Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Broodhollow, a webcomic by Kris Straub, is an interesting combination of Disney Magic and Hell. Set in Prohibition-era USA, Broodhollow follows the story of Wadsworth Zane, a down-on-his luck encyclopedia salesman trying to make an honest living. Obsessed with the idea of patterns having an effect on his day-to-day life, Wadsworth nevertheless finds himself struggling with bills and money. That is, until a letter comes telling him that he has inherited the estate of a distant relative.

The art is cute, the main character is lovable, and the story seems harmless so far.

It's all a lie.

The cuteness of Broodhollow is merely a facade for a dark, gripping horror webcomic about a little town haunted by the dead. Wadsworth's constantly questioned sanity provides a perfect backdrop for the death and chaos that the people of Broodhollow constantly ignore. And if the webcomic doesn't scare the life out of you, h͔͓̠̲͍̲͇͖͕̲́̕͢͡ͅé̡̨̝͖̫̮͍̗̪̱̫̭͖̬̞̗̕͜ḷ̵̨̜̲̱̯̦̀͜͢ṕ̧̧̘̪̺̖̪̫̯͍͜

Some of Kris Straub's other works include:
Chainsaw Suit, a gag-a-day comic.
Starslip, a completed sci-fi comic.
Ichor Falls, a collection of short horror stories writted by Kris Straub and other submitters.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, this comic is good, thanks for posting about it. I read the whole thing in one sitting and got so frustrated when I hit today's page and couldn't go any further, what a stopping point! Great juxtaposition between the art style and the subject matter.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I've read Chainsaw Suit for years and never assumed Straub had the talent for creating so much detail and atmosphere, as well as some pretty drat good writing (although I always found CS funny). Shows what a difference a day or a week makes when it comes to updates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was first drawn to Broodhollow because I have OCD symptoms, and what Wadsworth suffers from at the start of the comic before coming to Broodhollow is basically plain old straightforward heavy OCD - the patterns ('rituals' is what they're usually called), the vague but intense feeling of unease if unfulfilled, the linking it to some irrational and unconnected outcome...

Mine was doors related, too. Which makes the part where it actually came true way more horrifying to read. :psyduck:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I love the comic, it scares the hell out of me.

At the same time though just about every time Mercy is in frame I can't help but go :3: How hard is it to have a pet bat? Are they illegal/expensive/high maintenence?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DarklyDreaming posted:

I love the comic, it scares the hell out of me.

At the same time though just about every time Mercy is in frame I can't help but go :3: How hard is it to have a pet bat? Are they illegal/expensive/high maintenence?

Well they're nocturnal, so that'd be lovely right off the start. They also they get tangled up in people's hair. I kinda assume it'd be a bummer to get exercise for one and it could get fat and die. I've never had a bird though and they seem to do alright as pets but they're also not mammals.

edit: guess I should post something about the comic too. It's pretty good, I finally got around to reading it today. I wonder if ghost girl sounds like a middle aged man or not though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Judging by the speech bubbles she sounds like she did before, but maybe a little more... meaty.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

ChairMaster posted:

Well they're nocturnal, so that'd be lovely right off the start. They also they get tangled up in people's hair.

I thought the tangled in the hair thing was a bit of a myth? They have pretty drat good echolocation, enough not to land on someone's head... The rest is pretty spot on though.

On the comic: I get the feeling Straub has been waiting to do this comic, he loves his Lovecraftian stuff. There's one of his somewhere with a real estate agent trying to sell a house with a crawling horror for a basement or something, cracks me up every time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Am I the only one who doesn't think that's little Maddy? The ghost haunting Wadsworth's hotel room looks different and that's the one I'm assuming is her.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hollandia posted:

I thought the tangled in the hair thing was a bit of a myth? They have pretty drat good echolocation, enough not to land on someone's head... The rest is pretty spot on though.

It could be a myth, I dunno. I figure it doesn't help much to have good flight control in a cramped indoor space though, which is where I imagine such a thing would happen.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's worth mentioning that Kris seems to be using some of his old Ichor Falls ideas for Broodhollow. For example, the Maddie chapter is called "Curious Little Thing", which is also one of his IF stories, featuring a very similar "can only haunt opening/closing things" ghost. So decide for yourself if reading IF will spoil anything for you.

The spirit poor Wadsworth seems to be dealing with now seems to be The Stitched Man, per this list: http://www.ichorfalls.com/local-legends/

A lot of people don't know that Kris Straub was also the originator of Candle Cove. It's weird how much that one took off.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The Horror Stories thread in PYF just got me hooked on Kris Straub's writing, and now I find out he does an awesome comic too? Goddamn amazing. What a talented guy. I'm enjoying this a lot so far. I really enjoyed a lot of his short stories.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bobulus posted:

The spirit poor Wadsworth seems to be dealing with now seems to be The Stitched Man, per this list: http://www.ichorfalls.com/local-legends/

I don't know if he'll use the same backstory or not, but that's a name we've seen. Harker the tailor is the guy who founded the Skull & Shovels Society after all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I wonder how much of Mercy's behavior is artistic license for the sake of cuteness, and how much is related to the fact that she was a giant hell bat the night before.

(Not that that's the most important question right now.)

Chinaman7000 posted:

The Horror Stories thread in PYF just got me hooked on Kris Straub's writing, and now I find out he does an awesome comic too? Goddamn amazing. What a talented guy. I'm enjoying this a lot so far. I really enjoyed a lot of his short stories.

If you're new to Kris Straub, you should definitely check out his other comics, particularly Starslip, which I don't think I can praise enough.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

MikeJF posted:

I was first drawn to Broodhollow because I have OCD symptoms, and what Wadsworth suffers from at the start of the comic before coming to Broodhollow is basically plain old straightforward heavy OCD - the patterns ('rituals' is what they're usually called), the vague but intense feeling of unease if unfulfilled, the linking it to some irrational and unconnected outcome...

Mine was doors related, too. Which makes the part where it actually came true way more horrifying to read. :psyduck:

If it seems especially genuine, that's because it is - Straub has said before that Wadsworth's troubles are to some extent based on his own "superstitions" as he calls them. He's mentioned having something very much like the door thing, especially. I can't help sort of wondering how much it's taking out of him to show Wadsworth's rituals failing him, or if it instead helps in some way, though that's a pretty personal thing to think about a total stranger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

If it seems especially genuine, that's because it is - Straub has said before that Wadsworth's troubles are to some extent based on his own "superstitions" as he calls them.

Y'know, 'superstitions' was what I called my OCD rituals when I was young, before I learned what they were called professionally. (I knew they weren't like normal superstitions but I didn't have any better words)

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I can't help sort of wondering how much it's taking out of him to show Wadsworth's rituals failing him, or if it instead helps in some way, though that's a pretty personal thing to think about a total stranger.

I would hope it's helping, or at the very least it's not hurting...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hollandia posted:

It's not, they're echolocation is great but only when they actually use it. They're very skittish and when spooked can forget all about it.

Maybe forget is the wrong word, their instinct to use it gets overpowered by their if I make a noise this big thing will eat me instinct.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 8, 2013

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Jeez, you just had to go and post this thread when the comic is at a weekend cliff-hanger, huh? Really though, thanks for posting this. I've read some of Straub's other stuff, but I'd never heard of this. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Carrasco posted:

I wonder how much of Mercy's behavior is artistic license for the sake of cuteness, and how much is related to the fact that she was a giant hell bat the night before.

Why do you say that? I thought she was just a normal bat. There were plenty of regular bats flying around in the scene with the demon-bats as well.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 8, 2013

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know if he'll use the same backstory or not, but that's a name we've seen. Harker the tailor is the guy who founded the Skull & Shovels Society after all.

Aah, that makes a lot more sense to me. I wasn't convinced that this thing was Maddy either.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Madrox posted:

Jeez, you just had to go and post this thread when the comic is at a weekend cliff-hanger, huh? Really though, thanks for posting this. I've read some of Straub's other stuff, but I'd never heard of this. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Why do you say that? I thought she was just a normal bat. There were plenty of regular bats flying around in the scene with the demon-bats as well.

Speaking of Mercy, my current pet theory is that she is that french skeleton that Wadsworth sees, as I am fairly sure that only started happening after he named her, here. She was also clinging to him afterwards. I assume she is still clinging to him since they were together before he went into the Skull and Shovel group, though we haven't seen her since.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Roxors posted:

Speaking of Mercy, my current pet theory is that she is that french skeleton that Wadsworth sees, as I am fairly sure that only started happening after he named her, here. She was also clinging to him afterwards. I assume she is still clinging to him since they were together before he went into the Skull and Shovel group, though we haven't seen her since.

That's Cadavre!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm sooooooo happy someone made a thread about this! Thanks, OP!

