Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Well then. :stare:

You can see the horrible tower thing in the first photo, the hole/pit/thing from the end of the second book, and it looks like even Cadavre made an appearance for old time's sake.
There's two ghosts, actually, there's a less distinct one on the left of the photo also photobombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"There wasn't a hole there. But there is now." :allears:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

WickedHate posted:

"There wasn't a hole there. But there is now." :allears:

Neely's Bar closed down ever since Prohibition, sadly.

Zereth posted:

There's two ghosts, actually, there's a less distinct one on the left of the photo also photobombing.

That ghost is just walking to work, minding it's ghost business.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Hey, at least they're in color.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think I might enjoy these little side stories even more than the main plot

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The fifth photo is the one he accidentally took of himself when he first picked up the camera.

I can't wait.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

ProfessorProf posted:

The fifth photo is the one he accidentally took of himself when he first picked up the camera.

I can't wait.

Update

Not unexpected, but... :ohdear:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm so glad Amygdala finds time to travel outside of Yarnham.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
look man, alien spider eggs don't just affix to your walls so they can spill their unspeakable cargo into your home and infest your brains as you sleep by themselves.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have to say I didn't expect this storyline to end so abruptly, oh well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This side story makes me sad that nobody ever really took the idea of "Use camera to uncover horrors" further than Fatal Frame in video games. I love those games but a lovecraftian tint looks really appealing now.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

This side story makes me sad that nobody ever really took the idea of "Use camera to uncover horrors" further than Fatal Frame in video games. I love those games but a lovecraftian tint looks really appealing now.

I think the problem is that cameras and photographs produce tangible evidence which in turn makes it harder to be 'horror'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

For various reasons I hadn't gotten around to reading my rss feed for Broodhollow since mid book 2. Now I'm caught up and sad that there wasn't more to read.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Would you look at that, seems like the comic updated several times last month:

The Last Train Part 1

The Last Train Part 2

The Last Train Part 3

The Last Train Part 4

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"You ask one little question and people treat you like a criminal. They SHOULD be treating me like a criminal for tonight's serial muggings" is such a Kris Straub line.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"Is it moving at all?" is such a good line to have stalled on.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Part 5 is up. Neat thing, looks like it was inspired by something like this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Straub has been afflicted with the sadbrains, so updates are probably not forthcoming in a fast manner.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Straub has been afflicted with the sadbrains, so updates are probably not forthcoming in a fast manner.
Here's a C/P:

quote:

Broodhollow is partly — maybe mostly — an exploration of some long-held fears and rituals I’ve accumulated. When Zane can’t look into a doorway cracked an inch wide for fear of seeing a face, that’s not invented. That is my fear. When Zane is terrified of forgetting what he’s already done, that’s me too. When he has dreams in which he’s compelled against sense to find the thing that will frighten him awake, that’s also been me.

I’ve had anxiety and depression issues most of my life. I’ve been trying new medications lately because my depression is manifesting itself differently than usual. Ordinarily, in the past, when I’ve been depressed, my work didn’t stop. The content just changed to reflect it. You can see it in tonal shifts in Starslip and Chainsawsuit from time to time.

Usually the low periods last a couple weeks and then clear up, with no change in my output frequency. Often I’d look forward to the depressive periods, because my output would actually increase. I believed I did better work while depressed. (I actually still do.)

But for the past four or five months I’ve been in this state, and it’s been marked by the opposite: output I don’t feel confident about, and a trickle of ideas when I felt like I stood in front of a relative fire hose for the past 15 years.

I’m embarrassed to write about it like this, because I know how lucky I am to be able to be a cartoonist in the first place, and to be able to produce something you are excited to read. This has been my dream since childhood. But I have 15,000 bosses I have to stand in front of today, and apologize for not coming in on time.

This isn’t an announcement saying Broodhollow is over, or anything dramatic like that. I have at least two more Broodhollow books in me after A Game of Oubliette is finished, once it’s finished. I still love this universe. I just wanted to share what’s been going on, and that if you sensed that I’ve been struggling, well, you were right. I wish that it wasn’t the case.

