Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its not that stupid but i don't get the fascination with the stinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I drove one a while ago, and really liked it. It's cost-effective, comfortable, looks good, and drives well to me. Really just switching to the KDM badges and getting a better sounding exhaust is all it "needs".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Drive an Accord Sport first before you buy a Stinger. Toyota is coming out with a TRD Camry too, I'd take either of those over a Kia.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmm, I kind of dig the red seat inserts. A shame it's so far away.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
those are orange my homie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sneakyfrog posted:

those are orange my homie.

I need a new computer, the color looks red to me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
turn on your monitor

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hush!

Why did Ford change the blue used on the FiST? The old blue is so much better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
agreed. the molten orange is way too eyecatching for me, I would have gotten a blue one were that color available but I just went with the white stealthmobile that cops for some magical reason just don't see

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd prefer white but I can't find one with the Recaros so it's most likely going to be black.

Edit: Yeah I know I can probably find a brand new one with what I want but the only white one that popped up with Recaros is $25K. By shooting for a used one at $15K I can grab up a wheel & tire package and an AP right away.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 9, 2019

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Okay I want a FiST with Recaros and low miles. Looks like 2017s can be had like this for $15K on average. Any downside to this plan?

If you have good credit the promo interest rates mean you'd barely pay more buying one new for like 19k. These aren't exactly hard to come by which means there are plenty of deals around.

Pibur posted:

I'm considering selling my FiST to get a Stinger GT. I still have a Z3 Coupe as a low 200s HP nugget and could do with a car that doesn't make me feel exhausted after drives longer than 2 hours. How stupid am I?

I drove the Stinger a couple of times and really liked it, but decided I'd wait 2 years and see if Korean depreciation means I can get a $48k car for $22k.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Drive an Accord Sport first before you buy a Stinger. Toyota is coming out with a TRD Camry too, I'd take either of those over a Kia.

I drove an Accord sport, it feels like an Accord with slightly more HP. Super spongy not at all sporty feeling to drive. Felt very pedestrian compared to even a Mazda 6. One of those cars that ticks boxes on paper but is wholly uninspiring IRL. Also looks like it's sitting like 2 inches too high for some reason.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn't that the point tho if you want a comfortable DD and already have a sports car? A commuter appliance with an automatic isn't going to be very inspiring if you're used to driving a FiST obviously. I was speaking more in terms of reliability over a Kia, I'll take a Honda or Toyota all day long over that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MunchE posted:

If you have good credit the promo interest rates mean you'd barely pay more buying one new for like 19k. These aren't exactly hard to come by which means there are plenty of deals around.

My credit is excellent but the selection of new WITH the Recaros is sparse. There's 8 showing up in the cars.com search with them, $20-22K. I could do that.

But man, this makes me wonder if I could live without them

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/780692988/overview/

Edit: A ha! Some of them are listed incorrectly. I found a white one with the seats for $22K. I should mention the wife asked me if I could keep this purchase at or under $16K though.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 9, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MunchE posted:

I drove the Stinger a couple of times and really liked it, but decided I'd wait 2 years and see if Korean depreciation means I can get a $48k car for $22k.

This is exactly my plan as well. An off-lease CPO 2019 model in 2021 or so with about 3/4 of the powertrain warranty remaining seems like it should be a perfect daily driver upgrade when my back decides I can't deal with the FiST any longer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't bought a car in six years, how do I haggle when a car is halfway across the country?

https://www.fordofkirkland.com/used/Ford/2017-Ford-Fiesta-fc397b680a0e0ae949cd3e09ea8c82c7.htm

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

I'd prefer white but I can't find one with the Recaros so it's most likely going to be black.

Edit: Yeah I know I can probably find a brand new one with what I want but the only white one that popped up with Recaros is $25K. By shooting for a used one at $15K I can grab up a wheel & tire package and an AP right away.

Buy mine for 15k, plat white recaros 30k miles. Never tracked or modded 👀

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I was speaking more in terms of reliability over a Kia, I'll take a Honda or Toyota all day long over that.

I hate to break it to you, but Honda and Toyota have had a lot of “are you loving serious?” engineering failures in the fairly recent-ish past. Just check out the Consumer Reports rankings :-/

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Buy mine for 15k, plat white recaros 30k miles. Never tracked or modded 👀

Yo. Second if he's not interested, aren't you in NC? What year is it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

angryrobots posted:

Detroit. Car is tracked and modded btw, was joking about that. Considering moving on from it, but it's been such a great car that I'm torn.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

angryrobots posted:

I've got a '16 Molten Orange, only mods are mudflaps, the infotainment update to use Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and curb rash on the black OEM wheels in MA?

Where the gently caress do I think I am? NASIOC?

Pibur fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 9, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I hate to break it to you, but Honda and Toyota have had a lot of “are you loving serious?” engineering failures in the fairly recent-ish past. Just check out the Consumer Reports rankings :-/

Consumer reports? Lol no thanks.

http://dashboard-light.com/reports/Toyota.html

Kia is well below the industry average, I think I'll stay with Toyota or Honda at this point in Kia's career.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Consumer reports? Lol no thanks.

http://dashboard-light.com/reports/Toyota.html

Kia is well below the industry average, I think I'll stay with Toyota or Honda at this point in Kia's career.

Mitsubishi is above the "average" on that chart and they still have the Tercel and MR2 on their breakdown of quality by car. I think their information may be a little stale.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a long term quality rating that's why. Guess it says something about the manufacturers below Mitsubishi huh :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They have the M3 rated as "above average". I could maybe see that on the F8x? E46 and E9x? Not so much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I haven't bought a car in six years, how do I haggle when a car is halfway across the country?

https://www.fordofkirkland.com/used/Ford/2017-Ford-Fiesta-fc397b680a0e0ae949cd3e09ea8c82c7.htm

a salesman at this dealer was an absolute loving oval office to me when i test drove a fiesta st and then wanted to try the focus st and the dude refused to let me try it out. permanently on my shitlist.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

I don't know about that. It looks like the information in there hasn't been updated since 2015 for the majority of vehicles and manufacturers based on me chosing some random nameplates I know still exist. None of the charts they use or model ranges or models they offer as options to check seem to be newer than 2015. The newest thing I can find is the Toyota Camry which has the 2012-2019 model specifically mentioned, but also ignores that there was a new gen introduced in 2017. So, yeah, it may be long term quality, but it's also missing what looks to be at least the last 4 years in it's estimations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

They have the M3 rated as "above average". I could maybe see that on the F8x? E46 and E9x? Not so much.

Cars like that tend to skew the rating because of the limited numbers and lower mileage examples I think.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Ah, I may be missing the point of the website. They only care about used cars. Still makes it less than useful for a car that was only introduced a little over a year ago, with a drivetrain that's similarly aged.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pibur posted:

Ah, I may be missing the point of the website. They only care about used cars. Still makes it less than useful for a car that was only introduced a little over a year ago, with a drivetrain that's similarly aged.

Yeah, obviously there's lots of information out there about newer cars, but if you want to find out how they will last it's a good indication imo.

I'm not trying to persuade you, but it's something to think about if you plan on keeping a car long term, and imo Kia isn't quite there yet.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I wasn’t necessarily opining on Kia, moreso opining on how Honda and Toyota are no longer the default “reliable option”. Most cars today are fairly good (except Nissan and Chrysler).

Edit for content, got 16” wheels and Michelin x-Ice for this winter! Walmart had the Michelin’s for $78/ea + $12 install and the wheels were $150 from some guy with a sonata.

iPhone SE camera was good before 3 years of abuse and scratches.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 9, 2019

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it has a dope key fob

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

It's a long term quality rating that's why. Guess it says something about the manufacturers below Mitsubishi huh :v:

I mean a rating of how good cars were in the 90s isn't really relevant?

Also that site looks janky as gently caress

But I've learned in my long time of car enthusing that most people's opinion of brands is almost exclusively based with experiences with that brand 20 years prior

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MunchE posted:

But I've learned in my long time of car enthusing that most people's opinion of brands is almost exclusively based with experiences with that brand 20 years prior

I've learned in my very long time of buying, owning and selling a lot of loving cars that the wanky website is actually pretty drat accurate :shrug:

[e] janky, my bad :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 10, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Edit for content, got 16” wheels and Michelin x-Ice for this winter! Walmart had the Michelin’s for $78/ea + $12 install and the wheels were $150 from some guy with a sonata.

Do you people who choose to live in the goddamn arctic really change wheels/tires multiple times a year?

In-loving-sanity.

I change my oil. That's it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why is that crazy

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Crunchy Black posted:

Do you people who choose to live in the goddamn arctic really change wheels/tires multiple times a year?

In-loving-sanity.

Maybe you should rotate your tires too, considering it's the exact same thing (except with another set of wheels) and not a big deal at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MunchE posted:

I mean a rating of how good cars were in the 90s isn't really relevant?

Also that site looks janky as gently caress

What if they are still driving those 20 year old cars though

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Crunchy Black posted:

In-loving-sanity.

You might be *shocked* then to realize most rational countries near the arctic _require_ you to change from summer/allseason to winter tires. (and back again when things thaw out)

It's the law even.

I know, public safety, gently caress me, right?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I sometimes take my wheels off just to inspect the brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I sometimes take my wheels off just to inspect the brakes.

That's crazy talk, I just wait until I hear metal on metal grinding what's wrong with you people :colbert: