Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I don't know if this was ever posted, but I love this so much:

Game Informer April 2013 preview posted:

The demo that we saw and played had music that mixed in the sounds of sleigh bells. Holmes explained the game's use of bells: "One of our inspirations for that is Die Hard, which I think is one of the greatest movies ever made, but it's also a Christmas movie, right? One thing they use in there is whenever McClane has an idea you hear the Christmas bells. So the moment for example when he has the two bullets left for his pistol and he knows Hans has his wife... then you see the Chirstmas tape and the camera punches in. You hear the same thing just before he sends the guy down the elevator... all of his ideas are little Christmas moments."

There's also info about how they segmented the parts of the cities so that the industrial areas have no decorations, the corporate areas have clearly purchased decorations, and the residential areas (Gotham suburbs? I hope so!) have more personal stuff.

That the Christmas thing isn't just something slapped on but really integrated into the game design-wise is cool - part of what's always been fantastic about the Arkham games is the sense of atmosphere and history they lend the locations. (Also, totally calling that the game ends with a weary Batman stumbling back into the Batcave and Alfred offering cookies and hot cocoa or something similar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I'm going to call it: this will be the Saint's Row 2/4 equivalent of the series. People will bitch about reused assets, short cuts, etc. before playing the game - when they do, we'll start to get people realizing that the fact that they don't have to spend as much time on engine work and assets gave the devs a lot of time to get creative in other areas.

Also, it will probably be better than City.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Looked through the last couple of pages, but didn't see it mentioned: rumor is that Rocksteady's next game will be revealed in March. An IGN writer Tweeted a picture of their studio office but hurriedly deleted it within an hour, and when asked about it said he couldn't say anything about the Tweet until next month. Rumor is that Rocksteady probably held one of those press preview events for a limited number of journalists.

No clue what it will be about, but it sounds like it must be seriously big if it's only for next-gen and is still in development after 3 years; maybe one set in a Gotham that's actually populated and not poorly laid out like Origins'? I'd also think I'd like to see them move away from the "One Night" approach as it really limits a lot of what they could otherwise do, so maybe it could be something like an Assassin's Creed game where you get one city that changes over a time period? Not as long of course, but like over a few weeks or months.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Replaying Arkham City, and it's crazy how much of it seems like setup for a third game; it very much feels like a "middle book" or something. Like there's at least 20 things unanswered/foreshadowed:

-Scarecrow wants revenge
-STAAR Labs
-some sort of apocalypse where Batman might die
-Hush has Bruce's identity
-Ras Al Ghul's body disappears at the end
-Talia is or is not alive

Etc., etc.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Gamestop employees are receiving these promo banners, with orders not to put them up until next week:

Coincidentally, that would make it March - the same timeframe the embargo on that press event Rocksteady had ends.

Source: http://kotaku.com/will-rocksteadys-next-batman-game-be-revealed-next-wee-1533468637

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

If it's open world again, I have no doubt Rocksteady will pull it off better than Origins: I thought it was an OK game overall, but the open world aspect was totally horrible. Why yes, flying around a brown blurry winter storm sounds appealing.

The number one design sin that I think Warner Montreal committed in designing the open world vs. Arkham City's was that a) City's wasn't actually that big, but gave you the perspective of it being big just based on visual tricks b) City's buildings are mostly even with each other in height so that you can always see where you are when doing rooftop travel, so you're never lost or feel like you're just stumbling around an area staring at the corner of the screen with the map, which is more what I felt when playing Origins. It feels realistic in a sense that Origins' Gotham feels random and unplanned, but in terms of game design I didn't feel like I was memorizing it as I played and nothing in it seemed notable like City's church tower, destroyed GCPD, etc.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 28, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Rereading the Arkham Wiki, there's a lot of Scarecrow hints in City: the decoder messages, Falcone shipping fear gas to Scarecrow, even Hush has fear gas canisters in his hideout, fear gas canisters are all around Arkham City, and apparently during the climax you can find his dead soldiers scattered around parts of the map (they're not present before).

My favorite detail is that during Harley Quinn's Revenge, Crane's mask disappears.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 28, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Drivable Batmobile.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a finale to the Arkham series and Harley is in the trailer without Joker. It's after City.

