Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Additionally, Firefly's segment served to begin the partnership between Batman and Gordon.

Firefly's segment of the game had so many great things about it. It's probably the only part of Origins I can replay multiple times without getting bored.
The bridge section was easily my favorite part as well. It was one of the few times where I was thinking that The Goddamn Batman is the only person who could possibly salvage this situation, and he only barely squeaks by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Fargin Icehole posted:

Almost all of my posts here have been about arkham Origins bugs, and my dude is still hanging out somewhere in the Ether because I picked a room with a datapack at "My Alibi".

I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of restarting my original game to get the disarm combo again.

Just use a trainer to teleport back.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah from the minute that final confrontation with Joker begins in Asylum it was pretty obvious that the writing isn't Rocksteady's strong point. Maybe we'll be lucky and they got whoever wrote Warner Bros. Montreal's installment involved in Arkham Knight. City's story was pretty dumb too but Asylum was even worse because the first half of it or so is pretty intense as you learn more about the back room dealings that allowed for Joker to access and get work done on new venom and stuff. So it's an even bigger letdown when the final boss is what it is. It was even worse if you had the game on PS3 because of how awesome normal Joker's moves are in his challenge maps.

I'm so confused- the writing of Origins was offensively terrible and filled with plotholes and non-sequiturs. Asylum had a weak ending(and weak final boss), but everything else was very tight. City was even better. What exactly do people object to in these games? Why would they think Origins was well-written?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
City
Tightly written

My sides.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Two guns, bitch!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Batman: Arkham How Many Villains Can We Cram Into the Game Also Catwoman I Guess

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Asylum is still my favorite. I feel the story and action are the most focused beat for beat of the three games and besides a couple of lamedick boss fights (Asylum's one real flaw) it was pretty much the best Batman feeling experience for me right up until Joker shot himself with the dart gun and we got another limp boss fight and a really off ending compared to the build-up. (Although that explosive gel punch was pretty hype)

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

The bridge section was easily my favorite part as well. It was one of the few times where I was thinking that The Goddamn Batman is the only person who could possibly salvage this situation, and he only barely squeaks by.

I wish I could have enjoyed the bridge sequence like you guys :( I felt Origins had hit its peak after the whole Joker telling his backstory deal, and everything that came after it felt weak in comparison.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Discendo Vox posted:

Asylum had a weak ending(and weak final boss), but everything else was very tight. City was even better.

City is actually a bit sloppy when you pause to look at it closely.

* If Catwoman was able to get free, why did she let Two Face come close to killing her with that acid? It's not like she's not used to fighting a large number of thugs, and actually does so in her DLC.

* Catwoman says there are rumors that Strange and Joker are working together, but there are no rumors of Strange and Penguin working together despite Penguin having superior weapons to Joker.

* The end of the game reveals that the Joker who appeared as "Deceased" in the chair was the real one. It's never explained how he tricks Detective Mode.

* Why does Batman keep being a dick to the people he needs help from? In Arkham Asylum, he antagonizes Poison Ivy when he was planning on stopping the Joker, which would've helped Ivy's plants and possibly prevented her from being antagonistic towards him that night. In this game, he takes it further by jerking Freeze around after he got cooked alive in an oven and then rips the life support system out of his chest and spills some of it on the floor. Wouldn't it have just been easier to explain that he could save Nora if he had the cure? Or that Freeze would be in a better position to do it if Batman could get his equipment back from Freeze? Instead, he just mentions Freeze looks unwell or something.

* How did Robin get into Arkham City if the perimeter wall has mounted guns and the TYGER Guards are supposed to be vigilant enough to watch out for Batman and his allies?

* How are Joker's thugs able to explore Old Gotham if Batman needs the Line Launcher and a glider cape to get around?

* Why does Batman insist on working alone while poisoned and having near death experiences? He could have at least called in Nightwing while Robin handled the blood stuff.

* Ra's al Ghul wants Batman to kill him and take over for him. Wouldn't that mean that Batman would be Strange's master?

* Why does Mr. Freeze destroy the only thing that could keep Batman healthy enough to save his wife?

* So neither Batman nor anyone in Joker's gang found it odd that Harley Quinn was tied up and gagged in the middle of the Steel Mill?

* For that matter, why didn't Talia kill Harley considering all her dialogue about wiping the scum of humanity clean?

* Why didn't Talia just stab "the Joker" and save Batman from under those rocks if she knew he was dying and had the cure?

