Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I switched mine Thursday night. Friday morning I'm at a customer site and one of the guys there pokes fun at me for doing it early. Temperatures have been borderline for the last few days so I decided to be nice to my good rubber. This is my third season on the snow tires so they're done in the spring anyways.

Two hours later I'm driving home and I get to watch a Tahoe lose it on an iced over bridge and nail the opposite barrier two cars in front of me, about three miles from the previous customer site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're summer performance tires, that's kind of the point. You should switch to your winter tires once the temperature is consistently below about 40 degrees regardless of preciptiation. I didn't do it yet (next weekend), and I'm regretting it here in SE Michigan even though it hasn't snowed.

Yea the temperature is the issue. Highs are almost 60 most of this next week, and I don't want to expose my X-ice tires to those temps. Eastern Iowa has been all over the place temp-wise the last couple weeks.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Any FiST owners have the KW V3 coilovers on their car? If so, how are they?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: whatever

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Any FiST owners have the KW V3 coilovers on their car? If so, how are they?

They're on my list, but they are going to end up costing me like 3 grand total because as soon as I buy them I wont want to drive my car in winter anymore and will have to buy a winter beater :lol:

One of the bummers about getting camber adjustable coilovers is that to change front camber you have to either set it with the front strut out of the car, or cut a hole in the shock tower to be able to get to the adjustment piece on the top of the strut.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

angryhampster posted:

Yea the temperature is the issue. Highs are almost 60 most of this next week, and I don't want to expose my X-ice tires to those temps. Eastern Iowa has been all over the place temp-wise the last couple weeks.

I'm in Iowa City and getting mine on next weekend. Blizzak baby!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'd rather run snows in high temps than performance in low temps, personally.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Switched over a couple weeks ago here because temps are consistently low enough here for snow/ice- most days summers would have been totally fine but once we hit that magical "well who knows what the gently caress the weather is gonna be" point ya gotta switch or risk ice-skating home at night from somewhere

this year it was warm really late but I've finally been waking up to temps in the low 20s the past week here

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd rather run snows in high temps than performance in low temps, personally.

This. I left my summers on two years ago about a week longer than I should have. Like driving on hockey pucks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I honestly haven't noticed a huge difference with my PSS's when it's colder. I'm not exactly pushing them though. Once the highs are regularly below 50 or snow is forecast I'll make the switch.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Any telltale signs that a FiST has been modified?

I'm looking at this used 2016 with ~10k miles but the non-stock rims make me think there might be more warranty-voiding or potentially damaging stuff done.

Gonna take it to my mechanic of course but want to make sure he knows what to look for. Otherwise stoked to join the FiST club.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Wife traded in 14 silverado single cab for $14.6 and got a vw alltrack with dsg. May apr tune quickly. Closest awg 6 speed manual had $1200 transfer fee.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

DogCop posted:

Any telltale signs that a FiST has been modified?

I'm looking at this used 2016 with ~10k miles but the non-stock rims make me think there might be more warranty-voiding or potentially damaging stuff done.

Gonna take it to my mechanic of course but want to make sure he knows what to look for. Otherwise stoked to join the FiST club.

Is that the stock IC? I actually like those wheels.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

Is that the stock IC? I actually like those wheels.

Yeah, those wheels actually look great from this angle. That does look like the stock IC but I think the reason it appears aftermarket is because the PO modified the plastic bits that sit in front of it. Usually there's horizontal and vertical plastic pieces in front of the IC and the horizontal ones aren't there.

That's pretty common mod to do when upgrading the IC so the PO could have done that and just reverted it, people also do it to their stock cars though so it doesn't really mean much on its own.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

100% Dundee posted:

Yeah, those wheels actually look great from this angle. That does look like the stock IC but I think the reason it appears aftermarket is because the PO modified the plastic bits that sit in front of it. Usually there's horizontal and vertical plastic pieces in front of the IC and the horizontal ones aren't there.

That's pretty common mod to do when upgrading the IC so the PO could have done that and just reverted it, people also do it to their stock cars though so it doesn't really mean much on its own.

Thanks, I didn't even notice the missing grill in front of the IC. Good red flag to bring up to the dealer.

Here's a better shot of the wheels. Stock calipers come red, yeah?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

DogCop posted:

Thanks, I didn't even notice the missing grill in front of the IC. Good red flag to bring up to the dealer.