My objective has always been to give you something fantastical to think about and be entertained by; a place to travel to, to suspend your own concerns. I always felt that writing about my own issues (in anything but a detached, curious way) is completely outside of — and in opposition to — that entertainment objective.

But some good will come out of it if I help someone else understand that you are allowed to struggle, sometimes.

My priority right now is Kickstarter fulfillment — but I’ll still be exploring the borders of Broodhollow here. Thank you for reading and being supportive. And of course I will respond to any comments below.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The Broodhollow front page currently has a link to "something a little different" Straub did for Halloween: http://local58.info

Ehhhhhhh. A good effort, but YouTube is full of many, many, better works in this genre.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

blastron posted:

Ehhhhhhh. A good effort, but YouTube is full of many, many, better works in this genre.

Iunno. It might not be the most striking horror concept, but at least it doesn't look like the fakest, goofiest digital effects ever, like almost every youtube 'horror' video.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bloodborne

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Iunno. It might not be the most striking horror concept, but at least it doesn't look like the fakest, goofiest digital effects ever, like almost every youtube 'horror' video.

Plus it didn't devolve to a loving jump scare or sudden noise

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Plus it didn't devolve to a loving jump scare or sudden noise

Or someone's face leaking black CG goo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why are you spoiler-tagging things that this video isn't?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We were discussing what it was but I guess it's been out long enough to stop that now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, Broodhollow is still on Hiatus, but on the upside, Candle Cove is going to TV for a six-episode series.

quote:

NEW YORK – November 18, 2015 – Syfy announced today that it has greenlit a new limited anthology series, CHANNEL ZERO, from Nick Antosca (Hannibal, Friday the 13th, Teen Wolf) and Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra). Universal Cable Productions will serve as the studio for this twelve-hour order, which will air on Syfy in two self-contained, six-episode seasons in Fall 2016 and Fall 2017 as the centerpiece of the channel’s annual 31 Days of Halloween programming event.

The first installment of CHANNEL ZERO is set to debut with the six-part Candle Cove, based on an unnerving tale written by Kris Straub which gained notoriety online as a popular “creepypasta” (user-generated horror stories that are published and passed around the internet). Candle Cove centers on one man’s obsessive recollections of a mysterious children’s television program from the 1980s – and his ever-growing suspicions about the role it might have played in a series of nightmarish and deadly events from his childhood.

Apparently Straub's not involved in production but he says he's happy with the team that's taken it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I wonder how they're going to turn a single short story into 6 episodes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ariong posted:

they're going to make an actual spooky kids' show

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ariong posted:

Last episode is the puppets screaming over and over. Only 5 more to write!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I kinda thought the show would just use Candle Cove as like, the first episode. I have no idea how you can make 6 episodes out of such a simple premise. Maybe they're planning on padding it out with absolute pointless bullshit, like Marble Hornets.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

quote:

Candle Cove centers on one man’s obsessive recollections of a mysterious children’s television program from the 1980s – and his ever-growing suspicions about the role it might have played in a series of nightmarish and deadly events from his childhood.

It's just a few posts up, guys. That's what the six episodes are going to be about.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

quote:

In other news, I’m writing Broodhollow again. Stay tuned.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV0I-iA5lJU

Straub put out a second Local 58 short in the meantime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've never seen a man get so much horror mileage out of public access TV.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what's more terrifying then public-funded media

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AriadneThread posted:

advertisement funded media

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lurdiak posted:

I've never seen a man get so much horror mileage out of public access TV.

There's just something about old TV that lends itself so well to that. I'm betting he's got a few more of these in him.

Hadn't checked the site in a long time, I'd almost forgotten about Broodhollow. Glad to hear he's working on it and I just hope the creative slump doesn't become a recurring thing. I've followed Straub's work for a long time and he's always been one of the more professional and reliable web comics artists out there.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cat Mattress posted:

advertisement funded media

N-no!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

Pledge drives.

• Locked thread