Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
What’s a ‘13 Sti wagon w/ a rebuilt title worth?

I’m going to kick the tires of one this weekend.

My head cannon is ~8 if everything checks out and plenty of documents to support claim of why rebuild

I suspect I am overly optimistic in both $ and what kind of shape it really is.

I’ve been round the car at autox, so it’s not completely aight unseen. Just never really looked it with intent before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

according to my insurance I have owned my FiST for 5 years. I have had 3 offers to buy it for more than I paid for it new.

yeah I aint selling my rocket go cart-o-fun :colbert:

Same, friend. I haven't had any insane offers like that, but I considered selling it for about three seconds until I realized then I would have to drive something that is not a FiST, which is not an acceptable outcome.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've got an idea for a new algorithmic stablecoin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSS7iJUsYCY

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hallo, ist das dein Auto?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

nitsuga posted:

Hallo, ist das dein Auto?

That is my culturally confused car. I was planning to keep it for a while longer but the Nissan Z has me peepin :pervert:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

queef anxiety posted:

That is my culturally confused car. I was planning to keep it for a while longer but the Nissan Z has me peepin :pervert:

I understand. This year is breaking my brain with both Toyota and Nissan singing their siren songs. My needs and wants are fairly domestic though, so unless I give in to my DSG curiosity, I'll keep my MK7.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm just trying to ignore the gr

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Posted this in the track day thread too, but took my RS to the track for my first HPDE event last month. Had a blast, already signed up for another next month. Picked up some 18" wheels this weekend and ordered some pilot sport 4s as dedicated track tires. I just ran the 500 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1 all-seasons that were on the car when I bought it. They weren't awful but I'm looking forward to having some legit rubber next time.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
crossposting from the stupid questions thread, because this stupid question is about a (long) hatch:

I got a 2012 TSX Wagon with 100k on the odo. Overall it’s in great shape, just had the trans and power steering fluid done, fresh brakes, etc. For the most part it drives great, despite a small leak in the front right damper, but I’ve noticed that at higher speeds, anything 70 or over, the steering input needed to change lanes is tiny, and it of course gets smaller as you go faster. So by the time i’m going like 85, I only need to move the wheel a couple centimeters to turn. What exactly causes this? I don’t want “loose” steering, but it’s not exactly confidence inspiring to feel like a sneeze could throw me into the guard rail

e: i also had a wheel balancing and alignment done recently. so they’re not wildly off

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sipher posted:

Posted this in the track day thread too, but took my RS to the track for my first HPDE event last month. Had a blast, already signed up for another next month. Picked up some 18" wheels this weekend and ordered some pilot sport 4s as dedicated track tires. I just ran the 500 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1 all-seasons that were on the car when I bought it. They weren't awful but I'm looking forward to having some legit rubber next time.

PS4s aren't going to take the heat that well, you might want to run a Hankook RS4 next.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

BlackMK4 posted:

PS4s aren't going to take the heat that well, you might want to run a Hankook RS4 next.

The wet performance of PS4's drew me - there's a really good chance of rain during the months a lot of the HPDE events at VIR take place. If they're overheating when it's dry though I'll just run them as my street tire in the summer to wear through em. The sessions are only ~23 minutes so I'm hoping they're ok.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I, uh. Might be first on the list for a GR Corolla at the last dealer I called? :stare:

Always Be Calling Your Shithole Hometown Dealer.

They probably won't get any

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone running 215/45R17s on their FiST who can offer input on how badly it rubs? I've seen a few claims of zero rub and a few of constant rubbing, with most leaning towards occasional rub if the suspension is compressed at full lock.

I have an unpatchable hole in one of the better pair of my Indy 500s, so it's time for a new set of summers and Pilot Sport 4Ses are topping my list as long as the size doesn't present a problem.

I'm at stock height with no plans to ever go lower (in fact I'd love to be able to go up a bit) for what it's worth.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fifty Three posted:

I, uh. Might be first on the list for a GR Corolla at the last dealer I called? :stare:

Always Be Calling Your Shithole Hometown Dealer.