* Why does Joker win if Catwoman doesn't save Batman? How did his goons survive Protocol 10 and outgun TYGER? Was Strange really dumb enough to supply Joker with weapons that are superior to TYGER's?

* Strange say he's untouchable when he says no one is untouchable at the beginning of the game? For that matter, why does he act so smug when he never does anything? He sees a distress flare and assumes it's Bruce Wayne instead of having a TYGER force investigate. He sees the Identity Thief's murders and doesn't care about what's happening. Several things happen over the course of Arkham City, but Hugo never does anything to try to maintain his control. He just sits back and assumes that everything will work out.

* Why does it only take Oracle seconds after plugging into Strange's machinery to shut down Protocol 10? He spent a year planning and Batman could've taken him down in three seconds at any time had he not been sidetracked?

* Why is there even a cancellation signal for Protocol 10 if it's the culmination of Strange's work?

* If Strange has a Batsuit like it says in Riddler's tapes, why didn't he put it on and fight Batman if he's in such physically great shape rather than just letting Bruce headbutt him in the face and toss him around the room?

* How in the world did Strange, influence of Ra's al Ghul or not, expect to continuously create a bunch of Arkham Cities around the world, throw in any protestors to his plan, claim that the inmates magically got hold of firearms, missile strike the place, and then make new Arkham Cities elsewhere? Wouldn't Arkham City be seen as incapable after a certain point? Especially since they would result in the death of several minor criminals, people who have done their jail time, or innocent people?

* Why doesn't Talia's elite guard actually guard Talia? From the moment they show up to the end of the game, they only appear around her in one scene in Wonder City, and that's after they return from scouring the city.

* How does Joker know that the area that Batman and Clayface are fighting in is the Lazarus Pit? If Talia never saw the real Joker and Clayface had her hostage the whole time, how did he know that was one? Did he just guess?

* Why did Batman say he would save Joker when earlier in the plot he said he didn't care if both he and the Joker died? Ever since then, Joker only got worse and killed more people just to try to inconvenience or hurt Batman, so what incentive did he have to save him?

* Bane is described as a strategist and a master planner in-game. Despite this, he tells Batman the exact number of TITAN containers in the City, outright says before his co-op fight that he collected the TITAN, shows Batman that he's collected the rest of the TITAN rather than lying and saying that he destroyed it or at least storing it somewhere safe until Batman left, tries to kill Batman by telling him that he's going to kill him, tries to kill Batman by running at him even though that failed in Arkham Asylum, and gets caught in a part of his own lair.

* Mad Hatter is able to hypnotize Batman into believing that a tea set is the cure for his TITAN poisoning without making contact with him.

* Mad Hatter's side mission makes no sense when the main story is over, because Batman is already cured.

* Why didn't Deadshot shoot Batman instead of that political prisoner when he had the chance?

* Deadshot's side mission makes no sense after the main story is over due to Strange being dead and unable to pay him. Additionally, I doubt he would've been inclined to continue to work for Strange after he got shot at with missiles during Protocol 10.

* Batman is unable to prove that he is not the Identity Thief in the second incident, but doesn't call backup from Robin or Nightwing to verify that he doesn't hurt more people if he is the killer.

* How did Hush leave Arkham City in the span of five seconds?

* How did Hush leave Arkham City looking like Bruce Wayne, the guy a number of inmates want to hold hostage and the guy that TYGER and Strange would want captured at all costs?

* Batman not going after Hush makes no sense after the main story is over.

* Batman tells Azrael that he doesn't believe in fairy tales when the latter tells him about a prophecy, despite the fact that Batman has fought an immortal zombie that was revived ala Frankenstein, frequently fights against a guy who revives himself from death by hopping into a chemical bath, and frequently fights against metahumans like Clayface and Poison Ivy who have strange and unusual powers.

* How do the doctors Riddler places near the Steel Mill manage to get back to the church and over the destroyed bridge?

* Poison Ivy and Catwoman argue about the fact that the latter didn't water some plants over the course of time it takes for Batman to get poisoned by Joker, infiltrate the museum, save some hostages, take down Penguin's gang, follow a ninja into the ruins of Old Gotham, take the Demon Trials, fight Ra's al Ghul, fly back to the GCPD, fight Mr. Freeze and infiltrate the Steel Mill.

