Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's so you can be the boss and tell that computer "I want all the power, and right loving now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My sister's 05 Beetle had one so maybe it's just a VW thing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Are there any significant changes between Golf R 2015-2017's? I found a great deal on a 2016, it may be missing adaptive cruise control and the navigation packages, but I don't know if those are worth it...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think carplay and android auto were 16+ only on the GTI, assume the same on the R.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nuts and Gum posted:

Are there any significant changes between Golf R 2015-2017's? I found a great deal on a 2016, it may be missing adaptive cruise control and the navigation packages, but I don't know if those are worth it...

When did the digital dash get added?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Residency Evil posted:

When did the digital dash get added?

It definitely doesn't have that. What do people think of it? I've read it's a little less functional than the audi version, like you can't swap where the map is or something.

BlackTie
Oct 23, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

My stick shift 2018 GTI seems to have a kick down switch. Never seen that on a stick shift before, does it actually do anything?

That's part of the cruise control. If you have it set in speed limiter mode, you can override it with that.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

KillHour posted:

Find the capped off lead and wire a bunch of lights into it so they turn on when you floor it. :rice:

the greatest advice ever given in the automotive field

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackTie posted:

That's part of the cruise control. If you have it set in speed limiter mode, you can override it with that.

I don't have the driver assist package so I just have regular cruise. Weird that I'd get that one... Must be something like the supplier didn't have any of the non kick down pedal assemblies and supplied these ones for the price of the other one rather than face penalties for late deliveries.

MarsellusWallace posted:

the greatest advice ever given in the automotive field
It really is.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody know where to get ahold of a set of the new mk7 GTI Osram LEDs? I can tell they're available but on some sort of limited basis.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
They replaced the driver side door panel on my GTI yesterday under warranty to get the LEDs lit again. No longer an annoyance after about 6 weeks since I noticed it.

But then I got home and my garage door opener gearbox broke and had to be replaced. Always something...

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 8, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nuts and Gum posted:

It definitely doesn't have that. What do people think of it? I've read it's a little less functional than the audi version, like you can't swap where the map is or something.

I think it's cool and good, but on the other hand I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have it either. I don't know if mine does the map, or if it can do the VW map but not a CarPlay map. I'll check next time I drive it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
^^ carplay/android auto is a loving gamechanger if you have to deal with nav or have a big library of music.

The unlimited money - pure stupidity idea for the kickdown switch would have to be wiring it to a crazy rear end stereo setup in the hatch, with a head unit that can only play the initial d soundtrack and seizure inducing underglow.

Ended up driving in below freezing temps for a few hours on the stock fiesta st summer tires, the potenza re050a's. Taking it at a slow normal speed was fine, the grip wasn't all there but I never activated abs or stability control. It instilled a lot of confidence to know that as long as the roads are clear, they'll be fine enough to go point a - point b until I break down and get another set of rims to put winters on.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PT6A posted:

I think it's cool and good, but on the other hand I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have it either. I don't know if mine does the map, or if it can do the VW map but not a CarPlay map. I'll check next time I drive it.

Cool! It sounds like something VW/Audi would do, artificially gimp the semi cheaper car, but maybe it doesn't really matter.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

^^ carplay/android auto is a loving gamechanger if you have to deal with nav or have a big library of music.

I had a Hyundai rental the past few days and I was really impressed. It was my first time getting to use CarPlay, and it only worked when the phone was physically plugged in!! Is that normal? If so that's horseshit.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The programs in carplay/auto run on your phone, hence the need to plug them in

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So does Spotify but it works with the magic of Bluetooth! I guess it makes sense, maps would probably drain the battery, but it was an infuriating surprise when I had just gotten into the rental with my luggage/cables in the back only to find this awesome futuristic tech doesn't' work wirelessly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nuts and Gum posted:

So does Spotify but it works with the magic of Bluetooth! I guess it makes sense, maps would probably drain the battery, but it was an infuriating surprise when I had just gotten into the rental with my luggage/cables in the back only to find this awesome futuristic tech doesn't' work wirelessly.

Well, you can still listen to music through Bluetooth, it just doesn't allow for the full CarPlay interface to be there (including things like Siri being activated by a steering wheel button).

I tried getting CarPlay maps on the primary gauge display and I couldn't get it to work, and the built-in VW nav system just goes in the centre of the display with no option to relocate it. Frankly, I'm not fussed about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I had a Hyundai rental the past few days and I was really impressed. It was my first time getting to use CarPlay, and it only worked when the phone was physically plugged in!! Is that normal? If so that's horseshit.

BMW does wireless Carplay and some aftermarket headunits for old cars do too but yeah most implementations so far require you to plug in.

Wireless Carplay wouldn't make much sense unless you had a wireless charging pad in the car too (I'm used to plugging in my 7 Plus even before Carplay because battery life is poo poo even just streaming music let alone daring to use nav)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Civic has a charging mat option

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nuts and Gum posted:

With Android Auto and CarPlay it's not just the app and the audio running on the phone, but the whole interface. Basically your car's entertainment system becomes a streaming video client. The actual interface is being rendered on the phone, converted to a video stream, and transmitted to the display. The car has no idea what it's displaying, it's just sending touch data and a few bits of telemetry and displaying whatever the phone sends it.

Bluetooth simply does not have the bandwidth for this. Both vendors have wireless solutions that have been demoed but production implementations are rare because it requires the car have more hardware and adds more points of failure in the wireless setup and negotiation process.

Also as noted, unless the car has built in wireless charging there's not really much of a good reason for wireless AA/CP because 95% of the point is to replace the car's inevitably poo poo nav with your own and using nav is one of the most power hungry things the average person does with their phone.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think there's something in there about trying to reduce the amount of time people spend on the phone in their car while on the road. If it's tethered to the dash with a USB, and tucked away like this:

Then people wouldn't be on their phone, especially if you can stomach the awful AA or CP text to speech.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don't suppose you have the .fbx files or whatever for that?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sure, it's on thingverse. They make a bunch of other ones for specific phones and cables you can find.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2992968

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I just plug my phone in and throw it in the center console, its great. I use hands-free controls (siri/google assistant)... I don't want to touch or look at a phone at all when I drive.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Voltage posted:

Civic Si warranty work update: they found nothing wrong with the low boost, but I mentioned my shifter was clicky and it turns out the entire shift assembly was broken so they are replacing that all now. I'm just going to bring it to a tuner with a dyno or something and see what the actual deal is - possibly bad gas?

Any other news since then? Still haven't pulled the trigger on mine, not for another few weeks anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Any other news since then? Still haven't pulled the trigger on mine, not for another few weeks anyway.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm kinda considering picking up an Aegean Blue sedan with no options, I've heard you can get them for $22.5k OTD, but I am not real sure how that holds up for the 2019s.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Must have been bad gas, I burned down the tank and filled up at costco and after 50 miles or so I had full boost again. Shifter was also completely replaced and feels better than new. Still love the car. I want to start modding it so badly but i need to wait until the warranty is up...

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Just a quick follow up, it was the drat water pump on my '16 GTI but they didn't even refer to the extended warranty, simply said it was under the powertrain warranty. The extended I got is from VW and I got the Platinum, with even the lowest bronze tier covering the water pump explicitly, but if you have a pre-2018 GTI and you think it's out of the standard warranty after 36K like I did, you may be surprised.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah that sounds right

36mo/36k miles bumper to bumper
60m/60k mi powertrain
12 years rust

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp the fiesta is making the stupid click click click when you start it up.. did they update the blend door actuator part yet or can i just assume im going to have to replace em periodically?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one I got was almost twice as thick as the original so I assume they changed something. But I just did it and then sold the car so I have no idea long term.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
anyone else get a FoST recall notice? parts aren't in yet of course

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Got mine about a week ago but I'm not taking it in until Cobb releases the ap3 update. I dont want my accessport or tune messed up from it.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah that sounds right

36mo/36k miles bumper to bumper
60m/60k mi powertrain
12 years rust

Oh, good to hear it! They mentioned the suction pump recall for the GTIs but they failed to mention (and it wouldn't have mattered with my timeline from appointment to dropping the car off) but just in case anyone else has a harried, busy service writer: for the suction pump recall you have to be below 1/4 tank of gas or they won't start it.

Edit: also the water pump is now like a $1600 job so I'd have for sure DIYed it if it wasn't covered. The 5th gen Prelude is like half that cost and it's driven by the timing belt!

Edit 2: Christmas week is the worst time to need to go back to the dealership but it is throwing P2006 and then P2015, luckily at least it runs and those are intake-related, I figure if they were serious it would let me know.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 20, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

anyone else get a FoST recall notice? parts aren't in yet of course

I did. Sucks.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Voltage posted:

Must have been bad gas, I burned down the tank and filled up at costco and after 50 miles or so I had full boost again. Shifter was also completely replaced and feels better than new. Still love the car. I want to start modding it so badly but i need to wait until the warranty is up...

With my jeep hopefully selling in the next two weeks, I'll be starting the process of getting an SI, though gotta somehow figure out how to get a blue one in New England. They seem to be hard to come by anywhere though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm looking at this:

https://www.deltoyota.com/used/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf+R-thorndale-pa-ff40f5710a0e0a6b6190c45d1c6bb259.htm

What would a good deal on this be?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That price honestly doesn't look horrible from what I've seen. I'm shopping Mk7 R's as well and have seen several low mileage 2016/17's with similar mileage listed for that much or higher.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
First time I've ever seen a dealer specify the minimum FICO score you need to get the advertised price/rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

As a Mk7 GTI owner, I definitely know the differences, but for mid-30s I would find it hard to choose a Golf R over a Focus RS. I know the RS has had issues with the head gasket(?) recall or whatever, and its definitely more boy-racer, but that's where I'd put my 35 grand.