Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Oh. So it's basically the default Batsuit with a Batman Begins color scheme. I get why the Batsuit in Origins is more armored than the previous ones since you're dealing with a younger, less confident Batman, but I really don't like the damage effects. By the end of the game the entire suit is just a bunch of scratches. I liked the damage effects in the earlier games because you saw some skin and blood underneath. It'd be nice if we had the option to select an undamaged default or Dark Knight suit because they look kinda cool.

It'd be nice if the other Batsuits can get damaged during the course of your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

Just have it be Thomas Wayne's bat costume (not the flashpoint one) for some retarded comic reference goodness. Bonus points if people look at you in terror after ordering a drink in the Batman voice.

"You are going to tell me where to get a martini. NOW!"

Next Rocksteady game will BE Thomas Wayne Batman.

I would give so much for that...

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else gotten a bug where the game completely crashed on "Searching for DLC"? This just started happening to me and I can't access my single player, but Multiplayer works fine.

I updated my Nvidia drivers and it still does it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Monopthalmus posted:

3.1GB patch downloading right now. Does anyone know where to find patch notes?

I've looked all over and found none. Hopefully the corrupted save issue gets fixed because I haven't been able to play for over a week.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thank you good sir. I'll be able to test soon if the patch actually fixed anything.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

3GB for a patch? loving hell, how broken was this game?

Pretty broken.

However, if I remember correctly; Arkham City was near unplayable on release.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Annnd.... Still getting the fatal error and crashing on start.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was quite literally the only bug I had, to be honest, and it seems to be plaguing more than a fair amount of people.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

That's an issue that's been present since the first game in the series. I doubt they've cracked it now.

I just really, really don't want to restart my progress. I could redo the story stuff, I guess, but getting all the Riddler crap again and the aux Batman stuff? Yeah, no. It's tedious enough the first time around.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I just hope Ninja Bruce Wayne is an interesting alternate character and not just a reskin.

I think so far, they've done a good job with making alternate characters feel unique. I really enjoyed using Robin in Harlequin's Revenge, and Joker in the small sequence in AO.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of sad they never put in the 1989 Tim Burton Batman... I liked that suit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crashbee posted:

It'd be great if someone could do a run-down of all these skins as I have no idea who most of them are.

All the Arkham Origins skins :

1989 Batman I was talking about :

It's hard to get a decent image of the 1989 one because the film was shot really darkly.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

That helped cover the fact the the costume looked like poo poo in decent lighting. The Returns and Forever costumes were better in that regard.

I'm not disagreeing, but I would like to see all the movie costumes represented. If they're gonna throw in the Begins Batsuit, might as well get the other ones as well.

Crashbee posted:

I know which one you were referring to, but there's over a dozen different Batmen in Origins now and I have no clue as to the stories behind most of them.

Just read about the Red Son one and you'll be satisfied. Well, the Red Son one and Batman Beyond.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

What's up with the Earth 2 Batman skin? Red Bat Logo, red eyes...he's some sort of vampire, right?

Also, the Thrillkiller outfit is kind of cool, but the hip-high boots make him look like Burlesque Batman or something.

I think he is. I know he's undead in one of the skins.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pleatherface posted:

I think that outfit was an alternate reality where Bruce is killed and his father becomes Batman instead. I may be wrong on this.

You're correct. That's the Flashpoint Batman.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whelllp... I know some of you were asking about it.. but it turns out WB removed the Worst Nightmare skin from the game.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Worst-Nightmare-Batman-Skin/m-p/62937#U62937

Turns out PS3 and 360 players get different skins, PC users get zip. Typical.

EDIT :

Worst Nightmare

Skoll fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 28, 2013

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll say story wise, Origins is the best one so far.

Other than that, what iuvian said. It basically feels like an expansion and some of the combat timing is messed up. For $30 dollars though, it's not bad.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

I haven't played it, but the latest Splinter Cell game does something similar, where there are three 'tracks' available: combat, ghost and panther.

Combat is like you'd expect, loud guns and big bangs.
Ghost is completing objectives without being seen, and possibly without even interacting with guards? Like you can't even knock them out just gotta slip right on by but I'm not sure on that.
Panther is similar to the Arkham games, aggressively using stealth to take out enemies.

So yeah I think with some tweaking you could get something similar but not exactly the same to that system in Arkham. Maybe throw in some more challenges like hostage takers and whatnot that reward pure stealth or whatever.

Combat is full on combat, Ghost is pretty much non-lethal stealth. You can still take guards out, but if it's melee; without the knife. You can also use the Crossbow and the Stungun since both are non lethal. There are also tear gas and sleep gas grenades as well as shock mines.

Panther is pretty much lethal stealth. Knife melees and silenced weaponry.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So after getting the dreaded Fatal Error that pretty much wiped all my progress, I managed to get a save file from a fellow goon about roughly where I was in the game. Two weeks later, I finally find the time to beat it.

I gotta say, story wise, this one is the best hands down. It doesn't have the atmosphere of Asylum, nor the grizzled, self confidence, never-say-die attitude of City, but it has gritty, dark emotion. I'd have to say that the Firefly fight is my favorite so far, out of the three games.

And yes, I agree.. Combat is somewhat hosed right now, especially counter timing. Just rely on the shockgloves and keep moving though and most fights are cake.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
An aside to how ridiculous some of the Batmen are :

Just looking at that, I have to wonder if Bob Kane ever visualized something as goofy as a grown man in a grey and black suit with purple gloves just viciously beating the poo poo out of common street criminals.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Um, that was exactly what Bob Kane had in mind.

