Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I thought I saw a video saying Gotham is twice as big as AC as well... That's potentially a lot of content there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

You can also throw dudes in the trunk of your car and drive into the ocean, or just throw them into an ice chipper.

edit: seriously Sleeping Dogs kicks rear end. Get it.

How big/detailed is the world in terms of places to go and things to do compared to other games in the genre (Saints Row/GTA4)?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Its decent sized representation of hong kong. No air travel not as big as the games you mentioned, but ground only travel makes it seem bigger. it's big enough that taxis can teleport you like in GTA4, but only to certain areas (parking garages, clothing stores, and missions) as opposed to custom points. But, if you have a motorcycle in opposing traffic and do a wheelie, any car that isn't a lorry/big rig turns into an automatic ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqcWtBtsBKs&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s

On topic:

If the city is bigger than AC, is there any chance in hell for a vehicle? Not even the Batmobile, but just some kind of bat-transport?

Being twice as big as AC would still be fairly small for vehicles, in my opinion. As you mentioned with SD, I think keeping Batman on foot or gliding would make the world seem massive. Giving him a car or motorcycle would give away how small it really is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So are they really not going to do Xbox exclusive skins? My friend preordered anyway, hoping Xbox gets something decent like PS3 is getting, but I couldn't give him any answer, and neither could Gamestop.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Azraden posted:

I wonder how much of this was them realizing GFWL was crap or if they were just forced into it since GFWL is closing next year.

What happens to my GFWL games when it closes?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheCoon posted:

Microsoft will disable all of the nasty drm and you'll be able to keep playing them forever? MS would never abandon the platform and all their loyal customers.

Some developers are working on stripping GFWL out of their games on their own and probably replacing it with steamworks. I wouldn't count on this happening to many games.

I think the only GFWL games I have are GTA4, Arkham Asylum, and Street Fighter 4 AE. Would be nice if at least the Arkham games stripped them out via patches.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheCoon posted:

Arkham Asylum/City are supposedly two of the games getting switched over. Arkham Origins is using Steamworks from the off. USFIV is using Steamworks but I doubt Capcom will go back and fix AE, Rockstar would probably rather you bought GTAV than fix GTAIV.

Well that is good news about the old Arkham games! Great news actually. I am really relieved with that. And I guess I have a reason to just give up on GTA4 and just uninstall now. Is USF4 going to be like a DLC thing for people who have AE already? Or am I totally hosed there?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm playing on PC with a 360 pad. The combat in this game feels wonky as hell, definitely worse than Asylum, which is the only other one I've played with any regularity. Hard to compare it to City since my time with that game is so limited.

I just feel like I am getting hit when I probably shouldn't, and that for the most part, my special moves aren't working when they should (which makes me get hit some more.) Also, is it a thing that the thugs you face get harder as you progress? I don't mean them adding newer, tougher types, I mean literally every "guy" is just more of a pain in the rear end as the game goes on? Or maybe the groups are getting bigger. Fighting in big groups is boring as gently caress. I basically have to mash counter and dodge or just eat free hits. Doing anything but dodging and countering will 100% result in me taking a free hit. Free flow, as a result seems ludicrously difficult to maintain in the biggest fights, where you'd think it would be easier.

I think fatigue is setting in for me because now I am just flat out dying to crime in progress groups or dudes guarding Penguin crates, where before my only deaths were on Deathstroke.

PC is also buggy as hell. I've had broken doors, non solid buildings, sound cutting out, and now today dialog gets cut off if I receive a mission notification. Completely cut off too, as in it completely ends, removing subtitles as well. Batman even stops his ear radio animation.

Lastly, I feel like the overall level design is really... obtuse? I guess that is the best word for it? Getting around Gotham never feels natural or easy, or efficient. It's like everything is placed in a way as to slow the player down as much as possible. Everything is either underneath something, above something, or behind something else, and there are tons of things you feel like you should be able to grapple to but can't, slowing you down even more.

And lastly, the game runs perfectly fine... except cut scenes, which barely run at all half the time.

