Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's cheap. Car is 100% standard. 87 is fine for GTIs post-2015, I think?
Most modern turbocharged cars are just fine to run on 87 octane on a stock tune, either officially or unofficially. They won't kill themselves or even run noticeably worse in normal driving circumstances.

That said, if you look at the specs you'll almost always find an asterisk noting that the quoted power, acceleration, and MPG numbers require 91 or 93 octane to achieve, like this note in the Fiesta ST brochure:

The GTI specifically doesn't seem to have such a note, but it's entirely believable that it just has a very conservative factory tune because those things get so much out of a "Stage 1".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That really depends on the engine in question.

While the current VWs may well be fine running on whatever it wasn't so many years ago that even the basic 1.4 TSI required premium

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The current GTI says 87 fuel on the gas cap. In the manual it says the power is rated by using premium fuel though. So 87 you're looking at less HP, but probably hard to notice I would guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

That really depends on the engine in question.

While the current VWs may well be fine running on whatever it wasn't so many years ago that even the basic 1.4 TSI required premium
That's why I said most modern, you definitely can't assume 100% but it's pretty widely true. I don't believe there are any production turbocharged cars in the direct injection era that don't have some kind of knock detection so they at least won't eat themselves.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
No hot hatch in this one, but just as an example here is Car and Driver testing some of this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

That's why I said most modern, you definitely can't assume 100% but it's pretty widely true. I don't believe there are any production turbocharged cars in the direct injection era that don't have some kind of knock detection so they at least won't eat themselves.

The ~2010 era 1.4 TSI (with the supercharger as well as the turbo) had knock detection but they'd still eat themselves if you habitually ran them on 91 RON

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

The ~2010 era 1.4 TSI (with the supercharger as well as the turbo) had knock detection but they'd still eat themselves if you habitually ran them on 91 RON
Twincharging would almost certainly be a factor there. The turbo part was very important to my statement, since in a modern implementation the ECU typically has a few more variables it can pull back on to keep everything happy. A supercharged or high-compression NA engine is a different matter for sure, especially with the supercharger set up to make boost low.

Also I should probably stick the asterisk in there that my information is based entirely on US spec vehicles, so if it wasn't sold here or had a significantly different tune elsewhere what I say may not apply. I know that a few manufacturers have offered official performance upgrade packages in other markets that basically amounted to a factory "stage 1" that really did require high octane fuel to run properly but were never offered here even though comparable tunes were widely available on the aftermarket.

It seems at least plausible that maybe US spec vehicles are set up to be more tolerant to cheap gas, at least if they're the sort of vehicle expected to be daily'd by someone who doesn't know anything about cars. Since a lot more of us have literally no choice but to drive there are a lot more people who will just throw 87 in to save a few bucks at the pump regardless of what the sticker says.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I felt pretty sheepish putting 93 in my GTI almost exclusively for years before I noticed the gas cap but I still do it anyway.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I always put premium in mine too, which is 92 in Oregon. I just don't drive all that much so the cost is minimal. I always wonder if I would be able to tell the difference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gas prices in michigan are super hosed and the 93/87 split is like a dollar or a buck ten

the m5 obviously gets the good stuff (press f to pay respects to my wallet) but i started running 87 in the FoST because i didn't give a poo poo about it and saving ~$12 a pop was decent. nice to only put 87 in the alltrack too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
1 dollar difference? what the gently caress?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

My Costco (Detroit area) was $1.15 for 87 and $1.99 for 91! Most other places are $1+ difference.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$1.15? What the gently caress. We are still like $2.15 a gallon for 87 here rock bottom. If I could find gas for a buck a gallon I'd be buying drums off craigslist.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
average price for premium in wa state is 2.99

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

average price for premium in wa state is 2.99
Yeah, I'm in Oregon and couldn't believe some of the prices in the country. We never get cheap gas when the prices crash like other states.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just filled up the Lexus with 93 at 2.24 a gallon, not bad.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Well now I feel left out. I need to get gas in the next couple of days, and I'm filling up with maximum octane (the car can still get 87).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Ahh the land of cheap gas...

Petroleum is as cheap as I’ve ever seen it here in Australia, and I’m paying $4.23 dollarydoos per gallon of the cheap stuff. (91 octane, which I think is equivalent to your 87).

Don’t look at New Zealand prices.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

slothrop posted:

Ahh the land of cheap gas...

Petroleum is as cheap as I’ve ever seen it here in Australia, and I’m paying $4.23 dollarydoos per gallon of the cheap stuff. (91 octane, which I think is equivalent to your 87).

Don’t look at New Zealand prices.

Since the whole country got locked down 91 has crashed to $1.81NZD/l which is $6.85 per gallon ($4.16USD or $6.49AUD). I think it was up around $2.30/l earlier in March.

Most people can't drive anywhere though except the supermarket - I haven't even charged the Leaf since lockdown started and it can do like 80km tops from fully charged.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

it's pretty hosed up! when it was $2.50/3.50 it was annoying but in percentage terms not so ridiculous. now that it's $1.30/2.50 its ridiculous.

state is sitting on roughly 50 days supply of gasoline because we drove a lot beforehand and now everyone is being pretty good about social distancing, so gas is very, very cheap.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:haw:. :imunfunny:

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 18, 2020

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Dang I should have gotten a Rabbit like 6 months ago when I was looking at them, hardly any around now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I intended to ask here about this car the other day and decided against it and deleted my post - seller messaged me twice since, asking me to just make an offer.

