Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cheekio posted:

If you don't have a blog, you should. Commentary like this is few and far between, and absolutely what the dialog around gaming should sound like.

Honestly I'd read it even if it wasn't about video games, that was some good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'm pumped for this game. I hope the soundtrack is available right from the get-go this time!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Jones is legit but I'm also a fan of Carl. Getting through some of the encounters with just the drill is a lot like whack-a-mole, except you gotta hold down the moles and perform a lobotomy before one is up long enough to shoot you.

It's a lot harder now that you aren't immune to gunfire while executing. :sigh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The knife is rad and the start with knife mask is one of the easier "get me through the game" choices, up there with Tony.

But it just doesn't have the personal touch of the power drill. :unsmigghh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The level creator was also supposed to be a free patch for the original Hotline Miami rather than something used to push its sequel, but :homebrew:

I've never heard that, can you provide a source?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Actually the Dennaton guys were pretty mature about the reaction to that scene in the demo and said they were going to evaluate whether it was worth keeping in the game at all, I'm glad they chose an easy way for people to opt out of having to see something like that because it's pretty hosed up.

Please don't turn this thread into what it was when that demo had just come out. :ohdear:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'm pretty psyched that the payday 2/hotline miami crossover is getting more content, but I am curious to see if the Jacket character pack actually comes with being able to play as Jacket. It'd be kinda cool but I feel like my world would be shattered if they had to give him a voice actor.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Jacket had saved somebody's life and had a brush with the Miami SWAT team, and quite simply was just better at what he did than every other 50 Blessings pawn. It's not just a coincidence that Jacket finds other dead mask-wearers out in the field - That's almost certainly part of the plan for 50 Blessings, that their pawns fail and are killed before they can get too much heat or worse, start asking questions. Jacket accomplishes the former, Biker the latter.

Mostly I interpret it that way because it makes Jacket's one act of mercy be the first strike leading to his 'termination', and that's cool in a sad sort of way.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I don't accept any interpretation that involves Jacket failing to kill anyone.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I would but I already preordered the 3 vinyl ultimate super collector's edition :krad:

I really wanted to justify purchasing that, but I don't know where I'd store 3 cool-rear end vinyl records, much less how I'd find something that could play them.

Also the comics kind of directly show that Jacket is alive, killed the boss guy, and has been arrested, so don't hold your breath for seeing Biker again. :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah well I live in Austin where ever other person is a music nerd with a stack of vinyls in their closet, so it didn't seem so strange to me. :cheeky:

I wish I had an LP of the original game's soundtrack

Yeah man more power to you, I'm jealous if anything. I would absolutely put down the money for those if I knew I could properly care for and listen to them.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Somehow the only achievements I'm missing are kill two enemies with one thrown object, kill three enemies with one thrown object, and perform every ground kill in the game. And the one for having all the achievements, I guess.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Croccers posted:

So what's this Aus thing about? Not the Banning thing, this DLC part?

Buying the Digital Deluxe Edition of Hotline Miami 2 on Steam gives you some DLC for a separate game, Payday 2. If you live in Australia you can't buy Hotline Miami 2 on Steam at all, so the developers of Payday 2 have offered a free code for that DLC to anyone that e-mails them a scanned copy of their passport or other Australian ID.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

TBH it's the sort of thing that sounds like a good idea but would be absolutely terrible in practice.

It would basically totally destroy the feel of the game yeah. Press R to restart is maybe the most important mechanic in Hotline Miami!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I got a lot worse at the game when they updated it so you could be shot while performing executions on the ground. :smith:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I knew something had changed :argh:

Yeah I can totally understand why they made the change but I miss giving some dude a discount lobotomy while his pal just emptied his gun in futile terror over my head. Now I have to think a bit more when it comes to executing somebody!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I feel like that re-edited trailer for The Guest spoils a lot of the good parts of the movie. Part of the appeal is that you're expecting a sad sack PTSD movie and get something different, being upfront about it makes it lose some charm.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Ledgy posted:

I love this room so much

:black101:
not pictured: black guy punching me to death

I've never really thought about it before, but the enemies have some serious guts to just charge a dude wielding a shotgun when they only have golf clubs and poo poo.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

You could say the same in reverse, really :v:

Oh for sure, I guess it's just whenever I'm playing the game I'm always thinking "this is my only option to kill this guy with a gun or get shot" and I never thought that the virtual faceless russian mobsters would be thinking the same thing.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone know if the vinyl soundtrack comes with the payday 2 stuff?