* Why does Two Face run from the museum after Catwoman beats him rather than try to pull his gang together? Aside from Black Mask, he was the only remaining gang leader and could've still managed to take control of Arkham City if he hadn't fled. Sure, he lost face due to getting beaten by Catwoman, but it's not like Two Face has never been taken down by a vigilante before.

* Why does Riddler leave trophies around Arkham City for Catwoman? What incentive does she have to pick them up?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 7, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fuckin' wooooords

I believe the answer you're looking for is 'Comic Books'.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

True, but the point I was making was that there were several points of City where I was taken out of the story by things that generally seemed weird or nonsensical, a problem I didn't have with Asylum (until the ending, anyway).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I didn't have any problem with the writing of Origins outside of some of the Bane stuff being weak as hell. City annoyed me more since everything involving Catwoman tended to be awful and downright over the top misogynistic. It was uncomfortable playing as her.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

City is actually a bit sloppy when you pause to look at it closely.

Thats one hell of a rebuttal. I dont particularly care about plotholes and stuff, but still Origins is far better than City. The story flowed a lot better with more natural villains and even had actual character development over the course of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

True, but the point I was making was that there were several points of City where I was taken out of the story by things that generally seemed weird or nonsensical, a problem I didn't have with Asylum (until the ending, anyway).

You didn't have a problem with Asylum's plot? The plot where the basic premise is "let's use crazy super steroids as something to help criminally insane supervillains?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I agree. While Origins did have its own plotholes ("Oh no, Electrocutioner escaped. I should've tied him up when I had the chance. I'll just forget this lesson when I fight Deathstroke in a few minutes, though."), the dialogue felt much more natural than the previous games and it was like seeing a comic book like The Long Halloween come to life.

Granted, I do wish they bothered to explain or go more in-depth about some things, like what happened to Alberto Falcone after Batman interrupted Penguin's meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

You didn't have a problem with Asylum's plot? The plot where the basic premise is "let's use crazy super steroids as something to help criminally insane supervillains?"

Asylum's plot was that Dr. Young intended to use TITAN to help strengthen the bodies of patients undergoing surgeries that they wouldn't be able to withstand normally, from what I understand. Joker just went further with it and turned it into a serum that turned people into the Hulk.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I agree. While Origins did have its own plotholes ("Oh no, Electrocutioner escaped. I should've tied him up when I had the chance. I'll just forget this lesson when I fight Deathstroke in a few minutes, though.")

Hard to say, he does actually says he tied up Slade after the fight. And he does get picked up by the GCPD and thrown in Blackgate by game's end.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think we all know we'll be fighting a Hulked-out Arkham Knight at the end, right?

I mean, Roid Rage TITAN Joker, giant Clayface, Roid-Rage TITAN Bane...it only makes sense that Arkham Knight probably has some sort of drug or mechanical suit that makes him larger and you will have to constantly punch, run away, punch, run away, punch, run away, punch run away...etc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Hard to say, he does actually says he tied up Slade after the fight. And he does get picked up by the GCPD and thrown in Blackgate by game's end.

I know Slade got caught, but it really seems like he just knocked him out and left him laying on the floor.

I know he ties up all of the assassins after Slade, though.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think we all know we'll be fighting a Hulked-out Arkham Knight at the end, right?

I mean, Roid Rage TITAN Joker, giant Clayface, Roid-Rage TITAN Bane...it only makes sense that Arkham Knight probably has some sort of drug or mechanical suit that makes him larger and you will have to constantly punch, run away, punch, run away, punch, run away, punch run away...etc.

That'd be kinda lame. They should end it like MGS4. A straight, hand-to-hand fight with someone that matches Batman's skills.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

Neo Rasa posted:

I believe so, doesn't mean they're any good. It often happens with games though when they get a real novelist/tv writer/etc., the writer might have some good ideas and a halfway decent script but once game developers mangle that into a playable form, I mean remember when Gears of War was listed as a "tactical military horror" game?

Well, I know it isn't Rocksteady, but Origins had a really good story. It also happened to be the first one without Dini writing the plot...

I dunno if Dini is involved or not, but if he isn't, I might have a tad more hope for it (no offense to Dini, he just doesn't know how to write video games I guess).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Dini is incredibly hit or miss period, especially in the last 5 years. Honestly, it's probably for the best that's he's off; no clue who's replacing him, but both Asylum and City had three writers if you count Dini. I think Origins had two, but they both worked together on Assassin's Creed 2 or something (another game with a solid character arc and probably one of the better written ones, if you focus on Ezio's story).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Let's go down the list. :words: time! This isn't meant as combative in any way, but I really do think the game has responses to almost all your points.
  • If Catwoman was able to get free, why did she let Two Face come close to killing her with that acid? It's not like she's not used to fighting a large number of thugs, and actually does so in her DLC.
    We can safely assume Catwoman was planning to escape until Batman arrived. For much of the time up until that point she has both had a gun to her head and is surrounded by mooks. She would still have died in the end if batman didn't stop Two-Face's second gun.

