Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey anyone here have any experience with throwing a stiffer RMM into the Focus ST? Would be interested to hear how things went. I have the eFocus mount in there from the factory for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, kinda looking for that sweet spot between "stiffer than eFocus mount" and "JBR 88 Durometer mount".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, hopefully arresting the engine movement will help out with the wheel hop on starts a little. I think in the video you're seeing the mount they had in the original '13s which was from the stock Focus and waaaayyyy too soft. Since '14 (around the middle of the production?) They've been putting in the stiffer mount from the electric Focus which is more around what they should have put into the car in the first place. I have the eFocus mount but still would like a little less movement and can deal with some low RPM vibes. Mountune looking like the best option right about now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
People say it can make the shifts feel more direct, but not the major reason people typically put one in the FoST.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kinda thought about taking it out when I got the car but quickly got used to the way it feels so I decided not to bother. Still want to put an accelerator pedal spacer in, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maaay be able to snag one on ebay or from someone on focusst.org or something...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IKillForPie posted:

Just wondering if anyone can give me a hand/insight into some used winter tires I was looking at purchasing online. I have a 2014 FoST and I just want to check/confirm that these tires would fit on the car? (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/calgary/studded-winter-tires-on-rims-215-55r16-97t/1187393469?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions for affordable (<$1000) winter tire and rim packages for the FoST I'm all ears. I live in Calgary, Alberta, so ideally I'm looking for something a little more of a wet/ice rating for DDing the car around the city. We definitely get more snow in the mountains, but still lots of frozen moisture in town.

Ah hey I just went through this- check the spare in your trunk. If it's 17" instead of 16" then you have the new bigger front brakes they started putting on the FoSTs midway through the 2014 production and you should not buy a rim under 17".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think 18" wheels are stock on the FoST- it's just that when yours was made governs the smallest size of wheel it will accept due to the bigger front calipers they introduced mid-2014 production year.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm sitting up in northern Illinois here (like basically in Wisconsin) and I'm not sure whether to get more "performance" oriented winter tires or if it doesn't make a difference. Either way need some since the car came with summer tires- not like I would want it any other way, though...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Installed my mountune quick shifter plate. Works great, total horseshit install. Awful.

On the FoST I purposely went with the FSWERKS plate so I didn't have to take the shift weight off- there's a major PITA roll pin holding the thing on. Plate as installed does a 30% reduction in throw and feels great.

Assume process is a bit different on the FiST.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yessss finally my Mountune RMM is here! Hopefully I can throw it into the FoST over the weekend.

Installation videos make it look pretty easy- any weird stuff I should watch out for?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The video is great; all the other Focuses..Focusii... Focii... pull around really gently and slowly and park and then this guy just flies around the corner and bounces off of the cliff wall. Great comedic timing.

But ouch, that poor, poor RS...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
the FoST is a total pain in the rear end to get on jackstands, holy poo poo. There's probably a good place on the subframe in the center of the car but drat if my jack could get in there with how low the car is... jacking up each side and then placing the jackstands one at a time feels kinda unsafe.

Anyways got the car up on the stands and I got the exhaust support bracket that sits over the rear motor mount arm itself halfway detached but then couldn't get one of the nuts off of the back of the drat thing due to my box wrench being kinda... not long enough. I could get it to set on the nut but I couldn't actually get my hand in there in such a way that I could turn the drat thing with any kind of force. Sooo everything went back together, the car came down and I guess I need to expand my tool collection beyond "borderline cheap toy kit". Ugh.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I drive mine up onto a couple of 2 x 10's that I have bolted together into a mini-ramp to raise the car about 4" so that I can get the jack under it and make it easier to put on jackstands, but still end up doing one side at a time. If I need to get it really high for some reason, I'll do it in a couple of steps, alternating sides to raise it. If I don't need to get the front wheels off (like for an oil-change) then I just use ramps.

