Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Well, after 8 years in a niche state regulatory position I've decided to dust off the ol' resume writing skills to apply for a job in ...a different (but slightly related) niche state regulatory position. Ah yes, the riveting world of the state government.

"Describe your knowledge of the basic principles and concepts associated with environmental issues and systems."

What the gently caress am I supposed to say to this. For this job i know that they probably want something like "I understand the water cycle and how sometimes naughty chemicals get dissolved and enter that cycle." But asking about 'environmental issues and systems' is just so goddamn broad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CarForumPoster posted:

I kinda like that they’re honest about it, it gives credibility to the other things. If I was hiring for PHP I’d think maybe not but for the other stuff, I’d believe them more. This might be a hot take tho.

Yea agree

Remember though that he's prob going to need to clear some lowest common denominators. That's where humility and self-awareness backfire.

I downplay myself constantly and every friend/mentor/coach has made some version of that point.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Well, after 8 years in a niche state regulatory position I've decided to dust off the ol' resume writing skills to apply for a job in ...a different (but slightly related) niche state regulatory position. Ah yes, the riveting world of the state government.

"Describe your knowledge of the basic principles and concepts associated with environmental issues and systems."

What the gently caress am I supposed to say to this. For this job i know that they probably want something like "I understand the water cycle and how sometimes naughty chemicals get dissolved and enter that cycle." But asking about 'environmental issues and systems' is just so goddamn broad

Is this agency an environmental related one?

Idk about state hiring questions but I’d take the question as chance to talk about the major environmental projects or issues in the office/area you’ll be joining.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

quote:

Discussion about including "some" skills
Ended up keeping this because I was worried about only having Python and SQL on the top of key skills. A lot of jobs look for people with exposure to multiple languages, plus I can make my resume pop with keywords while still communicating proficiency.

Lockback posted:

good stuff

What's your BA in? It is pretty glaring that you don't mention. I'd usually lean toward including it.

It's better for sure though. I think it flowed reasonably well. What job are you looking for next?

BA is not a STEM degree. I wasn't including it because a lot of places list CS/EE/Whatever as required. It seemed like it could only hurt me.

Ideally I would very much like to be more focused on more backend development rather than just data. Current company is restructuring so I may not have that luxury and may be better off with the easiest sell (current title, data engineer)

Thanks for the thoughts again. I've added some improvements and am happy with this version. I reverted the project view back into a singular list per company. I think it's a lot easier to order by business impact this way. The only thing I lose is a title bump, but one bump after a few years made it difficult to have the big business impacts pop.

Thanks again all
Final version: https://i.imgur.com/WSsao26.png

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 8, 2021

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, it's a sub-department of the environmental quality division. I guess I don't have a question since I understand how to tailor a response, I just want to bitch about this vague rear end question since this job would actually be a pretty dope move for me and I don't know how to express myself since I'm allergic to sincerity

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

John Cenas Jorts posted:

I just want to bitch about this vague rear end question since this job would actually be a pretty dope move for me

Vague rear end-question? :v:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Phraggah posted:

Thanks again all
Final version: https://i.imgur.com/WSsao26.png

Psych and Neuroscience is a real good BA actually. Having it on there helps. Your experience makes "It's not a CS degree" moot. Anywhere that would care is hiring a bunch of lovely people.

This is definitely a huge improvement to the first one you sent.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Yeah, it's a sub-department of the environmental quality division. I guess I don't have a question since I understand how to tailor a response, I just want to bitch about this vague rear end question since this job would actually be a pretty dope move for me and I don't know how to express myself since I'm allergic to sincerity

I've interviewed for them a few times specifically. You'll probably want or need to talk about environmental enforcement, reading and interrupting regulations, elements of a violation, and notice of violation processes. If you've been an inspector before you can harp on those processes, permit reviews, and interpretation of regulations in your resume and interview.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Quackles posted:

Vague rear end-question? :v:

Describe your knowledge of that rear end.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm dealing with some serious scheduling bullshit with a big tech firm. My interviews with them started very early, but they've taken so long to schedule each round that there may be no chance of me considering them, even though I'm a great loving fit and the role looks cool.

If I were to do this again I'd pester the recruiters way more. I made several gentle reminders about the speed at which my other job interviews were overtaking theirs, but I don't think I was insistent enough.

It's a real nightmare for interviewees trying to coordinate the timelines across different companies. There should be some industry standard for this poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I have an ongoing wait that now my entire process has gone 2 months and may go another one. All the interviews are done, but apparently the team is split a little bit and want someone that has my skill set and another skill set that usually aren’t combined together.