I'm glad we'll get a Joker-free finale, though I'm sure they'll do something like have Batman be exposed to fear gas and relive killing him or (if they can convince Hamill) a cameo where a hallucination of Joker taunts Batman at some key moment.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

More details to go with the bullet points Megaman's Jockstrap came up with: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-05-rocksteady-reveals-batman-arkham-knight-in-detail

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I bet there will be civilians, but probably a small amount like Arkham City or maybe certain areas will have a dozen or so on screen. It looks like they're technically doing No Man's Land minus the disasters (though weren't seismic events the cause of Amusement Mile, etc., being busted to poo poo? that could have spread to the rest of Gotham in the year that passes), so they could do a similar thing where a majority of the population evacuates but a small minority is trapped with no way out. It'd give Batman extra motivation to protect the city but the evacuation gives the team an excuse to only have small pockets of people here and there instead of GTAV levels of crowd.

I just hope to God the titular "Arkham Knight" is not the Joker. Literally any other explanation is preferable: Quincy Sharp going Senator Armstrong, Jason Todd back from the dead, Ras Al Ghul having survived a crazy amount of punishment, Azrael crossing a line...anything.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 6, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Mash O to rip the infant from its mech suit womb, Batman!

Tap ^ to punch the infant unconscious, Batman!

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I thought the "Batman Gambit" that makes up the climax was neat: "I must kill this guy without killing him and compromising my morals or Joker will kill Gordon!" is a very wonderfully comic style Batman dilemma, and the fact that the player actually had control for most of it was nice instead of just showing a cutscene. Actually, I thought the entire finale from Firefly on was very entertaining and built itself up well - in some games I honestly am not sure when a climax is coming (I was shocked Lord of Shadows 2 was over when it was, since the pacing of events didn't really build up to a climax at all), but Origins climax actually is a height that it reaches.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I hope Cold Cold Heart has a large portion set solely in Wayne Manor, and not just the intro: Freeze could take it over and it'd be a great throwback to Arkham Asylum Metroidvania style, but probably replaced with frozen doors you need to break and security systems to disarm.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Dini is incredibly hit or miss period, especially in the last 5 years. Honestly, it's probably for the best that's he's off; no clue who's replacing him, but both Asylum and City had three writers if you count Dini. I think Origins had two, but they both worked together on Assassin's Creed 2 or something (another game with a solid character arc and probably one of the better written ones, if you focus on Ezio's story).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Forgive me if this was posted already, but Game Informer has a special dedicated to Arkham Knight's Batmobile itself: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/03/07/the-keys-to-the-batmobile-designing-batman-s-iconic-vehicle.aspx

Info gleaned from that is that the Batmobile
-doesn't need to be protected
-follows you with auto-tracking and is not cutscene activated (like the Batwing in Origins)
-doesn't take time to get to you, sounds like once you hit the button to summon it (L1 on Playstation) it just swerves up
-can smash through fences, walls, lampposts
-has Batman Return's "defensive measures" for when Batman leaves it and will taser thugs that try to jack it

It sounds like a lot of thought went into it, as Rocksteady mentions that the entire reason for next-gen only is wanting the Batmobile to run properly, smoothly, and seamlessly with the game world; on that, Game Informer mentions seeing a gameplay demo at the press event where the launching from the Batmobile is indeed seamless (apparently it launches you very high, too, so you can eject and then glide across the city rooftops).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Sober posted:

Well the AA Batmobile had that too, or at least some sort of countermeasure device so thugs don't run up and hit it with baseball bats all day and scratch the paint.

Did it? I don't recall it even appearing outside of Batman delivering Joker to Arkham.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I'm really glad the PS4 has a touch pad now for Arkham Knight alone: thinking back on it, Arkham City felt like it was literally straining the controller for gadget button space and you know a sequel will drop even more in (early impressions seem to peg Batman as beginning with at least some of them), so having something that can double as up to 9 extra buttons is a relief.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Excels posted:

One thing that Asylum did perfectly in my opinion was incentive to look around. The riddles kept you on the lookout for unique or unusual sights around the island, nods to the comics and other Rogues who didn't appear in the game. The riddles were alright in City but not as interesting.

Origins is not like that at all, it's pretty devoid of those small details, or they were much harder to spot for me.

There were a few really great sections though, especially Firefly and Joker's therapy session.

Also I want to add how gratifying it is that you can wrap up the Riddler's crimes without collecting every single goddamn trophy again. And as if to mock you, the reward for getting them all IS A RIDDLER TROPHY

Origins has a decent amount, but not quite as much as Asylum and certainly not as much as City: the major ones related to the Falcones, some things from Long Halloween, the other games (Joker's riot allows Calendar Man to escape and commit the Christmas crime he tells you about), Crane being logged in at Black Gate, Batman's prior case work in the cave, other DC cities from The Flash and Green Lantern, and The Flying Graysons coming to town soon.

