Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm looking at trading in my 09 GTI and picking up a 2012 CPO golf r with 36k miles for 26k. Are the prices on the mk6 R likely to come down much more as the mk7 drops? I've talked the dealer down about 1200 off their first out the door offer since it's the end of the month. Should I pull the trigger or wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Does a catback even do anything for most modern cars any more other than giving you a bit more sound? Isn't most of the restriction at the downpipe/cat?

Also, why are aftermarket exhausts so drat expensive these days. Is stainless steel becoming a rare commodity?

Catbacks do not do much, you're right. And downpipes tend to add power simply because they remove or reduce the size of the cat. They are all absurdly overpriced.

Edit: other than change the sound (catbacks)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

You in the midwest?
I'm in Ohio and trying to sell a set of B8 S4 18x8 wheels if you're interested...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

Better get that front plate on, mister

Actually I drove without a front plate between the ages of 16 and 20 or so and was only ever given a warning about it at a dui checkpoint
Hell naw gently caress the police :feelsgood:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

How does the AWD system in the Golf R work? I had a 2011 STI for a reference point. I had no idea they were sub 40K...
It's clutch-based haldex. FWD until slip is detected, then power is routed to the rear. On the street you will likely not be able to tell the difference between this and a true mechanical AWD system.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Gross. Also classic car salesman line at the end, thank you.
:agesilaus: quattro4lyfe

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

wallaka posted:

Quattro is now merely a marketing term.
This is true but it should have been clear from context I was referring to the original, true, mechanical AWD system. Torsen4lyfe. There, is that better?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Looking good. Are you happy with the body work?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Holy poo poo do you feel like it was worth the 10 month wait?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I've read about and seen a few early clear coat failures on some B6 era red Audis.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Sweet ST. I heard you can get great deals on them right now.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

For those of you with an R, any regrets? Would you still get the R over a GTI?

I'll bring in a slightly different perspective here. My had an auto MK4 GTI (my first car purchase, hadn't learned stick yet), then a MK5 6 speed GTI for a couple years, both of which I loved. Looking to upgrade, I test drove a MK6 R and was THIS close to signing a ~26k note for it, had the paperwork in front of me and I just balked at the last second. It was everything my MK5 was, just more/better. More wheels driven, more power, nicer interior, etc. But they were all incremental improvements from the GTI.

So I kept shopping, test drove a few other things, and ended up getting a screaming deal on a 2007 6 speed Audi S4 sedan. I know it's not a hot hatch (although it is available in wagon form), but I'm really glad I went with this over the R. Instead of an incremental upgrade from the GTI, it feels like double the car. Double the cylinders, more adult, quattro, and my god, the sound. Perhaps I"ll be singing a different tune when big ticket items start to go wrong (looking at you, timing chain tensioners), but for now, I love it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

D C posted:

Mk6 R is completely different then the mk7. Mk7 is lightyears better.

Well you could say the same thing about the MK6 vs MK7 GTI. The point I was making was comparing the GTI to the R, while adding an option the OP might not have considered, which I think is still valid.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Unless you're missing an arm or leg or both, everyone should know how to drive a manual.

Having a manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents around.

But if everyone know how, it wouldn't be a theft deterrent, would it?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

It's called fixing your gently caress up. I'm sorry you can't drive without smashing into poo poo constantly. Stop raising my insurance rates.

FYI I've been driving for 20+ years with 0 at faults and 0 curb rashes. Yes it's possible to not be a moron.

Some people don't give a poo poo, and that's OK.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

For what it's worth, the Passat has an absolutely massive back seat and until 2015 came with a 5 speed 1.8t.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

poo poo's hosed he should just drift it into a landfill.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

wolrah posted:

Correct answer. If you have winter tires or live somewhere that doesn't have winter there's no good reason to use no-season trash in the summer.

The summer tires I've had have all worn WAY faster than any all-season I've encountered. If you're just using them on a daily driver/commuter, what's the point of all that extra expense?

I completely understand the appeal of and use winter tires, however.

Suburban Dad posted:

Not sure yet. I need a 2 kid (rear facing :suicide:) hauler. I swallowed my pride and tested out a used Honda Odyssey yesterday and wasn't crazy about it. It won't fit my bike inside without taking a wheel off so not much better than a sedan or wagon. I might be looking into a Buick TourX since they're cheap and there are leftover 2018s out there on dealer lots they may be looking to move cheap. Have to test out how they fit with car seats still, though.

Check out the Passat, they have a cavernous rear seat for car seats. Up until 2014 you could get them with a manual and the 1.8T. There are even a few SE trims out there with the leatherette. I was set on buying one for my family car until I decided to go full YOLO and get a high mileage 2011 A8L.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

fknlo posted:

If you have winter tires there's zero reason for the compromise of all seasons for the warmer months. Slightly less life is worth better wet performance, grip, braking, etc...

Maybe I'm getting the wrong tires but my summers lasted like half as long as all seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

You sound like a rational person to listen to.

:getin: