Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gonktastic posted:

Is it a good idea to send anything back when you get an email saying you didn't get the job?

If it's a personalized email, yes, if it's a form letter don't bother.

Something along the lines of "Thank you for letting me know, sorry it didn't work out this time, please let me know if you need people in the future." But you know, written well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Bisty Q. posted:

As a hiring manager, grad school GPA is worthless to me, but depending on your specific field education can be more or less important. I would still play the internship up far far more, though. Nobody cares about honor societies and bluntly basically everyone has a 3.9+ grad school GPA so it doesn't communicate any information to me.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. My company isn't a biotech company (just software), but whenever I see a resume with a GPA on it, that just says to me, "I have no real-world experience." That can be fine for an entry-level position, but it's also not really that useful.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will leave my GPA off my resume and emphasize the internship.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I will leave my GPA off my resume and emphasize the internship.

Good thing I didn't give a poo poo about my grades! Glad to know all that effort doesn't mean poo poo to you guys and you only spend 20 seconds looking at if we worked at a Fortune 100 or Fortune 500 company.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Good thing I didn't give a poo poo about my grades! Glad to know all that effort doesn't mean poo poo to you guys and you only spend 20 seconds looking at if we worked at a Fortune 100 or Fortune 500 company.

I'm not an hiring person, but really? Once you hit the real world, nobody gives a flying gently caress what your GPA ever was.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not an hiring person, but really? Once you hit the real world, nobody gives a flying gently caress what your GPA ever was.

Bingo. Your GPA matters once, after that you're judged on your workplace accomplishments. No one in the real world gives a poo poo about your grades. Good grades don't have poo poo to do with being a good employee. Hell after 5 years work experience I don't even care where you went to school. Stanford or Lower Arkansas River Institute of Redneckery, makes no difference to me. Can you do the job? Do you fit in with the team? What have you accomplished?

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

To be honest, I have always looked at my GPA as more of a personal goal than something that would help in the real world. I figure the important parts are the level of degree and, in my specific case, local reputation of the program in terms of finding and landing that first job. It doesn't surprise me that GPA isn't even slightly important--in fact, it surprised me that the OP insinuated that there were circumstances under which one might want to put GPA on a resume at all.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Yeah, when you're a fresh grad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hard NOP Life posted:

And you have a 4.0. If you bring attention to it, it better be good.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

skipdogg posted:

I've never worked public sector, but benefits/time off are usually set in stone by policy. If they pay on a a grade/step level chart you can negotiate to start at a higher step than what they might want to start you at.

Just a random example, but say you're getting hired by the State of Kansas as a Machinist. Machinist are Pay Grade 20, and they want to start you at Step 6, well you could probably negotiate up to Step 10 if they wanted you bad enough, a difference of 15.03 and hour vs. 16.56 an hour. But that snowballs as you get your step/grade increases as you work there. It can make a big difference, especially with retirement contributions and whatnot.

http://www.da.ks.gov/ps/documents/payplan0614hrly.pdf

Spend a little time and figure out how the department is run and the payscale/grade/step for the position and see what you can do.

What if the job is with city government instead of state government? I can't find any information on the city's website regarding a salary schedule. Would it be safe to go with the state's schedule as reference instead?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Chalets the Baka posted:

What if the job is with city government instead of state government? I can't find any information on the city's website regarding a salary schedule. Would it be safe to go with the state's schedule as reference instead?

How could anyone answer that without knowing what the pay is like in the state jobs vs. the local city jobs? If it's a small city, it's probably going to pay less than if it's, say, NYC.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Hard NOP Life posted:

FrozenVent posted:

And you have a 4.0. If you bring attention to it, it better be good.

Now I'm confused. This directly contradicts the advice I was just given.

Job hunting is impossible. :psyduck:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Now I'm confused. This directly contradicts the advice I was just given.

