Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Assassin's creed 2 Brotherhood has that really lovely system where you can chain execute people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It looks a bit better than I was expecting. Its what I expect to see if people don't know how to play.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think it's fine. It works better than Batman and Robin simply knocking out everyone in their path with ease.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Here is a video where the Caped Crusaders actually win the round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkH2BDwat4g

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Even if it sucks, I am still somewhat excited for the multiplayer. Its nice to have things that go beyond bland tdm.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's also the fact that the final area has a secret mission you need to complete that the game doesn't really tell you about. If you don't complete it, you get a bad ending. :v:

I never knew this. I have the game at home and just thought it was just one ending to it. I must look this up. I even had all the cheats unlocked.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

raditts posted:

A random punk says it in Batman '89, you might be thinking of that.

I hear this every time I listen to "The Future" from the 89 Batman soundtrack.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

DrNutt posted:

It's still my favorite Batman movie, thanks to the amazing soundtrack and Michael Keaton at the top of his game.

Yeah, Prince loving owns, although it is definitely an odd combination. Tim Burton, Batman, and Prince.

I think my favorite is Batman Begins, but The 1989 Batman beats out The Dark Knight Rises at least. I recently saw Batman Returns, and it wasn't as cool as I remembered it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

DrNutt posted:

^I think the stars just aligned with Batman '89, so you ended up with a perfect blend of the camp from the 60s show, and the dark as gently caress nature of what Batman represents. I don't think it's a movie that could be made in today's Hollywood. I loved the Nolan movies, personally, but the ultra-gritty realistic take on Batman is a little limited for my tastes.^

I agree. It somehow loving works. One of my favorite scenes from the movie is the Art Museum with Partyman blaring in the background.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I like Tim Burton and all but I didn't think he's in the league of Spielberg in terms of being able to rest on his laurels and just make boring movies for the rest of his career. Or maybe he is?

I don't think he is. Spielberg still makes some decent films. Tintin was better than I thought it would be. Coraline was the best Tim Burton movie in years, and Tim Burton didn't even have anything to do with it.

As for the games, I find it hard to go back to Asylum. It had the better story, but City added quite a bit to the combat that I really miss. Plus after a certain point, you have to deal with the plants and they are loving annoying.

Jerusalem posted:

This comes up a fair bit in Asylum - Joker and Scarecrow at least often point out that he's just as crazy as any of them, and Joker regularly taunts his thugs not just with the notion of the big scary Batman coming to get them, but the big scary lunatic Batman coming to get them.

I felt like Batman:Under the Red Hood did this really well. It was the movie that made me realize that Batman can have some loving stupid beliefs. By the end of the movie, I wanted the Red Hood to win.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 23, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

All kinds of media is making rethink Batman's "don't kill" policy. Under the Red Hood had be rooting for the Red Hood to win and this game just makes me think that Batman is an idiot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Except it wasn't. Jason Todd is very clearly portrayed as someone who is wrong in every single thing he says and thinks. If you seriously believe that movie was rooting for him, then you read far too much into stuff that wasn't there.

EDIT: My bad

It was a typo. I meant had me rooting for him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

True. The "no kill" policy is more at the forefront of these games when you have characters like Joker killing dozens and dozens of people. Batman in the earliest issues (like '39-'42) did actually kill in a few instances, but honestly it's just one of those traits that makes him more heroic and I'm fine with that. Batman: The Animated Series actually addressed it nicely by having Bruce Wayne as a board member at Arkham Asylum so he can improve security and make his job as Batman a little easier. It's a comic book so certain conceits apply. Still though, I like getting into the Batman psyche as much as comics, movies, and games allow.

EDIT: To get back to the thread topic, I liked that the Bruce Wayne skin didn't have that same grim expression as the Batman skins. He actually looks a little saddened and has some bruising on his face, which I liked.

I thought that the game should have went deeper with the character. Gordon makes a awesome statement midway through the game about how even though Batman doesn't kill, he still turns in people with broken bones, etc.

