similar, add a pair of leg ammo pouches to hold 4x rifle mags (or 8x with the MBR option). Fast draw holster with an M17, add two ankle ammo pouches for 2x more pistol mags. Scabbard with a crude/arming sword (or whatever sword matches your martial art.)

Grenade ammo pouch for 4x grenades or a survivor runner pack for more storage. I split the difference; pouch is always worn with a runner pack in my inventory when I want to grab a couple more things and I’m not dragging a cart behind me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Undead People seems to be the thread consensus tileset, https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset/blob/master/README.md .

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/cg8m95/how_to_survive_your_first_day_in_the_cataclysm/ is a decent first day guide for “how do I play this game”.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You can also make the official goatsestretchgoals endorsed OP character of maximum asskicking (tm):

Scenario: Helicopter Crash
Profession: Bionic Soldier
Stats: 10 STR, 10 DEX, 9 INT, 9 PER

Positive traits:
Fast Learner - Faster skill gain through crafting/fighting.
Indefatigable - More stamina means more hitting/stabbing/running before you tire out.
Melee Weapon Training - I like Medieval Swordsmanship because the arming sword is arguably the best melee weapon in the game. Silat is another good choice; the makeshift/(normal)/survivor machete isn’t as good as the arming sword but they’re easier to make and aren’t shabby.
Pain Resistant - Pain tanks your stats and lowers your speed. Less pain means this doesn’t happen as fast.
Strong Back - Carry more weight before you’re overloaded. At STR 10, you will be right on the edge of overloaded with late game armor/weapons if you wear an ESAPI Ballistic Vest (which you should). There is an implant that does the same thing but who knows if/when you will find one.

Negative Traits:
Addictive Personality - You get addicted to drugs easier. Not a big deal, see Lightweight.
Fast Metabolism - You need more food but also get more stamina. This is arguably a positive trait because you’ll never run out of food and stamina is good.
Hates Books - You take a small morale (happiness/focus) hit when you read books. Get your experience from crafting instead and only read when you need to get skill X to value Y to craft item Z.
High Thirst - Water is trivial to get/boil. Free trait points.
Lightweight - Drugs gently caress you up quicker and the negatives are worse. Not a huge deal because this is an OP build and you’ll only do drugs to go to sleep when you gently caress up your schedule.
Rigid Table Manners - You take a tiny morale hit when you don’t eat at a table. It’s tiny enough to be ignored, free trait points.
Squeamish - You can’t wear filthy (looted from zombie) clothes. You shouldn’t anyway because you take a morale hit and are more likely to get infected.
Weak Stomach - You throw up if you eat rotten food. Don’t eat rotten food.
Weight: XXXL - You’re fat. This means you heal slowly (hidden health stat), but only until you fix it by losing weight. You can eat less at first or just turn on your Metabolic Interchange implant (and disable power save mode) and burn the pounds away in a day or two.

Skills:
Mechanics 2 - Getting mechanics up to 2 is a pain in the rear end if you don’t find a book. Once you’re at 2 you can remove doors, trunks, etc to train it higher.

E: My version of the day 1 guide for the above build:
- Look around with (x). There are a few different versions of the helicopter crash scenario. You _want_ the one with a bunch of zombie soldiers right behind you. Zombie bio-operators are even better; silencers are good and they usually have one on their gun.
- Check the map (m). What are you near? Your character can take drat near anything even on day 1, but not everything at once.
- Use (“) to start running and put about 10 tiles between you and the closest zombie. Use (w) to wield your HK 123xyz and use (p)recise shots to take all the zombies down.
- Check the corpses to see what you have to work with. (u)nload magazines to reload your rifle and try to stash 2x more STANAGs in your MBR vest by (a)ctivating it. Take first aid kits and hemostatic powder. If you’re bleeding (red body part on the top right or check the (@) screen), you need to fix that. (a)ctivate a first aid kit to disassemble it (contents drop at your feet). (a)ctivate one of the bandages or the bag of hemostatic powder and use it on the bleeding body part to stop the bleeding.
- Look for your temporary home base. Cabins are best at this point but houses on the outskirts of town will also work.
- I’m tired of writing this on my phone so...uh...start training up tailoring, fabrication, and electronics (to craft a soldering iron).
- Enjoy and ask questions here!

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 18, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Grab the CDDA Game Launcher from https://github.com/remyroy/CDDA-Game-Launcher/releases . You can unzip tilesets and whatever else into the directory structure it creates. Agreeing with above that you should start with vanilla (except for Undead People tileset) at first.

One more link, http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/ . The in-game crafting menu (&) is great, especially once you learn the search terms, but it only shows you what your character already knows. The above link is great when you can’t remember what levels of tailoring and fabrication you need to craft a light survivor suit.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 18, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

Be warned that the Launcher is gonna piss your antivirus software off something fierce.

I’ve never had that problem with the built in Win10 AV. Are you trying to install into \Program Files? Windows does not like unsigned programs trying to do that, just put it on your desktop.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You definitely can! It’ll take somewhere in the range of 2 in game weeks to set up a 7x7 cabin (5x5 internal) and I’m pretty sure you can do it with tools you can make yourself with enough survival skill. You need seeds but you can craft wild vegetable stems and I think you can forage berry seeds?

E: Funnels for catching rain are definitely a thing but most forest tiles have a 1-tile pond that has infinite water.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 18, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Qubee posted:

Is there somewhere I can see a list of all useful / most often used keybinds? Having the same issue I had when I first picked up Dwarf Fortress: everything takes me ages cause I'm constantly having to remind myself what keys do what.

Makes me remember the days when I was younger and typed one letter at a time.

PiCroft already gave you the cheat sheet but I’ll add on the ? menu. You can filter by typing what you’re looking for. For instance, if you forget that (U) unloads stuff, you can bring up the (?) menu and type “unload” to see what key is bound to that function.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

I know eyebots respect the badge though. They acknowledge the Marshall badge and departs with some "Feds have it under control " message

:eyepop:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

Nah, I chucked it on my mostly empty D drive. But then I'm running BitDefender as an AV and it hates all kinds of things so maybe thats all it is.

Missed this but no. loving no. Uninstall BitDefender, reboot, grab a copy of Sysinternals Suite, fire up autoruns.exe, and kill anything from BitDefender.

If this is your first time using autoruns.exe, it won’t delete your data but you can nuke your Windows install. Don’t disable things signed by Microsoft.

E: gently caress it, grab the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware and run that after the reboot while you’re figuring out autoruns. BitDefender isn’t malware but I’m worried what else you clicked on.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 19, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You don’t use the remote controller to drive the car. You use it to turn the turrets on as you run back screaming.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Red means bleeding, blue means almost infected.

Try to craft at a table/counter but if you can’t, use the (*) construction menu to lay down a crafting spot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Maybe you shouldn't have throwing/launchers 0 when you try to do a thing.

-a person who learned that the hard way

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGI6dGSbME

e2: I lost a good character because I tried to shoot a 40mm grenade through a lab double door at a kevlar hulk. I found the one that wasn't open yet.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LMAO, someone changed the helicopter crash / bionic soldier scenario to start with a 10 round magazine.

This ended badly.

E: Build 10735 is spawning military weapons with 10 round magazines, bug?

e2:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 7, 2020