Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I must be getting old because I feel like the only thing my FoST needs is a LSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Can I talk about my 9th gen Si in here? It’s a coupe, but it’s indeed quite hot. And anyway, I keep the rear seats down to pretend it’s just a spatially challenged hatch.

Or should I make a new thread for civics?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Had a civic for less than a week and I'm already doing aftermarket stuff, what the christ.

Got 18x8 wheels to replace the 20x8.5 and switched to Michelin PS4S tires. Is this normal?

Also, SavageGeese and Engineering Explained both seem very pro-catchcan for direct injection motors. Seems cheap and very easy to install, but I'm worried about potential warranty problems if a dealer sees it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

Had a civic for less than a week and I'm already doing aftermarket stuff, what the christ.

Got 18x8 wheels to replace the 20x8.5 and switched to Michelin PS4S tires. Is this normal?

Also, SavageGeese and Engineering Explained both seem very pro-catchcan for direct injection motors. Seems cheap and very easy to install, but I'm worried about potential warranty problems if a dealer sees it.

Yes, the factory dubs are wholly unsuited to North American roads. For the catch can, determine if your dealer is friendly to mods. Most aren't but a few are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Head Bee Guy posted:

Can I talk about my 9th gen Si in here? It’s a coupe, but it’s indeed quite hot. And anyway, I keep the rear seats down to pretend it’s just a spatially challenged hatch.

Or should I make a new thread for civics?

You are welcome in here for sure.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I post about my hot hatch/ tiny SUV Vibe, the GT stands for Got Toyota.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I researched a bit when I was thinking of getting a catchcan on my new DI car, but then stuff like potential freezing in winter etc popped up and gently caress dealing with that. Disgustingly consumerist as it sounds, I won't keep the car for longer than the warranty lasts and after this one I'm getting an EV.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

I was behind a green Fiesta on my way home this morning and he had a large #FiSTing sticker on his rear window and now I don't want one anymore.

FYI there is a ‘17 RS in the same color as mine for sale in Columbia City right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

FYI there is a ‘17 RS in the same color as mine for sale in Columbia City right now.

New car purchase has been cleared by the wife for the end of the year as all 3 of our major non house debts will be paid off by then.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

New car purchase has been cleared by the wife for the end of the year as all 3 of our major non house debts will be paid off by then.

Any idea what you want?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Despite other owners ruinging things I do still want a FiST. But Mustangs are very tempting but don't know if I can justify $30K for a car. I'm also a big fan of the Genesis Coupe and for the price of a Mustang I could get FiST, GC and insurance would be cheaper for both combined. I was really close to buying a Lexus ISF but I balked at the last minute which ended up being a good thing.

I was driving anything I could last year so I've crossed a lot of stuff off the list.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Car was missing the front skidplate and splashguard when I got it. Research showed it to be a common issue/poorly designed part so I put on an ADF customs aluminum plate today. Installs with rivet nuts into the frame, vs plastic attachments. Happy with the quality.

Sassy helped supervise

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sipher posted:

Car was missing the front skidplate and splashguard when I got it. Research showed it to be a common issue/poorly designed part so I put on an ADF customs aluminum plate today. Installs with rivet nuts into the frame, vs plastic attachments. Happy with the quality.

The stock undertray is literally coconut fiber. Everyone I know with a focus had it fail the very first winter.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Swapped the belts/tensioner/idler on my 2013 FoST today. Couldn't see a date on the main belt but the AC belt was a FoMoCo dated 08/2012 so both were original I'm sure. Weren't in bad shape other than being stretched vs the new belts, though.

I used the Gates kit, and I wasn't real happy about the tensioner not matching OEM-

I was about to reuse the OEM tensioner, but I looked up the p/n and some sites show the Motorcraft version with only 2 bolts as well? So maybe it has been superceded? Anyway my original didn't have as much tension as the new one, so I just went ahead and used the Gates version. If I change my mind, it's all of 5 minutes to swap out.

I also used the Gates tool to install the AC stretch belt. It removed the old one as well with a little extra help from a screwdriver. The tool itself is nice but the bolt doesn't actually fit to the inside of the crank pulley, or to the holes in the lip of the pulley or anything to hold it in place like the instructions say..

