Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I cannot wait for this game. :( I feel stupid for getting it from Amazon and doing free shipping. Ah well. Halloween will be the best Halloween ever.

So is the general goon-consensus that it's better than City in terms of gliding and has a better story than Asylum?

The gliding seems almost identical to me. Except I'm having more difficulty using the grapnel than I used to, it seems to have more trouble locking onto certain points. I wouldn't call it better at all. A couple hours in and the story seems somewhat lame so far, but maybe it picks up. Overall, it's exactly what you expect from a new developer picking up an existing franchise. There seems to be very little new stuff, and some of the changes they did make are for the worse (like the awful upgrade tree) Still really enjoyable because City was, but it's practically the same game but slightly worse, so it's a bit disappointing as well.

Gonkish posted:

I really want to know if Killer Croc is as creepy as he was in AA. That part of the game legitimately had me freaked out. They did a great job of making him intimidating as gently caress.

Unless he makes two appearances, he's not. Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, is Penguin's VA the same dude who voiced Psycho in the Crysis games?

No. He's Nolan North, the voice of Nathan Drake among five million other video game protagonists.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Shorter counter windows talk from few pages ago - they not only changed the timings on that but there's an upgrade to give you Critical Counters. You get x2 on your combo meter if you press counter button just before being hit. Really glad they add these things for experienced players and not dumbing the fight system down. Hope they go Devil May Cry 1-4 path in the future and make it even more skill-reliant.

Really, Arkham is one of the few games I don't mind being franchised into infinity. Heard people comparing Origins to milking AssCred but it isn't really fair because that one was and still is really shallow gameplay-wise.

Well, I guess I don't mind it too much, but City was pretty much the perfect mix of old and new. Rocksteady had the balls to take a fantastic working formula and throw half of it out the window for something different and almost equally fantastic. Even though I don't actually like City quite as much as Asylum (although they're really close), I'm glad they didn't stick to familiar territory. Origins does that literally and figuratively and I can't help but be disappointed by that. If they keep pumping out safe sequels, I'm going to get bored of them really fast. I've played City before, and now I'm playing it again with Origins. It's good, but it can only be good so many times.

DrNutt posted:

As it turns out, being Batman is really loving fun and I would pretty much be there every year if they CoD the gently caress out of this franchise. I know that makes me a part of the problem but I don't care.

People always say this kind of thing, but would you really prefer the same game over and over again to them doing new and interesting things? I'm not talking about huge revamps, but something like Asylum to City. I have to imagine that eventually you'd run into fatigue with the formula and even if they keep the same level of quality, you'd get progressively less enjoyment out of each installment. It's already starting with Origin for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any word on Origins about whether there are advantages to not using detective vision all the time?

There are no real advantages to not using detective vision all the time I guess, but there aren't really any real advantages to using it all of the time either, so I don't know why you would. It's not hard to keep track of people without it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, unless it's dark (it's always dark) and there are walls between you and the enemies (there are often walls between you and the enemies)...?

I dunno, I never actually had trouble in City popping on detective vision for just a few seconds a couple times a minute while in predator scenarios and it's less useful in all other scenarios. City changed up the design of those sections so you can more easily use regular vision.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, but that's not a particularly well-written review. I mostly agree with Sessler, he named the game's pros and cons well and gave it 4/5.

I'm still not very far in but 4/5 sounds about right. If I was to call City a 9/10 I'd give Origins 8/10.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

randombattle posted:

Considering gamespot's attitude towards reviews lately with Bioshock Infinite being the worst game of the year and Beyond Two Souls being absolutely perfect with no flaws at all I don't hold their work with high opinions. Or low opinions for that matter just absolutely pointless to even look at the site anymore.

It's almost like different reviewers have different opinions! I don't know, their Origins review seems mostly fair. The game is so similar to the last, fatigue is going to set in, as I was saying earlier, and it sets in faster for different people. I don't know if I'd like another game exactly like this after this one at all. It took one less iteration for Gamespot's reviewer to feel that kind of fatigue. I much prefer reviews where the reviewer expresses an honest opinion and bases the score off of their own experiences rather than treating it like a rote product review, going down a checklist. "Well it has all of these features, therefore 8.5/10!"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I don't know about anyone else here, but I definitely get mildly cheesed when a reviewer gives a game I like + paid $50 for a bad score. Makes me feel ripped off.

Just don't take it too far or you'll turn into

Honestly, though, unless Origins is your first Arkham game, you should've known you were getting the same game over again.

Should you have? City was really different in a lot of key ways.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Like what? I sure didn't feel like it was when I played through it.

Everyone says it was different and new, but aside from the world being bigger and more open, what was different about it? The big open world didn't even seem to change it that much over the first one.

The world being bigger and more open was a huge difference. It also affected the way you got around with the new gliding mechanics, and it completely changed how sidequests were encountered. Your entire experience between going through the core storyline events was completely different in the two games. They also added a lot of new gadgets to the mix, and a lot of new enemy types that required different ways to defeat them. It felt like Rocksteady wasn't content just resting on their laurels and releasing the same game with a new coat of paint as a sequel, and actually set out to alter pretty significant parts of the formula.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is that first Electrocutioner fight really bugged? The way that played out, I thought that was totally intentional (Guy's taunting you, and you just clock him, knocking him out. The girl sends in a horde of thugs to stop you instead.). How is it supposed to go?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Veotax posted:

It's not bugged, it's a joke fight.

