Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

veedubfreak posted:

Oh please say you were texting.

Like I have anyone to text. Was more concerned about merging onto a highway that was usually two lane, but taken down to one. I was looking out my mirror and got to close on passenger side.

Should have been paying closer attention. Such is life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yessss finally my Mountune RMM is here! Hopefully I can throw it into the FoST over the weekend.

Installation videos make it look pretty easy- any weird stuff I should watch out for?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahhh yessss finally my Mountune RMM is here! Hopefully I can throw it into the FoST over the weekend.

I'd love to hear your thoughts after you drive on it a bit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hahahah, DRIFT MODE.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-ford-focus-rs-driver-drift-mode-his-car-into-1786210325

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Has that guy commented on it yet?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The video is great; all the other Focuses..Focusii... Focii... pull around really gently and slowly and park and then this guy just flies around the corner and bounces off of the cliff wall. Great comedic timing.

But ouch, that poor, poor RS...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone here have a Renaultsport Clio 200 or 197? My wife used to have a 182 cup that she misses and I'm thinking of getting rid of my E46 TI for one.

Worried that it's going to be pretty inert, boring and understeery by comparison to the BMW, although I thought I might be able to sort that with a Cup chassis option and a big-rear end K-TEC rear bar set to maximum stiff.

I found the Clio 182 had just too much grip on the stock Pilot Sports - if you threw it at a roundabout it pretty much just gripped, with a little power-underseer on the exit. Not really as much fun as the reviews led me to believe. I'd like something that will basically walk the back end as soon as you back off the throttle, Focus RS, 205 GTI or 306 Rallye style. The -ti will oversteer on throttle or lift-off with no problem.

My other alternative is a 116i or 118i F20 with a proper remap, which supposedly can give you 200-230 at the crank. That's the sensible alternative, but I do like the likes of the Clio. And the price!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Just curious, how is insurance on the ST models?

I pay right at $100/mo for insurance for the Focus ST (2014). My commute is huge, so I'm not able to use a low mileage thing, and I carry 250k/500k limits with full glass, and rental coverage. Insurance here in the Phoenix area seems to run high in general, my base model Fiesta was almost $70/mo with similar coverage. That's also with multi-policy discount since I have homeowners with them, but not multi-car since I'm actually down to one car!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Why do you carry so much coverage? I'm paying $75 for full coverage, $500 deductible, $50/100k, and $1000 per a person medical on my veloster turbo in south Louisiana (high cost area). For reference my 350z when i have it insured is nearly double that.

Also, got a cheap dyno done on my veloster turbo before I tune it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Locator posted:

I pay right at $100/mo for insurance for the Focus ST (2014). My commute is huge, so I'm not able to use a low mileage thing, and I carry 250k/500k limits with full glass, and rental coverage. Insurance here in the Phoenix area seems to run high in general, my base model Fiesta was almost $70/mo with similar coverage. That's also with multi-policy discount since I have homeowners with them, but not multi-car since I'm actually down to one car!

I'm paying $120/mo in a 2016 GTI for the same coverage in the same city. Multi policy, full coverage on an 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 is $45/mo additional.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
the FoST is a total pain in the rear end to get on jackstands, holy poo poo. There's probably a good place on the subframe in the center of the car but drat if my jack could get in there with how low the car is... jacking up each side and then placing the jackstands one at a time feels kinda unsafe.

Anyways got the car up on the stands and I got the exhaust support bracket that sits over the rear motor mount arm itself halfway detached but then couldn't get one of the nuts off of the back of the drat thing due to my box wrench being kinda... not long enough. I could get it to set on the nut but I couldn't actually get my hand in there in such a way that I could turn the drat thing with any kind of force. Sooo everything went back together, the car came down and I guess I need to expand my tool collection beyond "borderline cheap toy kit". Ugh.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm paying $120/mo in a 2016 GTI for the same coverage in the same city. Multi policy, full coverage on an 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 is $45/mo additional.

145 a month on the R, but I'm in Colorado and rates here suck because no one can drive in the snow. Need to find a new policy, after the last incident I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of State Farm any more. Anyone know if I'd qualify for USAA with my brother being a former marine?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

145 a month on the R, but I'm in Colorado and rates here suck because no one can drive in the snow. Need to find a new policy, after the last incident I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of State Farm any more. Anyone know if I'd qualify for USAA with my brother being a former marine?

I pay 220 a month for the RS because I manage to pick up 1 speeding ticket each year for the past 5.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KidDynamite posted:

I pay 220 a month for the RS because I manage to pick up 1 speeding ticket each year for the past 5.

When I was loving around checking insurance the other day the RS got quoted at 130. FiST at 100 and FoST at 145. :v:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

When I was loving around checking insurance the other day the RS got quoted at 130. FiST at 100 and FoST at 145. :v:

Yeah I was getting intially quoted that for the RS, then they pulled my driving record. :negative:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

Why do you carry so much coverage? I'm paying $75 for full coverage, $500 deductible, $50/100k, and $1000 per a person medical on my veloster turbo in south Louisiana (high cost area). For reference my 350z when i have it insured is nearly double that.