Job hunting is impossible. :psyduck:

If you got a good GPA and you are relatively fresh out of school why the hell would you not put it on your resume?

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
My anecdotal experience has been that larger and more established companies care about GPA especially during internship recruitment during undergrad. After graduating- not sure.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
OP says, "Unless this is your first job out of college, put your education at the end of the resume and emphasize it as little as possible." It's not my real first job out of college, but it's my real first job in the field related to my degree out of college. I graduated in 2012, have been working in an unrelated field since. Should I still put my education on the bottom? I feel that my education is an important factor in this position I'm applying to (administrative work at an art museum).

Edit: Is it also horrible of me to use "industry specific" words? IE: batik vs "rozome" (I studied textiles)

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 25, 2013

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shnooks posted:

OP says, "Unless this is your first job out of college, put your education at the end of the resume and emphasize it as little as possible." It's not my real first job out of college, but it's my real first job in the field related to my degree out of college. I graduated in 2012, have been working in an unrelated field since. Should I still put my education on the bottom? I feel that my education is an important factor in this position I'm applying to (administrative work at an art museum).

Edit: Is it also horrible of me to use "industry specific" words? IE: batik vs "rozome" (I studied textiles)

You can emphasize the education if your past jobs have all been *completely* unrelated. Basically, put your best foot forward is the advice -- and for most people their education is actually not their best foot.

You should absolutely use industry specific buzzwords, within reason; they indicate that you have more than just academic knowledge of the area. I'd also be sure to emphasize any projects or organizations or whatever that are related to that field that you have been in (ideally you've been doing/in them since college.)

Also, re: the other GPA posts -- I do consider undergrad GPA as a bit of information if it is on the resume, but I don't think twice if it is not there. Graduate school GPAs are literally worthless, however, which is what the guy I was responding to was asking about.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bisty Q. posted:

Graduate school GPAs are literally worthless, however, which is what the guy I was responding to was asking about.
I am not the sort of person who was going to list it on his résumé anyway, but this advice still sounds contradictory for graduate students who have never had real-world experience (I worked for a few years between undergraduate and graduate school, but most of my cohort did not). I imagine someone getting a first job after graduate school would be just as well advised as a recent undergraduate in listing it?

(Also I know this is not the government jobs thread, but keep in mind that the federal government requires you to list it on your résumé when applying for any job through USAJobs.gov, and I imagine they are not the only ones)

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Quarex posted:

I am not the sort of person who was going to list it on his résumé anyway, but this advice still sounds contradictory for graduate students who have never had real-world experience (I worked for a few years between undergraduate and graduate school, but most of my cohort did not). I imagine someone getting a first job after graduate school would be just as well advised as a recent undergraduate in listing it?

(Also I know this is not the government jobs thread, but keep in mind that the federal government requires you to list it on your résumé when applying for any job through USAJobs.gov, and I imagine they are not the only ones)

Basically everyone in graduate school leaves with a 3.9 or higher. To me, graduate school GPA is not a worthwhile piece of data.

That said, if it is your only accomplishment (you didn't TA or RA or anything relevant in grad school), then of course you should list it, and I don't think it will *hurt* -- I just don't think it will help as much people think it might.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Goky posted:

Sounds like good news--they normally don't go through this kind of trouble unless you're being seriously considered. I had one of these, but it wasn't quite as long. The meetings tend to be short, so each person will probably focus on a specific area. If they don't, you'll end up repeating yourself a lot (which is OK, better than leaving out essential info). I've heard that marathon interviews are a way of determining if you're a good 'culture fit' (i.e., whether they could actually see themselves working with you) so try to be sociable in a way that doesn't scream "I'm trying to show you how sociable I am". Also, make sure you have a cup of water handy--four straight hours of talking is killer on the salivary glands.

Make sure you get contact information from each person so that you can send them all follow-up 'Thank You' emails that night or the next morning. It's very easy to forget who is who when you talk to so many people.