I broke my one rule about early purchases on single player games, and once again I feel like I have paid the price. It is a shame too because the game would be really great aside from all the weird bugs (the level design is annoying but manageable.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm really glad others have noticed the same things about combat that I have. I was worried that maybe I was just being bad and remembering the other games wrong. I almost feel like putting this game down and resuming my AA run, and maybe starting an AC run, since I got GOTY a week or so ago.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Beat the game the other night. As others have said, the last boss encounter is really disappointing, but I'd say up until that point, the story was great.

Post game, it seems to be freezing a LOT, and for no real reason. Not transitioning into buildings, not quick traveling. Just gliding around.

The Gordon mission at the end had one of my favorite things thus far (spoilers, just to be safe):

PRISONER: Jingle.....bells.....Batman.....smells.
BATMAN: No. *Choke slam*

I thought that the general chat between the thugs was pretty good this time around. Especially when you get around to beating up the last guy in a group and he panics saying "I wasn't with those guys!"

Now, if there's one thing I want to see in the next Batman game, it has to be the option to co-op the whole campaign. Let me pick between Robin, Batgirl or Nightwing to go along with Batman. We could choose from 3 or 4 Robin costumes back in AC, wouldn't be that hard to find a few for Batgirl or Nightwing (even toss in that horrible disco Nightwing number from the 70's.)

Double simultaneous predator rooms? gently caress yes. A handful of Riddler puzzles that can more easily be solved by two people? Yes.

It can't be that hard to have a cut scene see if you've got one player or two and then play the appropriate video to go along.

If Saints Row can do co-op campaign, then Arkham probably can as well, especially since Arkham games don't even need to worry about custom characters. It is more about developer will at this point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Even though they can be powered through with shock gloves, shield guys are still really unfun to fight, same with the shock stick guys although they're barely featured in the story.

It's fun when the aerial attack refuses to work when you need it against a shield guy!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

I bought this game today, played a little bit of it and holy poo poo does the game slow-down and freeze momentarily when there are more than 10 baddies on the screen. It made one fight absolutely impossible to win because I just couldn't time counters (especially knife dodges) and my rear end just got kicked. I'm playing the PS3 version and while I understand this is a quick and dirty Arkham sequel I really was not expecting these kind of issues.

Apparently, you don't really time knife dodges, so much as you hold back and counter during the three swings.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wonder if they have fixed the dialogue bug that made me quit playing? Also, I have seen a bunch of posts on the official forum about horrible FPS during cut scenes. I too experience this, despite the rest of the game running flawlessly...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

You haven't played Asylum in a long time I take it?

I can actually run Asylum at 1080 with all the bells and whistles where as I HAVE to run origins at 720 if I want to be able to see in game cut scenes that have more than 5 frames.

I'm currently trying to burn through Asylum and my only gripe is that Kevin Conroy's tone is so damned cheery after coming directly from A:O. Like way cheerier than I ever remember him being on the cartoon. It feels like he was using his old "Bruce" voice for a lot of it, which he basically abandoned for JL/Beyond. Weird how I didn't seem to notice before.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Origins actually seems better optimized for my setup, because I get a consistently better framerate running Origins vs. City. With everything cranked, Origins looks the best on PC hands down.

During gameplay, I can have almost everything turned up on Origins and it looks great, but then cut scenes happen and it all goes to poo poo. So I figured I kind of want to be able to see those things and decided to just turn things down. :(

All of these games do cloud saves right? I might end up with a new PC before the year ends but I kind of really don't want to start a new save. I already lost my Asylum save when they dropped GFWL.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Commissar Ken posted:

No no no... he was Joker on Young Justice I believe and all he tried to do was a crummy Heath Ledger take. Reaaaaal crummy. DiMaggio was good and he wasn't trying to be Hamil (which anyone who does at this point is nuts) his Joker fit that story pretty well. Michael McKean and Jeff Bennett both did really good Dick Sprang era Jokers in an episode of TBAS and Brave and the Bold respectively.

Origins has a great Hamilesque Joker, and it is better for it. I have no problem with people basically using Hamil as a model for their Joker because Joker is essentially a cartoon character in the same way Optimus Prime, Popeye, and Daffy Duck are. He basically has a voice thanks to Hamil and the only time going off model would work is if the Joker being portrayed is, himself, somehow "off model" like Heath Ledger. I'd say DiMaggio's Joker was pretty Hamilesque, just a lot deeper, but I liked it well enough.

I really hope the next Arkham game basically adapts Under the Red Hood in addition to Hush. Then we can get some crazy Red Hood maps/challenges/story mode stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bonds0097 posted:

I don't think this is true at all. There have been many portrayals and interpretations of Joker of the years, Hamill is just one of them. A very good one but certainly not the 'definitive one'. I can't imagine Joker from 'A Serious House on Serious Earth' (also called Arkham Asylum), being voiced by Hamill. Or the Joke in Dark Knight Returns. I think the 'The Killing Joke' Joker would be well-served by Hamill though.

I thought DiMaggio worked for Red Hood, but was very far removed from Hamil's joker.

I know, which is why I made the "off model" comment. The vast majority of Joker portrayals in comics for the last 25+ years have been within a model that a Hamilesque performance simply works perfectly for. The Arkham games and BTAS were also within that model, despite being different from each other. I'd say Red Hood Joker is also within the model (since it is based on a main continuity comic story) and while DiMaggio obviously doesn't sound like Hamil, he's also not doing anything with the portrayal that Hamil wouldn't have done, since this this Joker was basically written well within the expected model for the character.

Emerson was great for DKR, but that Joker is also pretty different from the established "basic" Joker model we've had for decades. Ditto for Heath Ledger.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I figure the next logical step is moving into GTAV territory. We get full sized Gotham, with outside areas including Wayne Manor, and Bludhaven. We also get multiple playable characters that we might even possibly be able to switch between when not doing a story mission.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ahaha, so my game just bugged out and I couldn't progress to start the Firefly fight. The STUPID part where it goes all 2D as you try to cross the bridge wreckage bugged for me. There is a grapple point at the end, which I used, and proceeded to get stuck in the wall instead of perching on it. I hit forward A to climb up, but ended up just dropping back and now the grapple point is completely gone so I cannot get back up for no apparent reason. This is not counting the ledge grab jump you have to make before this part that flat out did not work the first 2 times I tried it leaving me confused as to what I was supposed to do. Seriously, I cannot think of a single player game that I have had to load up guides for more than this one in the last several years. The overall design choices and bugs are mind bogglingly awful, which sucks because the story is great. Oh well, back to City I guess.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think the answer lies within enemy aggressiveness overall. Playing Asylum and City again, it is definitely noticeable that you simply have more time to hit people before you have to counter again. The most damning piece of evidence to me is that in the older games, I can knock someone down and do a ground takedown without always getting punched in the back of the head, where as in Origins, it is almost guaranteed that if I try to KO someone on the ground with even one other person still standing, I will be interrupted.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Good to see the bridge grapple bug was fixed? Hopefully it is the one I had and not some random other one.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Save games are synced to a cloud right (for PC)? I am switching computers sometime this week and don't know if I am supposed to be backing up my save somewhere or something.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Keeku posted:

Regarding the new DLC: it was surprisingly good. I was expecting just 1-2 challenges, but 5 in the campaign was pretty great. Especially enjoyed the last one with Shiva, although I feel they probably should have increased the trophy scores for that one (I hit a 90k score before Shiva even appeared, just feels 50k for 3 trophies was a little low.) The actual fight was fun though.

I really like the format of the campaign having a little bit of a flavor cutscene before/after the challenges, and hope they continue this into future Batman games or DLC.

Why spoiler this? We know she is in the DLC because of the trailer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Also, Origins is in the same continuity as Asylum and City, right? I only ask because the first meeting between Joker and Harley is presented completely different in the Asylum recording and the Origins sequence. Not that I care, but, y'know, that kind of thing gets to continuity-obsessed fanboys.

Not like me.

I don't even care.

Like...at all.

:(

That bugged me when I decided to replay Asylum. I remembered the tapes existing when I got to that part in Origins, but when I listened to them again in Asylum I was a bit disappointed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It'd be great if one of the future Arkham games added a Boss Rematch/Boss Rush Mode.

Pretty much every game with boss battles should probably do this.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

redbackground posted:

Getting smacked around like a baby :allears:

edit: There wouldn't really be reason for him to be in B:AA, anyway, since Sionis isn't the type to be sent to an insane asylum for treatment (same with the Penguin). But as I type this, I remember that a bunch of Blackgate prisoners were sent to Arkham as part of Joker's plan, so BM could have shown up that way, if it came to that.

