Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
Pretty good, though he seems more dismayed than horrified by the murder of his parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

I think showcasing Bruce's deadened emotions were the point of the thing though. He starts out smiling, the shots are fired and we only get a chance to see him reacting to the immediate shock. We then cut to him, dead eyed and zombie-like, at the funeral. In the montage of his youth his unmasked face wears the same dead expression, as if young Bruce is unable to push past the emotional scars and fully live in the world. Even when he's getting the poo poo kicked out of him he keep that thousand yard stare going. Then we cut to him as Batman, exhibiting the first emotions since just before he flinched as his parents were shot, and they're rage and aggression. It's trying to communicate the degree to which young adult Bruce is hosed in the head, the issues he'll be working through in the game and, as a result, how much more savage and volatile he'll be compared to the older, more composed Batman we play as in the previous Arkham games. That's my take, anyways.

I just mean the immediate look on his face when the gunshots happen, I agree with your take otherwise.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

From what I've read the whole thing with all the assassins coming to Gotham to kill Batman will be his first true poo poo-hits-the-fan moment. It'll be the first time when he really faces overwhelming odds and it'd be cool if we get to see him tap into the rage he's been holding down for so long in order to get himself through it. This will be a Batman who doesn't even know is own limits yet. Arkham City Batman gets a deadly disease and just says "I'll make it", and he does. I'd really like to watch Batman discover that he can use his parents death to push him forward through pretty much anything.

Yeah, this does appear to be the first time he really demonstrates or realizes that he's the toughest bastard around, considering all this stuff is supposed to happen in a single night.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Hush touched on this briefly but much like Batman Begins I think it's just assumed that Bruce was an angry washout/misanthrope until he decided on a purpose in his late teens.

It kind of depends on the story. Some of the stories from the eighties have Bruce wanting to be an FBI agent until all the bureaucratic red tape has him quitting in disgust like a week after being accepted.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

I would rather the Riddler stuff didn't have any story attached to them or at least the story City gave him. City making him not-Saw was a dumb idea because I always considered him a criminal like a bank robber with flair but not a cold-blooded killer. Asylum's optional trophies highlighted how mentally messed up Nigma is for spending all this time leaving poo poo around that would potentially never be found but how he's ultimately chump change compared to the bigger players in Gotham.

Riddler's more or less always made death traps, though. From his very first appearance in the 40s, to the Adam West show, to the Animated Series, he's always put people in mortal danger. The one who's a chump who poses no real threat is the minority as far as versions of the Riddler go.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Eddain posted:

After reading through the Injustice comics and seeing the in-game cutscenes I really wish there could be a Batman-focused game that involved more of the DC universe. Move outside of Arkham and Gotham City and include allies outside of the Bat family. Something like a Justice League game but with Batman as the central character.

The issue would be that then the people who are more fans of the other Leaguers would be complaining that Batman's the main focus. Some fans are adamant Batman shouldn't even be a member of the Justice League. I agree with you that it'd be awesome, but I bet it'd piss off a lot of people.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That'd be pretty cool. It could also potentially be a Batman Incorporated thing instead of the Outsiders.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know how you got good with the mouse and keyboard, seems like it'd be really tough. Then again, I use a laptop so I don't even have a mouse.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
They admitted in that Reddit AMA that Deathstroke wasn't even originally supposed to be playable and they just enjoyed their version so much they wanted to give him some playable maps. It doesn't really say anything about the quality of the rest of the game, and I don't really know why people are complaining that the gameplay seems largely the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Arkham City's gameplay didn't really need to be changed in my opinion.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

raditts posted:

Yeah, going by the last two games you should have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into at this point with a third game using the same engine. Unless they massively poo poo the bed then odds are you'll like the single player in this one if you liked the single player in the others.

Yeah, I mean, I get what people are saying about Deathstroke even if it doesn't personally matter to me too much, but I see people complaining that Batman's animations and general abilities are too similar to City's, and I just don't get that.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

In my opinion, the gameplay should always seek to advance. I mean Arkham City's is pretty great, but it could still see to have more to it. The game looks fine though and it's probably gonna be pretty fun. Is there any word yet on if the multiplayer is actually going to be good or not or are they just shoving it in because every big game these days needs multiplayer?