Good luck!

Thanks for this, it was all spot on. It went extremely well and I got the offer yesterday. I even managed to side step the dreaded "how much do you think you should be paid" by answering "I don't get out of bed for less than $1.2 million". He laughed pretty hard at that, then came out with a number, and we ended up about $3k higher. All I'm all, I'm really excited and still in disbelief.

If anyone needs advice about these kinds of interviews, let me know.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bisty Q. posted:

Basically everyone in graduate school leaves with a 3.9 or higher. To me, graduate school GPA is not a worthwhile piece of data.

That said, if it is your only accomplishment (you didn't TA or RA or anything relevant in grad school), then of course you should list it, and I don't think it will *hurt* -- I just don't think it will help as much people think it might.
I see what you are saying, and that makes sense. Though if I told people in my graduate program that everyone leaves with a 3.9, they would laugh at me. And I am hardly in some sort of top program. Maybe the more elite the program, the more profound the grade inflation? Several of my classmates are jealous of my 3.8, haha.

Regardless, as I filled out yet another online application that had a mandatory "minimum salary requested" field, I thought of this thread and smiled. Or is that cried? I am not sure.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So I am doing a total overhaul of my resume and have a question about the education section advice given in the OP. I am getting my MBA in december, and would like to highlight that as its a needed bit of qualification on my resume. Is it still advisable to put it below my work experience or should I keep the education section at the top to highlight the MBA?

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So I am doing a total overhaul of my resume and have a question about the education section advice given in the OP. I am getting my MBA in december, and would like to highlight that as its a needed bit of qualification on my resume. Is it still advisable to put it below my work experience or should I keep the education section at the top to highlight the MBA?

Because your MBA is recent (currently attaining) it is supposed to be at the top.

I've been advised that 3 years after completion of a degree that it goes on the bottom.

Am I correct, folks?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

outlier posted:

I hope others can chip in on this but: I wouldn't see it as a problem, provided it was spun right.

People work from self-employed to salaried all the time, and you could say things like "it was very useful at the time to run my own company in terms of taking care of the the family but now I want something different in terms of work etc. etc." Make it look as if it was a considered decision and you're not going to fly back to the company after a few months.

From a week or so ago, but this was in response to my question about my past 3 or so years of self-employment. My wife pointed out that if someone were to do a background check, hypothetically, of course, if I were to have done all of those jobs as cash jobs, without reporting it to the IRS, then there might be nothing about it on my background check.

*Supposing that someone (not me, of course) maintained some semblance of self-employment for about 3 years, and did it as cash jobs, how would someone handle that situation?

*for informational purposes only

pookers
Jul 9, 2007
I had an interview yesterday that I think I did really well on thanks to this thread. Some great advice in here! I clicked really well with the manager and she seemed to be impressed with me, so fingers crossed!

I have a question though, I have another interview on Tuesday at a different place. If I am offered the first job before then, how do I stall while waiting to see if I like the second place better? The only reason I'm worried about it happening before then is that she said she had another interview today and then she would decide and most likely get back to me by Monday. If it matters they're both for an entry level patient care job at different hospitals... I'm planning on going to nursing school.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
You would typically just ask for an extension for a week or so to allow some more time to mull it over. Haven't had a no with that yet.

pookers
Jul 9, 2007

Dead Pressed posted:

You would typically just ask for an extension for a week or so to allow some more time to mull it over. Haven't had a no with that yet.

Would that work for an entry level job that likely has quite a few applicants? I really like this hospital but the hours aren't the best so I wanted to see what the other one is like before I commit. It took me forever to even get an interview though so I really don't want to screw my opportunity up! I've always just accepted jobs I've been offered before.

Just say I need a few days to discuss with my family or something?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Uh so I managed to score an interview within a week of moving back from college. The hiring managers loved me and now I need to meet with the HR director and the guy who will be my boss as a threeway interview.

My issue is 1. I haven't had a formal job interview since my first corporate job as a barista at Starbucks and 2. I don't own any suits.

So I guess 1. is gonna be pretty shakey no matter what but if I were to get a suit at Men's Warehouse, what's the best option for a slim fitting suit that isn't hilariously expensive? (I'm a slim guy)

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Xovaan posted:

Uh so I managed to score an interview within a week of moving back from college. The hiring managers loved me and now I need to meet with the HR director and the guy who will be my boss as a threeway interview.

My issue is 1. I haven't had a formal job interview since my first corporate job as a barista at Starbucks and 2. I don't own any suits.

So I guess 1. is gonna be pretty shakey no matter what but if I were to get a suit at Men's Warehouse, what's the best option for a slim fitting suit that isn't hilariously expensive? (I'm a slim guy)

2. You go to Macy's or MW or whatever and tell the salesman what you're looking for. They can tell you better than anyone here. Also, google "obama suit" and look for something like that. It's a great place to start.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

johnny sack posted:

2. You go to Macy's or MW or whatever and tell the salesman what you're looking for. They can tell you better than anyone here. Also, google "obama suit" and look for something like that. It's a great place to start.

Yeah. Basically, you'll want to get an affordable suit that's close to fitting right and then get it altered to an exact fit. It's usually maybe an extra :10bux: or so, but having a properly-fitting suit will leave a much better impression if the place you're interviewing at cares about that sort of thing. Dunno about Macy's, but Men's Warehouse usually has an in house tailor to do alterations, so you can buy something there and pick it up in a day or two after it's ready.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. Basically, you'll want to get an affordable suit that's close to fitting right and then get it altered to an exact fit. It's usually maybe an extra :10bux: or so, but having a properly-fitting suit will leave a much better impression if the place you're interviewing at cares about that sort of thing. Dunno about Macy's, but Men's Warehouse usually has an in house tailor to do alterations, so you can buy something there and pick it up in a day or two after it's ready.

Any place that sells suits will have a tailor in house, worst comes to worst you can always take it to another guy. You need to get a suit NOW, because alterations can take a few days and you might not be happy with the result (And don't be afraid to ask for further fixes, you paid for this poo poo, it's their job to get it right.)

There's a suit thread in YLLS that might be worth a look, IIRC the OP has some info on how to fit a suit. You could also invest in a copy of GQ or esquire and take a good look at how the suits are tailored - length of the sleeves and pants, length of the shirt sleeves, etc. Salesmen always want your sleeves to be too long for some reason.

The one measurement they cannot fix is the width of the shoulder, so be very careful with that. Everything else - jacket length (Down to the base of your thumb when your arm is completely slack, should cover your butt just barely), sleeve length (at the wrist, maybe a quarter inch back to show some shirt), waist, pant length (just a bit of a "break"), pant waist, pant crotch, leg width, that can be fixed. Suit pants aren't skin tight, but they're usually tighter than say chinos or slacks. If you stick your wallet in your front pocket, it should show.

What I'm saying here is that tailoring is what makes a suit look good on you. If you can only afford a $200 suit, that's fine (Even though the suit thread would probably go "But for only $300 more!") as long as you get it tailored properly. Tailoring is 95% of the difference between "Going to prom!" and "grown up with a grown up job." You're starting up, nobody's expecting you to be wearing $5000 custom made Italian suits, and face it, not a whole lot of people wear those anyway. If you've got $300 to spend, buy $200-225 worth of clothes and spend the rest on adjustments. You'll be fine, just get it tailored so it doesn't look like you're wearing your dad's suit.

Also go navy or charcoal (Not black, charcoal. There's a subtle difference, that difference is between "funeral" and "going to work.") and if at all possible, prefer wool or at least a wool blend, as it breathes better and tend not to retain wrinkles as much. I'd say don't worry about patterns at all for now, just go for a solid color.