Hey so where do you place the stands/jack under the car? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure how to describe it to be honest. I put them just behind the front tires on a beam-end (where it connects to the uni-body or something) that seems to be quite solid. I'll try to remember next weekend to take a picture, since I'll be changing the oil then.

Yeah I put them on the frame basically right behind the factory-approved pinch weld jack points. Like between the pinch weld and that crossmember. Would appreciate pics though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I'm probably using terrible spots, but as promised.. pictures!

First, I drive the car up onto my home-made mini-ramp things to get clearance for the jack.

I then use the point with the red arrow as a jacking point, and lower onto the jackstands as pictured.

If there's a better location, I'd be happy to know about it also!

I actually used the same jacking point (with mini ramps like yours I could actually get the larger jack under the car to hit it; good idea).

The jack stands are almost in the same spot- like rotate them 90 degrees and move them just off of that black crossmember towards the pinch weld rail (but still like right next to the end of the crossmember).

I'm also making some cribbing blocks out of 2x4s so I can just jack from the pinch weld with an adapter I made out of a hockey puck and set the wheels on the blocks.

Still wish there was a way to get the whole front end up a once but whattya gonna do.

Also hey we have the same color ST- I need to paint my calipers; looks nice.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the chance to install the new rear motor mount in my FoST- lots of seized bolts courtesy of Midwestern salty winter roads and the rear nut and bolt inbetween the dogbone thingy that holds the RMM to the engine and the RMM itself is total pain in the rear end to access. Would have been easier if I had ratcheting box wrenches.

I chose the Mountune RMM; heard it had a significantly stiffer bushing than stock but not like tooth-rattlingly so.

Pretty easy to notice the difference right away as I actually had the original garbo mount and not the electric Focus mount they started putting in later on in the '14 production.

look at this piece of poo poo that was cursing my engine; you can move the center piece there around with one finger- shameful

Anyways the Mountune RMM gives you a little bit of this bassy rumble at low RPMs (especially with the AC on) but it's nowhere near annoying for me. I might think again if I was creeping through stop-and-go city traffic on a daily basis but it's really not that bad. Increases in vibration at higher RPMs are there, but are so subtle I probably won't really even notice it in a few days.

Reductions in torque steer and wheel hop are the primary reason I installed this thing and that definitely happened but it also feels like the gear engagement when shifting is a little more direct as well.

The Mountune was definitely what I was looking for in terms of balancing NVH increases with performance enhancement. A RMM should probably be one of the first things you do for your FoST, especially if you have the crappy original mount.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hmm can't exactly say- it's definitely gonna be stiffer going by the fact that you don't get any vibes off of the eFocus mount. Depends what you're going for I guess- there are definitely stiffer mounts than the Mountune one out there for the ST but if you want minimal NVH increases then it's a good choice.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I've been slowly making my way through this thread and I've been left feeling inadequate and poor, but I'd like to show off my car anyhow. I think it qualifies as a Hot Hatch.

I bought this back in December 2015 for an absolute steal $1300 after tax. Salvage title, but the only damage was a broken radiator bracket and a broken exhaust weld. The bracket was a 15 minute fix once I figured out how to do it. Didn't know how to drive a manual at the time, so I ended up learning as I took it for the OHSP inspection. The Focus SVT was the number one car I lusted for as a 13 year old way back when I first saw it in an issue of Sport Compact Car while my older friends were driving riced out ZX2s and ZX3s. It's so fun to drive and as far as I know, I have the only one in my (small) town.

Ah nice! That is a super great deal- how many miles does it have on it? Any big maintenance work you need to do (timing belt, clutch pad, gaskets anywhere)? Any other plans for it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to put a catback on my FoST, but I also like the weird-looking stock hex exhaust tip on there right now...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christobevii3 posted:

Get a muffler shop to cut and reweld the tips back on?

Hadn't considered that- have to keep that one in my back pocket. Cleaned all the exhaust soot off of the tips today and they're lookin' good again.