2017 FiST
Grey/black
Non Recaro
Sync 3
Just noticed the photos aren't angled where the moonroof is visible. I'm good either way I suppose, but I personally like and would use one. I know many people prefer a slicktop.
Looks like I can add the heated side mirrors plug n play, and even the stock backup camera from 18+ with a CANBUS editor.
1-owner, clean title in hand. Haven't run Carfax yet but he claims no accidents.

The bad - he had a shop "professionally install" a catless Depo downpipe (and injen cone filter intake, sigh) so it has a set code for O2 out of range or whatever. I debated and decided to stay away, but looking now I see a bunch of owners on the Fiesta boards run them.

He does have the stock parts. I don't think he's particularly hands-on - like he doesn't have an OBD adapter but it offering to take it to AutoZone and send me pictures of the set code(s?). The car is clean otherwise and looks cared for. Owner communicates in complete sentences ( :v: ).

He was asking $13k. Assuming it otherwise lives up to his claims, what's the dollar point where it's worth taking a chance on? Or should I even care? Or walk away?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Dipshits running catless are indeed very common especially in the US Fiesta ST scene, it seems. Not necessarily an indicator of anything major. Personally I think the intake noise is pretty glorious with a pod filter but each to their own.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

I intended to ask here about this car the other day and decided against it and deleted my post - seller messaged me twice since, asking me to just make an offer.

He was asking $13k. Assuming it otherwise lives up to his claims, what's the dollar point where it's worth taking a chance on? Or should I even care? Or walk away?

Price seems pretty high considering you could probably still find new ones around dirt cheap, I'd start searching dealer inventories first to see what's out there.

Also the used market is taking a poo poo so offer accordingly, I'd offer 11k and see if he bites.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pretty sure I will be getting that FiST this week, and I put my Matrix XRS up for sale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the XRS was underrated

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the XRS was underrated

It's no Vibe GT.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Drove 1hr45min to look at that 2017 FiST, with cash in hand intending to get it. Clean autocheck, asked owner very specially about issues which they assured me there were none.

Very first thing I see is the hood overlaps the passenger side headlight and doesn't close properly. Pop the hood - both headlight mounting tabs are broken and the hood catch is ~.75" pushed back, which is why it doesn't latch. There's a random bolt added in the radiator support. "Oh yeah I didn't think that was a big deal, I think someone backed into it parallel parking".

I keep looking, and the loving steel bar behind the bumper cover is folded in. Like, I can't fathom how it got folded without something getting busted on the bumper or at least the grill. So this car has suffered either magical or ghost damage, or active fuckery hiding issues with junkyard parts.

I had to pass. loving PO's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's just a seller hoping a buyer is stupid enough not to catch any of that, but man driving almost two hours to figure that out would piss me off.

I'm going through the same thing looking at Wranglers, they tend to have rust issues and almost every person that has said it doesn't have rust lied about it probably hoping I wasn't going to look underneath it. One guy even went so far as to paint over the rust like I wouldn't notice, he even forgot to pick up the cap to the spray can which was sitting underneath the jeep and immediately tipped me off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmaooo

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I drove a friend's 2014 John Cooper Works coupe and was really underwhelmed with the acceleration. It was an automatic though so maybe that's why. It was still really fun to toss around.

That's my hot hatch story thanks.

Edit: I mean it was certainly quicker than my Mazda6 but I expected to feel more thrust than I did. If you had told me it was 175 or 180 hp I'd believe it but it didn't feel like 208. Maybe my butt dyno is way off though.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2020

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Has anyone here gone from a FiST to GTI? Thinking of picking up a used 2018 GTI SE with the nice 6-year warranty, but also thinking maybe I should just keep my fun and small and cheap-feeling Fiesta ST and save $5000.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I haven’t, but I’ve seen a fair few posts on FiST-related FB groups over the years from people who have gone to GTIs, Rs, or Audi’s, and the comments that tend to come back are things like “the interior is way nicer and it’s really fast but is boring”.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, this comes up fairly often and it seems the general consensus is that the GTI is the natural progression for FiST owners who want to step up to something more mature and/or practical.'

I haven't driven a GTI since MkV so I don't know how much they've changed, but it seems reasonable to me. The GTI doesn't have that same "excited puppy" feel the FiST does, but it's still ready to play any time you are.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

It's hard to fault a GTI. I owned mine for 2.5 years. Very practical, being a hatch, fun to drive and the car hauls rear end when you want it to. With a 6 year warranty I would say grab it. The car feels amazingly solid. I bought my Dad's Honda Fit since he retired, and moved out of the county, and that was the only reason I sold the GTI. Driving the Fit back to back with the GTI made me laugh because getting in/driving the GTI felt like a bank vault compared to the Honda. It did have some maintenance issues, but for me they were covered under the warranty/CPO warranty, so I think as long as you have a warranty you should be good.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I ordered a bunch of Spoon Sports parts for my Type R because I want to be even more of a special snowflake. Now I get to play the waiting game

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

I ordered a bunch of Spoon Sports parts for my Type R because I want to be even more of a special snowflake. Now I get to play the waiting game

I got a Mugen leather wrapped shift knob because I’m tired of burning my hand in the summer.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Midjack posted:

I got a Mugen leather wrapped shift knob because I’m tired of burning my hand in the summer.

I ordered Spoon's Duracon Knob because that 100% happened to me the day i picked it up from the dealer and It was immediately the first thing I wanted to buy. We're almost into Winter now but I might as well add it all together to save on shipping

Full list

On another note

Honda New Zealand is importing 10 special edition Type R's with Mugen bodykits pre-installed and part of me wants to be smug and go "Mugen who :smug:"
They don't even have the best part of the mugen bodykit which is the front bumper grille covers

Solus fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I noticed that the Veloster N has one door on the drivers side and two on the passenger side.

That is all.