• Catwoman says there are rumors that Strange and Joker are working together, but there are no rumors of Strange and Penguin working together despite Penguin having superior weapons to Joker.
    Penguin is established as having already stockpiled weapons and resources in the Iceberg lounge, which was his base of operations before Arkham City was built around it.

• The end of the game reveals that the Joker who appeared as "Deceased" in the chair was the real one. It's never explained how he tricks Detective Mode.
    Valid, unless they stopped his heart for a bit. Gosh, stopping the heart to fake death, that sounds familiar...

• Why does Batman keep being a dick to the people he needs help from? In Arkham Asylum, he antagonizes Poison Ivy when he was planning on stopping the Joker, which would've helped Ivy's plants and possibly prevented her from being antagonistic towards him that night. In this game, he takes it further by jerking Freeze around after he got cooked alive in an oven and then rips the life support system out of his chest and spills some of it on the floor. Wouldn't it have just been easier to explain that he could save Nora if he had the cure? Or that Freeze would be in a better position to do it if Batman could get his equipment back from Freeze? Instead, he just mentions Freeze looks unwell or something.
    Batman in the Arkham games avoids bargaining with or rationalizing with villains at all costs-it validates their motivations and gives them power. His attempts to do so in AC toward the end of the plotline are meant to indicate how dire the situation has become.

• How did Robin get into Arkham City if the perimeter wall has mounted guns and the TYGER Guards are supposed to be vigilant enough to watch out for Batman and his allies?
    The perimeter isn't actually a problem- Batman can also get out of Arkham. He's choosing not to.

• How are Joker's thugs able to explore Old Gotham if Batman needs the Line Launcher and a glider cape to get around?
    Joker's thugs always appear in positions accessible from the surface, either directly or via Tyger doors they have been given access to.

• Why does Batman insist on working alone while poisoned and having near death experiences? He could have at least called in Nightwing while Robin handled the blood stuff.
    Nightwing doesn't appear in AC. If he exists, he's in Bludhaven and plot-irrelevant.

• Ra's al Ghul wants Batman to kill him and take over for him. Wouldn't that mean that Batman would be Strange's master?
    Ra's is trying to pit Batman and Strange against one another. It's not that one is the master of the other- it's that one wins, and that's the one Ra's is interested in. Ra's is really rooting for Batman the whole time, though. He's mostly using the Arkham City setup to establish a new Pit to feed his addiction and as a giant, burning powerpoint for why he is right about humanity and Batman is wrong.

• Why does Mr. Freeze destroy the only thing that could keep Batman healthy enough to save his wife?
    Freeze is crazy. Joker has his wife. He believes the best way to get her back is to let Batman die and do what Joker wants.

• So neither Batman nor anyone in Joker's gang found it odd that Harley Quinn was tied up and gagged in the middle of the Steel Mill?
    Joker's gang can't access the location Harley Quinn is tied up at. I believe she is meant to be an Easter Egg, since the fastest route through the Mill goes under her, not past her.

• For that matter, why didn't Talia kill Harley considering all her dialogue about wiping the scum of humanity clean?
    Talia doesn't know where Batman is, and is trying to find and save him.

• Why didn't Talia just stab "the Joker" and save Batman from under those rocks if she knew he was dying and had the cure?
    Talia doesn't think she can take the Joker one on one unless he's distracted. When she arrives, the Joker has Batman at his mercy. She's counting on distracting the Joker long enough for Batman to recover. There also may be an interaction with Ra's implied- I need to study that part of the game again.

• Why does Joker win if Catwoman doesn't save Batman? How did his goons survive Protocol 10 and outgun TYGER? Was Strange really dumb enough to supply Joker with weapons that are superior to TYGER's?
    First off, almost all the inmates getting killed by the first part of Protocol 10 are the gang-unaffiliated guys who don't have access to shelter. In particular, it's shown that a bunch of Joker's men are hiding in the sewers and subways. Joker will get access to the Lazarus Pits unless Batman stops him. Strange is counting on the later parts of Protocol 10, which presumably involve a sweep of the city to clear and kill the inmates who survived the bombardment. This is presumably a workable plan, until you dip the Joker in a material that makes people super insane and gives them incredible powers of regeneration. Note that Strange has no idea the Lazarus Pit exists.

