Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

I'm in the final stages of interviewing with several places right now, and two of them had me change the position I was interviewing for mid-process because the person originally doing it quit and they needed to fill the gap.

The other positions are pretty interchangeable from the originals in terms of responsibilities, and I'm out of work so I can't be picky, but it's weird this happened twice at two different companies within two weeks. Consequence of plague times I guess.

Companies are hemorrhaging people right now. Our main competitor in our city has lost something like 25 people this month (many of them trying to get jobs with us) because people are sick of bullshit/have found better opportunities/etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pekinduck posted:

Big ask but does anyone here have experience with academic staff or public museum resumes (or just experience with resumes in general) and could take a quick look at mine? I'd post it but it would be hard to anonymize and I really cant afford to link myself to SA. Desperately need to get out of my helljob. Thanks so much!

An a more general note are there good go-to resume format templates people use? I've looked around but didn't have much luck.

I have experience with this.

What type of position are you applying for - a curator? A docent? What type of museum? Is this a grant reliant position? A foundation? Are you applying work at a university? Public? Private? Depending on the answer it could be what you need is a CV, not a resume.

(Have you worked in a museum before? Because I can tell you museums are notoriously bad places to work, and every person I know who has worked in one has either transitioned into real academia or into a new field.)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

Why are museums so bad to work for?

The pay is terrible, 95% of museums are one bad fundraising quarter away from closing their doors (and the other 5% are impossible to get jobs in because there are a ton of wealthy retired people who are happy to do the work for free because they love art and history!), everyone is overeducated, etc. - its like a terrible high school where you make $12/hr despite having an MA and 175k in debt.

I do have PMs!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Yea, sorry OP - and not to be harsh - but something isn't adding up. I think its probably spiking you on the backend when something gets sent to HR for a final sign off and someone you never spoke to cans it. Also did you give context on the defamation judgement? That would be as much of a red flag as the bankruptcy to me. Also are you the poster who got demoted at their old job?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

I totally get what you guys are saying - but the background/credit checks arent done during the interview process. They're done after you sign an offer letter and sign off on the check.

This would only show up on the credit check - assuming a company runs them. I'm not sure if the lawsuit would show up since I won that anyways.

In that case, I'd expect to get torpedoed after signing the letter.

You’re telling them upfront about the bankruptcy. It could be someone brushing it off at early stages who doesn’t have the authority to do so, but then when you’re more of a serious candidate then it comes up to the decision makers and they say no (or go with the other candidate.)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah the one company did it that way but that doesn't mean all companies do OP. It's pretty normal for a company to run background/credit checks on their handful of finalists before deciding who to offer.

Don't you need to give permission for them to run the checks though? So conceivably you'd know they're checking. (Or at least, I've always given permission in jobs I've interviewed for)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm an econ major who is hoping to get a job in my field. My resume is ok but it's very "soft". What could I do to make it more appealing to employers?

https://imgur.com/a/Q9s2FIk

Since your job experience isn’t relevant lead with your skills and software experience.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

life is killing me posted:

This may not be the right place for this question but does anyone here work in a RTW state in a field where unions are prevalent? Finishing some cert exams and realizing the aerospace and aviation industries are heavy on the unions. With some research I’ve found that apparently in a RTW state you can opt out and be exempt from even compulsory dues mandated by the company’s contract with a given union, but can anyone with experience here expound on or speak into this?

Basically I’m worried that I’ll be pressured to join a union when I get in somewhere and I’m not keen on being in a union—don’t know fully what my rights would be in this situation. I’m in Texas FWIW

I’ll help: join a union if you can, it will only help you. Your hesitation and concerns about unions are the product of decades of anti union propaganda from employers.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

Thread - I need your help.

My resume is awesome. I know I have bankruptcy on my credit report, but lets just assume I don't for a second.

All of my interviews are via zoom/teams etc etc etc.

Are there new etiquette rules I need to be aware of?

I ask because I had
3 Interviews at Software company - This is the job I got and had rescinded due to bankruptcy
5 Interviews at Non Profit - and didn't get the job (told about Bankruptcy)
6 Interviews at Small Pharma company - and didnt get it.
3 Interviews at other small company - and didn't get it.
3 interviews at Saas 1 (told about Bankruptcy)
3 Interviews at manufacturing company 1 and didn't get it - but the person i was replacing there offered me a job working for me at her new company.
2 Interviews at a Holding company for a chain fast food place - I didnt get it but would have turned it down if i did.
+8 First Round interviews I opted not to go forward on due to money.
+ I had my fourth interview at an Saas company on Thursday (told about Bankruptcy), and two first round interviews today, plus an invite for another.

It seems like I get to the end each time - I am told by multiple people how i would be a good fit personality wise and based on my experience, and then poof.