Dunno if the picture shows it well, but the tool is kicked out with the bolt in it. I just removed the bolt and fed the tool and belt around the pulley by hand, it was a minor annoyance and I pinched my finger when a piston must have rounded a compression stroke and it suddenly rotated 90° without input.

Tl,dr - I don't really recommend the Gates accessory pulley kit, or stretch belt tool for the FoST.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I put a JB4 in my GTI last week. I ran it just as a passthrough for a few days and no codes, so I set it at map 1 today and it's significantly faster and it has all sorts of cool logs and information you can pull. If all goes well, I'll try another step up to map 2 and then try and make a custom map from the logs. The install was easier than I thought it would be and the app is pretty nice, being able to switch to different maps on the fly is great. It even has a mode you can cut the boost for letting someone borrow your car or for valet parking. Map 2 should put me somewhere about 280 HP and 300 torque I think.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Extended warranty or a tune... Extended warranty or a tune...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

a mysterious cloak posted:

GTI right? Tune. Those cars love a tune.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
budget a clutch if third pedal

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I mean if you buy a plug in box tune warranty issues aren't much of an issue. Or you could get one of the APR tunes that come with their own power train warranty. Pricey though.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MarsellusWallace posted:

Hah, I also tuned my Civic Si in the first week of ownership, less than 50 miles even. Went full big turbo, Type-R clutch, etc. ~1000 miles later. I'm running 18x8.5s with 245 P4Ss, they're great but in hindsight they rub a bit and I should have stuck with 18x8 and 235s.

Catch cans do nothing for the L15B7 motors, they are a waste of money due to a very efficient PCV. Here is a very detailed look at why that is: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/maperformance-civic-si-1-5t-pcv-system-catch-can-testing-observations.31076/

a mysterious cloak posted:

UM tune and call it good! I had an 18 GTI and UM are probably the best tuners on the platform. Toss on a hybrid IS38 and get a big turbo tune for even more fun! If you have a DSG, their TCU software is also AMAZING.

http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk7-mqb-20-tsi-gen3/

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 4, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, I've got a '17 GTI with DSG. If anything I'd probably just do a plug-in tune and call it good. My wife is going to need a new car in not too long, so I'll be keeping the GTI for a few more years.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I wish there was no rust, but that’s extremely hard to find on them. I am very tempted to bid on this guy and make it my new daily, or just molest it a bit doing dumb poo poo like a turbo on the VR6

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9a0aOwPD/2004-volkswagen-golf-r32

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Coolnezzz posted:

Hah, I also tuned my Civic Si in the first week of ownership, less than 50 miles even. Went full big turbo, Type-R clutch, etc. ~1000 miles later. I'm running 18x8.5s with 245 P4Ss, they're great but in hindsight they rub a bit and I should have stuck with 18x8 and 235s.

Catch cans do nothing for the L15B7 motors, they are a waste of money due to a very efficient PCV. Here is a very detailed look at why that is: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/maperformance-civic-si-1-5t-pcv-system-catch-can-testing-observations.31076/

UM tune and call it good! I had an 18 GTI and UM are probably the best tuners on the platform. Toss on a hybrid IS38 and get a big turbo tune for even more fun! If you have a DSG, their TCU software is also AMAZING.

http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk7-mqb-20-tsi-gen3/

So how does this all work? You plug a dohickey in the ODB port and the do some fun timing stuff?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Warbird posted:

So how does this all work? You plug a dohickey in the ODB port and the do some fun timing stuff?

Basically, yes. In the case of my GTI (and S3 slightly later) I took it to a local shop who is an authorized UM dealer and they flashed the ECU (+TCU+Haldex flash for my S3). They flash the ROM of the ECU to replace fuel/air maps, increase boost, and make a number of other adjustments that they have access to, including timing. There are a number of vendors who make devices you can use to flash tunes yourself, Cobb being a popular brand. Then, tuners can make custom tunes which you can apply via the device, you then do datalogging via the device and send the logs back to the tuner via email for adjustments, rinse and repeat until dialed-in, this is a known as a custom e-tune. Alternatively this can also be done locally if you have tuners in your area, getting tuned on a dyno by a known decent local tuner is probably the best way to go.