• Strange says he's untouchable when he says no one is untouchable at the beginning of the game? For that matter, why does he act so smug when he never does anything? He sees a distress flare and assumes it's Bruce Wayne instead of having a TYGER force investigate. He sees the Identity Thief's murders and doesn't care about what's happening. Several things happen over the course of Arkham City, but Hugo never does anything to try to maintain his control. He just sits back and assumes that everything will work out.
    Strange is really, really crazy. He's effectively convinced he has already won for pretty much the entire plot of the game. His messy fugue state belief that he is replacing/superior to batman via his grand master plan is only really fulfilled in his own mind if he doesn't have to do anything- if Protocol 10 is enough to erase Batman from existence and relevance at the same time. A large part of the point of Strange is that he's a puppet for the League- that for all his intelligence and control, his obsession makes him delusional and unable to function. This is common to later depictions of Strange in the comics, btw, and is where the whole dressup routine comes from.

• Why does it only take Oracle seconds after plugging into Strange's machinery to shut down Protocol 10? He spent a year planning and Batman could've taken him down in three seconds at any time had he not been sidetracked?
    Batman is plugging Oracle directly into the central command center at the core of the entire Tyger network.

• Why is there even a cancellation signal for Protocol 10 if it's the culmination of Strange's work?
    Valid. Possibly related to why Strange was sane enough to have a Protocol 11.

• If Strange has a Batsuit like it says in Riddler's tapes, why didn't he put it on and fight Batman if he's in such physically great shape rather than just letting Bruce headbutt him in the face and toss him around the room?
    I would have loved this so much! That said, Strange is in great physical shape, but he isn't indicated to have any actual combat training.

• How in the world did Strange, influence of Ra's al Ghul or not, expect to continuously create a bunch of Arkham Cities around the world, throw in any protestors to his plan, claim that the inmates magically got hold of firearms, missile strike the place, and then make new Arkham Cities elsewhere? Wouldn't Arkham City be seen as incapable after a certain point? Especially since they would result in the death of several minor criminals, people who have done their jail time, or innocent people?
    Strange is insane. So, importantly, is Ra's, but Ra's is also basically the anti-Koch brothers. Given the implausibility of the original Arkahm City, it's not out of the question that others would emerge- especially if it's part of Ra's broader plan to work toward a global human extinction event.

• Why doesn't Talia's elite guard actually guard Talia? From the moment they show up to the end of the game, they only appear around her in one scene in Wonder City, and that's after they return from scouring the city.
    She presumably ordered them away, or Ra's did. They actually will continue appearing in Wonder City in random encounters, BTW.

• How does Joker know that the area that Batman and Clayface are fighting in is the Lazarus Pit? If Talia never saw the real Joker and Clayface had her hostage the whole time, how did he know that was one? Did he just guess?
    Jokerface had an extended amount of time with Talia before Batman returns from Wonder Tower- enough time to take her hostage. It's clear from his other knowledge that Talia explained way too much about the whole process. Talia seriously underestimates the Joker.

• Why did Batman say he would save Joker when earlier in the plot he said he didn't care if both he and the Joker died? Ever since then, Joker only got worse and killed more people just to try to inconvenience or hurt Batman, so what incentive did he have to save him?
    I can't find this line in the script- maybe refresh my memory? If you're referring to the point immediately after injection, this is a continuation of not letting villains dictate terms, no matter the circumstances. This is a reference to The Killing Joke, like a lot of other things in the game. This is subverted and paralleled using Talia at the end of the game, as Batman bargains with, and then relies upon, his enemies.

• Bane is described as a strategist and a master planner in-game. Despite this, he tells Batman the exact number of TITAN containers in the City, outright says before his co-op fight that he collected the TITAN, shows Batman that he's collected the rest of the TITAN rather than lying and saying that he destroyed it or at least storing it somewhere safe until Batman left, tries to kill Batman by telling him that he's going to kill him, tries to kill Batman by running at him even though that failed in Arkham Asylum, and gets caught in a part of his own lair.
    Bane in AC is not the Bane of AO- he's had the rough equivalent of like 5 strokes since then, between the initial Titan exposure at the end of Origins and the experimentation/overdose he received in AA. He's brain damaged and in the thrall of late stage addiction.

