Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

bobfather posted:

Then you'll do what you do, and I'll do what I do.

By the way, according to Ford the Focus ST makes 244 HP on 87, and 252 on 93. Not quite the significant difference you'd expect.

8-10 HP is nothing to sneeze at, especially if all it takes is a few extra bucks. Normally you'd have to spend several hundred dollars on an exhaust or something else to see a similar gain. (e: I guess it's not a big deal anymore when you can just hit a couple buttons in a scan-tool to get the same result. Kids these days...)

The first few times I filled up my 850 Turbo I bitched and moaned about buying premium, but after a while you don't even notice those extra cents, especially with how much the price fluctuates anyways these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
So mad that we don't get that in the US. That may be my most favorite new hot-hatch yet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It took an embarrassing amount of time for me to realize that the Veloster is...whatever it is, and is not sold as both a 3 and 5 door hatch, as I hoped.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Pulling Teeth posted:

Shame - it's meant to be a fine car by the reviews I've read.

One other question for Americans: how does the import system work over there, especially for Japanese cars? Is grey importing a common thing?

Super simplified version: If the vehicle wasn't already sold in the US it is very hard to get a grey import into the country usually, unless you get lucky with your local DMV and nobody ever tells the Feds. The exception is that once a vehicle is 25 years old or more it can be imported no questions asked. For example this year 1989 Nissan Skylines became eligible for import, when previously Skylines were so verboten here that they were crushed on sight.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

howling_mad posted:

I don't know, having a bunch of underpaid mechanics screw with my cars central nervous system for no specific reason sounds risky.

lolol having the people that are trained to do the proper repairs on my car (for free!) is too scary, I think I'll just drive around until the problem causes an accident and solves the issue for me :v:

good plan

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

howling_mad posted:

worst of all moving my drat seat.

ahahaha get the gently caress out

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's a VW, not a Bentley. Lighten up a little.

Well he did say it was just a minor annoyance. I dunno, considering every other loving manufacturer on the planet has managed to figure out how to make parking wipers that don't hit the hood when you try to change them, he's got a legitimate complaint. How's that VAG cock taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PabloBOOM posted:

I'm chasing a gremlin in my 09 GTI. Car pulls gently right under mildly moderate acceleration and then when you let up (or sometimes at the DSG gear change) it jerks back to the left. It's like awful torque steer with a kick back. Originally diagnosed by a shop as motor mounts. They were bad, but now all 3 are replaced and... car is still swerving.

This all started after a shop fixed my gti after the driver's front fender and wheel were nailed by a suburban. They replaced control arm and related bits. I'm going to make them fix it... But they seem unable to figure out what it is, so I'm taking it to the local German tuners this week. In themeantime... Any clues? This is getting out of hand and all I'm left with guessing is bad tie rods...?

Check the bolts that attach your control arm to the subframe. I had a similar issue on my C70 where under braking the car would pull to the left slightly, but only if you were holding onto the wheel. Braking with hands off the wheel just made the (slightly off-center) wheel straighten out and the car would continue straight as an arrow. Turned out 2 of the bolts on the LCA had worked themselves loose over a couple of months. I tightened them up and the crooked wheel/braking pull disappeared.