But in the end it is just a video game because the beating he gives the Joker at the end would easily kill most people.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I do think it is pretty funny that Frank Castle/The Punisher doesn't really have many arch-nemesis due to the way his character is set up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Am I the only one who didn't want to beat up Joker in the end? I felt sorry for him, kind of, and he was completely trapped, so I just wanted to leave and let the police take him, but the game forced me to give a beatdown. I guess I take the "no kill" policy a little further, and would prefer to do the minimum amount of violence necessary to stop the villains.

Of course, the only reason not killing enemies is a debate is because they always get out eventually and kill more, and the only reason that happens is because popular villains sell comics. In real life, someone like the Joker would be locked up in a supermax prison and would never see freedom again.

The other question is, Batman doesn't kill villains, but does he have to save them? Origins and most other media clearly say yes. Nolan's movies were inconsistent, where he left Ra's to die on the train but saved the Joker from falling to his death. Batman could get in trouble or be tempted by killing villains, but when one villain kills another, does he really have to risk his life to save them?

Obviously not, since he barely lifted a finger when Joker killed the Electrocutioner

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I was kind of annoyed by the Penguin plot line. I thought they were going to do much more with it but it just peters out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So is that really it with the Penguin plotline? I was expecting some closure from it like there is with the Black Mask plot but it just ends.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

There is kinda more in the Barbara Gordon side-mission where you go around destroying the locks on the weapons shipments I guess, but otherwise nope - that character doesn't make an appearance again for the rest of the game.

Maybe its DLC. I kind of find it weird that they went through the time and trouble to develop several characters that are barely used in the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think people use Joker so much in that he is very similar to Trevor from GTA V, you can pretty much write him into whatever role that you want to.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

Both Batman and Batman Returns were great. Keaton was an excellent Batman/Bruce Wayne and Nicholson was phenomenal. The overall artistic design in the first two movies was just right for Batman as well. I don't care if Burton didn't read the comics, he nailed the movies.

Forever just looked like a lovely neon night club. I didn't bother with Batman & Robin but apparently I should because it was so hilariously bad.

Also Origins looks a lot like a Burton/Nolan film mashup in terms of style and I think it worked really well. I really need to replay this in NG+.

The 1989 Batman is great because they got Tim Burton and Prince to work together on a Batman movie and the output somehow works.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the Nolan movies, especially the 2nd and 3rd ones did their very best to portray Bruce Wayne as a crazy guy in a bat suit. It actually estranges him from his closest friend.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The whole control obsession was a major plot point to The Dark Knight Rises where Batman refused to allow the police to use any of his arsenal and they end up falling into the wrong hands.

To bring it to the game, there is a conversation with Alfred where Batman is pretty pissed that Gordon didn't listen to him on the bridge despite everything working out in the end

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, I kind of like it that if they do bring Joker back, have him be in game, but locked up in Arkham the whole time. Give him the same plexiglass room they gave to clayface in the first one. Let Batman come storming in, demanding to see the Joker, because he's convinced that he's behind whatever plot would be in game. But no matter what happens, Joker is there, at Arkham, behind the glass the whole game. And if you look using detective vision, you see that he's got a skeleton, so he aint clayface.

And then at the very end of the game, you find out that Joker has been masterminding the whole plot from his prison cell the whole time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think it was terrible at all in AC and don't get me wrong, I loved the tightness of AA myself. It reminded me of games like Metroid and Castlevania and the things that Nintendo used to do so well. I just can't see another way to expand the series and add new elements to it without bringing in a vehicle or two. Or something like that.

I wouldn't mind driving a tumbler, a bat cycle, a boat or a bat wing, so long as the gameplay is as fun, the controls are as tight as the combat has been in these games and, like someone else mentioned, so long as traveling isn;t a chore. Most folks seem to think that the "beat the poo poo out everyone" element's getting a tad stale.

I don't know. This is just me talkin.

Maybe they can make it so Batman knows how to swim? Water is his arch nemesis it seems.

Then again, who wants water and swimming levels?