I talked with the hiring manager today and he seemed pretty keen on getting me hired but he has to win some people over by showing that the person they think they want doesn’t really exist. I do like how the hiring seems very egalitarian but it does lead to things like this where it gets dragged out wayyyyy long.

I do have another offer probably coming in next week but I’m not super keen on it and want to have the best chance of getting this really long interview/selection job. Until I get a definite no I’ll try to string any additional offers as long as I can.

Was good to hear feedback from the hiring manager, everyone I talked to liked me but some just wanted more of the other experience too. Actually gave me more of a good feeling about it, weirdly.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I need help.

I don’t know where I’m going wrong.

I keep getting 4 or 5 interviews in, and then being told “sorry we are moving forward elsewhere.” I just got SIX zoom calls in, where I had four b2b calls on Tuesday - every person I talked to said I’d be a great for both personality wise and based on my resume, all four of them added me on LinkedIn..and then a rejection

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pillowpants posted:

I need help.

I don’t know where I’m going wrong.

I keep getting 4 or 5 interviews in, and then being told “sorry we are moving forward elsewhere.” I just got SIX zoom calls in, where I had four b2b calls on Tuesday - every person I talked to said I’d be a great for both personality wise and based on my resume, all four of them added me on LinkedIn..and then a rejection

So this is a good problem, not a bad one. You're coming down to the final 2-3. It doesn't matter how good you are in a vacuum here, if they only have 1 job and 3 candidates 2 people are getting rejections regardless of how well they do.

Couple questions/thoughts:

1. Is there a specific point you are getting dropped? Are they negotiating salary or terms of anything?

2. Are you putting forth a number or not at any point?

3. Are these remote jobs? Do you think you're going against people who'd be in office?

4. These fed jobs or somewhere that you think you're fighting for a higher end position against internal candidates?

Just tossing a bunch of stuff out there. Most likely it's not anything in particular, you're just losing a coin toss.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Are you the guy with a bankruptcy and a defamation settlement on your background check? If so it may be that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are you the guy with a bankruptcy and a defamation settlement on your background check? If so it may be that.

Oh poo poo, yeah background checks. Especially if you're interviewing now at a certain level (particularly management). That isn't done until the very end.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Since the issue, I’ve told everyone up front about it and it hasn’t been a problem.

These are all remote positions. I’m applying for payroll manager roles which is what I do now.

Regarding salary - i know the range and the market in, because of my job. All of the roles are 100-120

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 9, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Being upfront is the right call, but you might be getting spiked by someone who isn't part of the interview process until the very end. No other advice than keep at it unless you can get something expunged.

If your salary and such is inline then you're fine there, I doubt coming down on that would help honestly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you may tell people up front and it won't be a problem but if it comes down to a coin flip in other regards I'm pickin the guy without the money problems to handle payroll

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

Being upfront is the right call, but you might be getting spiked by someone who isn't part of the interview process until the very end.

Yeah it's this.

Sorry to have to deal a harsh truth to you here OP, but you're not going to get a payroll job worth getting as long as that bankruptcy is on your background check. You might have to think about a career shift.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Or look at very small shops who might not have the same kind of impersonal HR that would do something like that. But those shops also probably won't pay as much or have a need for someone specifically at payroll, so it might mean a more generic OPs position.

I don't think its impossible, but yeah. But out of 5 late-rejections I'd guess at least 3-4 of them were from a background check by some HR person who follows a flowchart of "If Bankrupcty then tell hiring manager to go with choice 2"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Agree that if he wants to try to stay in finance then his best bet is to stick to companies small enough that you get to meet the head of HR in person and the last interview is with the owner.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Yea, sorry OP - and not to be harsh - but something isn't adding up. I think its probably spiking you on the backend when something gets sent to HR for a final sign off and someone you never spoke to cans it. Also did you give context on the defamation judgement? That would be as much of a red flag as the bankruptcy to me. Also are you the poster who got demoted at their old job?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I totally get what you guys are saying - but the background/credit checks arent done during the interview process. They're done after you sign an offer letter and sign off on the check.

This would only show up on the credit check - assuming a company runs them. I'm not sure if the lawsuit would show up since I won that anyways.

In that case, I'd expect to get torpedoed after signing the letter.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

I totally get what you guys are saying - but the background/credit checks arent done during the interview process. They're done after you sign an offer letter and sign off on the check.

This would only show up on the credit check - assuming a company runs them. I'm not sure if the lawsuit would show up since I won that anyways.