Now to clean the brake dust off the rims... again. I'm plasti-dipping these drat things a darker gray when I take them off for the winter...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

Would plasti-dip be any better in regards to brake dust cleanup? Obviously if you go with a darker color you'll see it less, but how does that translate when it comes to cleaning it off?

I don't think so. Yeah it would be strictly for allowing me to be lazier about brake dust cleanup.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
General consensus is that the GTI interior is nicer and from pictures I'd tend to agree. Not like the FoST's is bad or anything but other than the Recaro seats, some different gauge cluster colors, a nicer wheel, and some additional gauges up on the dash (boost, oil temp and pressure) it's the interior from the regular Focus, an economy car.

I personally have not noticed any weird squeaks in a 2014 ST2 with 25,000 miles on it.

Interior quality wasn't that high on my list of priorities but coming from a base '07 Mitsubishi Eclipse I was dazzled by the wonderment of a modern not-totally-cheap-garbo interior so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is the Mini still doing that weird "giant speedometer in the middle console" design?

Otherwise I think they're pretty nice if you can deal with that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey update on the Mountune RMM I threw into the FoST a while ago- it seems like it's kinda broken in and I now have trouble detecting any vibrations at all but at the lowest RPMs with the AC compressor running. Like I basically have to try to really induce any vibrations and I don't see them in normal driving. Either that or it's subtle enough that I've gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore.

I came from the original horribly unsuitable stock Focus mount so this was a big change for me but it's still decently stiffer than the eFocus mount Ford started throwing into later model year '14 Focus STs and beyond.

Anyways if you want an RMM stiffness upgrade that comes with an incredibly minimal/maybe eventually not even noticeable increase in NVH I think this is your mount.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble imagining the kind of person who would have that kind of money to throw away on such a ridiculous markup and also want the Focus RS instead of something more upscale

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Some guy with enough disposable income that is tired of buying M3's?

I'm guessing most that moved with that kind of markup went straight to climate controlled storage for resale in 20+ years.

I guess as long as one can find the RS at MSRP it doesn't really matter but this thought still kind of makes me sad

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean when it comes down to it I guess it's still just a tarted-up economy car (albeit built on top of an excellent track machine) with the engine... from the Ecoboost Mustang right? Have a feeling there's a lot of cost created by limited production runs and the fact that it's "special". Wooo look at that body kit.

Very interested to see what the used market on them looks like in 3 years... how much will a 3 year-old RS with 40k on the odometer run you?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally had to take the summer tires off of the FoST last week (constant 60 degree F highs in November are not normal)- different car so I really can't tell exactly how much the car itself is influencing this but the Sottozero 3 XLs on actual alloy rims are just a world away from the Firestone Winterforce tires on steelies I had on my last car on dry pavement. Good tires are worth every penny.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jeez, hope the FoST I bought 8 months ago doesn't crater out too bad.

Got a '14 ST2 package sitting at 19k miles for 20k after taxes and title stuff from a dealer up in Detroit

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 15, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Gotcha.

Any FiST FoST owners in here running with a pedal spacer thing? I put one in mine and wound up taking it out and using a pedal cover that sits closer to the brake instead. Everything feels perfect now, whereas the spacer actually didn't really help any with heel toeing and mostly made it feel a different kind of wrong.

Yeah I put one in that brings it about to the same elevation as the brake pedal- I've been sorta just putting the left side of the ball of my foot on the brake and using the right side to hit the gas. Feel like heel-toeing is easier for me with cars where the gas pedal has a hinge on the floor rather than a pedal that drops down from the top of the footwell like the FoST.

Extended pedal cover might make it easier for me

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 16, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The stock position might be good for track driving (I have no idea) but for daily blippin' it's way too recessed. Is the stock position supposed to be more ergonomic for non-heel-toe driving or something?

I found lifting off of the gas to hit the brake slower and less comfortable with the pedal all the way back in the footwell like that.