Because that's not 'so much' coverage? A lot of cars on the road are worth more than $50k, and I'd rather not get stuck holding that bag of poo poo if I do something dumb and manage to total out a Range Rover, pimped out Escalade or Tesla P85D (insert your choice of car worth $60-100k+). Also, the medical side in a serious wreck is going to get stupidly high, very fast, and having a $100k per incident limit on coverage is extremely low if you manage to be the guy at fault for a multi-vehicle accident with a couple/few people ending up in the hospital.

This becomes even more important to think about if you have assets that the courts could decide to tap when you are found liable. You need to protect your own financial future, and if the cost for that is spending an extra $20 per month on car insurance, I consider that fairly cheap.

Monkey Fracas posted:

the FoST is a total pain in the rear end to get on jackstands, holy poo poo. There's probably a good place on the subframe in the center of the car but drat if my jack could get in there with how low the car is... jacking up each side and then placing the jackstands one at a time feels kinda unsafe.

I drive mine up onto a couple of 2 x 10's that I have bolted together into a mini-ramp to raise the car about 4" so that I can get the jack under it and make it easier to put on jackstands, but still end up doing one side at a time. If I need to get it really high for some reason, I'll do it in a couple of steps, alternating sides to raise it. If I don't need to get the front wheels off (like for an oil-change) then I just use ramps.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 12, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I carry 100/300/100 and often think it's not enough. Only runs my wife and I 125 a month though on a 2017 explorer sport and and my 2013 SHO. Silver lining of being middle aged I guess.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I pay about $60/m for my 16 gti. 250 deductable collision/100 comprehensive

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

The Locator posted:

Because that's not 'so much' coverage? A lot of cars on the road are worth more than $50k, and I'd rather not get stuck holding that bag of poo poo if I do something dumb and manage to total out a Range Rover, pimped out Escalade or Tesla P85D (insert your choice of car worth $60-100k+). Also, the medical side in a serious wreck is going to get stupidly high, very fast, and having a $100k per incident limit on coverage is extremely low if you manage to be the guy at fault for a multi-vehicle accident with a couple/few people ending up in the hospital.

This becomes even more important to think about if you have assets that the courts could decide to tap when you are found liable. You need to protect your own financial future, and if the cost for that is spending an extra $20 per month on car insurance, I consider that fairly cheap.

I drive mine up onto a couple of 2 x 10's that I have bolted together into a mini-ramp to raise the car about 4" so that I can get the jack under it and make it easier to put on jackstands, but still end up doing one side at a time. If I need to get it really high for some reason, I'll do it in a couple of steps, alternating sides to raise it. If I don't need to get the front wheels off (like for an oil-change) then I just use ramps.

Do you live somewhere north? I only have a poo poo house and a car so i wouldn't have much assets at risk. Also, not many high end cars and totaling one would take me doing something really dumb. I might move up a little but a dash cam and a little more insurance should cover since how southern laws are in such situations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There's an argument that you're not just looking to CYA, it's to take care of someone who might get hurt by your actions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$120 a month right now for full coverage on the Miata and MS6 with a multi-car discount. It'll drop when I put the Miata on storage in November. It should drop permanently when I pay off the Miata in April and I should see a decent drop across the board when I turn 40 in 29 months.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
220 every six months for full coverage/500 deductible/$1M in liability on a 2010 GTI.

Yeah I'm pretty happy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christobevii3 posted:

Do you live somewhere north? I only have a poo poo house and a car so i wouldn't have much assets at risk. Also, not many high end cars and totaling one would take me doing something really dumb. I might move up a little but a dash cam and a little more insurance should cover since how southern laws are in such situations.

Scottsdale has money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bumped mine to 500 CSL and my six-month premium for both the CRV and WJ is still under $600. Once you get into low-risk brackets it's just cheap as gently caress.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I forget my exact coverage but it is insanely good; I pay about $750/year for the Saabaru through Farmers and get a speeding ticket every 3 years. Farmers has taken good care of me when I was hit while driving, hit on bike, and hit while parked (twice) but that's probably my agent more than anything. Extremely old school and great service.

I qualify for USAA but they are a lot more expensive.

blk fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 12, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
$600 for 6 months and two cars!!! I wish I didn't live near New Orleans sometimes. Insurance went up 20% from Texas because everyone suing each other.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I bumped mine to 500 CSL and my six-month premium for both the CRV and WJ is still under $600. Once you get into low-risk brackets it's just cheap as gently caress.

Unless you live in a high-risk area. I'm almost 40, no at faults, no tickets, multi-line discount cause I have my homeowners with them also and still pay 145 a month. I'm literally the perfect insurance victim, yet still pay out the rear end because people in my state are all loving retards.