The red calipers come with one of the wheel options I believe or a style package or something, I'm not entirely sure how it was sold but some have it and some don't. It's normal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DogCop posted:

XXR 527s I believe.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you have an under hood photo it would help

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Red calipers came with the black wheel option, but some early 2016s were factory mess ups that didn't have red calipers with the black wheels. If you got a car like that Ford sent out a nice $100 check to make up for the mistake. Maybe it's the angle but that looks slightly lower than stock.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just have your mechanic look for tool marks on fasteners around the turbo, downpipe and air filter/intake system.

wheels don't necessarily mean the car was modified and returned to stock, especially considering those are just cheapo xxr wheels.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Took my summer tires off to discover that my right front is so out of alignment its wore down to the threads on the inside and the outsides look fine. All I can think of is the time early in the spring I hit a crater of a pothole going into Cincinnati. I hope it's nothing more than an alignment can't fix

So as it sets I need 1 OEM rim which was damaged in a different incident and 2 new tires before spring. I also need an alignment ASAP.

The good news is I'm just short of 100k miles on the car and I've experienced no problems that weren't caused by myself. It's been a drat good car and a fun thing to drive

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Took my summer tires off to discover that my right front is so out of alignment its wore down to the threads on the inside and the outsides look fine. All I can think of is the time early in the spring I hit a crater of a pothole going into Cincinnati. I hope it's nothing more than an alignment can't fix

So as it sets I need 1 OEM rim which was damaged in a different incident and 2 new tires before spring. I also need an alignment ASAP.

The good news is I'm just short of 100k miles on the car and I've experienced no problems that weren't caused by myself. It's been a drat good car and a fun thing to drive

Ive got a pretty much brand new set of OEM gloss black rados and the stock all seasons with about 6k on them, and factory TPMS. I will let em for for $400 if you're interested hit me up in PMs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At least everything the PO did looks tasteful.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't end up having time to plasti-dip them, but tiny babby wheels got installed just in time for this morning's snow:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The ST wheels look REALLY good on the RS.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

The ST wheels look REALLY good on the RS.

The extra sidewall makes the ride so much better, too. I was slightly worried about blowouts on Detroit winter roads, but I think i'll be good now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just installed my baby 15’s on the fiesta, so much sidewall :bigtran:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Put the winter shoes on the RS a few weeks ago. Definitely glad I opted for the winter wheel package, those Pilot Alpins are no joke.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I know it's not the marketplace thread but I have a set of Blizzaks and steel wheels I used for one season before j had to trade in my Focus ST. Will pretty much give them up for dirt cheap if you're in the Maryland / Delaware / Philly area. The whole set will fit in the back of your ST with the seats down if you pick them up.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Kanish posted:

I know it's not the marketplace thread but I have a set of Blizzaks and steel wheels I used for one season before j had to trade in my Focus ST. Will pretty much give them up for dirt cheap if you're in the Maryland / Delaware / Philly area. The whole set will fit in the back of your ST with the seats down if you pick them up.

Hit you up in a PM, I'm interested.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Ughh starting to buy an engine to build my veloster, installing the lsd, clutch/flywheel, and eyeing fender flares. Hopefully by end of summer I'll have the built engine with 300-330whp and next winter have fender flares and can run 255's in autocross. This will justify slowly turning my veloster into a dedicated SMF autocross car and daily drive my 350z again until the G70 has a stick shift or can afford a golf r.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, I finally pulled the trigger, and I'm going to be the proud owner of a new Golf R in a few months, as soon as the Germans get around to building it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grats on joining the "Fast but Practical" club!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thank you driver of the golf r today on my way home for the fun little romp. is the official harley wave of the fun hot hatchback crowd a thumbs up out the window or sunroof or something? this is like the third time this has happened.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sneakyfrog posted:

thank you driver of the golf r today on my way home for the fun little romp. is the official harley wave of the fun hot hatchback crowd a thumbs up out the window or sunroof or something? this is like the third time this has happened.

Enthusiasts reconizing each other maybe? If Harley dudes can signal then why not hatch buddies?
I had a dude in an M3 when we were in my R ride with us through Texas into Louisiana. Midday, clear roads and quite high speeds, it owned. Made real good time too :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KakerMix posted:

Enthusiasts reconizing each other maybe? If Harley dudes can signal then why not hatch buddies?
I had a dude in an M3 when we were in my R ride with us through Texas into Louisiana. Midday, clear roads and quite high speeds, it owned. Made real good time too :v:

dude and i did a back and forth for about half my commute, finally we got on a good straightaway and opened it up for the first time since i did the cobb upgrade it was good fun.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wait was it you kaker, did i race you down pine hills rd today?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pretty sure he sold his car and bought a bunch of tiny Japanese vans.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I was on the toll with another white GTI in the middle of a week day. No traffic. Definitely not triple digit speeds. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, you gotta know the signals for recognizing others in similar cars.

Subaru's it's either a quick wave of the window, or raising two fingers off the steering wheel in a peace sign.

Porsches is a quick flash of the highbeams as you pass.

Apparently GTI's is a thumbs up.