• Mad Hatter is able to hypnotize Batman into believing that a tea set is the cure for his TITAN poisoning without making contact with him.
    This is what Hatter's Hat does. The masks amplify the effect, but he doesn't need them to introduce suggestions. This is also why he's able to make the clock work in Origins. (coindicentally, Hatter in City has a skeleton- why the hell didn't they import it for AO?) Hatter in the Arkhamverse would be one of the most dangerous/powerful people on the planet if he weren't insane. This is a running theme in the series.

• Mad Hatter's side mission makes no sense when the main story is over, because Batman is already cured.
    This is true for a bunch of side stories. Ludonarrative dissonance.

• Why didn't Deadshot shoot Batman instead of that political prisoner when he had the chance?
    Deadshot is defined by being an idiot who takes stupid chances because he has a death wish. He's also working to a strict timetable and schedule. The political prisoner is Jack Ryder- the next person on the schedule.

• Deadshot's side mission makes no sense after the main story is over due to Strange being dead and unable to pay him. Additionally, I doubt he would've been inclined to continue to work for Strange after he got shot at with missiles during Protocol 10.
    See above.

• Batman is unable to prove that he is not the Identity Thief in the second incident, but doesn't call backup from Robin or Nightwing to verify that he doesn't hurt more people if he is the killer.
    He doesn't think he needs to because he knows he isn't. For Batman, it would be a waste of time and effort. Also see the Robin/Nightwing answer above.

• How did Hush leave Arkham City in the span of five seconds?
    IIRC, Hush can only be completed after the story ends. He just has to do his Bruce Wayne impression.

• How did Hush leave Arkham City looking like Bruce Wayne, the guy a number of inmates want to hold hostage and the guy that TYGER and Strange would want captured at all costs?
    See above. It's also established that Hush has been an effective serial killer for some time, and is also psychotically obsessed.

• Batman not going after Hush makes no sense after the main story is over.
    Ludonarrative dissonance. Hush is a low priority compared to anything else Batman needs to do in Arkham, particularly since all other members of the bat-family are on notice that he's an impostor.

• Batman tells Azrael that he doesn't believe in fairy tales when the latter tells him about a prophecy, despite the fact that Batman has fought an immortal zombie that was revived ala Frankenstein, frequently fights against a guy who revives himself from death by hopping into a chemical bath, and frequently fights against metahumans like Clayface and Poison Ivy who have strange and unusual powers.
    A combination of not giving Azrael bargaining power over him (consistent with Batman's interaction with other villains), and that the other characters have quasi-plausible explanations that are not prophecy related, even at their most mystical. (Don't ask me to explain how Batman has fought Grundy before. I got no clue about the portable games and how their plots sync up with this.)

• How do the doctors Riddler places near the Steel Mill manage to get back to the church and over the destroyed bridge?
    Valid. It's also an issue for other goons. It's implied they have some way to do it- possibly by scrambling through the condemned buildings- but that it's really unpleasant. PRactically speaking, this was probably an oversight that was caused by placing the Riddler rooms into the map late in the game, and only then realizing the transportation issue.

• Poison Ivy and Catwoman argue about the fact that the latter didn't water some plants over the course of time it takes for Batman to get poisoned by Joker, infiltrate the museum, save some hostages, take down Penguin's gang, follow a ninja into the ruins of Old Gotham, take the Demon Trials, fight Ra's al Ghul, fly back to the GCPD, fight Mr. Freeze and infiltrate the Steel Mill.
    They're discussing an event that occurred before AC even started- implicitly, whent hey were living together, as a Gotham Girls reference. Ivy is a terrible roommate who holds grudges.

• Why does Two Face run from the museum after Catwoman beats him rather than try to pull his gang together? Aside from Black Mask, he was the only remaining gang leader and could've still managed to take control of Arkham City if he hadn't fled. Sure, he lost face due to getting beaten by Catwoman, but it's not like Two Face has never been taken down by a vigilante before.
    Each time Catwoman beats up Two-Face, he literally loses face- Selina deliberately tears up the pristine side of his face. This has a predictable effect on someone obsessed with his asymmetry.

• Why does Riddler leave trophies around Arkham City for Catwoman? What incentive does she have to pick them up?
    Valid, though I'd argue it was to flesh out the Catwoman exclusive content and not a big deal.

Let me stop for a second here. The plot of AC is intentionally set up according to the rules of a Greek tragedy. All involved actors operate to their best knowledge using imperfect information, to a horrible result. This isn't an accident- it's meant to underscore the inevitability of the tragedy of the final outcome. The repeated parallel missed connections, forcing Batman away from Talia to the tower, the script of AC, sidequests aside, is about setting a group of characters up in a situation where everyone does everything as well as they can, serving their own interests, and no one ends up happy. Their trajectories are inevitable. That's a level of narrative conceit that AO doesn't dream of.

Let me also explain why I think Origins is badly written- it's exhibited in the game's mechanics. All interior locations in Origins are one-way corridors. This doesn't happen in most of AC and AA because the writers were working with the designers to avoid it. There's a reason Protocol 10's rocket attack gives you a convenient new entrance to the steel mill- why a second exit is created for the police office. This sort of integrated plan is wholly absent from Origins.

Let's just raise one plothole from AO that I thought was pretty inexcusable. AO doesn't explain why Bane is compelled to fight Batman to the death. That's kind of an important thing, because it makes most of his actions incomprehensible. For example, it doesn't explain why Bane overdoses on the titan precursor when he has Batman at his mercy. Even knowing the comic book explanation, I still can't tell why Bane did that. Most of the assassins also do things that make no darn sense. I actually don't blame Montreal for this, because there are signs that about a third of the plot got cut after initial asset production had already begun- there are lots of places where the game bends over backwards to deal with the fact that the asset workflows were out of sync. An example of this is the Deathstroke fight. Slade takes out his blade in the cutscene, then immediately puts it away once the engine kicks in. The game is absolutely full of tiny moments like that. Shiva's sidequest is held together with baling wire and hope, and it shows- the mall and Wonder Tower lobby areas look like they were produced in less than a day because they probably were. I'd be really curious to know what the original plan had been. It doesn't excuse the wretched dialogue, though- or the existence of Penguin's "sexy" female assistants, which manage to be almost as misogynistic as the Catwoman stuff without the rape "sub"text. And complaining about shoehorning in villains in AC seems strange when shoehorning in villains was literally the foundation of the AO plot- central and peripheral.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Videotendo posted:

I dunno if Dini is involved or not
He is not, per an article at Game Informer.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Arkham City is an amazing game with a terrible story. Origins not only features a better narrative, it gives Batman the best characterization of the entire series.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
On the topic of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight, I was reading this article about how it works in the game. It sounds interesting, especially since it sounds like they completely retooled the city to make it work, but one thing I don't get is how they are going to prevent people from plowing into folks. Like, if the Batmobile can take down minor obstacles no sweat, what's stopping me from going all Injustice with everyone I meet? That's my only issue with having it playable, really.

Also, I'm kinda sad this confirms that fast travel is out, because holy christ did it suck taking pot shots from baddies. I guess the Batmobile is fast and invulnerable so it's not that big of a deal, but still.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Videotendo posted:

On the topic of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight, I was reading this article about how it works in the game. It sounds interesting, especially since it sounds like they completely retooled the city to make it work, but one thing I don't get is how they are going to prevent people from plowing into folks. Like, if the Batmobile can take down minor obstacles no sweat, what's stopping me from going all Injustice with everyone I meet? That's my only issue with having it playable, really.

Also, I'm kinda sad this confirms that fast travel is out, because holy christ did it suck taking pot shots from baddies. I guess the Batmobile is fast and invulnerable so it's not that big of a deal, but still.

They say the thugs will conveniently dodge out of the way/scatter when the Batmobile shows up, but I wonder if Rocksteady will put in some Venom-Infused thugs just to give players the satisfaction of running over a dude once in a while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd rather not go down the list again, so I'll simply concede the matter on the Arkham City issues. Besides, you raised some good points, though I do feel that the argument that "X is insane" is a bit too easy to try to build off of.

Discendo Vox posted:

Let's just raise one plothole from AO that I thought was pretty inexcusable. AO doesn't explain why Bane is compelled to fight Batman to the death. That's kind of an important thing, because it makes most of his actions incomprehensible. For example, it doesn't explain why Bane overdoses on the titan precursor when he has Batman at his mercy.

Yeah, that always bothered me. It's also really weird that Joker sees Batman as a demonic bat creature rather than Bane.

As for the latter, I would assume that would be because Batman almost killed him, so he figured that he needed to give himself an edge to defeat him. Even if that edge was cutting his IQ into 32nds in exchange for bigger muscles.

Discendo Vox posted:

there are lots of places where the game bends over backwards to deal with the fact that the asset workflows were out of sync. An example of this is the Deathstroke fight. Slade takes out his blade in the cutscene, then immediately puts it away once the engine kicks in.

Come to think of it, didn't Slade already have out one of his katanas when he fired the Remote Claw at Batman and pulled him away from Penguin?

And I recall the window in the chapel in Blackgate being broken during the Joker confrontation, but fixed during the final scene with Gordon.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Every few pages this thread circles back to the Origins vs City debate, and I can't help but chime in again.

Origins is much better at characterization, with actual arcs and proper pacing. Its also VERY derivative of other Batman Origins/Year One type stories, with the ending material with Gordon particularly feeling like a lift from Batman Begins.

City is much messier, but much more ambitious. Its not interested in "adapting" other batman stories - it wants to tell its own story.

And gameplay-wise, I played Origins a month after it was released and it was a loving glitchy mess from beginning to end. At BEST I was dealing with hilarious amounts of slowdown. At its worst I ran into freezes, glitches, audio spikes, and game HINDERING errors that thankfully were fixed with a restart.

Its really :colbert: to say "I didn't encounter any glitches, so I'm going to completely ignore the defeaning chorus of people complaining about it" without sounding like a dick.

And even if they were to patch the everloving poo poo out of Origins, it'd still have that awful level design (Getting back to the police sewers to get an Enigma trophy was my least favorite gaming experience of 2013) and horrendous progression system.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I got lost in the GCPD when I backtracked for some datapackets because I didn't realize you couldn't just use the elevator to go to the roof like Batman did earlier in the story.

On the topic of Arkham Knight, does being unable to run over criminals confirm a lack of a Glue/Freeze Grenade? Because I would totally get out of the Batmobile, immobilize someone with that, and then run them down. :unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 8, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the topic of Arkham Knight, does being unable to run over criminals confirm a lack of a Glue/Freeze Grenade? Because I would totally get out of the Batmobile, immobilize someone with that, and then run them down. :unsmigghh:

If they're smart they'll just have all your gadgets wear off/everyone bust out after you hop back in the car.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet they have a room dedicated to thinking up ideas so people can't go on a drunken death streak on the batmobile.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So no grappling thugs as you drive by? :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

So no grappling thugs as you drive by? :(
Go play Just Cause 2 if you want to be a complete rear end in a top hat with guns and a grappling hook and an open world sandbox to mutilate people in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This will be GOTY if they let you play as Arkham Knight or Red Hood or Alfred in the post game with all the safety measures unlocked. Freezing dudes so you can run them over, population of the city's back to normal so you can Saints Row some dudes, take off the 'rubber' bullets and abuse the mounted machine gun, pour explosive gel on the streets, grappling dudes and dragging them around, getting into races and bataraanging the wheels before crashing them to send them off to their death and a horn that honks "I'M BATMAN!"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So you basically want Batman GTA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This will be GOTY if they let you play as Arkham Knight or Red Hood or Alfred in the post game with all the safety measures unlocked. Freezing dudes so you can run them over, population of the city's back to normal so you can Saints Row some dudes, take off the 'rubber' bullets and abuse the mounted machine gun, pour explosive gel on the streets, grappling dudes and dragging them around, getting into races and bataraanging the wheels before crashing them to send them off to their death and a horn that honks "I'M BATMAN!"

Okay, that might be a bit too extreme. :stare:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Shindragon posted:

So you basically want Batman GTA.

Yeah... Just as an extra, but killer Batman is the best stupid fun concept.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hopefully Harley will be playable in the main game and not just a challenge map character so you can get your horrible violent murder on.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I'd be down with that, just a section of a villain getting to the batmobile and turning it to a murdertrain for a bit, that's all I want.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Hopefully Harley will be playable in the main game and not just a challenge map character so you can get your horrible violent murder on.

I believe it's already been confirmed that it's for several challenge maps only.

https://www.batmanarkhamknight.com/#preorder

Arkham Knight Website posted:

Pre-order now and receive the playable Harley Quinn add-on. Become Harley Quinn for the first time ever in an Arkham game and utilize her unique weapons, gadgets, and abilities first-hand. The add-on includes four exclusive challenge maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Who wouldn't want to play this stinking city like a harp from hell?

• Locked thread