I mean I could always get married to save 50 bucks a months, but who the gently caress does that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

I live in the Phoenix Metro area. I am over 50, have no tickets, and no at-fault accidents, and I shop the market every couple of years for better rates, but nobody else even comes close to the rates I get with State Farm Mutual, who I've been with for a very long time now because of that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I know I have said this before, but gently caress me insurance is expensive in the US for the small amount of coverage you get

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
$138 a month here for 2 cars in Miami. Highest incidence of uninsured motorists in the US, I think.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I know I've posted on this before, but there are so many factors that go into insurance rates that it's almost impossible to compare apples to apples.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Anyone here have a Renaultsport Clio 200 or 197?

Worried that it's going to be pretty inert, boring and understeery by comparison to the BMW,

I found the Clio 182 had just too much grip on the stock Pilot Sports - if you threw it at a roundabout it pretty much just gripped, with a little power-underseer on the exit. Not really as much fun as the reviews led me to believe. I'd like something that will basically walk the back end as soon as you back off the throttle, Focus RS, 205 GTI or 306 Rallye style. The -ti will oversteer on throttle or lift-off with no problem.

This is my 200 Cup Trophee (what you'd call "full fat" in UK, only came in cup chassis here).
Here's Chris Harris demonstrating fwd oversteer in one
https://youtu.be/PBYSl3dD-UQ
Coming from a 306 gti6, it's a way sharper, more neutral car that understeers way less (less than any other fwd car I've driven) but you'll also find you won't get significant oversteer at sensible speeds (not as easily as the peugeot), as it just keeps turning in instead. It is a lot of fun though as it's just so reponsive to whatever you throw at it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Hey so where do you place the stands/jack under the car? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey so where do you place the stands/jack under the car? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this

I'm not sure how to describe it to be honest. I put them just behind the front tires on a beam-end (where it connects to the uni-body or something) that seems to be quite solid. I'll try to remember next weekend to take a picture, since I'll be changing the oil then.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

spleen merchant posted:

This is my 200 Cup Trophee (what you'd call "full fat" in UK, only came in cup chassis here).
Here's Chris Harris demonstrating fwd oversteer in one
https://youtu.be/PBYSl3dD-UQ
Coming from a 306 gti6, it's a way sharper, more neutral car that understeers way less (less than any other fwd car I've driven) but you'll also find you won't get significant oversteer at sensible speeds (not as easily as the peugeot), as it just keeps turning in instead. It is a lot of fun though as it's just so reponsive to whatever you throw at it.

Yeah, the 182 cup was like that. Lots of grip unless you're going silly speeds. And as I don't like understeering into trees and ditches, that mostly meant grip 100% of the time. The nice thing about the BMW is you can go at a perfectly sensible speed and then just add a bit of throttle and it oversteers, luridly. Or if you have a wet roundabout just put it in second and go round completely sideways at 25mph. Or if you find a decreasing radius corner it will do lift-off oversteer.

On the other hand, it's not Alpine blue with a very obnoxious exhaust and Gordini stripes, which is a definite weakness. I'll have to go borrow a Cup chassis car and see what it will do.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure how to describe it to be honest. I put them just behind the front tires on a beam-end (where it connects to the uni-body or something) that seems to be quite solid. I'll try to remember next weekend to take a picture, since I'll be changing the oil then.

Yeah I put them on the frame basically right behind the factory-approved pinch weld jack points. Like between the pinch weld and that crossmember. Would appreciate pics though

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
Many of you would benefit from an liability umbrella policy. They don't cissy much and are nice to have in your back pocket.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I put them on the frame basically right behind the factory-approved pinch weld jack points. Like between the pinch weld and that crossmember. Would appreciate pics though

I'm probably using terrible spots, but as promised.. pictures!

First, I drive the car up onto my home-made mini-ramp things to get clearance for the jack.

I then use the point with the red arrow as a jacking point, and lower onto the jackstands as pictured.

If there's a better location, I'd be happy to know about it also!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I'm probably using terrible spots, but as promised.. pictures!

First, I drive the car up onto my home-made mini-ramp things to get clearance for the jack.

I then use the point with the red arrow as a jacking point, and lower onto the jackstands as pictured.

If there's a better location, I'd be happy to know about it also!

I actually used the same jacking point (with mini ramps like yours I could actually get the larger jack under the car to hit it; good idea).

The jack stands are almost in the same spot- like rotate them 90 degrees and move them just off of that black crossmember towards the pinch weld rail (but still like right next to the end of the crossmember).

I'm also making some cribbing blocks out of 2x4s so I can just jack from the pinch weld with an adapter I made out of a hockey puck and set the wheels on the blocks.

Still wish there was a way to get the whole front end up a once but whattya gonna do.

Also hey we have the same color ST- I need to paint my calipers; looks nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Got some wheels at a local yard to mount my winter tires. 2008 focus wheels, 15x6. Going to mount 185/60/15 winter tires, which are super cheap. Good sets are around 350-400. Bonus yard pics and a good fat junkyard dog marinatng in the direct sun.

Since my car is white, I have the entire world of plastidip options of garish high viz colors. What do you guys think? Fluorescent yellow is my first choice, but I could be swayed.