Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Focus ST guys; I just bought mine this weekend, and in Northwest Ohio I will need winter tires. Looking at 17 inch wheels, I couldn't find any with the same offset as the stock wheels. Can anyone offer advice on what size they bought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I think your choices are limited if you want to stay with 17's and not rub. Most people run a 16" or even 15". You could always buy stock 16" rims from a 10+ Focus for cheap and then run whatever tires you wanted.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
My ST has the new design brakes that won't fit a 16 on it, per the ST manual.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have 16s on mine ('13) and it works fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

priznat posted:

Does the Mercedes-Benz GLA count as a hatchback? Because the 45 AMG version, good lord :stare:

Sort of a low crossover with the AMG being even lower with a 2.0 turbo delivering 355hp AWD.

Slighter taller and heavier version of the A-class, which is definitely a hatch. The two are barely distinguishable, so I'd say it counts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KozmoNaut posted:

Slighter taller and heavier version of the A-class, which is definitely a hatch. The two are barely distinguishable, so I'd say it counts.

Nice, the AMG is on my wish list now but between the cost (50k+) and the potentially terrifying maintenance costs it is a bit of a long shot.

Sure are nifty looking though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

ongoing Focus ST engine saga: I've called the dealer every week and the recall service parts are perpetually two weeks back-ordered.

It is really irritating. The problem gets worse when it's hot and in loving South Carolina we've got another three weeks of 80+ degree temperatures.

The dealer network isn't even getting the procedures until the 29th. Parts after.

It sucks.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

priznat posted:

Nice, the AMG is on my wish list now but between the cost (50k+) and the potentially terrifying maintenance costs it is a bit of a long shot.

Sure are nifty looking though.

My boss drives one. She loves it but the maintenance cost is astro-loving-nomical.

She'll be ditching it the second bundled lease servicing stops, but hot drat is she enjoying it in the meantime. I will pry the keys from her hand one day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PuntCuncher posted:

My boss drives one. She loves it but the maintenance cost is astro-loving-nomical.

She'll be ditching it the second bundled lease servicing stops, but hot drat is she enjoying it in the meantime. I will pry the keys from her hand one day.

Is it true that Merc oil changes from the dealer are $400 plus even for the B-class? I drive a BMW and Mercedes maintenance and reliability scares the poo poo out of me, even.

Sure are great looking cars, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So out of curiosity and theorycrafting, how much money would it take to get a FoST to a reliable and driveable 435 HP?
And if you could, would you? FWD and no LSD make that sound like a really really bad idea.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ilkhan posted:

So out of curiosity and theorycrafting, how much money would it take to get a FoST to a reliable and driveable 435 HP?
And if you could, would you? FWD and no LSD make that sound like a really really bad idea.

Mine only makes 260 and I can't reliably get it all to the ground. Im gonna go with a $gorillion

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I love the Audi S1 and am going to test drive one. I just know I wont be able to get over the price, AU$58k drive away is just too much to justify.

detuned golf r motor, awd and NO DSG option sounds like a winner to me!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Stock turbo on race gas is running out of steam right around 400hp. There is an LSD kit available. I know a few owners who have it installed. Haven't asked how its changing drivability though.

Edit : Wrong about the 400. Thought that was high for stock turbo. Stock runs out at 300 HP.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 27, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ilkhan posted:

I'm not terribly familiar with the capabilities of the stock block or transmission in the FoST. Back in my SRT-4 days, the stock engine and tranny of an SRT-4 could handle those power levels as long as the engine was tuned properly (except for the clutch). Dodge over engineered the poo poo out of that powertrain though. I doubt Ford did the same.

Assuming you don't have to upgrade the internals of the engine or transmission, it would probably take around 8 to 10 thousand dollars to get that kind of power. There are a bunch of unknowns to me like the ability of the ECU to handle things like that, etc. A turbo kit would probably run around 6 grand for everything you need. Another 1000 for exhaust, another 800 for a tune, and a few hundred for some dyno time.

An old friend of mine was making that kind of power with a large 60 trim turbo on the 2.4L SRT-4 engine with a full suite of supporting modifications. (Exhaust, tune, fuel upgrades, full turbo kit, intercooler, etc.) The problem was it wasn't terribly drivable. He drove it every day, but the turbo was so large that power didn't really come on strong until the upper 3000 RPM range, and really needed to be close to 4000RPM, but man oh man 4,000 to 6500 RPM was like a rocket ship taking off. His street tune was around 425WHP on 91 octane, race gas could see him in the 500WHP range. Most people went with a smaller 50 trim turbo... less peak HP, but didn't need so long to spool up. AGP Turbo had the turbo kit to go with back in the day. Good people there.

