Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Goldskull posted:

Good news for UK fans:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=603004433053090&set=a.573739832646217.1073741828.284302084923328&type=1&theater
Kapow have sorted out their wholesale deal, meaning upcoming MP's will be £55 or thereabouts. gently caress yes! I can just about get away with that price for MP Wheeljack to my lass...

Yeah this is super cool and means those smaller MP's are now the same price as getting it shipped EMS from Japan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Steve Vader posted:

The important thing to know about Soundwave is if his arm and fingers are poseable enough to tap his own eject button. And if he's thick enough to put multiple tapes in his chest at once, so they can keep coming out in one go.

His tape area has a spring loaded backplate which pushes the tapes forward. When you put more than one tape in it locks and there's a button on his back you can press to unlock it and push the tapes forward so you can get them out easily! MP Soundwave is incredible.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You need the character's counterpart. If you do a Leader Optimus you need a Leader whoever his antagonist is otherwise you get your toys out and you have a guy who is twice as big as the dude he's meant to be facing off against and it doesn't work. I think kids always want the main character over all others, but in terms of selling stuff I remember my mum always going "but you've already got a Spider-man" and I'd go "yeah! I do!" so unless the toy was drastically different I would skip it in favour of something new, like Morbius or Sandman or Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Vulture, Venom, Carnage heck I even had a Smythe toy! Jesus I had Hydroman! The only actual Spider-men I had were one that shot a thing out of his hand on a string, a super poseable one and one with loads of arms because he was turning into the Manspider. I didn't ask for a Spidermobile for Christmas I asked for the Spiderslayer robots. Maybe I am way outside the norm, but as a child having only Spider-man would have been incredibly boring and impossible to play with without at least one villain to put him against.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty sure Black Zarak had the special head that was more proportional compared to Scorponok who had that huge body with a regular headmaster size head with a silly hat on top.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Trypticon was one of the first holes I filled in my collection once I got purchasing power. Even though he totally sucks in the cartoon he's a really big dinosaur! I'd love a CHUG Trypticon and Scorponok. Also a Beast Wars Scorponok update.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The Rage posted:

Oh cool its a female Drift. I love the originality of this fandom.
It's a robot with a big sword and that means it's Drift?n It has a legit geisha thing going on instead of just being a guy with a big katana as a joke about Tokyo Drift. I love that head design and if it's even half as good as the concept it'll be nuts. The wing design with the turbines makes me think it might even be a neat looking plane too. We're getting an Autobot Geisha/Kabuki VTOL Plane and you're complaining about originality? I always thought the hate on Drift was because he was just a regular rear end robot that was also a katana master and loved Japan because that would be cool and that was used in lieu of a personality but we're getting a legit Samurai Autobot plane! She works perfectly as the Autobot counterpart to Bludgeon, he's the evil samurai brute-force altmode guy and she's the cool Kabuki dancing VTOL jet-plane lady.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Same about the gun for me, G1 Metroplex had chrome and two guns! Just gotta decide if that's worth the 50% extra cost over the regular one or not.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Hexatron arrived today and he's pretty cool! The box has a front flap with a magnet on so you can open it up and look at him and a picture of Hexatron with hella swords.

He's posable, he's huge and so far he hasn't been a nightmare to transform and easy enough to figure out little things left out of the instructions (such as not rotating his belt pieces). In classic third party tradition one sword is in the sheathe super tight and the other is just fine.

His hands are super cool, he has poseable thumbs and fingers (individual) but his palm is still most of a peghole so he holds his guns and swords perfectly fine no matter how you have the fingers done, which is a problem gunpla has been having forever.

Some bits are tight as hell and scary, some bits are just right. Only done FLYING WOLF and APC so far, but they both look good. Well the wolf is dumb but the head looks much nicer in person and not so tiny.

Edit: Ok laser pistol instructions aren't great, it tells you to rotate the waist after you've locked his legs together and in that position I can't get enough clearance on his big wolf feet to get over his backpack/trigger bit. Easy enough to just uncouple the legs but still.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 26, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ok I've put Hexatron into each of his modes and they're pretty much as expected for me. The APC, Tank and Spacefighter are all goodo as is his fantastic robot mode. Wolf is dumb and the gun is basically the Spacefighter with no wings and the guns in a different place.

