Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Full of glitter and trucker sweat?

Fun to look, fun to play with.

Seriously drive this thing. It's keeping me from buying the FoST right now, just working out the budget impact :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Voltage posted:

If you pay for shipping it's yours, email me allidoistype at gmail dot com. I still have to take it off but I should have time this weekend.

Awesome thanks, I think I sent it to the right email...let me know if you didn't get it.

Also feeling pretty smug just rolled over 16,000 miles, and not a spot of curb rash, on my stock wheels at least the winter ones not so much.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Fun to look, fun to play with.

Seriously drive this thing. It's keeping me from buying the FoST right now, just working out the budget impact :/

What Genesis?
Even though it's an entirely different drive, the first gen sedan has always been on my radar. It strikes me as a modern day '89 LS400-
Utterly over engineered and under-priced to prove a point to the market.
Pro buy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AnimalChin posted:

Summer tires increase fuel consumption?

GutBomb posted:

Better grip gets me to put my right foot down more, thus consuming fuel.

fknlo posted:

I think I've read that and I would assume so over a lower rolling resistance tire. I could be completely wrong though.

So I use Bridgestone RE71R's in the winter. Which tires should I switch to for summer that will have better grip for worse economy? :smug:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

smooth jazz posted:

What Genesis?
Even though it's an entirely different drive, the first gen sedan has always been on my radar. It strikes me as a modern day '89 LS400-
Pro buy.

New 2015 sedan, 3.8 with AWD. It's an amazing package.

Expensive compared to a hot hatch of course.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Well, the ST is a hoot to drive and I haven't had any mechanical issues, but mine turned into a rattle trap after 8 months. It's weird, some days it's tight as a drum, other days it pops, ticks and rattles over every bump. Seems to be unrelated to temperature and humidity.

I'm thinking about getting a refund on my RS deposit and making a move.

Anyways my mid-life crisis is in full swing so for Genesis money I'd cross shop Mustang GT.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 22, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I hear you but I need something that can be a winter DD and fit the kids in the back, which is why the ST is so attractive.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TKIY posted:

New 2015 sedan, 3.8 with AWD. It's an amazing package.

Expensive compared to a hot hatch of course.

Just remember that that's a heavy loving car, too. Like, heavier than an F150 heavy.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

So I use Bridgestone RE71R's in the winter. Which tires should I switch to for summer that will have better grip for worse economy? :smug:

Falken Azenis RT615Ks. They're also a little scary in heavy rain.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Just remember that that's a heavy loving car, too. Like, heavier than an F150 heavy.

Oh yeah, lovely fuel economy too. It's far from perfect but it's a pretty compelling vehicle.

Anyhow, sorry to poo poo up the HH thread with this, it's only tangentially related.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Get some Hoosiers, bro.

Sat in a Fiesta ST at Long Beach this past weekend. It pretty much ruins the backseat once I get comfortable, but my youngest brother still managed to cram into it behind me so it must still count as a five-seater, right? :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

What Genesis?
Pro buy.

I drove the first gen V6 as a rental car down in Florida. It felt legit for a luxury sedan (if a little behind in technology). If the gen 2 feels just as nice on the inside with all the new bells and whistles, it's going on my short list for sure.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I drove the first gen V6 as a rental car down in Florida. It felt legit for a luxury sedan (if a little behind in technology). If the gen 2 feels just as nice on the inside with all the new bells and whistles, it's going on my short list for sure.

Not a word of a lie, during the 4 hours I had the 2015 out for an extended test drive I caught at least three guys pulling alonside to read the sticker, one gave me a thumbs up at a red light, and two guys stopped me to ask questions in parking lots. It's a seriously nice car.

And yet I'm about to put a deposit down on a FoST coming in from factory next month. Refundable if I change my mind but dealer allotments for STs up here is maybe 3 or 4 a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smooth jazz posted:

Well, the ST is a hoot to drive and I haven't had any mechanical issues, but mine turned into a rattle trap after 8 months. It's weird, some days it's tight as a drum, other days it pops, ticks and rattles over every bump. Seems to be unrelated to temperature and humidity.