(My work wardrobe went from "'k you still can't quite see my balls in those jeans" to "corporate" last summer, so I spent a bit of time reading about suits, it's really quite interesting.)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What the hell is a CV? I think it's a cover letter, but I don't get the V. What should go in my cover letter?

Musi Ace
Jan 26, 2006
Too Late

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What the hell is a CV? I think it's a cover letter, but I don't get the V. What should go in my cover letter?

CV stands for curriculum vitae. It is more commonly used in Europe instead of a resume. It's pretty much a super resume with every drat detail of your life on it. I've seen CV's that had peoples blood types listed. How much detail to include in your CV tends to depend on the area/country you're in and the job you're applying for. I'm sure there is a recruiter here who deals with them and can give you more info about what to include in them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I like the OP, but I'd add in one important thing: an interview isn't just about impressing the company you're interviewing with. It's a two-way street and while they are evaluating you, you should be evaluating them as well. I realize it's kind of hard to appreciate when you really need a job yesterday or you're just out of school and job hunting for the first time, but, really, you should not just ignore all the warning signs and take the first job that comes along unless you have no choice.

I'm not sure how much reading that helps, though. I heard it a lot but it never really sank in until I started interviewing when already having a job.

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick question: what is a good font for resumes? Currently I am using Times New Roman, which I am guessing is not great.

I like really formal-looking serifed fonts like Garamond, Palatino Linotype, Bookman, and so on.

Positive Optimyst posted:

Because your MBA is recent (currently attaining) it is supposed to be at the top.

I've been advised that 3 years after completion of a degree that it goes on the bottom.

Am I correct, folks?

Come on, this is silly. There's no hard-and-fast rule. The important thing is that whatever thing would be most impressive on your resume goes on top. For most folks it's the job they've been doing that is related to the one for which they're applying, so work experience on top. If you're applying for an office job and you have a business degree but all your work experience is waiting tables, that probably isn't the case. Just use common sense.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 29, 2013

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

A curriculum vitae, as mentioned, is a sort of super-resume. If you're unfamiliar with writing one, I'd Google examples, because they are long and highly structured and you want to keep yours as readable as possible. Where a resume is usually looking for just your work experience and education, a CV is going to include anything you've published, relevant or notable work projects, educational details, relevant skills, and any private interests/projects that relate to the job.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Suit obtained and tailored for my size/height! Now to peruse Goodwill for some ties. :)

I'm assuming burgundy? I feel like such a cretin not knowing this. :doh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xovaan posted:

Suit obtained and tailored for my size/height! Now to peruse Goodwill for some ties. :)

I'm assuming burgundy? I feel like such a cretin not knowing this. :doh:

Burgundy, maroon, blue... Go with something that'll complement your skin tone / eyes. I'm partial to blue myself.

Stay away from loud patterns and wacky colors. Clip-ons, of course, are not an option.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The colors don't matter, but yes, conservative is better. If it looks more like something you'd wear to church than to a club you're OK.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Any place that sells suits will have a tailor in house, worst comes to worst you can always take it to another guy. You need to get a suit NOW, because alterations can take a few days and you might not be happy with the result (And don't be afraid to ask for further fixes, you paid for this poo poo, it's their job to get it right.)

There's a suit thread in YLLS that might be worth a look, IIRC the OP has some info on how to fit a suit. You could also invest in a copy of GQ or esquire and take a good look at how the suits are tailored - length of the sleeves and pants, length of the shirt sleeves, etc. Salesmen always want your sleeves to be too long for some reason.

The one measurement they cannot fix is the width of the shoulder, so be very careful with that. Everything else - jacket length (Down to the base of your thumb when your arm is completely slack, should cover your butt just barely), sleeve length (at the wrist, maybe a quarter inch back to show some shirt), waist, pant length (just a bit of a "break"), pant waist, pant crotch, leg width, that can be fixed. Suit pants aren't skin tight, but they're usually tighter than say chinos or slacks. If you stick your wallet in your front pocket, it should show.