The PSX Batman and Robin game was sort of like that, and it even had some detective elements. It wasn't all that great when you put it as the sum of its parts but it had some interesting concepts.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Kaizer88 posted:

The devs said when they were working on Arkham City that the reason they didn't add any vehicles was because they didn't feel like they could do Batman justice with them. Players would most likely crash into things and fumble around, ruining the whole super-competent image of Batman. Ofcourse, they probably never saw those people in this thread diving into the water all the time...

Or getting punched in the back of the head.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

I once spent the majority of a fight just sliding around the floor.

I tea bagged the black mask.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How so? All of the bosses were essentially based on enemies already in the game but expanded upon. Deathstroke, for instance, was just a souped up martial artist in terms of concept.

It beats the hell out of mashing R2 for an entire boss fight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im kind of wondering how a play through would work out where you are only allowed to beatdown people and nothing else. Would it be easier or harder? It would definitely be a different way of playing the game for me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sober posted:

Can you batswarm? Or at least counter?

I guess those are modifiers, but I never use batswarm in the first place. But you could allow counters are simply just evade over every thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think I enjoyed Arkham Origins far more than the other games. The only thing is that I played Arkham City to death to the point where it bleeds over into this game. But the boss fights and new enemy types are fun to play.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

I do blame them, because they had room to maneuver, and they wasted it on being scared of doing more. My favorite thing about Arkham City is that it was ballsy. It threw poo poo out there, and was like, "deal with it." Penguin has a glass bottle stuck in his eye. Solomon Grundy is a twelve-foot-tall monster being held in a basement with ball-and-chains. Joker... well, hell. You know all about Joker if you've played the game.

They had a chance to take characters like Black Mask, Firefly, and Deathstroke and make them their own. Instead, they set them as mini-bosses for poo poo that Rocksteady had already covered. gently caress that. I get that you're under pressure with Rocksteady doing something else, but at least own the stuff that you can collect. I would have loved to have seen Black Mask as the primary enemy in the game. Instead, we get a bunch of fuckery and he's relegated to second-tier status, and his wrap-up is in a side mission. C'mon, man. That's not being safe, that's not even being interested in trying.

I give WB Montreal credit for actually making a better Bane than Rocksteady ever did. I also give them credit for actually making some pretty good boss fights. For Arkham City, all I can remember was the Mr. Freeze boss and the terrible Clayface fight.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I still like the conversation you get when you go to the church at the very beginning of the game in Arkham City. You are supposed to grapple up after dropping a smoke, but if you wait a while, the goons start having a debate about what to do before they finally eventually shoot you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPe7wmaCBo

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I still can't really see the difference other than having to counter a little bit more in Origins

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish someone would record this behavior because I've never seen it, either in my own game or in videos I've watched, and I'd really like to see examples of it. I don't doubt it exists I just really want to see it.

Ive seen the gumby slide, but I have seen that in Arkham City too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Its especially funny when you do it in New Game Plus mode where you pretty much can apprehend the Riddler within 20 minutes of him announcing his plan.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Glue grenades are worth it for his comments though. :v:

Anyway, what's the point of Can Get All Riddler Trophies now in City? With Asylum it's the fireworks, but I'm drawing a blank with this one. Been so long since I did a campaign runthrough.

You get to punch that smug rear end in a top hat in his drat face. Thats why.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I know you need the disruptor upgrades, the freeze grenades, and the line launcher, but im not sure which one is the last one you get in the story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nthman posted:

Are we taking bets yet on who the main villain will be in the next Batman game?

Calendar man.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

A game where you play as Jason Todd fighting crime, and Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

God, how many Riddler thugs do I have to beat up to get all the secrets on the map? Alright, so I'm in the Steel Mill and I got no fuckin' clue how I'm meant to get the last two things I need in Cooling Tunnel B. There's a Harley thing and a trophy down near the exit. But I can't exit that way. There's only one way in as far as I know, and it's through the door you come in front later on.

I can't get down there due to the water and the door being too low. So how the devil do I get over there? Did another door open up and I just missed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3aGeqHk4Y

• Locked thread