Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

After nearly 3 years I finally had the first issue with my '16 FoST over the weekend. After a day around town I get back in my car and hit the push to start and the display and gauges started going haywire. About 3-4 different warning or error messages flash up, then everything went dead. I was pretty confused that my battery just randomly decided to die, then I opened the hood and it made sense:

Sucker must have been leaking for a while, and the stupid negative terminal on the battery is tucked under the cowling so far that even if I removed the battery cover to check on it regularly I wouldn't have spotted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Read the fine print on the loan terms, shouldn't even need to mention poo poo to the dealer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Test drove this car: https://www.deltoyota.com/used/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf+R-thorndale-pa-ff40f5710a0e0a6b6190c45d1c6bb259.htm

I got to listen to the salesman talk about his old Golf R that happened to be FWD, and that had DCC suspension, but didn't have Race mode like the one I was driving. :rolleyes:

Red flag was the shifter: it had an aftermarket shiftknob and the throws felt short and notchy. I'm not sure what a Golf R shifter is supposed to feel like, but this one felt notchy and as short/maybe even shorter than my old Cayman. I tried to see if the way my old APR tuned GTI switched tunes worked, but the R has different stalks. How do you change the tune on a Golf R?

In any case, the car drove awesome, and I'm seriously considering getting one. They were sticking to 36k for now, even after I showed them a new Golf R selling for 36k in Virginia, and some used ones selling for low 30s. Am I off thinking low 30s is reasonable? I'm willing to wait.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I kinda want to see a fist in this shade of teal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Read the fine print on the loan terms, shouldn't even need to mention poo poo to the dealer.

Yeah, just read the docs. I think early payment penalties are actually illegal in a lot of states now.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, just read the docs. I think early payment penalties are actually illegal in a lot of states now.

I'd be curious to know if that includes the scam where the interest is pre-computed for the term of the loan and you owe the full interest amount regardless of how quickly you pay it back.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Residency Evil posted:

Test drove this car: https://www.deltoyota.com/used/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf+R-thorndale-pa-ff40f5710a0e0a6b6190c45d1c6bb259.htm

Red flag was the shifter: it had an aftermarket shiftknob and the throws felt short and notchy. I'm not sure what a Golf R shifter is supposed to feel like, but this one felt notchy and as short/maybe even shorter than my old Cayman.

For the GTI at least, it feels smooth, no feedback. Made for the average driver.

quote:

I tried to see if the way my old APR tuned GTI switched tunes worked, but the R has different stalks. How do you change the tune on a Golf R?
There are two ways to tune, either through a piggyback system like a JB4 unit which gets installed in the engine bay and left in and can be removed without any traces. Or through an actual flash tune through OBD2. If it has aftermarket parts on it already I would be highly wary of it being flashed tuned as if you brought it in for warranty work you would pop up / be flagged as TD1 which depending on the dealer would be an automatic void/denial on the warranty work. If you are seriously interested in it, I would ask for them to hook it up to see if it will flag as a TD1 and see the results. Seen a bunch of people buy CPOs or whatever only to find out that the car they bought has been flagged and welp.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One would think making sure the car hadn't been modified in a way that would void the warranty would be a part of the "certification" involved in "certified pre-owned" but that would just make too much sense, wouldn't it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

One would think making sure the car hadn't been modified in a way that would void the warranty would be a part of the "certification" involved in "certified pre-owned" but that would just make too much sense, wouldn't it?

No because modifications don't "void the warranty"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, CPO is largely bullshit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Etrips posted:

For the GTI at least, it feels smooth, no feedback. Made for the average driver.
Additionally, I don't remember it feeling notchy at all, like you said, smooth and little to no feedback. There was this weird magnetic like pull as you slid through the gates though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Etrips posted:

There are two ways to tune, either through a piggyback system like a JB4 unit which gets installed in the engine bay and left in and can be removed without any traces. Or through an actual flash tune through OBD2. If it has aftermarket parts on it already I would be highly wary of it being flashed tuned as if you brought it in for warranty work you would pop up / be flagged as TD1 which depending on the dealer would be an automatic void/denial on the warranty work. If you are seriously interested in it, I would ask for them to hook it up to see if it will flag as a TD1 and see the results. Seen a bunch of people buy CPOs or whatever only to find out that the car they bought has been flagged and welp.

This one's at a Toyota dealer unfortunately.

What price would you guys offer? 36k seems high for a used car with 8k miles, especially since there are leftover 2018 Golf Rs on the lot for 36-37k.

BlackMK4 posted:

Additionally, I don't remember it feeling notchy at all, like you said, smooth and little to no feedback. There was this weird magnetic like pull as you slid through the gates though.

Good to know. I remember my Mk6 GTI shifter feeling super smooth, but this one was definitely significantly notchier and required more deliberate movements. Maybe I just got spoiled by my Cayman? :confused:

edit: called APR. They've got no record of it. Not sure it's worth calling every other tuner, especially since something like a JB4 wouldn't show up.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 15, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'd be curious to know if that includes the scam where the interest is pre-computed for the term of the loan and you owe the full interest amount regardless of how quickly you pay it back.

pre-computed loans are rare (other than buy-here-pay-here), and in some states if you pre-pay a pre-computed loan, the lender is obligated to rebate you the unearned finance charges.

thanks, CFPB!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Residency Evil posted:

This one's at a Toyota dealer unfortunately.

What price would you guys offer? 36k seems high for a used car with 8k miles, especially since there are leftover 2018 Golf Rs on the lot for 36-37k.

Good to know. I remember my Mk6 GTI shifter feeling super smooth, but this one was definitely significantly notchier and required more deliberate movements. Maybe I just got spoiled by my Cayman? :confused:

edit: called APR. They've got no record of it. Not sure it's worth calling every other tuner, especially since something like a JB4 wouldn't show up.

To be honest, unless you can get the car to a VW dealership to get it hooked up to see it has been tuned OR to get in contact with every tuner to see if it has been tuned, I would steer away from it. There will be an obviously black rectangular box usually nestled somewhere around the battery box if it has a JB4 still on it. Though if the PO sold it, they should have just taken it off to resell.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds too shady and therefore too expensive to me. Find another one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

I'd buy a new car if you're dealing with a difference of a grand or less after negotiation

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Residency Evil posted:

I got to listen to the salesman talk about his old Golf R that happened to be FWD, and that had DCC suspension, but didn't have Race mode like the one I was driving. :rolleyes:

Red flag was the shifter: it had an aftermarket shiftknob and the throws felt short and notchy. I'm not sure what a Golf R shifter is supposed to feel like, but this one felt notchy and as short/maybe even shorter than my old Cayman. I tried to see if the way my old APR tuned GTI switched tunes worked, but the R has different stalks. How do you change the tune on a Golf R?

In any case, the car drove awesome, and I'm seriously considering getting one. They were sticking to 36k for now, even after I showed them a new Golf R selling for 36k in Virginia, and some used ones selling for low 30s. Am I off thinking low 30s is reasonable? I'm willing to wait.

How are new R's going for under 40k? You're out the door at 43k minimum in WA state after fees it looks like, and a used 2017 would be 37k easy.

I also can't for the life of me find a 2016+ Golf R with DCC anywhere in the country according to places like cars.com / autotrader. How is this car so loving rare?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd buy a new car if you're dealing with a difference of a grand or less after negotiation

Yeah, this. There's a '17 with with 8k miles up in Greeley that they just dropped down to $32k that I might try to look at tomorrow. Gonna go look at that RS with the monster stripes on it too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nuts and Gum posted:

How are new R's going for under 40k? You're out the door at 43k minimum in WA state after fees it looks like, and a used 2017 would be 37k easy.

I also can't for the life of me find a 2016+ Golf R with DCC anywhere in the country according to places like cars.com / autotrader. How is this car so loving rare?

Take a look at cargurus/autotrader/cars.com. There are leftover 2018s going for 36-38k or so new, obviously without taxes/fees.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The VW dealer in Greeley wants to run a loving credit check for me to test drive their used Golf R. "Well, it's a pretty rare car and there are only about 7 in Colorado and we're trying to keep the miles down" :fuckoff:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LOL.

You could go test drive an RS4 no problem, I bet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fknlo posted:

The VW dealer in Greeley wants to run a loving credit check for me to test drive their used Golf R. "Well, it's a pretty rare car and there are only about 7 in Colorado and we're trying to keep the miles down" :fuckoff:

Its so they can welcome you back from your test drive with an offer of 11% APR on a 72 month loan!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Its so they can welcome you back from your test drive with an offer of 11% APR on a 72 month loan!

I would love the opportunity to laugh in their faces.

The dealer didn't have the RS. It was now at one of their sister dealerships while still showing at theirs for the last week. I love it when a sales person gets all befuddled when you aren't interested in anything else and won't give them your number. I did get to drive a Golf R at Carmax. Faster GTI with no wheelspin describes it fairly well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

Take a look at cargurus/autotrader/cars.com. There are leftover 2018s going for 36-38k or so new, obviously without taxes/fees.

If you aren't in a rush, we really aren't that far from the MK8 Golf R announcement later this year

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Mk.8 is likely to be a more incremental improvement than Mk.6 to Mk.7 was, and I doubt we get the R until MY2022 since we don't get the lesser cars until 2021.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Uhhhh whats up with this poll do we want a new one or kill it or leave it alone it's just a poll or what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poll: is the Elantra GT a hot hatchb

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poll: is the Elantra GT a hot hatchb

Fixed

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Update it. But leave out the Type R on purpose to annoy people.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

No it's fixed now.

But really you can nuke or change the votes, change the title, and have up to 8 options. Gimme a list.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Focus ST/RS
Type R
A45/GLA45
GTI/Golf R
Veloster N
WRX/STI
Fiesta ST
Something European, I guess. S4?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao get that merc off the list

actually just get rid of the poll

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How is the A45 not a hot hatch?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, there are some relatively cheap GLA45 AMG's out there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Man, there are some relatively cheap GLA45 AMG's out there.

Have you driven one yet?

The interior is hot garbage, and it drives like poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

How is the A45 not a hot hatch?

ok my mind went to the GLA45 not the A45 but in any case scrap that poll

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Have you driven one yet?

The interior is hot garbage, and it drives like poo poo.

I don't think I've seen one, let alone driven one! The interiors on the 2015's that are cheap have not held up well at all. The leather portion of the black steering wheel was brown on one of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thank u

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
If you really want to turn the screws to a dealer tell them that your significant other will kill you if you spend more than XYZ dollars on the purchase, with that number being invoice - holdback but you'll finance with them. They'll give you a rotten finance deal which you can immediately pay off/refi. Dealer will lose out on their huge finance kickback and there is nothing they can do about it .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shamino posted:

If you really want to turn the screws to a dealer tell them that your significant other will kill you if you spend more than XYZ dollars on the purchase, with that number being invoice - holdback but you'll finance with them. They'll give you a rotten finance deal which you can immediately pay off/refi. Dealer will lose out on their huge finance kickback and there is nothing they can do about it .

That's what I'm currently trying to do for a gently used golf r. I'm hoping that a manual German hatchback is tough to sell in the South.