You’re telling them upfront about the bankruptcy. It could be someone brushing it off at early stages who doesn’t have the authority to do so, but then when you’re more of a serious candidate then it comes up to the decision makers and they say no (or go with the other candidate.)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Upgrade posted:

You’re telling them upfront about the bankruptcy. It could be someone brushing it off at early stages who doesn’t have the authority to do so, but then when you’re more of a serious candidate then it comes up to the decision makers and they say no (or go with the other candidate.)

Ah good point

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pillowpants posted:

I'd be careful with this assumption. We do background checks before the offer, same time as reference checks, to avoid having to pull it later.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the one company did it that way but that doesn't mean all companies do OP. It's pretty normal for a company to run background/credit checks on their handful of finalists before deciding who to offer.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah the one company did it that way but that doesn't mean all companies do OP. It's pretty normal for a company to run background/credit checks on their handful of finalists before deciding who to offer.

Don't you need to give permission for them to run the checks though? So conceivably you'd know they're checking. (Or at least, I've always given permission in jobs I've interviewed for)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Upgrade posted:

Don't you need to give permission for them to run the checks though? So conceivably you'd know they're checking. (Or at least, I've always given permission in jobs I've interviewed for)

Yeah I mean they can’t run a credit check without permission as far as I know.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Omne posted:

I'd be careful with this assumption. We do background checks before the offer, same time as reference checks, to avoid having to pull it later.

This is how I do them. I also check fed bankruptcy courts and federal/local litigation history before the letter, though I often make a verbal offer at the same time.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Upgrade posted:

Yeah, FCRA requires permission/consent of the candidate to run a background check. What we were pointing out was that it's not always true that the background check is after an offer is made.

In this case, you're either dealing with getting beat by other candidates at the final stages, or HR/the final decision maker sees the note about the bankruptcy and decides to not move forward. Either way it sucks, but the first one you can at least get past with more chances. The second, not so much. Hiring managers can look past negative things in a candidate profile if they're unrelated to the functions of the job, but like you won't hire a delivery driver with DUIs on their record, I can see how a company wouldn't want to hire something with a bankruptcy to handle their payroll. Sure, circumstances are always different, but with multiple good candidates, why take that chance?

Omne fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 9, 2021

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an econ major who is hoping to get a job in my field. My resume is ok but it's very "soft". What could I do to make it more appealing to employers?

https://imgur.com/a/Q9s2FIk

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm an econ major who is hoping to get a job in my field. My resume is ok but it's very "soft". What could I do to make it more appealing to employers?

Since your job experience isn’t relevant lead with your skills and software experience.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CarForumPoster posted:

This is how I do them. I also check fed bankruptcy courts and federal/local litigation history before the letter, though I often make a verbal offer at the same time.

Out of curiosity because I know you're a small shop. Obviously the big boys use Experian or HireRight or whatever, are you doing these checks manually yourself?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inner Light posted:

Out of curiosity because I know you're a small shop. Obviously the big boys use Experian or HireRight or whatever, are you doing these checks manually yourself?

We do fed litigation so its NBD to use PACER for fed searches, then we use the court local to where the person lives to search manually. My best find so far is someone who was charged with assaulting their parents 18 mo ago and the case is still ongoing with a criminal complaint that looks very bad for them! Easy reason to cancel an interview. (I just say we have moved to the next step and they weren't selected.)

I use Checkr for background checks. Checkr is integrated through rippling which is what we use to do payroll, onboard and assign hardware (though I'm not a huge fan of it)

We don't do credit checks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

Upgrade posted:

Since your job experience isn’t relevant lead with your skills and software experience.

Agree.

This is pretty good for a new grad though. What kinda roles are you targeting?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Is it weird to call a company recruiter? I've had two email me to check my availability for an interview and I never heard back after I let them know. Sent them a follow up email and never heard anything. Is it weird to call and make sure I didn't get sent to a spam filter or something?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

MrLogan posted:

Is it weird to call a company recruiter? I've had two email me to check my availability for an interview and I never heard back after I let them know. Sent them a follow up email and never heard anything. Is it weird to call and make sure I didn't get sent to a spam filter or something?

It's a numbers game and they've likely moved on already

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got asked to do a second round interview but they only gave me three possible time slots. I'm extremely loving busy this week and none really works with my existing obligations. Am I out of line to ask for a different time? Would it hurt me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I got asked to do a second round interview but they only gave me three possible time slots. I'm extremely loving busy this week and none really works with my existing obligations. Am I out of line to ask for a different time? Would it hurt me?

I say I have meetings during those time and then send them a screenshot of my outlook calendar to show them when I am available.

Never seems to be an issue.