His mask was in one of the doctor's offices, and there is a profile entry for him that explains his origin and other details.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wasn't there a thing where they said nearly half of all CEOs exhibited signs of psychopathy and sociopathy?

Also, he carved a mask which he always wears from his father's coffin, who he murdered because he didn't like him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman Forever was pretty good. I think it just gets a lot of flak because it was succeeded by Batman and Robin.

And the wonky out of character Two Face. And the neon aesthetics.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

I read something by him where he said that he originally wanted the character to have a black costume, but the ink all ran together into an incomprehensible mess. 1940s comic book art wasn't really all that sophisticated, I guess.

Wasn't Spider-Man's costume also supposed to be Red and Black, but they used blue highlights for ink reasons and eventually dropped the black all together?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

DC Animated Films have a tendency to be pretty good, so I'm excited, actually. Just as long as it doesn't involve the Joker. :colbert:

Off topic, I kind of want Anarky to come back in the next Arkham title. At the same time, Gotham's not as corrupt politically in present time as it was in Arkham Origins, so perhaps he wouldn't be as effective a character in Arkham 4.

Gotham City successfully turned a neighborhood into a massive prison camp filled with the city's most dangerous criminals and had a military force providing the security and you think Anarky wouldn't have a thing to say about it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

And there's this guy - the Wrath!

I was kind of bummed that the story DLC is just gonna be a Heart of Ice re-tread instead of giving us something new, but oh well. Better an overabundance of Batman than not. Speaking of which, I just read the entire Gotham Central arc and really hope that Gotham TV series follows suit. I liked, for the most part, how Batman's relationship with the cops was portrayed in Origins, and I especially liked a lot of the cop dialog all throughout the game. Gotham PD really came across as the most corrupt police force on Earth, as it should.

The show takes place right after the Wayne murder, so really it is going to be a regular cop show with a Gotham overcoat. The only remotely cool thing they could do would be going into the weird history of Gotham's big wealthy families.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is Origins worth $30 as it is now or should I wait? I was a bit cautious beforehand because of the developer is different and when the game came out I heard it wasn't as fun as City and was extremely buggy to the point it wasn't worth getting until a few patches rolled out.

$30 is fine, but if you wait even longer you could probably get both it and the DLC for cheaper. The multiplayer is worthless, so there isn't really an expiration date on the game. It'd probably be cheaper during the next seasonal sale. Or at least during the Summer sale.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

Criminals are just a cowardly lot imho and exaggerate like hell.

"Oh GOD, he's been maimed! I haven't seen wounds like this since the sante prisca prison murders!"
*Thug is hanging off a gargoyle in perfect health*

"This Batman... he's a beast! He's completely savaged this man!"
*Thug was put in a sleeper hold, is quietly napping with a thumb in his mouth*

That kind of reminds of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hopefully this next Batman game is truly Next Gen, and we get some deeper gameplay that might not have been possible on older systems. Either way though I won't be buying it so early this time around. Origins ended up having a big sale for Christmas on Steam so I felt like I kind of wasted money jumping on so quickly, especially since the game was pretty buggy early on as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I didn't have any problem with the writing of Origins outside of some of the Bane stuff being weak as hell. City annoyed me more since everything involving Catwoman tended to be awful and downright over the top misogynistic. It was uncomfortable playing as her.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I feel like Bane was wasted in this game. They wasted Bane's infiltration of the Batcave and they wasted Bane in general since they wanted to give him the Titan juice so quickly. It would have been better to leave all that out of Origins and then do a proper Knightfall-esque story later (that could be set right before Asylum.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well I mean they had a chance to use the time before Asylum to do good with him, but they rushed to get him to Asylum status for some weird reason. This means that he's been locked up in the years following this game up to Asylum.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's Oracle.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure the bo staff is Tim's signature weapon.

While this is true, I also feel like the animated series gave Dick the bo staff, since his design was heavily based on Tim's (at the time) anyway. But I can't remember.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I got my cartoons mixed up. I thought Dick only started using his sticks when he became Nightwing, never as Robin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That video glitch scared the poo poo out of me because when I first started using this computer I was having an issue with HD videos freezing and crashing my PC. Well done, Scarecrow.

• Locked thread