There were a lot of downsides to that much power in a FWD car. The small FWD tires couldn't hook up at all. I think the widest you could go on a SRT-4 was 235 without modification, and a 400WHP car could roast those in 4th gear going 80MPH easily. It's loving scary to break your tires loose going that fast. That kind of power needed a race style clutch, he had a 4 or 6 puck stage something or other and it was a bit of a bitch to daily drive.

I could go on and on about high hp SRT-4's which would mostly translate to any high HP FWD vehicle, but long story short, it's a loving stupid idea and a waste of money. Some light mods to make the car faster was perfect. The Mopar Stage 3 kit back in the day was really nice and would have been my stopping point with that car. Spending 10 to 15 thousand dollars to have a pain in the rear end vehicle to drive just doesn't make sense. Sell the car and buy an Evo or STi or something. The AWD actually makes the power usable. I love my SHO because of the AWD, when I push the pedal it just hunches down and takes off. No wheel spin, no drama, just go go go.

Some of those SRT-4 guys were nuts. I appreciated the car for what it was, but never tried to turn it into something it wasn't. If you wanted to go fast in a straight line, back in the day you bought a Terminator Cobra and a pulley. Some of these kids paid 22K for the car, and then pumped 15K in mods into it. They could have just bought a fast car with all that money and saved themselves a lot of grief along the way.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I lied, sorry. The 400HP was with a big turbo. Check out their build threads for parts lists.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/13221-edgeautosport-com-s-focus-st-build.html
These guys are great, spent a few fridays at meetups they had at their shop.

Another guy I know is putting out some decent numbers :
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/9422-stacy-brought-you-custom-performance-engineering-edgeautosport-com.html

I'm good with just a tune and maybe an exhaust. The torque is just too much to hook up with much extra power.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 27, 2014

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

whitey delenda est posted:

ongoing Focus ST engine saga: I've called the dealer every week and the recall service parts are perpetually two weeks back-ordered.

It is really irritating. The problem gets worse when it's hot and in loving South Carolina we've got another three weeks of 80+ degree temperatures.

Same problem here, mine has gotten to where it only drives right if it's under 70. It's only under that for 12 minutes a night.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This could just as easily go in the dealership thread. I just test drove a FiST with a very relaxed salesman who told me to give it the beans, and ended up driving against a first gen Speed3. Couldn't ask for better conditions to compare it to my own car. Buddy said it's the most fun he's had on a test drive.

The FiST itself was a hoot, not as fast as the other Speed in a straight line but more fun than my own to toss into the corners, and like no torque steer.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
My new (to me) Mini S.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those are good wheels.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those are good wheels.

Thanks! I've had a sprayed Mustang and a Heads/Cam LS1 Camaro, and this little car is honestly more fun day-to-day than both of those cars.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Just got to SLC for the ST Octane Academy tomorrow. Any other goons here?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
So, for a while now I was seriously looking for a Miata replacement. I've been using a Miata and a motorcyle for the past 7 years and really needed something larger since life needs have changed (my wife also has a Miata and we got a dog.) I missed my opportunity last year since my job was moved to Germany and I didn't know how my financial situation would be.

Yesterday, I ordered a 2015 Molten Orange (My Miata has been my baby for years and is Evolution Orange. I love the color) Fiesta ST since it's been the only car stuck in my mind for so long. I just about purchased a GTI for the parts availability here in Deutschland but the reliability really disappointed me. I also know the Focus was around the same price but I really hate how the Focus ST felt during the test drive and when I rented a "Titanium" edition. Even the Fiesta turbocharged 1.0l I had to rent here was a blast.

I don't know why I wanted to tell y'all that, but I'm wicked excited about my soon to be new car. Any suggestions for easy upgrades or advice going forward? The Miata has always been a rock but I'm a little worried about owning a turbocharged car and additional maintenance.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Depending where you live weather-wise, get WeatherTechs. And if you want some light upgrades that are cheap, I think Cobb is/has a cold air intake or air filter that helps nicely.

I just a Cobb air filter in my FoST and it's bit more peppier with better sound.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
A lot of Focus people upgrade the intercooler, the stock one is fairly weak for sustained driving in boost. It gets heat soaked easily. I'm not sure if the Fiesta suffers from the same thing. After that, a tune with the Accessport is a logical step. Mountune UK is a great resource for ST parts.

2nding the Weathertechs, and winter tires.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
With a FiST, the most bang for your buck that you will ever get is the Cobb AP and air filter drop-in. It really makes quite a difference, and can easily be removed. EdgeAutoSPorts has 10% off sale almost every holiday and you can get both for $450 shipped, so you might watch for that if you do decide.