The instructions could be a little clearer in places, especially in regards to moving his belt around to plug the sword sheathes/other guns into in the various modes, but it's easy enough to figure out where you should put them when you look. Speaking of that, he's easy to transform and everything makes sense! My one thing I've not got yet is the panels that fill in the back of his legs, it feels like I'm doing something wrong when I have to try hard to get it past his groin, but nothing has felt like it's going to break so whatever. He's been the first MMC thing I've owned and I'm super stoked for the arrival of BOVIS and crew based on this effort!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Computron looks good, but I hope that thing on his back comes off like the early concept pics cos that silhouette kinda sucks with that being so huge. I like that Mindwipe, but I'd like him to be a bit beefier in his torso, but he's cool.

That Scorponok is killing me. Look at it. Finally, 27 years later, he is as big as Fort Max.

Keldroc posted:

Also, a little size comparison of Maketoys' Feral Rex to Unique Toys' whatever the hell they're calling it.

Feral Rex is MMC not Maketoys, but yep yep yep yep yep.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I did the shoulder fix for Blitzwing and he's cool as hell and turns into a Mospeada jet. Honestly though the mold has a lot of problems that it really shouldn't have had with the tiniest amount of QC. The rubber nosecone is ridiculous, if just the grey bit at the end was rubber but the other bit was hard plastic it would probably solve all of the silly head/nosecone nonsense. Also his head is way too big in a major case of the gimmick taking away from the final product. I still love the guy though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Asia exclusive Metroplex arrived today and the box is massive, this is a ridiculous product.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's nice work if you can get it! Because I'm a stupid idiot I fell for the stupid idiot trick of shiny paint and an extra gun and decided that the biggest Transformer ever made was a fitting end for the last of what was originally my TFCon fund.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I love the FP Mindwipe so much. Original Mindwipe was a robot with some bat wings that folded up into a cube with bat wings and a little flip up bat head.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thunderwing and Bludgeon weren't pretenders but were still good renditions of the characters. Having the Headmasters turn up and just have regular heads, but be like Human Alliance toys with a little robot instead of a human (Nebulan Alliance?). Or even just a regular toy no gimmicks.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
For the amount of kibble that Optimus has basically amounting to Beastwars level shellformer but he's a vehicle instead of an armadillo I would expect him to look good as a truck.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
My Smokescreen arrived yesterday too and he's a real blast. I'm getting the other two Datsun bros for Christmas so this is the first experience with the thing and it's real cool. The paint apps are sharp, he's got the big dummo head, he rolls and fits together well. Just everything about him is cool and I give him two thumbs would recommend.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I checked that wiki page for what he's done and eehhhh. He did the two worst Masterpieces and didn't do the one good Alternity mold. He didn't even do MP Starscream, he did the Movie one, which I really like? He did Unicron and the Legends Devastator too which are both neato! Overall he's got a pretty good record for me. I hope he keeps with the release style of multiple smaller MPs with a big one every now and then.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh I get the name. 4 U's look like UU UU which looks like two W's which stands for Weird Wolf.

It's Quadruple U. Double U Double U. WW.

My top is obv. MP Soundwave, but Hexatron and Bovis are also real cool. They have nice transformations without falling for the "more complex/fiddly = more betterer" thing that can happen with special collector things.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 6, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I really want the Computron, even if only so MP Grimlock has someone to use that dang brain helmet on. He hasn't been put up anywhere yet, right?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

SpikeMcclane posted:

I think you're majorly overstating both the size and quality of Soul of Chogokins. SoCs (and their brother DX Chogokins) are a bit overrated, probably because they're these expensive things that many fans have only ever seen in pictures. All the one's I've owned except one have been super fragile, normally due to tiny joints holding overly heavy parts. They all look great on the shelf, but I wouldn't consider them the highest of high end or any better than a MP Transformer on average. However, if you're into bandai's robot figures, 3P figures suddenly look way more reasonably priced.

