Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do the 6th gear test at 35mph and see if it slips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
90k is early but not too unreasonable for a clutch depending on the type of driving you do

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Especially with 50k of unknown driving habits by the PO before purchase. Most people have no concept of the most basic rev matching on downshifts, not slipping from 3K+ to get started, etc.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Is this like 3rd gear up to 35 and then pop it into 6th? I’ve heard of trying to start moving in 3rd gear as another way to test, though I hate intentionally stalling.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes, put it in 6th at like 35mph and add a bunch of throttle to see if the clutch slips or if the car just bogs

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unless you have a small, high-boost engine. Maybe don't do that then.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
low speed pre ignition is just a myth perpetuated by car companies to keep boost low to sell more highly tuned halo cars

why do diesels work if lspi is bad huh answer that smart guy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:hmmyes:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Did the 6th gear at 35. Instantly pulled the rpms down from 3k to 1.5k, so clutch is looking less likely. The usual time I get it is after going into 5th gear and if I’m accelerating harder from 45 to 55, around 2.5k to 3k rpm it’ll suddenly do the jump without a noticeable change in acceleration/speed until I let off the gas. Doesn’t do it every time though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Test drove a 2019 GTI SE today. Is it just my imagination, or does the Golf R come with a better interior?

Gotta say, after driving the R, the GTI just kind of felt meh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I really need to learn stick so I can more to an R once this is paid off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

I really need to learn stick so I can more to an R once this is paid off.

Just do what I did and buy the car. Trust me, you will learn quick when you realize you gave away the keys to your only other way home.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I could likely manage it. The DSG lets you get the basic idea if you want to, but damned if I’ve ever worked out the science of downshifting.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Trial by (clutch) fire is the best possible way to learn quickly. It doesn't even have to be your only car, just take an uber to go actually pick up the car you just bought.

You'll learn well enough to get around by the time you make it back to your driveway.

Just remember to disengage the parking brake or things will be exponentially more difficult than they should be until you figure it out.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Just remember to disengage the parking brake or things will be exponentially more difficult than they should be until you figure it out.

...and smell bad too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When I was learning to drive stick, I had the opposite problem: I was afraid to let the clutch slip enough, so I stalled and and rough shifts a whole bunch.

Don't sweat it, you're not going to destroy your clutch by learning to drive stick on your own car. You're going to frustrate the hell out of yourself for the first few days, and then you'll be fine, and the majority of clutch damage will come from being lazy or careless once you feel completely confident driving stick on a regular basis.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I learned by buying a manual transmission for my first car. Only took a single solo drive to learn to check for the ebrake.

The rear wheels never smelled the same again :(

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If you end up modifying that R, that clutch is going to transition from a 2-3 time job over its life, to an every couple year wear item anyway. Don't worry about it, and learn/enjoy your car. Anyone that gives you guff can suck a fart out of your rear end, it's your car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Test drove a 2019 GTI SE today. Is it just my imagination, or does the Golf R come with a better interior?

Gotta say, after driving the R, the GTI just kind of felt meh.

SE has leather interior, so it should be about the same.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

You can get the SE with plaid now, leather is an addl $700

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Side note: the cornflower blue on the GTI rabbit edition looks rad, shame you can’t get it on other trims

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i do love the color

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Side note: the cornflower blue on the GTI rabbit edition looks rad, shame you can’t get it on other trims

That's actually Swedish racing green. Silly germans

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, this was the leather one. For whatever reason I felt the interior quality was better in the Golf R I drove a few weeks ago, but it could have just been the German adhesives getting to my brain.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That's an awesome color!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Is DCC really worth the extra cost? I've been driving my friend's Golf SE (non GTI), and it's already got a really nice ride as is.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've pretty much always left my GTI in one setting and never changed it. Also another thing to consider if you are ever going to modify your suspension setup. I can't remember how the options were packaged when I got the car a couple years ago, and don't know how it's packaged now, but if I could have gotten the performance pack without it I probably would have.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

:negative:

Other driver slammed on their brakes on a snowy freeway and pushed me into a concrete median wall. Looks like two new fenders, entire front bumper assembly, and a new fog light, if they don't find more to replace.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

New headlamp as well. Your hood is also damaged.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

xsf421 posted:

Other driver slammed on their brakes on a snowy freeway and pushed me into a concrete median wall. Looks like two new fenders, entire front bumper assembly, and a new fog light, if they don't find more to replace.

Woof. At least you're safe. Keep us updated on how long the car is out of commission. I'm always worried about replacement parts for this thing

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

xsf421 posted:

drat man. Metro Detroit roads were apparently not great this morning. I took the day off, but I heard from a few people the commute to work was sketchy.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Oh god now I’m just over here hugging my FoRS and rocking back and forth. My biggest worry is that another driver is going to take me out, I already had a near miss earlier this winter that was only avoided by the fact that I knew the idiot was going to plow into my rear end, but I had enough room to quickly pull into the adjacent turn lane and sure enough he plowed into the person in front of me before I ninja lane hopped. gently caress other drivers that don’t respect the weather.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

drat man. Metro Detroit roads were apparently not great this morning. I took the day off, but I heard from a few people the commute to work was sketchy.

Went in a little late today ~9:30 and it was fine.

RIP that RS though. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Oh god now I’m just over here hugging my FoRS and rocking back and forth. My biggest worry is that another driver is going to take me out, I already had a near miss earlier this winter that was only avoided by the fact that I knew the idiot was going to plow into my rear end, but I had enough room to quickly pull into the adjacent turn lane and sure enough he plowed into the person in front of me before I ninja lane hopped. gently caress other drivers that don’t respect the weather.

I've come to terms with the fact that my RS isn't going to be a pristine collector's car. It's gonna be battle-scarred and I feel like it's the kind of car that welcomes that.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

This was like 6:30pm last night (I-96 westbound near southfield freeway), the dude must have had completely bald tires. He stood on his brakes, fishtailed to 90* and ran straight into me, pushing me into the concrete barrier. Insurance says it's a $1400 repair, which is definitely wrong, trying to find a shop for it now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

xsf421 posted:

This was like 6:30pm last night (I-96 westbound near southfield freeway), the dude must have had completely bald tires. He stood on his brakes, fishtailed to 90* and ran straight into me, pushing me into the concrete barrier. Insurance says it's a $1400 repair, which is definitely wrong, trying to find a shop for it now.

Yeah that seems low for a hood/fender/bumper cover/headlight. You guys are making me glad I parked my FiST for the winter months and got a beater beige 98 avalon with 220,000 miles on it.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Yeeaaah in no universe will that only be 1400. It was 3k for just replaced fender, headlight, fog lamp on my old GTI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Everything is repairable except the for the fog assembly and the headlamp if it’s scratched like it looks

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Labor to fix those parts > OEM replacement part cost, therefore they will be replaced. Body shops pretty much only repair removable panels when you can't get replacements or it is a customer pay job where the customer requests repair versus replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PabloBOOM posted:

Yeeaaah in no universe will that only be 1400. It was 3k for just replaced fender, headlight, fog lamp on my old GTI.

That was $17k. He's not gonna be anywhere near that, but $1400 is laughable.