The Steam code they give you is for the Digital Deluxe Edition, so it should.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So who here managed to get the Achievement Whore prize? By which I mean you got A+ on every level except Highball and Exposed, the other achievements being pretty easy to get. I find the Carl mask less useful on levels where there's a dog at the entrance.

I have Get A Life but not Achievement Whore, but my approach for A+ing everything was usually to take Carl and turn Hotline Miami into the whack-a-mole game from hell, just knocking em all down and drilling one, knocking em down again and drilling another... This technique is less effective now that you can be shot while drilling someone's head in, though. It used to be surprisingly safe because the long animation would all but ensure an enemy would empty their weapon while you were invulnerable, leaving them helpless.

You'll usually get an A+ and the rank of Sadist, both of which are lofty goals. :getin:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh hey, something for the HLM fan who already bought the game on Steam but couldn't pull the trigger on getting the vinyl collector's edition. :ohdear: This more game-oriented boxed set is threatening my wallet.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Apparently Jacket in Payday 2 just shows his face and isn't covered or anything. :geno:

It's just like Hotline Miami - The dude has a face! He puts on his mask before he hurts people.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I was hoping they'd do something like cover his face in bandages like he had in Trauma, or he'd wear a little mask under it.

Jacket has a face, you aren't wearing a mask or head bandages the entire time in Hotline Miami. Even this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9SUPgyZRY uses direct camera angles on his face to great effect.

I mean the ending of the game is him taking off his mask and lighting up a cigarette, even. :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The one feature I was really hoping to see and am sorely missing is that I was hoping the detection for picking up weapons would be improved so when there's two or more weapons near each other, it's less of a crapshoot that you get the one you actually want. It's not a big deal because lord knows I got used to it in the first game, but I was hoping maybe they'd touch that up a bit.

Game still owns bones though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

This really sucks for the artists who made the soundtrack. I was actually more eager for this game cause of the great electro tracks than for the game itself and was fully prepared to pay extra for it since those guys deserve it.

If you really believe that you could still pay them for the soundtrack.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Beat the game, I mostly had fun but I'm not gonna pretend some levels were more frustrating than others. Mostly the fifth act's stuff, [spoilers]Richter's flashback levels.[/spoiler]. The end was fuckin solid though.

Briefly skimming through the thread I see that there's a Hard mode and some secret content for me to find, anything I should know about either of those?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You can replay chapters on Hard Mode via Continue after you beat the game. It basically does what it says, makes the game harder.

Oh and it also flips/mirrors the game world. Have fun!

That actually does sound pretty fun! But I mean, maybe a few days or something. I'd like them to patch the game a bit to make enemies less prone to spontaneous fits of spinning around in place.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Even though the level design might be suspect, I really like the writer's nonlethal approach. It's strange and awkward at first, but after seeing so much bloodshed there's something inherently awesome about a character that leaves a floor full of squirming, battered but still-living goons writhing in agony before he politely confronts a mafioso.

Maybe I just like gimmicky poo poo but I'm a huge fan of the writer's levels and the soldier's levels. I will say that the writer's ability to "execute" enemies faster than anyone else actually makes him feel pretty capable in a melee!

I was really hoping for a sort of "free play" mode, where you would be allowed to bring anyone to any chapter regardless of story constraints. I suppose that's something to be left for the editor, though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok I give up, is there a tell to know which Russian soldier is immune to the knife and which is immune to the gun in Stronghold? I've figured out that one for each is but not which, and it seems random. Which became real lovely when it was the fat guy with the gun.