For my Civic I use a KTuner v1.2 which is a just a box that plugs into the OBD2 port, it has a USB port which I connect to a laptop for flashing custom tunes to the ECU provided by my tuner. I also run a GM flex fuel sensor and put a mix of 35-40% ethanol in with my normal 91 gas which allows for additional timing changes for increased power without increasing the boost. It also has bluetooth which allows a hacked head unit to run the KTuner app and display various gauges like this:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, I'll talk about how the Jb4 works since it is completely different. It isn't a flash tune, it's a box that intercepts the signal from the ECU to various sensors and sends along its own values. I have a bluetooth connection and can log what everything is doing from boost, to air fuel ratios and tons of other things. I can then change those values on my phone and update the Jb4. You can also just change to stock or higher boost on the fly with a push of the button since it isn't flashing the ECU to achieve what it does. Also I can completely remove it in about ten minutes now that I know what I am doing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How easy is it to gently caress up your car? I appreciate the systems in place to keep me from being too much of a dumbass but more vroom would be nice.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are fail safes in place that will limit boost and other things, but of course you always run a risk. To me, stage one tunes seem pretty safe on the GTI, the main thing to worry about would be the clutch, which seems like some people need one right away, and others use the stock clutch fine. Not sure how other cars handle the power.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 5, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I said it a bunch earlier in the thread, but the key to running the stock clutch in a tuned GTI is:
1. Remove clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder
2. Remove the clutch pedal assist spring
3. Don't bother trying to launch the car

and most importantly
4. Give the clutch time to FULLY grip up when shifting before getting back in it hard, otherwise you will very quickly destroy it

Either way, you're gonna need to replace it sooner than later, but the above help a lot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How does that play for a DSG?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IIRC the DSG is quite a lot stronger and does not have the same issues.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Warbird posted:

How does that play for a DSG?
No issues with the DSG, it can handle a lot of power.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get my stock 2012 Civic Si tuned, but I'm not trying to drop ~$700 on a device, plus ~$3-500 on a professional tune. I'm thinking about getting a dealer reflash, where they flash a Hondata basemap to the ecu, which is only about 400 bucks. I'm just looking to get a bit more pep when I put my foot down. Has anyone done this before or have any input on its drivability?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Head Bee Guy posted:

I'm looking to get my stock 2012 Civic Si tuned, but I'm not trying to drop ~$700 on a device, plus ~$3-500 on a professional tune. I'm thinking about getting a dealer reflash, where they flash a Hondata basemap to the ecu, which is only about 400 bucks. I'm just looking to get a bit more pep when I put my foot down. Has anyone done this before or have any input on its drivability?
It looks like the device is about $700 and comes with the tune(s). The advantage is that when you're done with the car you can uninstall the tune and resell the device and get like 80+% of your money back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I hadn't heard of a dealer reflash before, but my daily is an 07 Si with a FlashPro using the free VitViper map that was passed around forever. It is pretty night and day on these cars since the VTEC engagement ends up being lowered to the point that there is no cosmetic power bump, VTC is taken advantage of more, no rev hang, and a proper rev limit (mine is 8800).

I have a little bit more elaborate solution for my S2000, but same story of lowered VTEC engagement. Worth every penny.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 7, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG4IaHgqH00

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Every used car has been used to film an episode of jackass.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am so sick and tired of the lovely sync whatever on my wife’s 2016 Focus ST. I want to put a touchscreen car play radio on it, and I got a front panel that has double din space on it. Does removing the radio of it disrupt the use of the dash screen features, and would the reverse camera still work?

I know that the fast forward and volume buttons won’t work on steering wheel, but that’s fine.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
You can update to Sync 3 and use Android Auto/Car Play: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/05/19/ford-sync-3-software-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I have the tiny screen Sync1 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Vahakyla posted:

I have the tiny screen Sync1 or whatever.

I'm in the same boat. You can get aftermarket stuff that supports the reverse camera and steering wheel controls. The dealbreaker for me is you have to buy a new trim piece to fit the new unit, and it looks like poo poo cheap plastic and it's $200. But if you look on crutchfield you can search by devices that do Android Auto/Carplay, have reverse camera inputs etc. it looks like the only stuff that doesn't work is the native bluetooth with Sync vs. using it on the head unit so who cares.

This thing is nasty looking though: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120995843B/Metra-99-5843B-Dash-and-Wiring-Kit-Matte-black.html