Well, it seems like there'll be new gadgets, I just don't think they need to totally change the engine or the animations. Change for the sake of change doesn't seem better to me than using the last game as a base to put new scenarios and areas onto.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I guess it's up to personal taste, and maybe you played City more than me, but I personally don't feel burnt out on it like you do. That being said, Asylum's more enclosed, creepy atmosphere was really cool, even though I felt City was still more fun overall.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

redbackground posted:

I'm wondering how they get around the ability to grapnel-boost around the city, since that (fabulous and super-fun) upgrade was still a prototype in City. Don't make me regular-grapnel the whole game!

It's my understanding that they're just gonna handwave it with a different name, the Grapnel Accelator, but have the gameplay be exactly the same as in City because they realize in this instance gameplay's probably more important than that comment by Batman in City. So never fear.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Origin's Batman already looks more armored up than Asylum's or City's.

I completely forgot about it being experimental.

Well according to the developers, they designed him to look less sleek, like his armor has more parts to it and is more noticeable and bulky.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Orv posted:

Have they shown any in-depth or relatively raw footage of the weird multiplayer they're shoving into this thing?

There were videos on Youtube from the beta, not sure if they've been deleted.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I thought it was pretty much a sure thing once the trophy/achievement list leaked.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 22, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Speaking of getting things early, how are people already playing the game and why am I never one of those people?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wish I had a store like that. The last time I got a game early was when EBGames sent me Majora's Mask a week early.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know how it could be coverup-level bad, though. It may not be as highly regarded as City since it'll probably seem less of a step up than City was from Asylum, but I don't see how it could be so bad that it could be a flop if they don't coverup review scores.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That'd be my guess as well.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Sort of, but it's all jumbled up with the Arkham city revolt story. I want something where the stories are more cleanly delineated. You start the Bane mission set and each mission is comparable to a single issue of a five issue story revolving around Bane that occurs in a neutral Gotham city setting. Having it all take place in the Arkham City warzone made everything feel muddied and restricted what kind of stories they could tell about the characters.

The only issue is they'd either need to keep coming up with excuses as to why no regular citizens are around or start having innocent NPCs roaming around in a GTA/Assassin's Creed kinda way, except you can't touch them because Batman wouldn't start beating up random civilians. That might be something they'd be hesitant about doing. But I agree it'd be cool if they spaced it out and made it less claustrophobic timeframe-wise. The first time I played Arkham City I did feel weird getting some urgent main objective and then running off to find Deadshot's latest victim or solve another Riddler room.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Oh God drat it. Now it's really seeming like I shouldn't have pre-ordered it at Gamestop if everything but Gamestop is releasing it early.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
GTA V had an embargo for the day before the game was released and it got amazing reviews.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God the Deathstroke fight was the best, it was incredibly satisfying to complete that, especially given motherfucking Deathstroke of all people going,"What ARE you!?! :gonk:" after you kick his rear end :allears:

I'm still early in the game but so far this is a more than worthy continuation of the quality of the previous two games, which is a huge relief.

Yeah, I loved that. Both the fight and the post-fight scene. I wish they had replayable boss fights. And I agree, I have a few minor quibbles but overall I'm really enjoying it so far.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Is there anything in-game tipping you off to where the Anarky Tags and Cyrus Pinkney plaques are? Like how the riddles in the other games appeared on the map? If not, trying to do a 100% campaign without a guide is gonna be real annoying.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I didn't think he was only targeting Gotham's worst. Anyway, as I see it it's for the reasons mentioned early in the mission. He'll cause pandemonium by releasing every dirty secret in Gotham at once

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sober posted:

I'm doubtful the predator rooms repopulate, and you probably cannot grind Dark Knight challenges in challenge mode, so it looks like for NG+ I'll have to be very very careful in predator rooms to get Worst Nightmare, that kinda sucks.

You can select it as a gadget and manually throw/drop it.

Also why is there so much crying on the Internet about the Deathstroke fight or just the combat in the game in general? I mean, sure point out the fact there's some jank (like Bats throwing a punch at nothing in freeflow) or he feels a bit slower/more windup involved but really, people complaining about the more more aggressive combat AI? Remember when people were all saying Batman Arkham games having BABY COMBAT FOR BABIES YOU JUST MASH X AND Y HOW HARD COULD IT BE?

Maybe I'm a wuss, but I never felt the other games had baby combat. They weren't insanely challenging but they got the job done. The tweaks to the combat flow have been frustrating at times for me, I never played a ton of the challenge maps in the others and I really feel like I suck in some of the fights in this one. Pre-release they talked about wanting to make getting good at free flow even more intuitive but it just seems all the tougher to me, and while I wasn't one of the best I was decent at free flow in the others. But the Deathstroke fight was amazing.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you actually use the tools available to you you're insanely powerful in this compared to City. Aside from the Concussion Grenades being a crappy replacement for the Rec, almost everything you have is as good or better as your City counterpart. Shock Gloves + Double Takedown is so hilariously powerful that it invalidates massive amounts of any potential difficulty.