They probably won't get any

I’ve got a friend who sells at a local Toyota dealer and I told him to put a post-it note with my name on the manager’s computer for a GR. He said they’ll probably sell them at list price.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Anyone running 215/45R17s on their FiST who can offer input on how badly it rubs? I've seen a few claims of zero rub and a few of constant rubbing, with most leaning towards occasional rub if the suspension is compressed at full lock.

I have an unpatchable hole in one of the better pair of my Indy 500s, so it's time for a new set of summers and Pilot Sport 4Ses are topping my list as long as the size doesn't present a problem.

I'm at stock height with no plans to ever go lower (in fact I'd love to be able to go up a bit) for what it's worth.

What wheels you running this on? Ill start off by saying my fiesta is lowered about an inch and a half.

With stock wheels the tires will be very tall and I got some rubbing in the back when I had passengers in the rear of the car. I bought some cheap 17x8 et40 konig lockouts off of marketplace and put the same 215/45/17's on them. With the wider wheel the tire wasnt as tall and it doesn't rub at all. This is for my winter tires, some blizzaks.

I also had a set of 215/45/17 Direzza Z3s on a set of 17x7.5 et40 Team Dynamics 1.2s, and they fit PERFECT. No rubbing whatsoever, even at the track. The tire is rather large, I got a lot of comments that they were too big and made the car look like a hot wheels car proportionally.

I decided to go back to 215/40/17 on the Team Dynamics wheels because the handling is a bit sharper with the 40 series tire.

Hope that helps!

edit: image for attention, hard to get a feel for the size but these were the 215/45/17 Direzzas

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 24, 2022

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I put a s280 on my FiST last month, it did 270 hp and 280 tq on 25 psi on a awd mustang dyno. I also did a Whoosh BBK. My first track day in this car is next Monday at Oregon Raceway Park, very excited.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I put a s280 on my FiST last month, it did 270 hp and 280 tq on 25 psi on a awd mustang dyno. I also did a Whoosh BBK. My first track day in this car is next Monday at Oregon Raceway Park, very excited.

Make sure to post any social media pics of you tracking your Fiesta ST at SavageGeese

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

What wheels you running this on? Ill start off by saying my fiesta is lowered about an inch and a half.

With stock wheels the tires will be very tall and I got some rubbing in the back when I had passengers in the rear of the car.

I run my summer tires on the stock wheels for now, and I'm not very interested in the idea of buying a new set of 17" wheels. If I change the wheels on this car I'd prefer to go to 16" and get some more sidewall, which is an entirely different discussion.

When you had the rubbing you're saying that was with the 1.5" drop and passengers?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I run my summer tires on the stock wheels for now, and I'm not very interested in the idea of buying a new set of 17" wheels. If I change the wheels on this car I'd prefer to go to 16" and get some more sidewall, which is an entirely different discussion.

When you had the rubbing you're saying that was with the 1.5" drop and passengers?

I found some older photos of my car with the stock wheels and 215/45/17:

Here it is with the stock wheels

Here it is with the 7.5" wheels

It's lowered on some BC coilovers in these photos so I'm not sure what the actual drop is.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Some fuckin goof sideswiped my GTI while it was street parked and left scratches/black paint on a couple of spots and didn't leave a note. My neighbour saw it happen and said it was a nice looking SUV (but he didn't get a plate sadly) so as usual it's rich assholes being rich assholes. No dents or anything so hopefully I can get it buffed out or touched up or whatever. I don't need my cars to be pristine but that poo poo pisses me off.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Some fuckin goof sideswiped my GTI while it was street parked and left scratches/black paint on a couple of spots and didn't leave a note. My neighbour saw it happen and said it was a nice looking SUV (but he didn't get a plate sadly) so as usual it's rich assholes being rich assholes. No dents or anything so hopefully I can get it buffed out or touched up or whatever. I don't need my cars to be pristine but that poo poo pisses me off.

Definitely get your neighbor to give a statement to your insurance company. When my Si got sideswiped overnight, I had to do some shoe leather detective work to find people in my neighborhood to tell my insurance company that’s what happened.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Head Bee Guy posted:

Definitely get your neighbor to give a statement to your insurance company. When my Si got sideswiped overnight, I had to do some shoe leather detective work to find people in my neighborhood to tell my insurance company that’s what happened.