I don't remember seeing gun-proof enemies until way later - Is that a hard mode thing or did I just chop them down without realizing their properties?

quote:

I like when my other half of the swan gets stuck on floppy doors

Doorways are the best worst thing in hotline miami

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

This screenshot from a friend of mine is basically hotline miami 2.png. Very few times did you spawn in an unwinnable situation in the first game but there's literally nothing he can do here, so even after clearing the previous levels of this chapter he now has to restart the whole thing which really sucks.

Not to condescend but I was stuck in the exact same situation and I found the solution to be waiting for the patrolling shotgun dude to move in front of the door, knock the door down, shoot the heavy enemy and throw my gun at the other standing enemy. This leaves the room you're in fairly safe and in my experience the only responders were dogs and melee-equipped enemies. It's certainly not unwinnable, but it's a little less fun when there is only one solution that requires fairly ridiculous execution. (I died a lot trying to do this, I'm not good just persistent)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Don't forget the combo bonuses for killing guns

Yeah I loved grabbing a shotgun and using it to keep my combo alive while I was moving from one area to another. :allears: Writer rules.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Honestly what disappointed me the most about the game was that the gameplay wasn't polished up at all from the first one, despite all the time spent developing the sequel. Here's some stuff I've hated from the first game that's still in the second one:

Executing anyone knocked up against a wall makes you drop your weapon.

Picking up a specific weapon near one or more other weapons is such a complete crapshoot I almost believe they have an advanced algorithm that detects which weapon you want and gives you the one you don't.

Doors (and now, even empty doorways) are a complete hot mess of collision.

Basically I was hoping some of those little parts of the gameplay mechanics could be tightened up, but they're all exactly the same or unintentionally worse due to new bugs. Overall, I still enjoy the game but I think it could have been better. :unsmith:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

All you need to do is strafe up and down while holding the trigger and you win too.

Or just dart back and forth enough to empty out all their guns and drill each and every one of them. :getin:

That's another thing I felt was somewhat missing from HLM2 - There's not as much player-controlled brutality, though the swans certainly do their best to make up for it. I felt like the original put a lot of effort into having some nasty executions, whereas most of them in 2 are just "beat over the head" or "slice throat with sharp thing".

Also they seem a bit slower, across the board? Just in terms of how long it takes you to finish somebody off.

edit: this is like the payday thread where I make a post and then I re-read it and go "wow I sound like a crazy person"

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears they tried to equalize the length of the finishers, to an extent.

That's definitely it! I don't particularly like that change.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Ddraig posted:

HLM2 has way worse executions than anything in the first game. Two that come to mind are the skateboard execution, which makes me cringe every time it happens, and literally ripping a guy's head off

But the skateboard is only in one level as far as I know, and the head rip happens to a single, special enemy and also isn't real, in the context of the game.

Compared to drill, pool cue executions, and anything involving a pot of water and a stove, I'm afraid 2 just doesn't have nearly the same depth of cruelty that the original had.

e: I'm a big fan of that chain(?) execution, though. When I first saw that it got my hopes up that there was going to be a lot more fun new melee weapons to hurt people with, boy was I off the mark.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

COBRARocky posted:

I wish the entire game had level design as tight as Richters jailbreak

He really had the best levels in the game because they were designed the way the firsts were.

Is this counting the first one where you open a door and there's just a bar full of enemies that swarm you? I like prison break, but I actually sort of loathed Richter's levels outside of that. I don't think they're much like the first game outside of aesthetics.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Not gonna lie the only way I beat it on hard mode was abusing the fact that you can open the door but stay outside the level to funnel enemies in slower and keep the big dude in the back.

Buddy, that's how I ended up doing it on normal. I'm not gonna make the cut for hard, am I? :suicide:

Speaking of, should I use the chapter select or New Game to see the aforementioned Newgame+ intro?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

drat, Hard Mode doesn't mess around. Is it weird that I'm sort of enjoying it a lot so far? I mean maybe I'll get to the levels that were tough in normal and I'll want to tap out, but this is pretty legit actually.

I will say for all the complaints of the game, there is quite a lot of content available for those that enjoy it enough to keep going.

Geight fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Didn't the first game put the name of the stage in the score screen for easy bragging about how well you did? Seems like it should be there.

• Locked thread