I'm thinking about getting a refund on my RS deposit and making a move.

Anyways my mid-life crisis is in full swing so for Genesis money I'd cross shop Mustang GT.

I got a crazy rear end squeak coming from the rear. Turns out the styrofoam holding the jack and spare in place was a bit misaligned. Getting all that poo poo put away extremely precisely fixed it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got a crazy rear end squeak coming from the rear. Turns out the styrofoam holding the jack and spare in place was a bit misaligned. Getting all that poo poo put away extremely precisely fixed it.

Very cool.
My big issue is the driver window. It makes "shimmy" sounds when going over certain bumps. The dealer replaced the 2 part upper door trim, but no joy.

I took the door card off 3 times trying to fix it and found if I wedged some felt into the clips that hild the window onto the regulator, that fixes it temporarily.

Still dicking with it.

The shiny plastic bezel of Sony stereo creaks intermittently.

Both rear doors, upper area has a plastic creaking/tic sound over most bumps, also intermittent.

It's rather annoying, as the car is great fun to fun otherwise.

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

unpopular vehicle alert

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm stuck with a front plate, but I really wish they didn't have that stupid flat plastic placeholder for it. It would look so much better without having to put a placard there.

I've seen some aftermarket (maybe custom?) Mesh grilles that look good though, no clue on pricing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
There's been a lot of talk about removing the clutch assistance spring in the FiST and FoST for much better clutch engagement. Apparently the Mustang guys do this too. I gave it a whirl and it feels much smoother but it'll take some getting used to. There's no mechanical downside that causes any damage according to some Ford employees.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

semon demon posted:

unpopular vehicle alert

Love the wheels.

What's with the mega light bar?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Ringo Star Get posted:

There's been a lot of talk about removing the clutch assistance spring in the FiST and FoST for much better clutch engagement. Apparently the Mustang guys do this too. I gave it a whirl and it feels much smoother but it'll take some getting used to. There's no mechanical downside that causes any damage according to some Ford employees.

I would like to know more.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ringo Star Get posted:

I read about this too, but the guy that originally did it said there was a lot of play at the top of the pedal travel so he undid it.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1242-DIY-Clutch-Pedal-Assist-Helper-Spring-Removal

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

I read about this too, but the guy that originally did it said there was a lot of play at the top of the pedal travel so he undid it.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1242-DIY-Clutch-Pedal-Assist-Helper-Spring-Removal

Hmm, this is all the rage right now. I guess I should do a bit more research. I had planned on doing it this weekend

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

howling_mad posted:

Hmm, this is all the rage right now. I guess I should do a bit more research. I had planned on doing it this weekend

The main reason I got the FiST over the MS3 (which I thought was actually more fun to drive and more practical) was that the clutch in the MS3 was so drat heavy and I drive in traffic every day. I wouldn't want to make it heavier.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GutBomb posted:

The main reason I got the FiST over the MS3 (which I thought was actually more fun to drive and more practical) was that the clutch in the MS3 was so drat heavy and I drive in traffic every day. I wouldn't want to make it heavier.

:agreed: but with a Focus ST. I don't see that there's any sort of problem with the clutch engagement anyway, it grabs perfectly fine. If anything it's touchier/faster engagement than my M3 was, no idea why anyone would want to make it more effort, but to each his own I suppose.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
How much is the part? Could always snip a coil or two off of it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GutBomb posted:

There is a bit of play but that's because the original spring held the pedal up all the way. Without it, the pedal itself is heavy enough to have come to a rest about a half inch from its initial start. There's no issue of the clutch being partially engaged since the clutch engagement is pretty heavy, and the pedal is also light.