An intercooler is the next 'power' upgrade from that, but the Price:gain ratio is no where near as good. The stock IC and exhaust are both adequate on the FiST and I would keep them unless you want to run a more aggressive map, or are upgrading the turbo.

And I'm thirding the winter tires.

e; If you are buying the car in Germany be aware that they are MAF-tuned, where as the US-spec FiST's are not, so a Cobb AP (and many other US-spec parts) will not work it. But the good news is that they have had the car several years longer than us, so the aftermarket is bigger.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 7, 2014

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I really want to get a LSD for my FoST, but not after reading through any of the installation threads. I get that not everything could be a Ford 9", but drat.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Atmus posted:

I really want to get a LSD for my FoST, but not after reading through any of the installation threads. I get that not everything could be a Ford 9", but drat.

As far as FWD layouts go it's about as good as it's going to get without extensive modification. At that point you might as well go with something else.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

howling_mad posted:

As far as FWD layouts go it's about as good as it's going to get without extensive modification. At that point you might as well go with something else.

I figure I'd only ever bother with it if I managed to somehow destroy the stock differential. I can't picture that happening without destroying a lot of other stuff too.

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I am perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for 3 more years. I am perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for 3 more years. I am perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for 3 more years.

Local (to me) tuners have started port tuning G7 GTI (246 WKW / 547 WNM) & G7 R (285 WKW / 522 WNM) with very minor mods, you can follow them adjusting the maps and adding more hardware here:

http://www.vwgticlub.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

They have VBoxed a G7R with that set-up 0-62mph at 3.6 secs, 1/4 mile 11.8, full tank of gas (95 Octane) and street tyres.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlueBull posted:

Local (to me) tuners have started port tuning G7 GTI (246 WKW / 547 WNM) & G7 R (285 WKW / 522 WNM) with very minor mods, you can follow them adjusting the maps and adding more hardware here:

http://www.vwgticlub.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

They have VBoxed a G7R with that set-up 0-62mph at 3.6 secs, 1/4 mile 11.8, full tank of gas (95 Octane) and street tyres.

Now if only VWoA would stop being dooshes and give us the loving car already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FoST started stalling intermittently, probably due to the wiring harness. Taking it in on Thursday.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FoST started stalling intermittently, probably due to the wiring harness. Taking it in on Thursday.

Out of curiosity, when was your made? My FoST has not had any problems....yet.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Driving out to the ST Octane thing tomorrow. Hopefully I can figure out the gopro in time to make it worth it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
You know how sometimes you see a sign "No services next 70 miles"?

There isn't always a sign.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Atmus posted:

You know how sometimes you see a sign "No services next 70 miles"?

There isn't always a sign.
Story time?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ilkhan posted:

Story time?

The lapsed time between posts also makes this amazing

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Nothing quite so dramatic. I was driving down I-70, ran out of gas like 3 miles from the gas station, as I didn't stop in Fruita as I planned despite the awesome T-Rex banner. I assumed that the estimated range I had would get me to a station in Utah (and I guess it almost did), but the first gas station was a lot farther in than I expected.

It's entirely my fault for not paying more attention and planning my route better. I'm used to having a few hundred more miles in range, and by the time I realized I hosed up, I had to either cross the median and go back, or push on ahead and hope I made it. I chose poorly.

Anyway, I'm here. It seems like I'm the only guy with an ST3 package, from listening to the guys at the reception talk, and it sounds like they let you mount a gopro inside the vehicle now, so we'll see!

Bonneville isn't too far away, so I might go out there Friday morning, weather depending.

edit: I walked to the station, bought an overpriced gas can, filled it up with overpriced gas, started walking back and a UDOT guy pulled over, said he saw the stranded car, the guy with a gas can, and put two and two together and gave me a ride back to it and hung around until I was underway again.

edit 2: For those wondering, I got about ten miles on 0 miles left.

Atmus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 30, 2014

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
On straight, flat roads the ST might get some extra miles out of a ”0” estimated tank. But mine went to 0 just as a I started climbing a hill, and the car died within a minute of hitting 0. The fuel gauge for the ST is very accurate it seems, which threw me after driving Toyotas for years which always had 1-2 gallons left when showing empty.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I was going slightly uphill. Mine does a thing where the last 15 miles left really goes down fast, so it's possible that the 15 was accurate and the nosedive is wrong. Either way, I know better and it will probably be another decade before I can take a vacation anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Out of curiosity, when was your made? My FoST has not had any problems....yet.

June 8, 2013.

CEL came on but cleared - still having trouble maintaining revs at idle. Ford dealer rescheduled my appointment due to parts availability. Very annoying - you can see both your own stock and the depot stock as well as lead time. Come on.