Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, and that has unfortunately nuked the saves, which were encrypted by GFWL. drat, I was looking forward to giving New Game+ a go for the first time before jumping into Origins.
GfWL fucks up saves even from beyond the grave. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

El Tortuga posted:

Getting the achievements in AA/AC was awesome but fuuuuuuuck the Catwoman challenge rooms. I had never been so legitimately mad a video game before.
Her Predator rooms? Yeah, other than being able to run silently she really wasn't very well suited for Predator mode at all. No real complaints about her efficiency in combat, though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Combat as Catwoman was fun, but just about everything else about that particular character was awful and I'd be pleased if she never showed up ever again.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Steam finally let me register the Arkham City GfWL key I bought from Green Man Gaming back in the day, if anyone was still waiting for Valve/WB/whomever to get this poo poo sorted out. :woop:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 29, 2013

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I don't think I'm liking the combat very much in this game either. There's the camera issues, they still haven't fixed the smart targetting (the lack thereof rather) as mentioned above or thugs doing the loving Gumby Slide...it doesn't feel like an improvement over City in any respect really, and in a few ways it's actually worse. Kind of disappointing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

CuwiKhons posted:

Honestly, I think a lot of the reason Batman stomps all over Riddler's plan in this game is for the same reason he refuses to ask for help from Gordon until he literally has to - Batman just plain doesn't want help. He wants to do it all on his own, whether because he's an anti-social rage machine or because he has a martyr complex is up in the air, but it's not until the end of the game that he's finally willing to accept that he doesn't have to be a one man army.
Very minor Gotham Royal Hotel spoiler: I was really expecting, even hoping that Alfred would respond with something like "and does that include me as well, sir?" after Batman is all "I NEED NO ALLIES :black101:". I guess he's too polite to do that, though. :(

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN posted:

Isn't that what Batman does all the time? Seems fair. :smuggo:
It isn't because Batman pounces on his enemies, rather than impersonating goddamn Gumby.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Soonmot posted:

Okay first part of the Shiva mission Am I just not seeing something? There are two fuse boxes, but I can't seem to electrify my remote controlled batarang in the water to blow them. I also don't see how I can get the grapple line to shoot between the two anchor points to do anything with that.
There's a damaged grille you can crouch-move past on one side of the room. From there, you can disable the first fuse box and use the remote batclaw to zip over to the other side and disable the second box.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Are critical counters something else that's bugged (in the PC version at any rate)? When I do get one once in a blue moon, it seems to be pretty much down to chance because waiting until Batman is about to be hit before countering doesn't really seem to work; either that or it really requires you to cut it ludicrously close, which I'm not a fan of.

Not to mention that trying to pull off a critical counter might actually cost you your entire combo if the timer runs out while waiting for the near-hit.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Man, at this point I don't even know if I can be bothered to finish this. The final chapter just seems to be a single slog comprised of unfun combat and a boss fight that clearly attempts to ape one particular, much-praised encounter from AC but falls completely flat for me. What a disappointment.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, in some interview they mentioned that drones were cut from predator sequences because playtesters only ever used one strategy to deal with them.
This game was playtested? :haw:

OK, that might be a little too harsh, but when I actively want to get the combat over with as quickly as possible in an Arkham title, that's just not right. :sigh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The only way I got through the Deathstroke fight was by repeatedly using Batclaw Slam, then maybe punching him once or twice afterwards but not too often or he'd do his uninterruptible counter attack because...I have no idea, really, as the game didn't bother giving any worthwhile feedback whatsoever. None of the boss fights in Origins were particularly amazing (though I haven't beaten it so maybe the super final end–of–game boss would surprise me? :allears:), but that one definitely was among the series' low points as far as I'm concerned.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Made myself beat this game last night. I'd previously quit after what turned out to be the final Bane encounter, and the final "boss fight" in general, though I didn't know this at the time and thought there was something more in store for me afterwards than a lengthy cutscene and a few fairly superfluous QTEs. Silly me!

Then, while roaming around post-ending, a mercenary I needed to interrogate as part of a Most Wanted side mission just flat out couldn't be interrogated, and when I went to clear another comms tower instead I was downed by a loving army of snipers they apparently saw fit to have spawn even when the story mode's long over, so, yeah. gently caress this poo poo.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

pogothemonkey0 posted:

This is a bit of a weird question but does anyone have a save file of from Arkham City GOTY with new game completed? I just bought it from the Humble Bundle (which is an awesome deal) and want to replay it but I want to jump directly into newgame+. I tried googling for a save and basically all I can find are 100% completion files. Ideally it would be some percent below 100 so that I could still have stuff to do but whatever works.
I checked, but the closest thing I have is a save with the original story 100%-ed essentially (including all Riddler secrets) and NG+ untouched. :sigh:

PoshAlligator posted:

I just could not get it to work and I gave up.
Yeah, I had to engage in quite a bit of fiddling to get my AC saves to work—the conversion tool someone posted on the Steam discussion hub didn't work, nor did the instructions for manually hex-editing the files. (Or rather, I had to use the instructions for AA, for some reason.)

Orgophlax posted:

If achievements matter to you, AC will give you the correct achievements when you convert, AA will not.
Some of them, but by no means all; it doesn't look like it retroactively unlocked any of the story–related ones I should've gotten, for instance.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

So to be clear you hex-edited the file with the instructions given for Asylum and it worked fine?
Yes. I deleted everything before the first 00 00 00 03 00 string and that did the job.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

The program (as in, City) always locks up for me after pressing start after doing the hexing.
After editing the save, you're not accidentally saving it in some other file format? Did you create new, blank saves for every slot you want to use and overwrite them with the edited files? You might also want to turn off cloud synchronisation, as I've heard that this can mess with things as well.

I don't know what to tell you otherwise—AC spent a lot of time crashing on trying to read my edited saves as well until I managed to delete the correct bit of the files as mentioned earlier. :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

It seems "farrallth-save0" reappears every time on startup. Possibly a cloud thing I guess.
Sounds like the cloud is messing with you, yeah. For the Steam version at least I don't think saves are even supposed to be named like that, just plain saveX.sgd (at least they are for me).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

From what I understand it's the GFWL naming convention. I just don't get it.

It's annoying as I'd been gunning for 100% challenges and was quite close.
Yeah, GfWL saves are prefixed with your GfWL user name (in some cases, at least, because mine weren't—how come? Because GfWL is dumb, I guess), but the Steam ones shouldn't be, or aren't for me at least.

Wish I know what's wrong in your case; I'd be pretty pissed if my saves couldn't be salvaged, given how much time I spent on that AC.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PoshAlligator posted:

Problem solved!

If anyone is having the same issues, there can be multiple "00 00 00 03 00" strings. For some reason I thought it was just the first, but apparently it won't work unless you delete from the furtherest one you can find.

But I'm not as far with the challenges as I remembered. Completion of 95%.
In my case it was the first string in all four files, but this just goes to show how fiddly hex–editing can be. :shobon:

95% is quite close indeed! Those remaining 5% wouldn't daunt Batman. :colbert: And in an attempt to steer the thread back on topic, I wonder if I can ever be arsed to 100% Origins? Not until they patch the hell out of it, and even then...I don't know. Somehow this game just doesn't engender the same kind of enthusiasm Asylum/City did, and that honestly does make me sad. :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

JT Smiley posted:

I keep hearing people say robin is slow and I can't disagree more. In fact I'd say he was the fastest of all the AC characters and my favorite to play as because of it.
I think Catwoman is faster in most respects (that beatdown animation :allears:), but yeah, I didn't find Robin to be particularly slow. The most ponderous character was Batman himself by far, although he made up for it by having Disarm & Destroy.

When I played Harley's Revenge after getting that free GOTY upgrade (thanks, WB or whoever!), having not touched AC in quite some time, I embarrassed myself several times by trying to D&D shield/baton thugs as Robin. :sweatdrop:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

catlord posted:

I desperately need Origins
There are many of us who felt this way, I'm sure. :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know one is Deadpool
If only. :allears:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they did a good job designing it but conversations in this thread make it very clear they needed to redesign the skill system as people were just getting Disarm and Disable and never using anything else ever. That kind of implies it is not a move that it should be available early in the game because it's making people never do anything but it and in turn causing them to have severe issues.
It's because vaulting over/Aerial Attacking stun rod/shield thugs gets extremely loving old very quickly, more so when there are issues like shield thugs sometimes attacking so preternaturally quickly right after you attack an enemy that there's virtually no chance of dodging them.

I don't doubt that there are players who have to have D&D just to deal with these enemies at all, but even when you know how to take care of them otherwise they tend to severely outstay their welcome in any reasonably well–populated fight.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Mr Fight should completely be a villain. His fighting style would be that he just fights, man. He fights like crazy!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The first time Bane actually ricocheted off a wall and came right back at me after I'd narrowly dodged his charge in Origins had me going "what the hell". Then, as I came to realise just how much of a pain that charge of his tends to be, I grew steadily less amused.

He's like the result of a pinball and a boomerang having utterly hateful sex. The character was alright, but boy did I loathe pretty much every encounter involving him.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
To be fair, that was just me making a somewhat obscure Achewood reference. I'm not actually funny or witty enough to come up with that kind of thing on my own. :smith:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it took me far too long to realize just how amazing (and overpowered) the multi-batarang takedown can be.
Great in story mode, crap in challenge rooms because it's worth gently caress all points. (At least in City; no idea about Origins.)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

chaosapiant posted:

Then we can collect 420 pairs of Joker Teeth!
This will be fine with me as long as, at the end of the game, we get to force each pair of them into Riddler's mouth, then punch them back out again. In pieces. Like we did with his actual teeth a few minutes prior.

I do not apologise for feeling that Riddler doesn't get punched anywhere near enough in the Arkham games. :colbert:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Joker's Carnival always struck me as the ideal way to figure out just how badly the game can piss you off by having its combat engine glitch out in one way or another.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_aDvu6oZHs

This might be the best glitch to come out of Arkham Origins. :allears:
If you want a picture of Gotham City's future, imagine Batman beating a thug's innards into soup—forever.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I am looking forward to this and have reasonable amounts of faith that Rocksteady will do the franchise justice again. :unsmith:

Azubah posted:

I generally felt awful for some of the goons after environment takedowns in Sleeping Dogs, I can only assume Batman realized he wasn't being a big enough rear end in a top hat until he saw it happen there.
"…what do you mean, I can slam a car door shut on a thug's skull? Push his face into a table saw?! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Canemacar posted:

If summoning the batmobile to wipe out a couple mooks isn't built into the freeflow combat, then Rocksteady has fundamentally failed in their implementation of the batmobile.
A+Y: Peel–Out Takedown. :rice:

• Locked thread