Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd test drive a Civic Si before you pull the trigger, if you're open to a non-hatch and manual

I drove an SI, and a sport hatchback. The extra power on the SI really isn't super noticeable (or wasn't, to me). The GTI felt a lot quicker.

I also drove focus & fiesta ST's, and settled on a GTI. Just waiting on the dealership to find one for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Fair enough, it is a trade in terms of power versus feedback

Oh, definitely. And comfort / interior quality. I'm getting rid of my e46 for it, and the GTI feels better interior wise than the e46.

GutBomb posted:

I liked the GTI’s comfort but it felt so sedate to drive compared to the Fiesta ST.

It certainly did. I do about 140 miles round trip daily, and the highway comfort was what won me over - more comfortable + still a lot of fun to drive. If I was looking for a combination commuter + autocross / track car, I'd probably have the focus ST, but I have a miata for that.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

talk me down off this ledge Haunted Hatch thread

or tell me to jump :getin:

This is AI, get your jumping shoes on.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Picking up a 2018 GTI in Dark Iron Blue on Saturday, absolutely can't wait.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

nice color! hope you got an SE or Autobahn

I'm in Canada, so options are base or autobahn. Our base trim has the fancy differential, same display but just no nav, 17" wheels. Autobahn gets the LED headlights, leather interior, push button start, sunroof, etc. Only things I really wanted from the autobahn were the LED lights and keyless start, and up here the autobahn is 5300 more than the base.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It is so, so nice to drive.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Warbird posted:

How are you securing the front plate to the car? I assume there is some kit, but I haven't decided how much I want to put some Bama plates on mine.

I wanted a tow hook mount but they drilled the bumper as soon as the car came off the truck, and finding a 2018 was a bitch and a half as it was so I didn't worry about it. Difference between a 2018 and a 2019 was 0% financing vs 5% financing, so the bumper doesn't bother me.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My stick shift 2018 GTI seems to have a kick down switch. Never seen that on a stick shift before, does it actually do anything?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Googling shows that it's the same pedal assembly between the dsg and stick, so it just depends on what they had on the line that day apparently. Doesn't do anything.

Reports of some stick shift cars having them but not all.

If you're asking what the kick down switch is, it's the little switch at the end of the pedal travel in an automatic that forces it to downshift.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackTie posted:

That's part of the cruise control. If you have it set in speed limiter mode, you can override it with that.

I don't have the driver assist package so I just have regular cruise. Weird that I'd get that one... Must be something like the supplier didn't have any of the non kick down pedal assemblies and supplied these ones for the price of the other one rather than face penalties for late deliveries.

MarsellusWallace posted:

the greatest advice ever given in the automotive field
It really is.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone here with a mk7 GTI - When you change the traction control setting, does the button light up? I can't remember as I don't normally gently caress with it, but have been lately due to snow. The button works, but doesn't seem to say light up orange like changing the mode selector. I need to check if it still lights up white as well...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I managed 44 mpg in my 18 GTI on the highway, cruising at 70mph. Verified at fill up. I don't normally cruise that slow, but was on a work trip to the states and didn't want to get pulled over with Ontario plates.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Taken just after fill up, about 2 hours into a 4 hour drive on i90 east with little enough traffic that I didn't have to disable the cruise until I hit the toll getting off at i81 north. What I calculated based on the fill up was 5.311 L/100km. I'm averaging 6.4 L/100km (36.7mpg) mostly highway driving with minimal traffic at ~81mph, so it's within the realm of possible. Wind was definitely with me too, though it wasn't a stupid windy day.

And I need to fill up my windshield washer fluid too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It bings on startup and occasionally overrides the trip counter with the washer fluid signal, but outside of that and the orange triangle it leaves me alone. Bings a lot when you're right around the switch level because it'll go off and on with changes in incline, but the solution is just spray a bunch of fluid so you're past that point and ignore it some more.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Also, as an owner of an '18 GTI, it will spin both wheels off the line.

I've had it for about a year and a half, I've got 65k kms on it (40k miles approx) and still love it. It does just about everything really well, it's comfortable for long drives (I did a 1200km trip with only bathroom and food stops), gets reasonable fuel economy (though one trip I took last summer for work, driving through northern NY I managed 5.3L/100km or 44.4 mpg - 70mph, cruise set, flat terrain, minimal traffic). I fully intend to keep it for another 10 years, especially now that I'm not driving 55k kms every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I mean, my MK7.5 GTI needed two replacement turbos, each after about 30-40k kms. I sold it when the warranty was up.