Then what the hell are people talking about here saying that's not what was supposed to happen? :confused:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

Its well norty. If you use the subtitles, its clear whoever transcribed it is not equated with accentented pseudo cockney. I was watching a playthrough thats in progress, and its one of those typical jabbering sorts. Doesn;t look like he has played any Arkham titles, as he has no realisation that Batman uses stealth (I think he forgot Batman has detective vision). The last one I watched, he spent a long, embarrassing time trying to get to the Boiler deck fights after wildly flailing about and falling into water. I loved that he finally figured it out, and goes "Hey, Chris can do stuff!" as Batman walks through a door and Penguin cackles "What a wanker!"

I flailed wildly in that part, too. Mostly because two times I jumped towards the thing you're supposed to jump to but the game made me jump past it, so I just figured that wasn't the way to do it. It took me a while to figure out that no, the game just has really sloppy programming and you actually are supposed to jump on that beam.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now that I've played a bit more, I'm still a mixed on this game. Anyone have anything comprehensive on what they changed about combat? Because they've definitely made some tweaks on some timings and some other stuff, and I can't say those changes are good ones. Not sure why they'd mess with that part of the game of all things. It was the one thing they didn't have to touch at all. I can't really put my finger on what is wrong exactly, it just feels like there's a degree of animation priority that wasn't in the original two games. What I mean is that you can't easily interrupt an existing animation to do a counter. If someone is attacking you and you're in the middle of anything else, you can't do anything about it, and I don't remember the previous games being like that but maybe my memory is just hazy. If that is a change they made, it's a really bad change. Like, REALLY bad. I'm finding myself really frustrated with the combat and I really enjoyed myself with the previous games' combat. I really want to know if I suddenly got way worse and I'm losing my mind, or if there's something to this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I've honestly had no trouble interrupting attacks to counter so I wonder if that's also a PC issue. Aside from the obvious ones like ground pound which were the same in AC. Like I've been approaching it the same way I did AC combat and aside from the button switch I've had no problems.

Yeah, unless my memory is really awful (very possible), I'm pretty sure that in the previous games, unless you were doing a special attack like a ground takedown, when the counter notification came up pressing Y always interrupted whatever you were doing to counter. Or am I mixing the game up with Assassin's Creed? Because that series also made a change at some point to basically allow you to interrupt any attack with a counter.

Another thing, I haven't gotten a single critical hit yet. People here said they're still in the game. Until I read it I thought they removed them. I don't button mash whatsoever, I'm very careful with my button presses, but no matter what timing I try I haven't been able to land a single one. I was really great at them in AA and AC. I feel like redownloading one of the old games just to see if I'm off my rocker or not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, you're probably misremembering. The window is very large but it's possible to get hit if you mash buttons and end up in a punch animation when an enemy is swinging. The counter window is very large but it isn't 100% all times.

Did they change something else, then? I heard they shortened the counter timing. I really wonder why I'm getting frustrated so much more often in this game than in previous games. I'm really not enjoying the combat for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

Yeah I know, I've got everything max out and think it's the best thing since Lara's hair got its own physics engine.

"TressFX" was terrible and made Lara's hair look like poo poo, but AO's physx implementation is really quite impressive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NaDy posted:

So how many graphics does this game have? I've just ordered a shiny new gfx card and it comes with Batman. Is it Arkham City quality? That looked stunning with PhysX enabled even with a slightly older card.

It looks as good as Arkham City, with no noticeably major enhancements over that. The Physx stuff is a bit better, with snow simulation. However, despite being technically equal to AC, I'd say that AO is a less impressive graphical showpiece, due to the heavy use of pre-rendered cutscenes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous games had very little pre-rendered CG stuff, but AO is chock full of it. Every single major cutscene is CG, including most of the cool non-controlled fight scenes. I seem to remember that stuff being in-engine previous. The CG looks nice, but I'm really not impressed by CG at all anymore and I think it would have been cooler to have that stuff just be in-engine.

The cinematics in AC were awesome because they pushed the graphical engine really far with them, and that game turned out to be easily one of the best looking games out there. AO is unremarkable because they don't push it at all and rely on the CG instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sober posted:

Aaaand I don't think the predator rooms in the story mode repopulate. Just checked the Bank. But the rest of them are a real hell of a trek to get back there (or you can't revisit) and they probably don't. The ranking system makes sense to lock some upgrades behind it but maybe putting a certain order of them kinda restricts creativity if you want to go for them. Guess you might have to rely on NG+ to grind them out.

On the other hand I kinda liked that the skills were locked in a tree though, because in something like AC it made it way too easy to go for what you wanted, which was crits, freeflow, then roll in the xp for ending fights with a fucklarge multiplier. I felt like I needed bonus health before anything here.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate that skills are locked in a tree now, and that you have to get a bunch of boring poo poo before you can unlock the stuff that you want. It's the most boring and least fun thing they could have possibly done with skills so of course they did it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hashy posted:

Sweet pwnbox, Batman

She's not a goon, she's reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

more friedman units posted:

I think the skill trees are the most poorly thought out part of the game. I get what they were going for, but...

Yes. I dislike them so much. The skill trees and the skills unlocked by side quests. Well, the idea of unlocking skills via side quests isn't all that, but I take particular umbrage over critical hits being locked behind a series of side quests only available a third of the way through the game. Critical hits are a very essential part of the combat. It was kinda stupid to make it a skill in AC and it's even more stupid to make that skill hard to get to now. What a mind-blowingly awful decision.

• Locked thread