Wait I can put this through insurance? I figured I was just SOL since the person took off and the damage is really minor

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

prom candy posted:

Wait I can put this through insurance? I figured I was just SOL since the person took off and the damage is really minor

There are a whole boatload of caveats here, but your insurance may go up. It should be not at fault and then uninsured/underinsured but basically the way insurance works, if they have to payout it is going to cost you somewhere down the line. I’d probably get a rough idea from a body shop if you know one and compare vs deductible. It’s possible/probable that you would get a freebie before another would affect rates but again this is all huge YMMV.

It loving sucks though, sorry bud

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

TheBacon posted:

There are a whole boatload of caveats here, but your insurance may go up. It should be not at fault and then uninsured/underinsured but basically the way insurance works, if they have to payout it is going to cost you somewhere down the line. I’d probably get a rough idea from a body shop if you know one and compare vs deductible. It’s possible/probable that you would get a freebie before another would affect rates but again this is all huge YMMV.

It loving sucks though, sorry bud

Thanks, I'll dig into it and see how much it's gonna cost me. Worse things have happened, it's just some scratches. It's really just the lack of regard that bothers me. Probably just some teenager driving mom's car I guess.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It would be under your collision coverage for sure, if you have it. You’d owe the deductible. If you have Uninsured Motorist Property Damage then depending on the state it may apply instead, again with the deductible. Some states require the uninsured party to be known, some carriers require a police report, etc.

If it’s just truly buffing then it’s probably not worthwhile to pursue the claim, but very often what most folks consider minor damage winds up being several hundreds to thousands.

Can your fingernail catch on any of the scrapes? If so, it’s well into or past the clearcoat and probably won’t completely buff out.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Oh yeah definitely get some quotes from body shops before going the insurance route. Similar thing happened to my dads acura, and getting a $1k bodywork job was a lot cheaper than the rate increase from insurance

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I went out today and was able to actually get a lot of it off with water and a paper towel. I need to get it fully cleaned up and then I can get a better idea of how bad it is. If it's really minor after cleaning it up I might just live with it. Nothing's perfect forever.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Ah, poo poo, honeymoon's over now that the GTI is paid off. Gas door opens, like the piston comes out, but the door does not release. Anyone ever dealt with this? I see lots of posts about the piston not popping out, nothing about it holding onto the door tightly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oddhair posted:

Ah, poo poo, honeymoon's over now that the GTI is paid off. Gas door opens, like the piston comes out, but the door does not release. Anyone ever dealt with this? I see lots of posts about the piston not popping out, nothing about it holding onto the door tightly.

lol evergreen GTI post

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My recirc motor died in my mk7 and it’s $200 for a plastic part!!! VW!!!!!!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The gas door on my GTI froze shut this winter, but the same thing happened on my Civic too. Automakers, I'm begging you, test your cars in actual winter.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Which is the recirc motor? I've had that clicking of the recirc blend door actuator but when I looked at ECS tuning it was a ~$40 part made by a whole mess of manufacturers and you just have to verify which one you currently have as they're somehow not compatible with each other. I am gonna replace it but :effort:

You're not going to the stealership for the part are you?

Just as an example, not sure yet which of these would fit my car either:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--2.0T_Gen3/Climate_Control/Electrical/

Fake edit: Shopdap.com only has the genuine VW and it is straight up $200.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 26, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

prom candy posted:

The gas door on my GTI froze shut this winter, but the same thing happened on my Civic too. Automakers, I'm begging you, test your cars in actual winter.

there is basically no way to avoid enclosures freezing shut in the winter

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there is basically no way to avoid enclosures freezing shut in the winter

I want to move south so bad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's mostly to do with water; if you can keep the car covered even if unheated the enclosures are much less likely to freeze shut. it will still happen but that is just the reality of very cold temperatures and moisture

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

prom candy posted:

I want to move south so bad

personally i will gladly deal with the occasional enclosure freezing shut to not have to deal with the amount of other dumb bullshit i had to deal with in the south

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
no i mean like Mexico City or Costa Rica

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That is why California owns :)

(Other than lmao soon it will be illegal to modify your shift knob)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol evergreen GTI post

I guess the honeymoon was over when the plastic water pump melted, so glad that was under warranty. I could definitely DIY it but holy poo poo.