I don't have those yet, I'm more talking about the way, at least early in the game, whether or not you're gonna hit the enemies before they hit you is kind of a crap shoot. Maybe my play style doesn't suit this game as much as the others, but I feel closer to being overwhelmed more often, and I rarely manage to get through an encounter without getting hit at all. Don't get me wrong, though, I do think some people are being too harsh on the game overall and I'm really enjoying it in general.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It seems like it. It's just kind of a bummer needing to change up something that's become somewhat reflexive from the other games.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Holy crap Joker reaveal was absolutely amazing. If you guys are dillydallying around and not progressing through the main story line, you need to, because it keeps getting better.

Also Babs is clearly a goon.

Agreed, I know pre-release a lot of people were getting upset by that but I thought the build up and the payoff was really cool.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ethanol posted:

I know I saw the answer way earlier in the thread, but can somebody tell me where to go for the main plot after deathstroke, right when you get anarky's side quest? All I have to go on is "Find Black Mask" and Alfred seemed like he was going to say something useful but his audio clip cut out for some reason mid sentence.

Lacey Towers.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Tegan and Sankara posted:

I don't think this is marked in game and I spent quite a lot of time hunting around in Burnley, so more specifically: Lacey Towers is in Coventry, south of the fast travel point. There's some cop cars and an ambulance on the east side of the building, and some cops on the top of a building to the west, who you have to defeat to prompt the entrance into the building.

Yeah, I just didn't remember where Lacey Towers was and I thought I could help slightly at least.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

abraxas posted:

So I'm sure someone else already noticed this or maybe posted it before but I was checking out the character trophies for a bit today and noticed something a little... off with the Batman one.

What... what is wrong with your right eye, Batman? "Hurr, I'm the BATMAAAAAAN :haw:"

You try getting hit in the head with metal pipes over and over and see how you look.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So what takedown are you supposed to use with a sonic batarang in the challenges? I tried using an inverted takedown with a sonic batarang but it didn't work, are you just supposed to do a regular silent takedown or something?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

I got it doing inverted takedowns no problem. I did make sure to wait until the goon appeared to be bent over interacting with the batarang before grabbing him, so maybe you're doing it too early or late?

Maybe, he was commenting on it so I thought it would count. Really annoying how there's a finite amount of predator rooms yet it sometimes doesn't tell you if you succeeded at a challenge until the room is cleared.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Note that you do have to perform it three times, not just once.

Ah, well then I'm an idiot. I should've kept better track of which ones are meant to be done multiple times and which ones are meant to be done once. Still a bit annoyed by the fact that if I run out of predator rooms I have no chance to do all these challenges in one game, though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Goddamn, the remote claw absolutely OWNS.

Also I HIGHLY recommend the upgrades that let you tether people to vantage points/each other. Having both upgrades almost takes the fun out of predator maps by giving you three free takedowns from complete cover; combined with all the fire extinguishers and propane tanks laying around you can take out a predator map of 6 in like 30 seconds without a breaking a sweat since tethering those doesn't require ammo.

Yeah, I try to never use the same takedown twice in a predator encounter so I only use the remote claw once a room, but it is a really fun addition to the gadgets. I also thought it was pretty cool when you're pitted against it yourself and Batman's getting explosive barrels chucked at him.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

I winned! I punched out all the bad guys.

This game desperately needs a boss rush mode, or at least a way to select and fight them again. Honestly the only fight that wasn't crazy fun was the Copperhead one, and that was only because of her stupid off-screen dash shenanigans. And the whole 'tripping-out feelin' bad about stuff' shtick is getting a little bit routine.

The best gadget is the glue grenade. Nothing like taking down super villains with glue.

While I was in the process of beating Deathstroke I started desperately pining for boss replays. In the other games I didn't care so much but this installment really has some great bosses.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've already done the Deadshot side mission and I'm on the exotic takedown challenge. I hope there's somewhere else that has all those elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress Grapple Boost Takedown.

I NEVER see a guy close enough to the edge to get this to work. I always just fly right over them. :mad:

Maybe if I wait until I unlock the Sonic Batarang I cal lure them closer to the edge?

What part of the game are you on?

• Locked thread