What the gently caress was wrong with Bob Kane, man? Just.. what in the gently caress.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They can just draw from low-tier... I mean, the loving Electrocutioner was in Origins. They can slap in people like Crime Doctor, The Mortician, Phantasm,etc for the next game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Pretty sure all those slightly interesting side plot threads in City - Hush, Azrael - are gonna get dropped because MORE JOKER HERE

Unless they do the unthinkable and he actually STAYS dead in this continuity.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is it bad that barely three-four months after release, Batman AO is now 50% off?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was honestly expecting 25% off at the most. Even the Season pass is 50%.

Is the Bruce Wayne DLC worth getting, because I'm not interested in the skins or Black Mask poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TechnoSyndrome posted:

If you like the challenge rooms Bruce Wayne is a completely separate character with his own gadgets, moveset, and set of challenges/medals for each map. If you're only going to play the new maps/challenge campaign that come with him it's probably not worth it.

I just wanted it cause of story content, but I'm iffy on paying ten dollars for it if it's not even as long as Harley's Revenge from AC.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

After finally grabbing all of the Riddler drives, I can unequivocally say that Bats should have just left them to be found because there was nothing in there that was going to throw Gotham into choas and it was all boring poo poo between established bad guys that Batman had no real reason to hide from everyone. Sure the commissioner would have had some dirty laundry aired, but uh, he's dead anyway. Go Team Riddler!

Yeah, the Riddler poo poo was such a huge waste of time. "Collect all this bullshit just to see a pressure pad from a game you already beat two years ago.".

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^Thanks for letting me know not to bother with that poo poo, guys.^^^^

I'm getting spread a little thin in the "what to do next" department and was getting bogged down with the datapack bullshit, wondering if it was worth it.

Out of the three extras; Riddler poo poo, Anarky tags, and the plaques, only the plaques are really worth it because the tomb you get to see is loving awesome and it reveals some cool stuff about Penguin's father.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
^

Pretty much the most tedious fight of the entire series.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Toffile posted:

Eh. None of the games are particularly strong in this aspect. AA isn't much better, Medical sucks, Intensive Care sucks. AC just doesn't have a ton of big indoor areas to begin with, but the Museum isn't great, and neither was Wonder City.

I loving HATED Wonder City solely for the fact that the last robot I had to find was nigh impossible to find on my own.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's you. You're the reason we couldn't have Dick Grayson as Batman. :argh:

But we did. Batman, Inc.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

B:TAS falls into the same sort, though it was influenced a ton by the Denny O'Neill Batman of the 70's. It never really touched on Year One stuff.

Don't mean to come off as a dick or sperg, but Mask of the Phantasm had a lot of Year One influence.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Why are these trailers always so gorgeous?

Is Arkham Knight supposed to be a sequel to Arkham Origins or Arkham City? Judging by the Batsuit and how young he looked, I'm guessing it's going to be Arkham Origins.

Let's just hope that even though it's Rocksteady, the game won't be a buggy piece of poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

There are a bunch of comments on that article with people praising this as a "Next-gen exclusive" so it can be made "from the ground up" -- does PS4 really look that much better than pushing the limits of PS3? I don't see many titles that "take advantage" of the 'advanced graphics' on Xbone or PS4.

It really doesn't look all that much better. I think most of that is just marketing poo poo. Games like Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed 4, etc etc still looked way loving better on my PC than I've seen them on PS3 or 4.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Arkham Origins didn't come out on PS4.

You correct me then. I know AC 4 looked better on my PC though. I had assumed Origins did come out for PS4 but didn't bother to do my research for that. My bad.

And I dug this up on imdb, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3139086/reference

Guess the working title was originally Assault on Arkham?

EDIT:

I'm a loving moron, this is apparently an animated short.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I was doing some thinking.. how come Harley doesn't have her tattoos in the trailer? She had a pretty obvious one on her upper right in City :

And this is the best still I've seen of her from the Arkham Knight trailer, and you should be able to see her tattoo even with that sleeve :

So is there direct confirmation of this being a sequel to City, or are the devs just lazy? Or am I just dumb and missed something?

Skoll fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 5, 2014

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BreakAtmo posted:

We've had direct confirmation, I'm assuming they merely forgot. It's just a CG trailer anyway.

Just something I noticed, a little detail that bugged me when I watched the trailer and didn't pin it down until I re-watched it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think she looks more conventionally attractive in this new one, face wise. Like, that girl next door kinda look. Also, agree on the outfit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

The "Ra's, in Talia's body" part happened in Batman Beyond. It was surprisingly horrifying for a kids cartoon, considering he erased Talia's mind to get there, effectively killing his own daughter. Then he used this new body to seduce an elderly (then not-so-elderly, thanks Lazarus pit!) Bruce Wayne.

So there is a heavily implied sex scene between Ra's and Bruce.

Yet another reason I miss 90s cartoons. You could actually get away with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BoredMarc posted:

I just finished all the Riddler stuff after beating Arkham Asylum. I don't think I'm going to do the challenge maps. That's not really the part I enjoyed most about the game. I already own Arkham City. Got both in a humble bundle. Is there as much Riddler stuff in that one as well? Are the "riddles" less stupid.

Finding all the Riddler stuff in the game was my favorite part but man were the riddles dumb. I would love a game centered on the Riddler as the main villain, but they would really need an intelligent writer to write an intelligent villain, and that doesn't seem to be a strength for this developer.

Elfface posted:

They don't do the 'Riddles' in City and Origins. Instead, it's complicated arrangements of chickenwire, pressure plates and batarang targets, with the occasional trapped room to navigate.

Essentially what Eifface is saying is that in City and Origins, all the Riddler poo poo is a bunch of platforming BS. Some of them will really piss you off too. The one on the boat in Origins used to make me want to rip my hair out because I couldn't just get it ( until I finally did ).

• Locked thread