I know i shouldn't be complaining because i have a job, but I need to get the hell out of here and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

quote:

I have bankruptcy on my credit report

I dunno what to tell you. It seems pretty clear cut. You're looking for jobs involving money, and getting to a final stage and my guess is at that point someone higher up is opting to go with the 'less risky' (i.e. no bankruptcy) candidate or HR is being officially asked and they're saying no when there's an alternative. You clearly have a strong enough resume to get through the door and interview well enough to move past the opening rounds.

The other options are: you have a bad reputation and work in a small field; you are a weirdo but only in your final interview; you're very unlucky. I don't think any of these are very likely.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Yes my CV when I worked in academia was edit: actually 18 pages

You put everything in. Everything. Every presentation, every committee you’ve served on, all of your service, etc.

For a Dean level position in an easier publishing field I would see CVs 50 pages or more.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 25, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have seen many resumes from actual pastors looking to leave the church and never seen the phrase "pastoral skills" either.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hand Knit posted:

A position that will involve both dealing with marginalized people about difficult topics and having to keep confidentiality. So the "care and emotional support" stuff has some specific value beyond just being part of the soft skills package.

Counseling skills

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I would get rid of the color just in the sense of uploading your resume into systems which ingest it into other systems.

Same reason I'd get rid of the phone and email graphic.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I will update with more info when I’m home but these types of interviews are very standard in academia and you should not be asking HR style questions.

For my last academic job I had two days of interviews, almost all of them with panels.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

For administrative/non-teaching positions, the hiring process in academia can be... a lot. There's typically three parts: meeting with the search committee/meeting with the Dean/unit head (this is the part that really matters), a public presentation with a wide invitation set (matters, but somewhat less), and a series of "panels" with people with whom the position works with (this matters a lot less). These interviews are generally back-to-back. If you're lucky they might buy you lunch!

It sounds like you're concerned about this last part. Typically in these types of panels you're going to meet with a variety basket of people whose work/role is somewhat related to the position you're interviewing for. They could be someone who does the same type of work but elsewhere on campus, it could be someone who works for an office effected by your work, or it could be some random person they shoe-horned in to try to have a "diverse" panel.

These panels will operate in one of two ways: they'll either have a set of questions provided to them by the search committee that they'll ask of every candidate, or they'll have no questions and just want to have a conversation with you. The entire point of these interviews is to get a sense of you as a person and make sure you're tolerable to work with.

As terms of questions for you to ask, do not ask anything HR related. None of these people will have any involvement in things like leave or health insurance - at any decent sized university all of that is handled by entirely separate departments and is not typically something that can be negotiated because it's set. Instead, ask them what they're looking to see for a person in this role. Ask about their work. Ask about opportunities for professional development, travel and publishing (as appropriate).

For salary discussion, that will either be handled (most likely) by the department's budget/HR person, or rarely by the search committee themselves. Talking about money in these rooms would be a major red flag IME.

If you can provide some more information on the job I can probably provide more specific feedback.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Letmebefrank posted:

Thanks for the info! It helped me to think it properly prepare for this. After 4h of back-to-back interviews, I would say that I am quite happy how it went. Now they are interviewing couple of more candidates still, and will tell me results after a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear! Happy to answer more questions about university hiring, too.

(If anyone is ever looking for a good job, university administration!!!!!)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Does anyone work in a senior client/customer success role and open to a few PM'd questions?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

In the future I wouldn’t put in notice until you sign an offer and go through any background checks

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

And half of the country just got hammered with storms

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Haven't put in notice just yet, that's why I want the offer letter, so I can be sure to be ready on the day we agreed

Ahh that makes more sense. Yea first day back from a holiday and a ton of storms

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

if your GPA was better your last two years you can list 'major GPA' instead of just 'GPA' if that tells a better story.

personally I hate 'skills' sections, but you should lead with the most relevant skills, not foreign languages

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I am a somewhat senior customer success person (who transitioned from academia) and the things I look for in a resume for an entry level position are: evidence of working with people, communication skills, evidence of analytical thinking, evidence of attention to detail, and an understanding that its a client facing service role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Trickortreat posted:

Thanks for the constructive feedback! I've updated my resume and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I've fired up my job hunting spread sheet and started the process of applying. I really appreciate all of y'alls help!

These are some really great tips! I did some research about what it takes to become a successful customer success person (try saying that three times fast), and tried to figure out which of my skill sets carried over. If you have a moment, would you mind giving me some feedback on my resume? I would really appreciate some feedback from someone who is well established in the industry. What would your thoughts be if this came in through your inbox? I tried to throw in some industry terminology- does it sound natural?

This part reads a bit clunky to me: "increase perceived value and reduce churn."

I think what you're really saying is

"Oversaw a caseload of [x clients], focused on [some words to describe a positive experience/interaction]"

Do you have any specific metrics of customer experience/how well you performed you can reference/outcomes??

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 19, 2022