I just adore this comic. It's a perfect blend of good writing, good pacing, and wonderfully well-designed art. The economy of the character's lines is just amazing! I want to roll around in it!

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's kind of interesting how none of the villagers seem to be able to remember anything supernatural, as far as I can tell. I'd guess that all the strange rituals are remnants of protection rituals. Protecting them from the things that they cannot remember.

Though I'm kind of curious of the Skull and Shovels ritual is somewhat opposite of that. Either bringing/keeping supernatural things, or perhaps even the thing that keeps people from remembering stuff like the giant bats.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I finally got around to re-reading this because of this thread, and wow!! Did that get good. I had only read the first five or so strips when the comic first started and decided to let it build up. Why oh why did I not let it build up a bit longer, you bastards for making this thread now!

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wow, Straub has really outdone himself with this, the writing is great, and some of the panels, especially the horror ones, are unbelievably dense. I had no idea that he was behind Candle Cove, either. I wasn't a huge fan of his other stuff, but I guess it warrants another look, because I was hooked early, and it's very smart. Thanks for the heads up!

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
I just finished reading through the archives the other day, now I'm hooked. I've always found Straub's Chainsaw Suit to be funny, but I didn't realize he had such a talent for inspiring sheer terror.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

legendaryRev posted:

I had no idea that he was behind Candle Cove, either.

Holy poo poo.

Learning this is like a creepy-pasta in itself. :psyduck:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Y Signal posted:

I just finished reading through the archives the other day, now I'm hooked. I've always found Straub's Chainsaw Suit to be funny, but I didn't realize he had such a talent for inspiring sheer terror.

Every time the panel suddenly shifts from cutesy cartoon art to macabre creepytown, I hear the Eternal Darkness insanity sound/music cue in my head, without fail.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Maddie's a friendly ghost that tries to protect people from the evil ghost. (Just like Casper.) And Wadsworth, thinking she's the culprit, made sure to be out of her reach. (There's no way Mr. Spectral Tailor here is referring to Iris as Zane's protector.)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Maddie's a friendly ghost that tries to protect people from the evil ghost. (Just like Casper.) And Wadsworth, thinking she's the culprit, made sure to be out of her reach. (There's no way Mr. Spectral Tailor here is referring to Iris as Zane's protector.)

If this is the case, odds are good that she will end up being just as bad (in a different way, of course) as this guy.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

This comic is really getting good at the moment. I love just how much detail he manages to squeeze into the panels to contrast them from the usual, more simplistic art style.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Is it that hard to link to the comic itself?
http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/2013/06/10/protector/

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

Easy now, it's a whole 11 letters to put into Google. I know that the OP should have put the link in the first post, but can't we keep it friendly?

Anyhow, I am so excited for this week, what a great time to start reading this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FutonForensic posted:

Holy poo poo.

Learning this is like a creepy-pasta in itself. :psyduck:

Kris is so mad that no one attributes it to him.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Kris is so mad that no one attributes it to him.

To be fair, it really did get a life of its own. I'm sure that he's gotta know by now that the Internet has a life of its own, and how urban legends work. The interviews I've read with him seem like he gets what a weird, big thing stuff like this becomes. What better honor as a writer than putting something out on an obscure website and have it become vernacular, right?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

legendaryRev posted:

Easy now, it's a whole 11 letters to put into Google. I know that the OP should have put the link in the first post, but can't we keep it friendly?

Anyhow, I am so excited for this week, what a great time to start reading this.

I think he's saying that people should add a direct link to the most recent comic when it first begins being discussed. And I agree. It makes a much better experience for people who find the comic late and want to catch up with the thread as they read through the archives.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Esme posted:

I think he's saying that people should add a direct link to the most recent comic when it first begins being discussed. And I agree. It makes a much better experience for people who find the comic late and want to catch up with the thread as they read through the archives.

Yeah, it's a lot better than just suddenly seeing posts reacting to something that you either haven't read yet or can't place (if you're from the future). Basic netiquette.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh dear. :ohdear:

This isn't going to end well, is it. :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What do you mean, not end well? The cavalry came to the rescue. Zane is in good hands now. Winghands. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, I see, sorry about that. Also:

Cat Mattress posted:

What do you mean, not end well? The cavalry came to the rescue. Zane is in good hands now. Winghands. Whatever.

It looks like not only does Mercy come to the rescue, but I feel like Maddy is trying to warn Iris, not hurt her. Like she knows the tailor ghost is bad, and she's been trying to warn Zane all along.

• Locked thread