Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Sonic LT with the 1.4L turbo and the 6 speed manual. Should be able to get one decently cheap. I just want a good DD with good mileage, and I love hatchbacks. It's just a little smaller than I'd prefer but I don't think there's anything I like as much for the price. I still have yet to drive one, though. Anybody out there have any feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

leica posted:

Go drive one and report back, I'd love to hear how it drives. I'm partial to the mazda 2 in that segment but I have a feeling with a turbo the Sonic should be quite a bit more fun.

Maybe this weekend. It seems there are more aftermarket parts coming out for them, which is probably a bad thing if I end up getting one. I need a car that is reliable and I don't have to gently caress with every other weekend...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm finally going to test drive a 13 Sonic turbo 6MT this week. I'm hoping to pick it up in the next few weeks if it's as good as I'm hoping.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not quite "hot" per se, but I really like it.

1.4L turbo, 6 speed manual. :allears: All it needs is some tires that are a little less squirmy, tint, blacked out badges, and maybe some wheels that look a bit better. Too bad the bolt pattern is pretty unique to the Cruze, Sonic, and a few Opels (5x105) so there are few wheel choices. I'm thinking either Enkei RSF5 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/360732286723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) or Niche (?) NR6's since they look like a heavier RPF1 knock off. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/110817792867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649). Thoughts?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wow, that particular set is local, even. I'd keep the stockers for winter driving and buy this other set for summer tires. The thing that sucks is the TPMS are $200, just so I can make the stupid dash light go away. :argh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Honestly, I think a really obnoxious blue would be awesome. Pink and green are all over the drat place. Maybe a nice loud fuckin' red.

Orange. Blaze Orange.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Well I made the trade. Last night I traded my 2013 Grand Cherokee for a 2014 Fiesta ST. I test drove the Fiesta and the Focus and I just liked the Fiesta better. The Focus had massive wheel spin, hop, and torque steer in first and second gears. Third gear is where things started to get exciting, but by then I was going 70mph and had to let off. While the Focus is faster and roomier, the Fiesta just has a "gotta have it" factor that's hard to explain. The clutch feels better, the steering is extremely precise, somehow the transmission feels tighter and easier to operate, and the car bounces between lanes with no effort at all. And Richard Hammond said it best that the car just pulls and pulls. It's so much fun.

I think there's a job opening at Car and Driver for a comparison tester. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Cross posting from my project thread:

So, in the interest of getting a reliable daily driver, I had a few options. Was looking at the local auctions for something nice to go through and there were some deals I missed but there's always the chance of hidden damage and unexpected costs so I'm not too bummed about it. There was an 04 Mazda 3 w/ 130k km the other week with hail damage, looked really nice but people went nuts for it and it went for over $4500 before tax, for a 10 year old hail damaged car. Locally I've seen a few on Kijiji asking between 3k-5k for similar ones.

Started thinking of financing something newer than 2010 so I looked at a few used dealers but didn't find anything too great for the prices. Mazda 3's seemed to be the go-to as I was checking out 2 2010 ones but after financing they were north of $16k. That's within spitting distance of some cheaper new cars, and you get a warranty with anything new, so me and my fiance started looking at new. We settled on the Veloster as the compromise between sporty, practical, quirky, and affordable. After getting jerked around at one dealer where the sticker price of $19k balooned to over $27.8k for a grey automatic base(colour and trans we weren't too excited about but we were ok with), we went to a competing dealer and ended up with a blue 6mt fully loaded turbo for just under $27k w/ 0% financing. OTD price ended up around $31k (The pricing you US guys get just south of the border is unfair :cry:)

How you go from looking at 3-5k cars to 31k is incredible.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Then thank goodness for CARB, yet another regulatory system that only has to exist because Americans are idiot children.

Yeah, it's really terrible just how staggering emissions have been reduced in the past 40 years due to CARB and the EPA. :rolleyes:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

whitey delenda est posted:

I personally find having to reposition my (power) seat so irritating I'd just rather stall out on the interstate and plow into a barrier. :rolleyes:

why would you not get a recall service performed? even if they gently caress something up you go right back and say "I'm under warranty you're going to lick my dick until you get it right."

This x1000. Get it done and if they screw something up, deal with it then. It's a much better side effect than the possibility of crashing b/c of the recall.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ltugo posted:

You might also want to consider a 2012 Chevy Sonic, although finding one with the 1.4L turbo at that price will be impossible.

You can get a used 1.4L turbo for 10-12k. I've got a '13 and see them come up on the forum (sonicownersforum.com which is terrible btw) and they don't exactly sell quickly.

My poor resale value. :sadwave:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Has anyone tuned a cruze? the 1.4l turbo? I saw a chip that upped it to 170hp.

http://www.vtunerperformance.com/?p=54

I came from a manual turbo foreester so this isn't really going to cut it at stock.

I have a 1.4L Sonic (same engine) but untuned. I've driven a tuned Sonic and it's quite a bit more power than stock. Most people go through a different company (Bad News Racing) and do the Trifecta tune, however I'd recommend just getting HPTuners and taking it to a local dyno. You can definitely do it cheaper with an OTS style tune (BNR, Vtuner) and probably get 90% of the results, though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 6, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

There's a rumor going around that it's pretty much maxed out from the factory. Someone on Jalopnik was saying that some of the drivetrain components probably won't handle any more power if you were to decide to tune one.

Where's this coming from? The car isn't even out yet and that sounds like pure speculation. The car has a freaking drift mode, it can take some abuse. And it's designed to last for 150k miles or so.

Plus, reading the comments on Jalopnik makes you (not you specifically) dumb. Those people, man.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

I changed the oil in my FiST at 9k thinking it was earlier than the manual says, but the Ford tech I talked to said it's 10k for the regular Fiesta and 7,500 for the ST. They just never changed the manual to reflect the turbo engine. So actually I was 1,500 miles overdue for my oil change. I drive my cars hard and spend a lot of time in LA traffic, so I'll be doing it every 7.5k from now on just in case.

I'd go out on a limb and say he's full of poo poo. They'd have to recall the car or send you a new manual if it were incorrect like that. What's the online manual say for MY15/16?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Go look it up on tirerack and look up winter packages. Choose the smallest diameter that fits, in the size they recommend. Even the cheapest winter tire is better than the best all season, so I go cheap and have yet to have problems in Michigan. Obviously this is general advice but it hasn't failed me yet.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Eh, if it's under built then Ford will just eat poo poo when it comes to warranty which is not in their best interest obviously. I wouldn't believe it until shitheads on the internet have broken parts in hand.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Quality: Fit and finish is abysmal but expected for the sporty version of Ford's cheapest car. There are gaps in excess of 1mm between cloth and plastic trim parts in places, light peeks through the sunroof shade, and the silver plastic on the steering wheel is just a tiny bit too reflective to make driving at an angle to the rising sun comfortable. Several of the body panels don't line up correctly, for example the back bumper and rear fender have a 1.5mm height difference where they meet. Even the carpet feels noticeably cheap.

:lol: If you notice this poo poo then you're :spergin: a bit too hard. I'm no Ford fan but your expectations seem a bit lofty for most any car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sigma X posted:

You a Ford apologist, or only owned super-cheap cars?

Nope on both counts.

Larrymer posted:

:lol: If you notice this poo poo then you're :spergin: a bit too hard. I'm no Ford fan but your expectations seem a bit lofty for most any car.

Looking at your pics, only the bumper being that far off is something I'd notice. I was more laughing at you noticing "1mm" gaps which sounds anal as hell (though they're much larger than you described).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Emissions requirement, actually.

Have an explanation for that or is this forum/"tuner" speculation? I'm curious how using more fuel at a higher RPM emits less than cutting fuel entirely to let RPM drop. Unless they suck at turning fuel back on and it spikes lean or something during the transition.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

They aren't turbocharged from the factory, so I'm guessing not. :confused: Why do you ask?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

...it's still a turbo car that takes well to a tune. But it definitely isn't designed to be a hot hatch. I have a manual and I hate the transmission, but besides that it's fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Bummer.

...it's still a turbo car that takes well to a tune. But it definitely isn't designed to be a hot hatch. I have a manual and I hate the transmission, but besides that it's fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Never understood the turning radius thing. Tons of cars have a lovely turning radius (Evo comes to mind) but still can handle amazingly well. If you have to 4 point turn coming out of your driveway, ok, I could see that. But nothing is that bad.

Also, don't buy a Veloster. See: Bajaha's thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I have a bulging L5 S1 disc and I loathed the recaros. The acute angle of the seat back to the butt cushion is not something I could handle long-term, which is a shame as they seem very high quality. I could also see the making peoples legs numb as they apply additional pressure on the back of your legs where the seat cushion ends because of that angle.

This is a little weird, I felt the same way driving my friend's ST. I hated the angle of the seat bottom and that it wasn't adjustable. I definitely couldn't live with them.

I also have a lovely back with L5/S1 fuckery (previous herniated disc, one surgery for it and it still stucks so I'll probably revisit that...) and am in the Detroit area. :confused::hf::confused:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

They said that almost verbatim.

Who? I feel like there was one random dude who mentioned it in a forum post and everybody is taking it as gospel. Cars aren't even in people's loving hands yet. If a guy worked at Ford and said that pre release, then he's either incredibly dumb and doesn't value his job, or fake posting poo poo.

Edit: guess the Jalop article says something similar. Well, that sucks. I'm old enough at this point that I probably wouldn't mod a car like that anyway. Also old enough to not buy a 36k focus. :)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Exactly how much of a "Focus" do you think is still in there?

Nobody bats an eye at spending 36k+ for these piles:

I wouldn't pay 36k for one or those, either. For that money I'd get a V8 RWD pony car if I wanted power or something else instead like a 3 series type luxury car (ATS or CTS or something similiar). Different strokes.

It's a cool car and I'm glad it's making it here for sure, but it just isn't for me. If those things are what you value in a car then it may be a bargain for 36k for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth the same to me.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 26, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can't buy a "3 series type luxury car" for $36k unless you want a 320i.

The ATS I mentioned in my post is under that. 2.0T right around 36k. Regardless, my point was that it wasn't worth it to me... which is a bit weird considering the only new cars I've ever bought were turbo hatchbacks with 6 speed manuals.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Carbon buildup on the backs of the intake valves are going to be a problem in any DI car. There is no raw fuel flowing over them so they don't get cleaned.

Yup, exactly what I was going to say. Good argument for water injection!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

This is the reason Europe has multiport injection. Shame the EPA won't let them use it here.

What? :confused: Cars like the BRZ have DI and PFI injectors if that's what you mean. I don't think the EPA is stopping anybody from doing that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

What he means to say is that VW is too cheap to bring it over here.

It's pretty funny that somebody is that big of a fan of VW to say :bahgawd: "EPA won't let 'em do it! " even after all the poo poo they did with the diesels and how obviously not true it is that you can't have both (PFI and DI) injectors on one engine in the US. The diagnostics on it would be such a pain in the rear end which is probably why they don't have it here, but it can be done.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

The veloster forum is hung up on catch cans, usually put two on. When they show watch they catch though it is likst 90% fuel then a mixture of condensation and oil. I would like an opinion on this. It seems it doesn't help with carbon build but they just ramble about lspi too...

It's not a terrible idea, IMO. It can't hurt in SPI reduction but the real cause (that I know of so far) has a lot to do with engine oil, so try changing that up to something else/better. I like the idea of catch cans but don't really care for the added maintenance of emptying it and monitoring the level of it. AOS's where they dump back into the sump on their own seems the best method to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Does even one single production car from any manufacturer come from the factory with an oil catch can? With how long they've been around if they actually did something worthwhile the manufacturers would have included it in their designs long ago.

You forget that automakers can't just make things however they want just because there's a benefit. There's cost, emissions regulations, and probably a billion other layers of red tape in the way of getting something approved. With more turbo DI engines being more mainstream, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was done from an OEM or some other form of mitigation vs. SPI, knock, and that junk pooling up in intercoolers/charge piping.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

No more fun than a WRX. I had the rare 2.5L version and sold it after less than a year. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

They're pretty understeery which I didn't like, even with a bigger rear sway on it. It didn't feel great on Michigan roads either even with new struts. I did put on lowering springs which admittedly made it worse but it still wasn't a comfortable ride. I was too bothered by the 5 speeds ability to hold torque to mod it past just a downpipe and a tune. Neither seemed to really make that big of a difference to me with an open source flash.

Now I have a V70 which is even less fun :smith:, but has more space, is more comfortable and gets about the same mileage. I'm old.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I found the STs to have a super vague clutch feel compared to other cars. I'm sure you adjust to it eventually but it was disconcerting. I couldn't rev match on downshifts at all. Sorry person who eventually buys the cars I test drove :v:

I had the same feeling, hated that loving clutch (DMF?).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Besides burning a shitload of oil, those are decent econo cars for the time. It was my first manual and it took quite a beating while getting 30-36mpg. They're pretty light since all the plastic, too. :v:

It was faster than my high school friends cars at the time, such as a V6 camaro, a Fiero, and an NA Eagle Talon. :smug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

What budget built turbo cars are running all aluminum blocks from the factory...?

I mean, there are people making over 500whp on these things without opening the motor.

The new Cruze engine is all aluminum. It's half the cost of a golf R. Not a performance car or hot hatch, however.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

1.4 turbo is iron block

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/luv/#tab-2

Edit: looks like 2016+ is aluminum block.

Yep, that's why I said new Cruze. Can't even say 2016 because the old and new Cruze one are both being sold side by side as 2016's (2016 Cruze limited = old, 2016 Cruze = new). :wtc:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sigma X posted:

It disables the ABS and airbag systems, as well. And it's not something you can just flip a switch and turn on and off.

This post of mine will contain a lot of assumptions. If you pull the ABS fuse, I would think it would disable the brake-diff, ABS, traction control, and anything else that uses the wheel speed as input. I don't think there's any way in hell it would disable the air bags because Ford would get the poo poo sued out of them if you lost a wheel speed sensor and your airbags didn't go off in a crash. Especially after all the ignition switch recall stuff happened.

I'm not on the enthusiast forums for this car but has anybody tried it and it really didn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

oxbrain posted:

If you pull the abs fuse you keep airbags, but flatspot your rear tires when trail braking.

I'm trying to understand why this would be, guess if it reads good wheel speed sensor values then the torque vectoring still somewhat works. I would just unplug all of the wheel speed sensors then. :) It sounds like what you're saying is effectively disconnect the BCM which I could see loving up the airbags and such.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 15, 2016