So yeah fix that and if you have a '13 or an earlier production '14 FoST replace that drat lovely rear motor mount one way or another (install an aftermarket one yourself or contact a dealer and have them pull the TSB; one the dealer will install is the RMM from the electric Focus which you can get your hands on for like 60 if you just want to do it yourself).

Then I feel like the car is set up as it should have been in the first place- I also threw in a short shift plate almost immediately but that's a personal preference thing. Don't know exactly what my plans are in the future (I'm a little hesitant to start loving around with ECU cals on my daily driver that I expect to last for years) but those first two things I would recommend to almost anyone driving the FoST.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going to find some way to bypass/lock open the butterfly valve that controls the sound symposer thingy in my FoST and will report back here about how badass/annoying it is. Conveniently the valve/solenoid case is right next to the battery so it's easy to get to and mess around with.

Goal is to have the Active Sound Symposer (A.S.S.) active all the time and not just during high RPMs/whenever the ECU decides to open it- easy to reverse if I hate it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Uhhhh so OK Sound Symposer open all the time on the FoST was cute for a bit but ultimately sounds hosed-up and weird.

Think I need an open-end air filter or a catback or something

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

Correct. He got a ticket, I didn't. I'm getting a reduced rental rate through my insurance company, his should cover it. Pretty sure I'm on my own if it's not totaled and I have to come back out to get it. Which means it won't be totaled. My rental is a Dodge dart. Kill me now.

talk about twisting the knife

Hope things work out better than they seem right now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I keep going back and forth on ECU modding before my drivetrain warranty is up and it doesn't make sense for me. Ford-Approved stuff might be alright; have to check on cost.

I think the next thing I'm doing is putting a catback system on regardless- FoST is waaaay to quiet

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Mountune's MP275 is basically the warranty-safe version of their B2 package. Same hardware, more conservative tune and a locked down AccessPort that won't accept custom tunes.

B2 is $1299 where MP275 is $1999, so you're paying $700 plus installation (must be installed by an ASE certified technician to be legit for the warranty, no DIY) to retain half of your powertrain warranty. The FRPP/Mountune supplementary warranty only goes to 3 years/36k miles where the stock powertrain warranty is 6 years/60k miles.

Given the ringland thing with the FoSTs the warranty might be nice to have, but that depends on how many miles you've put on it.

Ahhhhh was not aware of the half-warranty thing. Welp already past that so it's a useless option for me anyways. '14 model year with 30k on the odometer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, not a lawyer and I can see how it could be interpreted either way, but I think its generally good advice to interpret warranties pessimistically because the entire thing is basically legalese to be used against you in the event of an expensive problem.

Yeah, just gotta kind of assume you're gonna get screwed on that one.

On the other hand looking at the Blown Motor thread on another site for FoSTs a lot of people wind up getting their exploded motor warrantied out even after they've modded the car and tuned the ECU by returning the parts to stock and flashing the ECU back to stock as well. However if they want to dig enough they can tell if you've ever messed around with the ECU and deny your claim. Luck of the draw.

So basically I feel like you should be ready to pay for a new motor even if you're under warranty if you so much as touch the ECU.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fyodor posted:

lol 450+ whp on fwd. If owning a fwd hot hatch has taught me anything it's that my tires are constantly telling me "I don't like doing this but I will do it. I am doing this under protest!"

Feels like the FoST stock makes about as much power as is practical for a FWD platform. More would be fun but probably not make any drat sense

Replaced the horrible stock rear motor mount and that helped the torque steer/wheel hop

The stock Goodyears were also a little close to the wear bar when I got it and I still haven't replaced them though so maybe that'll help too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The GTI is probably going to be a nice place to sit whoever ya are but I would go drive a Fiesta ST to see how you personally feel about driving something that small. If you really don't have an issue with it and aren't a highway warrior I would go with the Fiesta.

But yeah if you buy it new the FiST is probably gonna lose more value than a GTI so that's another thing to consider