It's probably harder to do so at Origins' time frame because Batman is barely even known to the world and apparently hasn't fought any super villains prior to this beyond mob bosses. I'd really like to see the same team tackle a next gen only game (so they don't need to use Rocksteady's engine, since it was clearly not meant to load that much land and performance on it even with 0 NPCs and an obscuring blizzard was still chugging slow) that's set maybe a year later. Then you could have Batman fight a broader range of villains and have at least 2 years of him active to work with; I hope their in-game hints leaning towards a Long Halloween adaptation are what they go with, especially if that means abandoning the "one long night" idea for a series of one long nights spread across a year.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Here's a pretty good list, though unfortunately the writer's language is clearly not English: http://arkhamcity.wikia.com/wiki/Easter_Eggs_in_Batman:_Arkham_Origins

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Going off the "character arc" chat from a page before, Arkham City does have a growth arc for Batman that some have apparently missed (granted, there's a LOT going on at all times so it's understandable) but Batman is increasingly deteriorating as the game wears on. It's basically the reverse of Origins. He's in there alone because - as someone who has already lost one Robin and saw Oracle get crippled - he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt helping him. So he sends Robin off on bullshit missions and even refuses Talia's help; when Talia does try to help him, she ends up dead - just as he feared would happen if he didn't wrap up things himself, so he finally snaps and kills the Joker. Harley's Revenge shows his reaction to that, as Bruce gets further unhinged.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

So the latest Game Informer online article confirms the existence of "environmental finishers" for Arkham Knight. (The journalist mentions seeing Batman use an AC unit on a thug.)

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Everyone should read this, and not just for the detailed descriptions of new gameplay: A Very Excited Man Tells Us About Batman Arkham Knight.

Rocksteady PR guys posted:

Dax: You're feeling good. You're looking good.

Gaz: I feel like Batman.

[Batman's car screams in]

Dax: YEEEEEESSSSS!

[Thug groans and gasps in pain as Batman gets out of the Batmobile and approaches.]

Dax: We call this the long slow walk of justice.

Dax: But you're thinking: where's the Batmobile now? Easy! You want to get back into it. A single button press and IT will come and find you. Check this out. Oh, come on, that is hot! Gaz, that is HOT!

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 27, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

The Best Buy Tweet clearly typo-wrote "Bruce" instead of "Thomas" as the Tweet talks about driving the Batmobile and protecting the city from villains (i.e., the basic premise of the game) which if actually a "twist" would be something like "LOL you weren't even playing as Bruce Wayne you were playing as Damian even when we called him Bruce gotcha!!!!" Also the site seems shocked that they may have news that this might be Rocksteady's last Batman game, something that has been rock solid fact since early March.

Gamejournalism.txt

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

None of the "legitimate" game news sites (Game Informer, who in fact just posted an updated game release calendar and still have AK as October 14; Kotaku, Eurogamer, etc. etc.) are posting about the Arkham Knight delay so I'd say it's likely Bleeding Cool being really stupid.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

I think that's one area where Origins is refreshingly better: no sexual threats, Barbra Gordon looks like an actual teen nerd. And I don't recall Shiva looking too bad. There's the poison assassin woman, but she's clearly meant to be primal/feral sexual and it's better since there's actual non-sexualized female characters.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Actually, it would be amazing if a random character reveals himself to be the Joker complete with a monologue about his plan - then 10 minutes later Batman realizes he's been exposed to Fear Toxin and hallucinating it all and the game continues.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Arkham City is designed around both the player and Batman being the prime mover, which the story takes as a flaw: he repeatedly refuses any attempts at help (the Nightwing scene, for instance), which basically lead to the ending with the Joker's death and apparently causing quite a bit of trouble in Arkham Knight, with Batman completely shutting out anyone (the scene with Gordon, apparently the streets getting out of control, etc.)

I'm sure there will be a Big Message scene where he learns to trust Gordon again and teams up with Batgirl or Nightwing, probably at the end.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

It seems like it would be weird to create a masked new character to be the enemy of Batman in your epic final game, so I feel like Arkham Knight has to be an existing character, even if s/he is a "reimagined" one. In terms of who has been introduced, the most likely candidates are Hush (imitating Bruce with the batsuit + uses a gun), Jason Todd (uses a gun and is linked to Batman, but only mentioned previously in a single line by the Joker), Ra's Al'Ghul (probably wouldn't use a gun as a permanent weapon, but has the martial arts skills to go up against Batman/likes to kill), or Talia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Going to be disappointed now if the credits roll on Arkham Knight and there's no Wiz Khalifa theme song like in TMNT and Fasts 5-7.

• Locked thread