I've found my shifts are shorter and quicker, but holding the clutch in will need more leg days at the gym (or skipping the left leg workout). I quite like it because it reminds me of my S-10's clutch and I had a blast in it. I honestly wouldn't mind a different type of spring because I found the whole thing to have too much pressure on it on the return, causing a jump sometimes if you're not controlling it carefully. Now its easier to feel the engagement point and overall my shifts have been smoother. But to each their own.

It's a very easy "mod" that you can do in a minute, and same for putting it back. I didn't use any tools.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The salesdude at the Dealer I've been working with on the ST just texted me. They are getting one RS in July and he's offering me a crack at it.

:shepspends:

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

TKIY posted:

The salesdude at the Dealer I've been working with on the ST just texted me. They are getting one RS in July and he's offering me a crack at it.

:shepspends:

offering you a crack at it? Does that mean the price is whoever offers the most cash?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TWSS posted:

offering you a crack at it? Does that mean the price is whoever offers the most cash?

First on the list. $500 deposit, price TBA.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

TKIY posted:

First on the list. $500 deposit, price TBA.

Heh, sounds like where I'm at with the 16 R at my dealer. Spent 500 2 months ago and still don't know when ordering even starts. QQ.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, sounds like where I'm at with the 16 R at my dealer. Spent 500 2 months ago and still don't know when ordering even starts. QQ.

Yeah I'm tempted but all I can get out of him for price at this point is $45k+ (Canadian Canuckbux) so at that price point I dunno. Not sure it's really DD material anyhow.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

TKIY posted:

Not sure it's really DD material anyhow.

The Focus ST has 235/45/18s on 25 pound wheels and when I drove the ST in Ottawa that combo didn't feel like DD material either, but you're from Winnipeg, land of the two seasons (construction and winter), so surely your roads must be in better condition than ours...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TWSS posted:

Winnipeg, land of the two seasons (construction and winter), so surely your roads must be in better condition than ours...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahababbahabahshshahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhaha

*breathe in*

Ahaahahahahahahahaha

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TWSS posted:

The Focus ST has 235/45/18s on 25 pound wheels and when I drove the ST in Ottawa that combo didn't feel like DD material either, but you're from Winnipeg, land of the two seasons (construction and winter), so surely your roads must be in better condition than ours...

Our roads are absolute travesties.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba-s-worst-roads-named-in-caa-campaign-1.2342244

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/04/21/roads-not-racism-is-winnipegs-biggest-problem-poll

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahababbahabahshshahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhaha

*breathe in*

Ahaahahahahahahahaha

^^^ THIS ^^^

I know your problems with the Veloster but I think I'm buying another Hyundai. That Genesis made me feel like a pimp.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

TKIY posted:

^^^ THIS ^^^

I know your problems with the Veloster but I think I'm buying another Hyundai. That Genesis made me feel like a pimp.

Please, just hold out for the RS and pick up a set a 16s to run some fat tires to save your perineum.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

TWSS posted:

Heh, I run 195/60/15 with steels during the winter on the TDI and I just put my 235/35/19s back on Monday, and the difference in steering and comfort is night and day. The things we give up for looks. The 19"s look awesome as hell on my Golf and I'll hear no arguments about it. The current 19s are going to become winter wheels when I get the R as they are already fairly beat up because they did 2 winters before I decided to get proper winter tires (Conti DWS do surprsingly well in the snow when new).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

^^^ THIS ^^^

Eh, I got stuck with a lemon, can't really say my experience is indicative of the brand (at least I hope) only thing I'd suggest is to avoid Murray Hyundai. Really friendly sale staff, but after you purchase you're no one to them. Terrible customer service.

I've heard good things about Birchwood, but they tried to push lovely financing (7% on a new car? Yeah, no.) Which made the bare bones base model we were looking at be within $2k of the fully loaded turbo we ended up with.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TWSS posted:

Please, just hold out for the RS and pick up a set a 16s to run some fat tires to save your perineum.

Doubt they would fit over the calipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Doubt they would fit over the calipers.

Rumors are nothing smaller than 17's or 18's will clear them.