Yeah Soul of Chogokins are weird in that they try and make them have whatever gimmick the robot had in the show while also making them super accurate display pieces and they are filled with metal where they don't need to be, pretty much as a "just because we can and it'll double the price" idea. Combattler V and Voltes V both separate into their 5 component vehicles it's nuts how well it works for how good they look as the big combined guys, but then they end up with these huge blocks of metal for their upper bodies and their ankle joints are flimsy due to the transformation and you can all guess where that leads. For those sort of guys I recommend the Super Robot Chogokins, which are like half the size and 1/4 the price, but they focus on just being a really good rendition of the robot and if I'm honest I don't need a Getter Robo that can split into three different ships and recombine in the different forms if for 10% of the price I can get a really solid Shin Getter-1 that's been well designed to pose and has most of it's metal in the lower legs to keep it stable. Soul of Chogokin Gunbuster is the pride of my collection, but for £60 I've also got the SRC one and the accessory set and while it's not as impressive as the big one, it doesn't matter that it doesn't split into the two Buster Machines or the Buster Collider are partswapping instead of part of the main thing and I can actually play with the drat thing.

Short version: Soul of Chogokin is way more than you ever need in a thing and it suffers for it, Super Robot Chogokin highly recommended, they are super good and fun to touch and that's why most of us are Transformers dudes I guess.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Keldroc posted:

Of the two SoCs I own, one is super unfun, unbalanced, overly fiddly nonsense, and one is a crazy accurate super awesome recreation of the robot in question. It seems like quite the crapshoot considering the price you pay, not that you can't turn around and sell it for as much as you paid a year later.

All 3 of the Macross Frontier ones I own are awful messes that look good as their things but getting them there is so unfun that I boxed one of them almost immediately. The Gunbuster and DGG set are amazing, especially considering one transforms into a horse and the Combattler/Voltes are good if you're careful with how you pose them, but as I mentioned they're super top heavy so you need solid stances for them. The difference between the Macross dudes and the other ones are nuts, especially considering that they were the same price.

I still sort of want the new Mazinger though and there were the shots of SoC GaoGaiGar, but SRC GGG is so good and if the SoC has to combine from all the parts it'll be a nightmare.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

SpikeMcclane posted:

Out of curiosity, which Frontier Chogokins do you have? I've got and enjoy the Quarter, both 117s and the second version 29. I was never able to find an affordable renewal 25 or the Koenig Monster back when I had money and the first version 25s and 29 kind of disintegrated if touched.

Yup, first versions is what I've got! I've got VF25G and movie Alto and the Lucifer Gamma (which is a huge improvement over the VF25 due to the locking shoulders) and the Armour Parts for Alto. The super parts that came with the blue one weren't put together right, the rubber grippy pad in one of the big pods isn't flush and either bends the wing or doesn't sit as it should. The Armour Parts are super cool but combine that and the general instability of the thing and yowza I just put that on the stand and even went so far as holding that on my lap when I moved house a couple of years ago because it will seriously just explode if you touch it wrong.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You put Aussenseiter in horse mode and get the Kotobukiya model kit for robot Aussenseiter you dingus! It's such a great model kit and I am glad I listened to your recommendation on it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Was Optibotimus the dude who went into major debt buying prototype transformers for their massively inflated prices so he could be the first to review them?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Kapow listing for the iGear seekers mentions each one having an extra head. They're neat, but they're pretty expensive. I get that it's the set of 3 and it works out to ~£80 per guy, but it's a big lump to do in one go.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Have any of you got experience with Fans Toys stuff? I'm really liking the look of the MP Slag thing, but how have their previous efforts been?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Guess I'm gonna put in an order for a dang dinosaur. Thanks y'all.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rita Repulsa posted:

At the very least huffer/pipes could serve as nintendo-label mario and luigi transformers.

G2 masterpiece Sideswipe came in the mail. This is the first masterpiece transformer I've owned. I was expecting him to be far more fiddly like the movieverse toys or alternators, I had seen his transformation in reviews and was uneasy about the feet being assemble like cardboard boxes and his torso assembly, but he's loving G2 comics Sideswipe and far more affordable than most third party transformers for higher quality so I pounced on the preorder. My worries were unfounded really, I'm impressed. All in all once you've gotten the hang of it he's fairly solid. You never have to massage panels into place, and everything is on right angles so there's no weird parts placement to memorize going back and forth. I might take photos at some point.

MP Grimlock, MP10 Optimus, Soundwave, Sideswipe and the Datsun bros are all super simple and satisfying transformations. They're not incredible like Generations Scourge, but they're certainly fun enough to mess with without having to devote 20 minutes and getting the instruction book out. I recommend all of them! I'm pretty sure Grimlock and Soundwave are getting reissued this year, so definitely look at picking them up if you can.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Keldroc posted:

Well, there's a figure I never thought I'd see get called out as superior to Masterpieces.