What I'm saying here is that tailoring is what makes a suit look good on you. If you can only afford a $200 suit, that's fine (Even though the suit thread would probably go "But for only $300 more!") as long as you get it tailored properly. Tailoring is 95% of the difference between "Going to prom!" and "grown up with a grown up job." You're starting up, nobody's expecting you to be wearing $5000 custom made Italian suits, and face it, not a whole lot of people wear those anyway. If you've got $300 to spend, buy $200-225 worth of clothes and spend the rest on adjustments. You'll be fine, just get it tailored so it doesn't look like you're wearing your dad's suit.

Also go navy or charcoal (Not black, charcoal. There's a subtle difference, that difference is between "funeral" and "going to work.") and if at all possible, prefer wool or at least a wool blend, as it breathes better and tend not to retain wrinkles as much. I'd say don't worry about patterns at all for now, just go for a solid color.

(My work wardrobe went from "'k you still can't quite see my balls in those jeans" to "corporate" last summer, so I spent a bit of time reading about suits, it's really quite interesting.)

Yes all of this, with the slight addition than that your jacket sleeve shouldn't go further back than your wristbone when you shoot your cuffs (i.e. arms straight out in front, wrists down and fingers balled). Sleeve length is a tough thing to get right, and the difference of one or two tenths of an inch can make a huge difference in looks depending on your build.

Though it looks like the poster with the initial question got it mostly right from the photos, aside from some slack in the elbows (is there an inseam?) and pant legs that look just slightly too long, but it's hard to tell without shoes. That might come down to personal style; to me, fitted suits need to look, well, fitted. I think you'll do just fine with that one regardless.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

In the US, CV is often used interchangeably with resume, but they are in fact two different things as others have posted, and it's worth knowing the difference between the two. You can usually infer by the type of job you're applying for which one is intended; if you're at all uncertain, ask for clarification.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I like really formal-looking serifed fonts like Garamond, Palatino Linotype, Bookman, and so on.

Always use serifed fonts for the body of a resume, especially if the text is justified (and it drat well better be :)). Sans serif fonts are only for headings and the like.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yes all of this, with the slight addition than that your jacket sleeve shouldn't go further back than your wristbone when you shoot your cuffs (i.e. arms straight out in front, wrists down and fingers balled). Sleeve length is a tough thing to get right, and the difference of one or two tenths of an inch can make a huge difference in looks depending on your build.

Yeah seriously getting the sleeves juuuuust right is a pain in the rear end and it will drive you absolutely nuts if you're even a little obsessive compulsive.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Though it looks like the poster with the initial question got it mostly right from the photos, aside from some slack in the elbows (is there an inseam?) and pant legs that look just slightly too long, but it's hard to tell without shoes. That might come down to personal style; to me, fitted suits need to look, well, fitted. I think you'll do just fine with that one regardless.

I agree that there might be a bit too much fabric in the pants right now, but that's not too much of an issue. Always get pants measured with dress shoes on, no matter what the salesperson say. I don't know if it's the elbows or the biceps that are too big, but that's a relatively minor point. While I agree with HP here, we're nitpicking because we're spergy goony goons and that suit is perfectly fine for an interview. It looks good on you, it's professional, and it's perfectly good for a recent college grad.

Go get 'em.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's standard in academia. Where the resume highlights your job experience, a CV is more about publications and teaching experience. They usually break the rule of never having a resume longer than one page, and can have varying levels of how comprehensive it is.

It's what I used to make my escape from academia and out to the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I had a really good interview last week, and I have one more this week with the CIO of the organization. It's for an entry level position in a fairly large organization and the interview is expected to be short. What should I expect interviewing with an executive officer? Will it be any different than a typical interviewand should I be preparing for it any differently? If so, how should I prepare and what kind of questions should I be asking?