I meant specifically the magic trick that is his transformation, I love it!

GrimGypsy posted:

I hope that 'season 2' of the comics gives the highlight to some guys like Jazz who would be cool to see in the main cast of one of the series instead of just sorta bangin' around in the background.

Edit: Apparently the Takara MP-21 teaser.

I, uh. Huh.

Quick, someone cooler than me compare it to the 3rd party Bumblebee (Bii?).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

So MP21 Bumblebee is going to come with Spike in his Exosuit which also transforms.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 6, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rei_ posted:

The back half of the roof bothers me, I think some of its problems might become more evident once you put paint on them (and I'm nitpicking here because it's a Masterpiece design) but otherwise looks very promising.

I'm the same right now, the top of his chest (back of the roof) looks not so hot, but I'm hoping it'll look better with paint and stuff, but we'll have to see.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
This is gonna be my MP10 and Bumblepuff

Steve Vader posted:

I am an Old Man on the Internet as well, and I hated Bumblebee BECAUSE he was constantly on screen, clogging up my robot time with his dumb yellow head and his dumb human buddies. I always wanted all robots all the time. SHOW THE GUY WITH THE LIGHT-UP TALKY-EARS MORE!

We already had the humans to ask questions, Bumblebee not knowing anything as well was just silly. Big Bumblebee moments in G1 cartoon: Finding a place for the Dinobots to get taken away to and getting stuck in a manhole. He wasn't even the only one with a jetpack!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Captain Invictus posted:

Has anyone ordered from these guys before? Are they legit? The description for Bumblebee doesn't scream "professionalism" to me in particular.

Yeah they're legit. A couple of years ago I ordered something from them and when it turned out they didn't actually have one they apologized profusely and spent over a week searching for one to fulfill my order despite it being discontinued for 3 years at that point and upgraded my shipping to EMS for free when they finally found one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Everything is anime.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The problem with the toy for my eye is the position of the legs. See the the gap before the hinge for the torso in front of the leg? If the legs were there (so like one leg width forward) instead of where they are the split of his body would be much better.

I'm awful so excuse the ms paint, but something like this seems better proportioned in terms of torso length

compared to

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TheDK posted:

Wow that looks A LOT better! Even with the weird green blob.

Another thing that would help is if he had 2-3 more pairs of useless T-rex arms.

Yeah I'm colourblind and forgot the colour match tool existed when I did those two blobs, but I hope it illustrates the point of the leg position!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Riftshot and Recoiler arrived today, the QC on them is a bit iffy, a loose shoulder here, some flash there and the holes for guns to go in that aren't hands are everso slightly too small but all of those are easy enough to fix with a little filing and scraping with a craft knife. My Revolver had the tiny hole problem so maybe it's just a thing with the mold. I really like their accessories and they look cool with just one of the armour pieces on in vehicle mode and I really like how the full armour looks. The robot mode armour looks better in hand than in photos, the big arms don't look as weird and gorilla-esque and the shoes ain't bad.

The Fansproject people have knocked the headsculpts out of the park though, Riftshot definitely looks like a salty dude like Ironhide and Recoiler's Splinter Cell goggles lift up and he's got a real cheeky looking face with some really bold eyes I love it! The little dudes are all unique with different details and heads. Riftshot's guy (or I guess actual Riftshot) has got a crash helmet like head which fits the melee guy with the battering ram car.

I like them, but for what they cost for the whole set I would have liked the issue of the weapon holes being slightly too small to not exist and a comic in the instruction booklets would have been nice, but whatever! I think they're neat and I'm a sucker for robot teams with a sort of mass produced look so these guys are like an Autobot 08th MS Team for me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, blue Swoop for me too. The red one is too red, the torso becomes just a big red blob to me. Looks super cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
He's a space pirate not a sea pirate and turning into something work related is pretty gauche imo. Imagine being the captain of a band of pirates and you turn into a shark. You make people walk the plank and then you have to run around and turn into a shark and eat them yourself. Awful. Also I guess he wasn't always a pirate, he was something where being a lion would make sense and then he became a pirate to get vengeance on the Cybertronians or whatever.